The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

elliotcat

The Sword of Mercy: Friends and Allies 3, an alternate reality for Sith Warrior Ruth along with Agent Wynston and Jedi Master Rho. Today's entry is 900 words. Significant spoiler elements are taken from SW Act 3 and IA Act 2 to set up this reality...

...in which our young LS-by-inclination Ruth is subject to brainwashing and Castellan restraints, and Quinn reveals himself much, much earlier as Baras's agent and Ruth's handler.

When Quinn gave Ruth the day off, she was quick to flee the ship. They were in a city near some extensive, lovely park grounds, and so Ruth just wandered until she came upon a flower garden with a bench at one end and a high hedge maze at the other. She settled on the bench and tried to lose herself in just enjoying the breeze and the sun's warmth and the absence of commands.

"Milord," said Lieutenant Pierce.

Ruth looked up. She liked Pierce: the look of him, the sound of his voice, the directness of his manner. Quinn had forbidden her from accepting or encouraging Pierce's attentions. But she could get away with basic conversation. "Lieutenant," she said. "What's on your mind?"

He settled on the bench next to her, rested his forearms on his knees, looked over at her with calm clear grey eyes. "Been looking for a chance to talk, milord. Got a lot to say. Won't be easy. I have to ask that you not answer 'til I'm done."

"Lieutenant, that's..." He just watched, steadily, and let her take her time, until she felt ready or at least curious enough to listen. "All right," she said. "Go on."

He transferred his gaze to the hedge maze across the garden. "Captain runs things on that ship. I know it. You know it. It's not because you like him. I know it. You know it. You do a good job yelling that part without havin' a voice; not sure why the upfront acting fools so many."

She sat very, very still.

"So, the captain runs things. He hates me, so you may wonder how I've managed to stick around this long. First, he's a piss-poor assassin in his own right; second, him and his master have very good reasons to want me healthy. As for why I even care, I was sent here to watch them, not to mess with you. Baras has enemies."

She stared straight ahead and listened.

"Truth be told," he continued, "I like your style, especially how much you manage to stick it to the captain even when he thinks he owns you. Don't think I don't notice the little things. So yeah, I have a few reasons to be here. Now, I got an interesting tip not long ago from some scrawny Chiss. Explained why Quinn's calling all the shots. Something about having you wrapped up so I can't remove him without going through you. Even if I managed it, 'f I know him he's got you set to do something ugly the minute he dies. Probably wipe out the crew. Not sure what else. So the Chiss is gathering the materials for an alternate solution, but he went comm silent a few weeks back. And now here I am. Waiting or something. Not sure you can even confirm or deny anything I've said here. Just thought you should know, things are in motion. I'm ready and willing to do whatever it takes to get Baras and the captain off of you."

She stared across the field of flowers. The constriction of the previous months was still tight around her, but it made all the difference in the world that someone knew about it. "Thank you," she said.

He looked over at her. "You're a fighter if I ever met one, milord. And anyone stupid enough to try enslaving a Sith deserves everything he has coming."

She struggled for words. "I wonder how Vette's doing," she managed.

He thought that over for a few seconds. "I can tell her, if you think she'll listen. But she never struck me as your greatest fan."

"We used to be friends." She was free to say that.

"Ah. I'll just add that to the captain's list. Now, I'll leave Jaesa out of this. She'll think the prospect of control paints a target on your forehead."

Ruth nodded. You are brilliant. There was one more thing, if she could phrase it in a way her conditioning would allow. "I might get sick or hurt someday."

"That'd certainly open possibilities regarding the captain, milord. It's dangerous for all of us for the resident Sith to be disabled, even briefly, but I'll watch for opportunities if it comes to that."

"Good."

He leaned back and sighed comfortably. "Now, then. I can stay or wander off, as you like. 'Fore you go home I can hit on you so if he figures out we talked you can honestly report that it was about what can laughingly be termed romantic overtures. He would expect it from me."

"I am not even slightly interested in your 'romantic overtures,' lieutenant," she heard herself say, and wondered whether he could hear the very very slight dullness of her voice as the words were forced out.

He studied her face for a moment, then grinned and crossed his arms. "I'll flirt, milord. You'll have an honest explanation for my luring you out here. For now, though, I'll just kick back and enjoy the day." He stretched out his long legs and turned his attention to nothing in particular.

