Does Expertise help a Companion heal more?

QuietGoneJinn

So whenever I do PvE I use Quinn as a healer. I currently have him in full Centurian PvP gear. . .If I start replace that gear with Rakata would he be a better healer? Is the Expertise doing anything? Logically since I'm a Person and not "Environment" it would make sense if Expertise healed me more than PvE gear.

Any confirmation on this?

So whenever I do PvE I use Quinn as a healer. I currently have him in full Centurian PvP gear. . .If I start replace that gear with Rakata would he be a better healer? Is the Expertise doing anything? Logically since I'm a Person and not "Environment" it would make sense if Expertise healed me more than PvE gear.

Doesnt quite work like that, or every healer in the game would have to be in war hero.

You would do much better to gear him in spare rakata from guild ops runs, or even Columi. As the above posters have said, Expertise is PVP only, and he's not used in PVP, plus, the rakata or Columi have other stat increases that increase his healing. But I wouldn't bother going over rakata gear.

You're thinking of Presence.

If you mouse over your presence stat, it will tell you how much of a boost you are giving your companion.

Your companions have 0 presence, it is your presence that does it. So the switch from PvP gear to PvE would be an improvement if and only if the pve stats are better.

Expertise would only make him a better healer if you're actively fighting another player.

Not true. Expertise does NOTHING for a companion. Presence (on you, not him) would increase his healing ability. Expertise only comes into play when YOU are in combat against another player and nothing else. Player characters are the only thing affected by Expertise

Edited by Owsley

Wait so if I am reading this post correctly in open world pvp it is better to wear lets say Campaign over WH?

Expertise ONLY helps when you are in PvP Combat. It helps in ALL PvP Combat regardless of Open World or War Zones. It ONLY impacts actual player characters NOT companions.

If you engage in PvE combat, it has NO effect.

Edited by Owsley

Wait so if I am reading this post correctly in open world pvp it is better to wear lets say Campaign over WH?

Your own question provided the answer. Expertise ONLY effects combat vs other player.

If it's not another player in a pvp situation, then only pve stats apply. Location does not matter.

Even then it doesn't make you a better healer. I once forgot to switch gear when pvping with guild members. Somehow the imps ignored me and tried to focus the sage down. Between his self-heals and me healing him, their entire team couldn't kill him. This when on for several minutes until they either changed tactics or the match was over, I don't recall.

Point is, I put up some MASSIVE numbers that match in pve gear ONLY because they ignored me. I took no damage.

But that pve gear would have offered little protection against players in pvp gear.

If you are questing or running around murdering NPC's then no Expertise will not make your healing companion or any other companion better. If however you are running around doing some open world PVP, then I would think that the fact that you are in PVP Combat, that should trigger the Expertise effects.

Expertise ONLY helps when you are in PvP Combat. It helps in ALL PvP Combat regardless of Open World or War Zones. It ONLY impacts actual player characters NOT companions.

If you engage in PvE combat, it has NO effect.

As your text is not yellow, post some proof of what you say or please post it as opinion and/or supposition. As at least one other person has mentioned it should, let me stress that SHOULD be applied in open world PVP. The reason I say this is because the companion character is an extension of the player, when ever you are not in a group you have your companion with you, you can exert a certain amount of control over the companion character. To say that companion healing and damage would not be affected by Expertise in open world PVP with out some kind of proof is showing a lack of programming knowledge.

Let me explain a little bit of programming here so everyone understands what I mean.

Programming at all levels has a start point and an end point, and follows a specific path to get from start to finish. This path is modifiable by smaller included programs called classes and functions, and also by selections normally using if statements to decide what variables are applied and when. Let me illustrate how this might look with a little bit of semi-false code that I am writing on the fly in my head right now. Some explaination is included inside the spoiler below, I put it inside a spoiler so it's there if you want/need it and avoidable if you don't.

// is used to exclude the test on that line that follows the double slashes

/**/ does the same thing but ignores all the text in between the *'s

also you would have to assume that there is a Player class and that player is an instance of it with pvp and expertise being variables inside this class that are publicly available

if (player.pvp == true)             /* this is checking to see if the pvp variable inside the player instance is true*/
{
          player.healing = (player.primaryStat/primaryStatModifier)+(player.expertise/expertiseModifier);          /*when the player.pvp is
true you would modify player healing stat by expertise value attached to the player character*/
}else
{
         player.healing = (player.primaryStat/primaryStatModifier);                  /*the rest of the time the players healing stat is calculated
normally*/
}

Now as someone that is learning Java and C# right now, I can tell you that the easiest way to create a companion class that is similar to the player class is to either use a more basic class as a template or prototype for each, or to make one an extension of the other. Now this would give both characters similar stats abilities and triggers as they both originated from one source class. I hope that this is insightful for people and if it helps just one person understand the process a little bit better then I will feel that I have not wasted my time.

I thought that when you fought outside of Outlaw's Den and Warzones that Ashara with War Hero would kill annoying Smugglers and Troopers faster. And unless I'm very much mistaken this is in fact the case.

As for why I like PvPing with companions... 5/8 Legacy Abilities = faceroll opponents of equal skill.