Proc Trinkets and Shields on the Battle Tanks Encounter

While analyzing the logs from our attempts at 16 hard Firebrand and Stormcaller last night, we noticed a problem with the proc trinkets that makes them a real liability on this fight.

If you are unfamiliar with the fight, Shield Generators spawn that the raid has to run under to avoid the Mortar Volley attack. While you are under the shields killing adds, Mortar Volley from the Firebrand tank hits the shield and slowly kills it. It is very important that players do not accidentally DPS the Shield Generator, since even a small amount of additional damage can end the phase early, exposing your group to unnecessary Mortar Volley damage.

If you check your logs from that fight, you will notice that every player under a shield does damage to the Shield Generator from Mortar Volley. It is counted as player damage, not boss damage. The problem, however, is this Mortar Volley damage can proc DPS trinkets such as the Campaign Relic of Elemental Transcendance, causing them to damage the Shield Generator. We are noticing the same problem with proc trinkets for all our DPS classes.

While you can fight through this bug, even a small amount of damage on the Shield Generators can lead to it dying early, raiders taking unnecessary damage, and stress on your healers that shouldn't be happening. Damage from Mortar Volley on the shields is tuned pretty tightly, and this extra damage from proc trinkets can cause problems that seem unintentional in terms of encounter design.

I can't be 100% sure it is parsing right, but Mortar Volley consistently shows up as damage done by players to shields. At first I thought our DPS was doing a ridiculous amount of unintentional damage to the shields, but it's just how the combat log displays Mortar Volley. One of our DPS was using an on-use trinket last night, and he didn't have any damage shown to the shields aside from Mortar Volley.

Great catch. I remember an employee saying in the combat parser thread in the PTS forum that many times "environmental damage" was attributed to a player by the game, so it looks like a bug/oversight that this damage is able to proc a relic. On multiple attempts we had our shield fail unexpectedly, and this would explain it. Edited by Somokon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Wow, I somehow think that attributing anything other than fall or lava or acid damage to a player is a really bad idea. Sure it makes it convenient that exhaustion and fall damage don't give us repair costs, but this seems like a shortcut that might cause other bugs in the future. Maybe reclassifying Mortar Volley as boss damage will fix the bug?

P.S: A big thank you to Methodical for catching this bug.

The bug has been fixed months ago, stop posting here.