And while he stood guard, Ruth, at least within this bright garden, at least for an hour, was free.

Notes:

This is set a little before Baras and Quinn part ways. Sorting out the power interactions inherent in this universe is crazy weird. But this sets up the lowest level of a very significant alliance.

At least I finally have an opportunity to give Pierce a more substantial role in a storyline!

Earlier posts in this continuity:

Ruth discovers the conditioning

Ruth seeks help on Hoth, after discovering the keyword, before Baras turns on Quinn

This Pierce-Ruth interaction probably occurs here, temporally speaking

Baras tries to ditch Quinn; Quinn makes a power play

Another masterpiece Bright!:) I like how Perice actually has a role. In the SW story really I only see him as a role player on Taris. It's good he gets a role t play.;) Great job once again.:)

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sword of Mercy: Friends and Allies 3, an alternate reality for Sith Warrior Ruth along with Agent Wynston and Jedi Master Rho. Today's entry is 900 words. Significant spoiler elements are taken from SW Act 3 and IA Act 2 to set up this reality...

I did not think I could love Pierce more. I was wrong :D

Pierce made me choke up a little. Not by virtue of anything he actually said, but his stalwart loyalty to Ruth. Oh, here it comes again. I want to see Quinn strung up by his useless shriveled parts and sliced open so he can smell his own intestines while he dies.

I'd give Pierce that order.

In the normal continuum, Ipha is the only Kodrevas sister that is in no way Force sensitive. So I'm flipping that around and asking what if Ipha was the only Force sensitive sister and she was powerful enough to be Jedi? I know the answer to that already. Ipha's not a good military officer. She's sarcastic and sassy and often slithers around orders. Based on that, she'd be a horrible but well intentioned Jedi.

If you play through Imperial Balmorra there's a quest where Darth Lachris tells you

that the way the Republic did so well in the last war was by coupling their military squads with one Jedi a piece. It's how they took so many worlds.

So I'm asking myself why they don't do that now? So in this reality, they are.

It's probably good to note here that in this reality Ipha is not a cyborg, just human. She got her cyborg parts when she was fatally wounded during an operation on Hoth. That doesn't happen here.

Edit: I'm horrible at remembering this stuff. Spoilers for dark side/light side Trooper decisions at the end of the Trooper class story. Sorry. >.>

Friends and Allies, Reluctantly

Major Rendrik Poole marched his squad into General Garza's office as per her orders. He would have liked to have presented her with General Rakton's head in on a pike. He would have liked to have paraded that head through the Senate Tower if only to horrify the stuffy senators who didn't know what war really looked like.

Tanno Vik had been all for the idea, even offered to separate Rakton's head from his body himself. The combined of reason of both Aric Jorgan and Elara Dorne stopped the men from realizing that fantasy. So Poole walked them to Garza's office, empty handed but victorious.

Lieutenant Mai wasn't at her post when they walked in, which was strange. The General's office door was wide open though and quiet voices carried through.

Poole nearly pulled up short when he saw Governor Saresh talking to the General. Why wasn't that woman on Taris, reconstructing swampland and raving about how they were all in this together? Saresh turned and nailed him with a steely purple gaze and from the corner Lieutenant Mai hurried over to announce them.

“I'm sorry Major. Things have been a little crazy here. General Garza, Supreme Chancellor, Havoc Squad is here.”

“Someone went and made you Supreme Chancellor?” Poole said without thinking, the surprise in his voice having nothing to do with awe or happiness.

“You helped me do some great work on Taris,” Saresh said easily, her hands lifting in supplication. “And now, we can begin rebuilding the Republic, stone by stone, together.”

Poole wasn't sure how to respond to that but his attention was diverted when he heard a soft snort from the corner Mai had come from. A woman he hadn't seen before was leaning against the wall, eyeing Saresh with the kind of disdain usually reserved for spice dealers and senators.

Garza cleared her throat before Saresh could respond. “Major. The Supreme Chancellor has come here personally to thank you for your actions in the death of General Rakton. The Republic can rest easy knowing the Empire's greatest general is out of their hands for good.”

“Of course, if he had been taken alive he could have been a useful bargaining tool,” Saresh sighed. “But, nevertheless, the Republic thanks you for your service.”

