PVE: Assault Rotation, Ammo, DPS issues.

mykaelmjr

Hello fellow troopers,

I recently got back into my trooper after a long break from SWTOR. Prior to my break I played a guardian and I wanted something different. I decided to go with a vanguard since essentially they are melee fighters and I like that they can tank. I am now having issues with ammo and my rotation.

Here is my starting rotation: Battle Focus-Relic-IR-HIB-SS-IP

From there I try to keep my ammo above 8. When it looks like I'm getting low, I hit HS.

My priority system:

Keep IR up at all times but don't clip.

Keep HIB on CD.

SS when up.

IP as much when others are on CD and when I won't dip below 8 ammo.

Here is my spec as well:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/vanguard#i2i-32-32ikdccif

Stat Priority: Aim>Accuracy to 110%>Power>Crit 35%>Surge75%

I seem to mess up the priority system and then find myself trying to play catch up due to dipping below 8 ammo. Should I be weaving in HS between IPs? I want to keep sticking with this guy because even for his level of gear he's pulling some great numbers during parsing. My guardian just doesn't seem to scale well with his gear now and he's not that fun anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am also open to spec suggestions as well.

Thanks!

Edited by mykaelmjr

Yes, you absolutely must weave Hammer Shots in regularly in Assault spec if you don't want to run into ammo issues.

Also, don't Stock Strike whenever its up, only Stock Strike 3 GCD's after a High Impact Bolt reset so it always gives you another chance to reset High Impact Bolt (since it has the best proc chance), if you WERE going to use it but you just proc'd your Ionic Accelerator, use Ion Pulse instead.

Ok that makes more sense. Typically what's best to fill up the 3 GCDs? I was readying that some people use full auto or pulse cannon.

It appears the basic rule would be:

SS-(proc)HIB-Filler-Filler-Filler-SS.

If you hit 8 ammo or less, HS. If not, IP, Full auto or Pulse cannon.

Is this correct? Also, is it still best not to spec into AP?

Hello fellow troopers,

I recently got back into my trooper after a long break from SWTOR. Prior to my break I played a guardian and I wanted something different. I decided to go with a vanguard since essentially they are melee fighters and I like that they can tank. I am now having issues with ammo and my rotation.

Here is my starting rotation: Battle Focus-Relic-IR-HIB-SS-IP

From there I try to keep my ammo above 8. When it looks like I'm getting low, I hit HS.

My priority system:

Keep IR up at all times but don't clip.

Keep HIB on CD.

SS when up.

IP as much when others are on CD and when I won't dip below 8 ammo.

Here is my spec as well:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/vanguard#i2i-32-32ikdccif

Stat Priority: Aim>Accuracy to 110%>Power>Crit 35%>Surge75%

I seem to mess up the priority system and then find myself trying to play catch up due to dipping below 8 ammo. Should I be weaving in HS between IPs? I want to keep sticking with this guy because even for his level of gear he's pulling some great numbers during parsing. My guardian just doesn't seem to scale well with his gear now and he's not that fun anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am also open to spec suggestions as well.

Thanks!

How can you mess up a spec you can play on a N64 controller?

I only use IR when RP is up and this helps with my ammo management a lot and also i run the 8-6-27 spec and spec into adrenaline fueled instead of burnout. this seems weird but u get RP up a lot and get to use IR then.I almost never run into major ammo issues and parse for around 1800 dps sustained for 3 minutes with starting burst of 2500-3500 for 30 seconds. This is in mostly campaign with a few 63 grade mods and MH and OH dread guard.

I have a related question. I think I'm having dps issues as well. I seem to only pull like 1500 on most boss fights, except for Kephess, which is just sick for dps (20k rail shots 4tw :p). I run the non-AP build, have maybe 37% crit, 78% surge. Gear is 1 DG piece, rest is campaigh/bh, my belt/bracer/barrel are all DG, and Hazmat implants.

I'm thinking I should be pulling a lot more dps. I know the fights are situational, so I go to the training dummy, and I can get like 1900 at the start, but it slowly drops over time, settles around 1700 maybe.

What should my dps numbers look like? Or, if someone can toss out a number for say, full campaign should be XXX, that would work. I believe around 1200 dps is the general level for Rakata, but I wasn't sure what to expect from campaign and higher stuff.

Thanks.