Lightning Pillars on Stormcaller and Firebrand

Anyone else having a problem where a lightning pillar will be dropped on the tank or dps who is on Stormcaller right before Defensive Systems casts? Last week and last night our 8 man group kept having this problem, over and over. And since Defensive Systems isn't exactly on a timer, we couldn't just have the tank move out early.

It seemed like the pillar was being dropped on the tank prior to defensive system instead of waiting for that phase of the fight. Every single other lightning spire prior to that and after defensive system (up until right before the next defensive system) was dropping correctly on the furthest ranged player. Are we missing something or is this a bug?

Edited by zeretul

Anyone else having a problem where a lightning pillar will be dropped on the tank or dps who is on Stormcaller right before Defensive Systems casts? Last week and last night our 8 man group kept having this problem, over and over. And since Defensive Systems isn't exactly on a timer, we couldn't just have the tank move out early.

It seemed like the pillar was being dropped on the tank prior to defensive system instead of waiting for that phase of the fight. Every single other lightning spire prior to that and after defensive system (up until right before the next defensive system) was dropping correctly on the furthest ranged player. Are we missing something or is this a bug?

The reason it does that is the tank has lost agro to the melee near him. The tank needs to spam taunts to stay to the top of the agro list for this fight.

Edited by Dast

When standing on top of the tank you get a debuff called Magnetic Stability (or something like that), make sure your tank is getting that buff. It might be some freak situation where your tank is standing in the one spot where he won't get that debuff.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have us spam taunt and see if that helps, and make sure to position the dps a bit better :D

No no no no.

One of the Ads that spawns drops the shields, and is SUPPOSED to drop them on the tank. If the DPS has enough passive aggro, the first one falls on your face. You need to interrupt (Whether it be with a leap to get to the ad, or a kick/snare) the cast bar you'll see above the left (Atleast, it was left for myself every time) ad or it'll have a chance of screwing you.

We wiped to this 6 times before I noticed it. Didn't happen again.

This is because Firebrand is being DPS'd down faster than Stormcaller. Before the shield phase, Stormcaller may cast Double Destruction. If Fire hits his life threshold first, the shield phase will start while Storm is doing DD. This causes the first lightning pillar to fall on your tank while he's standing on Storm. This also delays the shield on Storm's side, which can be a problem in HM.

We fixed / worked around this issue by making sure Storm was ~5% ahead at the start. Basically, you always want Storm's life to be the trigger for the shield phase.

• 2 weeks later...
This is because Firebrand is being DPS'd down faster than Stormcaller. Before the shield phase, Stormcaller may cast Double Destruction. If Fire hits his life threshold first, the shield phase will start while Storm is doing DD. This causes the first lightning pillar to fall on your tank while he's standing on Storm. This also delays the shield on Storm's side, which can be a problem in HM.

We fixed / worked around this issue by making sure Storm was ~5% ahead at the start. Basically, you always want Storm's life to be the trigger for the shield phase.

This makes a lot of sense, as lastnight we were having the exact same problem and the one factor I noticed is it happened when I was positioned to get the DD cast on my soakers... and the spike dropped down where I was and killed my soakers. So the encounter is trying to enter phase 2 while stormcaller is stuck casting DD.

Thanks for this thread! We were wondering that last night and then we changed the DPS between tanks and it solved the problem. We didn't figure it out like that but we thought more experienced players would be able to "dodge the bullets" better. When we changed the more experienced DPS to Stormcaller the problem didn't come up again. That time, our DPS on Firebrand's side was about 1-2% behind Stormcaller. Thanks for the explanation! :)

the way we deal with this "occurrence" is that the tank runs really far behind the melees, down from the stormcaller-tank when/if the 2nd DD (the DD that might eventually be cast shortly before defensive systems kicks in) is cast.

like this, the tank puts down the lightning pillar behind the melees not in them and he can start kiting right away when the defensive systems is cast.

you can see this in our video as well, at ~1:02

basically, like Ryouga said, its possible to avoid this completely by dpsing down stormcaller faster than firebrand, but since you should try to down them as even as possible and normally do not have enough dps to call out for a dps stop we get along with this tactic pretty good.

Edited by yuvie

As what yuvie said, during double destruction have your tank on the ground behind the dps on stormcaller and you can completely avoid the melee getting hit and one shot with the lightning pillars. Works everytime.