“Wait a minute,” Poole said, crossing his arms and fixing his hard eyes on Saresh. “You mean if I would have dragged Rakton's sorry hide back in here in a cage, you would have just given him back?”

“We would have bartered him for thousands of Republic POWs,” Saresh answered, unaware of how close she was to getting clocked in the face. “Think of all the families who would have their fathers and mothers returning. Husbands, brothers, sisters.”

“So that Rakton could just turn around and capture them all up again?” Poole snarled.

Saresh faltered and Garza quickly stepped in. “That's a non-issue now, isn't it? Rakton is dead and the Empire is hurting. But this isn't the only reason you were brought here Major.” Garza looked at Saresh and then at the woman across the room.

Poole turned to look at her again, sizing her up and wondering why she was listening in on military business. She wasn't dressed like a soldier. Her black hair was pulled up away from her face and she wore leggings in a deep forest green with a simple long sleeved green and tan tunic tied at her waist. It took him a moment but he picked out the lightsabers hidden under the tunic. Why was there a Jedi here?

Saresh motioned for the woman to step forward but her hand fell to her side with the woman simply shifted against the wall and turned dark green eyes on Havoc. Saresh cleared her throat quietly and the woman sighed. She pushed off the wall and came to stand beside the Supreme Chancellor.

Saresh smiled at Poole like a mother giving her son a great present. “Major Poole, this is Master Ipha Kodrevas. I've requested that General Garza assign a permanent Jedi to each special forces squad.”

“Before I request a Jedi from the Council for each squad under my command,” Garza interjected quickly, “I will be assigning Master Ipha to Havoc as a test.” Garza fixed him with a firm stare. “We want to make sure this arraignment will work.”

“Of course this arraignment will work,” Saresh said, the first notes of irritation beginning to seep into her words. “This is how we won the last war. It's how we'll win this one.”

“Except we didn't win the last war,” Master Ipha said drily.

Saresh pulled her hand back from Ipha's shoulder and glowered a little. “There are planets celebrating under the rule of the Republic because of the alliance between the military and the Jedi.”

Ipha turned her head and pinned Saresh with a bored stare. “So we just pull out and dust off the same tactics that were marginally successful last time? Because the Empire won't see that coming.”

Poole stared at the women before him. He considered for a moment just letting a fight break out. But as much as he wanted to see someone break Saresh's teeth in, it would be disrespectful to Garza. “You want to put a Jedi on Havoc Squad,” he said, drawing their attention. He wanted to make sure he was hearing this right. A Jedi attached to Havoc, who was neither under his command nor accountable to the Republic military. The black haired woman smirked unhappily. She didn't appear to like this either.

“The Council has agreed to lend us Master Ipha's services. She is well aware she will answer to you on all operations. Her duties to the Council come second in this joint venture.” It was like Saresh had read his mind.

Poole couldn't be sure but the thought he saw Ipha's eyes flash with mischief before she settled on an indifferent smirk. “Those are my orders then. Take a Jedi on board Havoc squad.”

Garza nodded and Saresh beamed. Poole wanted to tie her lekku in a knot. Saresh patted Ipha's shoulder and the Jedi moved away from her taking up a position behind Havoc, standing to Yuun's right. She looked each of them in the eye as she moved. She held Poole's eyes the longest.

“Welcome to Havoc Squad, Master Ipha,” Garza said. Poole picked up some uncertainty from her but she hid it well. If Ipha made any reaction to the comment, Poole didn't see. She didn't say anything and Garza motioned to Lieutenant Mai. “Now, if we could turn our attention to actual duty. Supreme Chancellor Saresh, thank you for lending your support to Havoc. I must brief them now.”

“Of course,” Saresh said easily, though it looked like she wanted to stay. The Twi'lek turned and swept out of the room. Everyone relaxed marginally.

Garza clasped her hands together and turned to Poole. “What do you know about Ilum?”

No one had said a word when they left General Garza's office with their assignment. Normally there would have been some banter, or discussion. Vik would have been teasing Dorne, or Jorgan would have been flipping through a data pad as he walked, solidifying details and maneuvers. There was none of that as they approached the Blue Bukk.

