In what year, and how old were you?

_Pi_

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...when you watched your first SW movie?

This is not meant to be a defacto "how old are you" thread. I asked the same thing on the old forum, and there were some great answers reminiscing about people's first time. What I found most appealing was how many parents passed their fandom on to their kids. Actually, one of my most cherished memories is when I took my 5 year old niece to see Phantom Menace when it first came out.

So for me... it was June 1977, I was 13, in a theater in Springfield, MO. I lived in Texas and was visiting friends of my parents by myself. They had kids of their own, but were a few years older than me. So they tried to keep me entertained as best they could. One day the dad says he heard of a new movie about "space", and it was supposed to be pretty good.

Now, a few days before we had gone to see A Bridge Too Far. Which I enjoyed because it was a war movie with lots of big name stars. But it was three hours long, and I didn't really understand the plot because it seemed that the good guys lost. And even at 13 years old I knew the allies had won the war. Also, back then "space movies" were kind of bad. Except for Kubrick's 2001 which went way over my head. Anyway, I was kind of reluctant to go. Then after it was over I couldn't shut up about it. When I got back to Texas (small town), I was crushed to find that our theater wasn't showing it yet.

Side note: yeah, I'm old.

Great story! I can remember my first encounter with Star Wars. I don't recall exactly how old I was but I was very young. My father showed it to me, and since then I have loved everything Star Wars. I was raised collecting all the action figures from Episodes 1,2,3. unfortunately this past year, my father passed away. He would have totally digged this game. I have all of his old old old star wars collectables :)

Random fact. I live in Springfield, MO! Did you see it at the (now old) Tower Theater on Glenstone, if you can recall. My dad saw it there 13 times I think he said... LOL.

It was the first friday in june 1977. Like the second weekend it was out. I was 6 years old. Saw it at the drive in theatre in a ford galaxy station wagon that had a space scene window see through all over the back. I was hooked instantly and every christmas thereafter i got nothing but star wars toys. I was a member of the star wars fan club, usedto get the bantha tracks newsletter and have a ton of original movie posters still from the fan club. A couple of which are worth big bucks now. Including the one from the fan club that was the original undated Revenge of the jedi poster.

I saw it in '77. I was 13 living in Munich, Germany (army brat). I lived there three years and this is the only movie I saw off of the military base.

Oh yeah, the movie was in English with German sub-titles :)

Edited by Teksun

Opening day at the Loews Astor Plaza in 1977. This was back in the days before the "multiplex" -- this theater had over 1400 seats. It was equipped with a (then) state of the art Dolby Surround Sound system. After the opening "wall-o-text" scrolled off into the distance and the republic/rebel cruiser sailed in from overhead, half of the 1400 heads in the audience (the front half of the theater) reflexively turned to look up and behind as the low rumble of the Imperial Star Destroyer preceded its actual appearance on the screen. This definitely included me as I was sitting dead center in something like the 5th row.

They're commonplace now, but the sound and special effects were far beyond anything else at the time.

But the best part? We paid my girlfriend's (now wife's) kid brother to stand in the four hour box-office line to buy our tickets. His fee? A ticket to the movie! (btw _PI_... you're not the only "old one" here!)

I remember it was early/mid 80's I was about 5 or 6 years old and I had the flu so I was spending the day in my parents bedroom because it had the seperate bathroom. And I was laying in bed watching TV when my mom came in and turned A New Hope on the TV. And I remember sitting there watching the Tie Fighters and the X-Wings going "Wow!!! That's cool!". I was hooked ever since.

I think it was 1995, and I was either five or had just turned six. It was some TV special, they were showing all three in a row, and me and my cousins (one was five, one was ten, all three of us girls).

I remember complaining about the "whiny kid and old guy" (Luke and Obi-Wan), and demanding to see more of the "cool guy and his dog-person" (Han and Chewie, of course), while my older cousin thought the droids were the coolest things ever. We got bored about halfway through the training with Yoda before we got distracted.

I was reluctant to even watch Star Wars as a kid until I was around 6 which would have been 1994. I started with Episode V because that was the only one Blockbuster had in stock. Then I remember a few years after that they had the OT in theatres my dad took my brother and I to see all three when they were released. Still one of my fondest childhood memories.

But I've been a huge fan since first grade.

Edited by ibage

...when you watched your first SW movie?

This is not meant to be a defacto "how old are you" thread. I asked the same thing on the old forum, and there were some great answers reminiscing about people's first time. What I found most appealing was how many parents passed their fandom on to their kids. Actually, one of my most cherished memories is when I took my 5 year old niece to see Phantom Menace when it first came out.

So for me... it was June 1977, I was 13, in a theater in Springfield, MO. I lived in Texas and was visiting friends of my parents by myself. They had kids of their own, but were a few years older than me. So they tried to keep me entertained as best they could. One day the dad says he heard of a new movie about "space", and it was supposed to be pretty good.

Now, a few days before we had gone to see A Bridge Too Far. Which I enjoyed because it was a war movie with lots of big name stars. But it was three hours long, and I didn't really understand the plot because it seemed that the good guys lost. And even at 13 years old I knew the allies had won the war. Also, back then "space movies" were kind of bad. Except for Kubrick's 2001 which went way over my head. Anyway, I was kind of reluctant to go. Then after it was over I couldn't shut up about it. When I got back to Texas (small town), I was crushed to find that our theater wasn't showing it yet.

Side note: yeah, I'm old.

My parents saw Ep VI when it released in Jan of 1983 I was born less than a month before which is kind of ironic since I saw Star Wars for the very first time on my birthday in 1986 I was 4 years old and have loved the franchise ever since. Yeah I will admit I am almost 30 but then again theres still a little of the kid we used to be in all of us no matter how old we get. Also like the person who started this thread I couldnt shut up about it either. I also find it funny that my godmother was in the same high chool graduation class as Star Wars creator George Lucas.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, 1999. I just looked this up. This means I was 8 years old, which just seems odd to me. this is the first movie I ever saw in theaters as well. I was big into star wars for a while, and told my parents I was changing my name to Luke Skywalker. Good times. Its weird that I was 8 though... could have sworn I was younger.