Poole moved aside to let his people through and watched Ipha approach with a neutral face. “I should have welcomed you before this,” he said tightly. “It will be good to have you in Havoc.”

Ipha cocked her head and regarded him with those green eyes he couldn't read. “Don't take this as anything other than what it is, Major.”

“And what is it, Master Ipha?”

“Ugh, just Ipha. None of that Master nonsense. And this is punishment, Major. Plain and simple.”

Poole was aware that his people were gathered at the entrance of the Blue Bukk, listening. “I'm not aware Havoc Squad needed to be punished.”

Ipha smiled gently. “This isn't your punishment, it's mine. May I?” She gestured to the ship, asking permission to board.

Poole paused and looked her over then nodded. “Of course. Jorgan, get us ready to take off.”

“Sir,” Jorgan said and headed for the bridge.

Edited by Morgani

In the normal continuum, Ipha is the only Kodrevas sister that is in no way Force sensitive. So I'm flipping that around and asking what if Ipha was the only Force sensitive sister and she was powerful enough to be Jedi? I know the answer to that already. Ipha's not a good military officer. She's sarcastic and sassy and often slithers around orders. Based on that, she'd be a horrible but well intentioned Jedi.

This is just proof that I love Ipha no matter her class, lol. And I really want to see more of this alternate continuum. Oh, and btw:

I'm pretty sure Sana (her real in-game name is Jesana) was Light IV by the end of the class story. We get to the last triumphant moment when we pull Rakton in and Saresh is standing there and I start swearing. And then she pulls this 'give him back' crap. Give back a guy we just spent an ENTIRE CHAPTER trying to catch!!! Yep, my light side trooper finished her story on dark side points. Sigh.

Terrible Jedi are my favorite kind of Jedi. I like Ipha here.

Trooper spoiler notes:

The story includes heavy Trooper endgame spoilers. I think. I know the Rakton stuff is Trooper endgame. (Edit: Thanks bunches for marking!)

Edited by bright_ephemera

This is just proof that I love Ipha no matter her class, lol. And I really want to see more of this alternate continuum. Oh, and btw:

I'm pretty sure Sana (her real in-game name is Jesana) was Light IV by the end of the class story. We get to the last triumphant moment when we pull Rakton in and Saresh is standing there and I start swearing. And then she pulls this 'give him back' crap. Give back a guy we just spent an ENTIRE CHAPTER trying to catch!!! Yep, my light side trooper finished her story on dark side points. Sigh.

I too took the dark side points because I was so angry at Saresh. Ipha brought Rakton in alive and Saresh just wanted to march him back to the Empire. I didn't like her on Taris but I barely noticed her. I loathed her after the Trooper ending.

And sorry about not including spoiler warnings Bright_. I think when I wrap everything up in spoiler tags my brain goes 'that's it, you're done!' I'll try to be better about that in the future. But I went back and edited in a warning too.

Oh my! How did I miss this?? I heart Pierce so much!

I also am another fan of Ipha, in all of her incarnations!!

Oh my! How did I miss this?? I heart Pierce so much!

Pierce rocks. He's really, really canny, but he doesn't get much of a chance to showcase it after you finish taking him off Taris. I'm still sorting out what his role should be given what he knows and who's sponsoring him in this reality - because I think with the right connections he could go from "guy who sticks around for his own amusement while playing no role greater than a character foil to Quinn" to "critical player."

@Morgani, thanks for tagging! I think I'm finally done caring about class spoilers, and I learned about some of the Republic-wide endgame spoilage only a few days ago, but I'm still one of those obsessives who prefers to police spoiler tags for all. It's made me less than popular on some boards, but if I can save one person from finding out So-and-so is Luke's father until the time is right...:rolleyes:

I'm here! I'm taking a break from calculus to post prompts.

Week of 8/29/12

Loyalty and Betrayal - Two loaded words that can have major impacts on a person's life. In an alternate universe, would your loyal trooper disobey orders? Would one of your companions fail to succumb to betrayal? How would loyalty be differently defined by another version of your characters?

The Sword of Mercy: Loyalty and Betrayal 1, an alternate reality for Sith Warrior Ruth along with Agent Wynston and Jedi Master Rho. Today's entry is 1000 words. Significant spoiler elements are taken from SW Act 3 and IA Act 2 to set up this reality...

[Too creepy.]

"My lord, please," he said reproachfully. "That wouldn't be proper." That non-smile disturbed one corner of his mouth and gleamed in his eyes, and then he strode off toward the bridge to prepare for the day's work.

I found this horribly in character and funny at the same time. I probably shouldn't have laughed... I think there's something wrong with me...

Edited by irishfino

Ugh, I teared up. I want to ground this Quinn into paste. Thanks for keeping track of the order of these stories. All I could think while reading it was 'Pierce! Explanations now dammit!' Ugh. Heart wrenching.

It's an interesting challenge, running this plot. (SW character dealings within)

I make an effort to extrapolate from Quinn as he behaves in-game outside the romance. If you look at his basic behavior there's a lot of cold, merciless decisiveness beneath a veneer of obedient deference and I try to stay true to that while writing. This is the man from the "I could shoot you dead with a clear conscience, is that what you want?" school of management. He is not good to his underlings.

I can't stomach doing just these negative scenes, so I have a counter to be pulled together and posted sometime after work.

This is the Sith Warrior group that started with this What If idea about Vette

Loyalty and Betrayal: Just another day being a Sith

1200 words or so.

SW Chapter 3 Spoilers

The kolto tank could barely contain the Talz. The respirator mask was not built for non-humanoids, they improvised with a tube hanging out of the tank. Without a medic she was working blind, the readouts from the monitors were a confusing jumble of numbers. Considering the Empire’s human-Sith centric mentality the monitors were probably incapable of reading anything too alien anyway.

She turned to the table where her apprentice lay. Her face was still and cold. She still wore the purple smears of makeup she favored in life, but without rage to mar her features she looked like a child playing with her mother's makeup. Lord Ninka had no idea what caused her apprentice and Broonmark to fight. She thought back to Vette murdering Quinn and wondered if some form of madness had affected her crew.

They left Vette on Tatooine that morning and docked at a supply station to refuel. She still needed to save Lord Vowran and defeat her former master. She wondered if it was possible without the crew she had learned to depend on. She wandered around the ship wondering if she should give up and run when she noticed Pierce sitting in the conference room. On the table in front of him was an unopened bottle of whisky and two shot glasses. He was waiting for her.

She walked into the room and sat as far away from him as possible. She put her lightsaber on the table and leaned back in her seat. He grinned at the display.

“Quite a day, my lord.” Pierce said acknowledging everything that happened in five words.

“Indeed.” She said managing to give an even shorter response.

He met her eyes and held them, “Quinn was working for Lord Baras.” He sat back and studied her expression. If he expected to get a rise out of her at this point he would be disappointed.

“Been talking to Vette have you?” She should have known Pierce would have a soft spot for the Twilek, he may not like aliens but she was a good fighter and loyal until that day and Pierce really did hate Quinn.

“Been talking to Baras.” He replied, “We all were.”

Lord Ninka suppressed her initial instincts to execute him. Instead she studied his scarred face. He knew she could kill him, he knew she was at the very point of breaking. She could not believe he would set this up just to get himself killed. He watched her face as she processed his words, somehow he knew the precise moment she was ready to hear more.

“Quinn was always his man, straight from Balmorra to your team. Jaesa took some convincing, but when Quinn told her that killing her parents was your decision and could have been avoided she went over. Baras promised Broonmark control over the Talz, turned out he couldn’t resist being clan leader again. He and Jaesa were having a little squabble about who would get to try to kill you next.”

Lord Ninka snorted at that. “And you?” She asked.

“He threatened to kill my daughter.” Ninka’s eyes widened at the revelation, she did not even know Pierce had a child. He finally broke eye contact to glance at the bottle. “He started contacting me after Quesh to test the waters. Fact is, my lord, the only person on this ship Baras knew he couldn’t corrupt is clinging to her life on Tatooine.”

Ninka looked at the ceiling and laughed. She would not cry yet, not until she was alone. “So you’re saying you would have betrayed me as well?”

“Didn’t say that,” Pierce said with disgust, “but with Quinn, Jaesa, and Broonmark, I’d have been dead if I didn’t play along, my daughter too. Quinn had you wrapped around his finger, Jaesa outranked me, and Broonmark took out a Sith so you know he’s got more power than he evidenced in the field.”

Lord Ninka scowled at the comment about Quinn but could not fault the Lieutenant’s logic. “How do I know you’re telling the truth?”

“You don’t, but we both know Baras will use my daughter against me even if I help him off you.” He captured her eyes again, “You’re the Wrath, chosen by the Emperor, and I swore myself to you not that deluded Sith who barely fits his armor. I’m telling you this now so that you know that I want him dead as much for me as for you.” He opened the bottle and poured two shots.

She considered the big man for a long moment. Running was not an option, if she must fight she needed allies, Pierce was as good as anyone. She force pulled the glass to her hand and knocked it back. Walking briskly out of the conference room she snapped Broonmark’s neck as she passed the medical bay.

“On to Corellia then, just the two of us.”

“At your command, my lord.” He replied heading to the bridge.

They were preparing to undock when the comm beeped, Pierce opened the channel.

“My lord,” the image of the station security chief bowed at her, “There is a Sith here requesting an audience.”

“Did he give his name?” Lord Ninka asked, thoroughly tired of surprises.

“No, my lord and he is already in the airlock, I just commed to warn you.” Pierce ended the transmission with disgust.

“If we take off he’ll be vented into space.” He suggested.

Ninka laughed, “No, Pierce. We’ll meet him, I need to kill something and Broonmark wasn’t satisfying.” Pierce grinned as he followed her to the exit.

The Sith knelt, head bowed, in the narrow corridor.

“I am here,” Lord Draahg said his head still bowed, “To offer whatever aid I can grant you against Lord Baras.”

“How is it that you still live?” She asked wondering what other former allies might still be alive.

He looked up, his once handsome face now made alien with a mass of implants and cybernetics.

“Darth Baras will not let me die. He rebuilds me and forces me to do his will as payment for my life. No more. I will fight at your side against him, if I fail, I hope my death will be permanent.”

Lord Ninka’s lips quirked with amusement, “You were more attractive before.”

“My punishment for too many failures.” His face could not quite manage a smile but the humor in his voice was apparent, “I was hoping I had more to offer you than my looks. You will need help against Lord Baras, you are the strongest Sith I have ever known, but even you cannot be in two places at once.”

For a moment Lord Ninka was almost crushed with unbearable sadness. Every ally she had ever known was only looking out for himself. He would turn on her at the slightest sign of weakness, they all would. There was only one person who thought of her first, and Ninka had thrown Vette away. She pushed the sorrow down, crushing it with her anger, weakness and affection would stop here. It was the way of the Sith and there would be no other life for her.

She drew herself up to her full height and raised her chin. “Very well,” she nodded at her new ally. “You will take orders from Captain Pierce. If you have a problem with that, speak up now.”

Lord Draahg bowed to them both, "He was the only one strong enough not to do Baras' bidding even with the threats against him. I can accept his command." She gestured for them to board.

“Captain, my lord?” Pierce asked following the Sith he would be commanding.

“A field promotion,” Lord Ninka confirmed, “We’re going to war.”

Notes

So my obsessive rotation will now be Scourge, Pierce, Kill/Maim/Humiliate Quinn repeat.

So my obsessive rotation will now be Scourge, Pierce, Kill/Maim/Humiliate Quinn repeat.

May I just say I adore this rotation?

I've been on the verge of hating Quinn for quite some time, but these ones where he's responsible for Vette getting shipped back to slavery have me wanting his guts strung out. Like BAD want him dead. Like REALLY BAD want him dead. Maybe I'm just having a bad day...sigh.

The Sword of Mercy: Loyalty and Betrayal 2, an alternate reality for Sith Warrior Ruth along with Agent Wynston and Jedi Master Rho. Today's entry is 1450 words. In addition to the standard SW Act 2 and IA Act 2 spoilers in this continuity, today's entry has major spoilers from the Jedi Knight Act 3.

[Too creepy.]

May I just say I adore this rotation?

I've been on the verge of hating Quinn for quite some time, but these ones where he's responsible for Vette getting shipped back to slavery have me wanting his guts strung out. Like BAD want him dead. Like REALLY BAD want him dead. Maybe I'm just having a bad day...sigh.

I know what you mean, I hate it when he wins, he doesn't deserve happiness or victory or any of the the fluffy bunnies. Though, you have to admit, good writing is the kind that makes you feel things including getting you mad. I was thinking the other day that the problem with kindles and computers are that I can't throw the book across the room when it makes me angry then chase after it and read some more.

Which is why I like beating Quinn up, it's so fun he becomes almost likeable, I think I need to make his environment match his petulant arrogant unapologetic attitude. Of course in this AU he is dead and has been replaced by Lord Draahg. This AU will be my ode to all the attractive NPC's that I should have been able to have INSTEAD of Quinn.

Notes

That...really just sums up my fanfic desires. Right there. Done.

Ah...hating Quinn. Sometimes I sit in front of the keyboard and try to think through the two most wildly opposing images I can make of the same character, just to let the cognitive dissonance simmer as I write. Cognitive dissonance tastes a lot like fun.

I know what you mean, I hate it when he wins, he doesn't deserve happiness or victory or any of the the fluffy bunnies. Though, you have to admit, good writing is the kind that makes you feel things including getting you mad. I was thinking the other day that the problem with kindles and computers are that I can't throw the book across the room when it makes me angry then chase after it and read some more.

Which is why I like beating Quinn up, it's so fun he becomes almost likeable, I think I need to make his environment match his petulant arrogant unapologetic attitude. Of course in this AU he is dead and has been replaced by Lord Draahg. This AU will be my ode to all the attractive NPC's that I should have been able to have INSTEAD of Quinn.

Ha! That criticism of the Kindle never occurred to me, but you're right. I do yell at my monitor while reading on the computer. A lot. But I don't throw said monitor across the room.

"Parade of delicious people who aren't Quinn" sounds awesome.

Loyalty and Betrayal

Things Not To Tell Your Friend's Crush

Spoilers for JK and SW

Backstory:

In this AU, the parents of two of my characters from the Short Fic thread (Esma and Skari) never left the Empire. Instead, their Force-sensitive daughter became a Sith. Names have been changed, or rather retained, from their childhood. Ukaita is Esma. Also, a couple other changes in this AU, namely Lord Scourge stayed on as Wrath, his vision while still involving Esma/Ukaita does not involve a Jedi, and I've magically made his life extra long (but not immortal) and no one can sense his emotions but he still has them. Ukaita's story somewhat mixes SW and JK, but Baras is a minor irritant instead of a major player.

"Kill everything in the galaxy," Ukaita said blankly, stunned. Lord Scourge had outlined his vision for her and although she couldn't sense his emotions, she was sure that he was telling the truth. She was also sure that the man was extremely distracting. His last statement, however, had captured her full attention.

"That is his plan."

"But what would he rule then?" she asked, standing up and pacing back and forth.

"He does not care about ruling, only about power."

"Huh. I rather like ruling, myself," she said with half a grin.

The Wrath smiled slightly, "For the Sith to rule weaker beings is the natural way of things."

"Indeed," she said with a nod, "So, do we have a plan to save all life?"

"Yes, and it starts on Belsavis."

Ukaita stood, "Very well, I shall prepare for the trip."

Vette swung in the door with a mischevious grin, "Don't forget to take your plushy bunny. You always get cranky when you forget it." She bounced off while Ukaita considered all the ways she could kill the Twi'lek. She turned slowly towards Lord Scourge, wincing inwardly.

"I don't suppose it is a viscious...bunny," he said slowly, one eyebrow raised.

Ukaita sighed, "It's pink. And fluffy."

"Ah."

"It's just..." Ukaita clamped off her words.

Scourge's mouth twitched, "Go on."

"I like something to cuddle at night," she said defensively.

Scourge stood and walked slowly into her space. Her pulse sped up to unhealthy levels, but she stood her ground. "Leave the toy at home." He lifted her chin with his finger, slid his large calloused hand along her jawline and into her hair. "You won't need it."

Author's Note:

I have no idea where this story is going if anywhere, but I needed something that made me grin :)

I would put this torrent of stuff in its own thread if I could work it in a logical order, but I can't. Things come in bits and flashes, here and there, in a total jumble. Here's a side story, the Sword of Mercy: Loyalty and Betrayal 3, and this one is all about the end of the Agent's Act 2. No Warrior spoilers, for once, nor Jedi Knight. Just Wynston. 600 words.

[Too creepy.]