Announcing ‘Onslaught’, the Newest Expansion Coming to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

DanielSteed

Sounds great, a real return to the sor way for doing things rather than the god awful chapter system. and a return to corellia!

not sure i like the sound of these "tactical items" that "change the way you play" , they just sound like the cause of more call imbalance complaining.

Edited by benmas

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hell,...It's About Time!!" Tychus Findlay.

Ohh and could we get the Blue Mandalorian Full armor with the expansion which Aordo ask for and many others through out the years.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/swtor/images/b/b0/Unidentified_Mandalorian_Leader.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/230?cb=20160123094800

Basilisk war droid that Edenzoid ask for. Maybe find it on Dxun. In the old mandalorian base that Mandalore the Preserver had. an old Basilisk war droid they never finished repairing so the player needs to head out and find the missing parts, finish the repairs and it later becomes a playable mount. I think that would be cool idea and would please alot of mandalorian fans with their own basilisk war droid.

https://swtor.fandom.com/wiki/Basilisk_war_droid

And also Barel Ovair Black Robes.

https://i.redd.it/q4gkagzr1nb21.jpg

Edited by Swook

Today we are happy to announce our next expansion - Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught! The expansion will launch free for all subscribers this September. New planets, flashpoint, Operation, large itemization changes codenamed “The Spoils of War” and more will be featured in this expansion! You can learn all about Onslaught in our Expansion Announcement article, here.

In honor of our Celebration Cantina we are sharing with everyone a redeemable code: SWCELEBRATION19. Simply redeem that code on your account for a Celebration inspired character flair and four stronghold decorations.

What is everyone excited for?

I am excited about the plethora of PVP content you mentioned, the reworked reward system to ensure players are incentivitized to play objectives and most important of all, class balance in different environments. Oh, hold on a second, there is not a single word regarding these, that was an expansion a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Then I am excited if you can push RNG and gear grinding any further trying to persuade everyone it is fun. Can hardly wait for the new FOTM classes and the nerf bat. More "Gathering Feedback" threads left without feedback. More fashion design and PVE elements to the game so that care bears open their purses and keep the game alive. And wrap all this up in corporate bulls*it please.

Edited by varietasplus

I've never been so happy to be so wrong in my whole life about Bioware! I thought that was it for SWTOR for the past half a year due to a lack of any type of good communication and Anthem being pretty average on release.

A very good sign that things are getting back to normal. I'm sorry bioware i ever doubted. Not sure what came over me recently, but with this announcement, heck it doesn't matter any more, i'm just so glad to see this expec coming out towards the end of the year.

I'm gonna wait for some more info about the "new gear", "new set bonuses" and "new abilities".

And for it all to be accessible on the PTS, though I imagine we're gonna have to wait awhile for it.

Cautiously optimistic.

This feels like the first real expansion since SoR.

KotFE and KotET really were more of a failed attempt at a relaunch.

This expansion feels more natural.

See how the story plays out first.

- Kotfe and Kotet were the best expansions in this game. 4.0 and 5.0 have the epicness cutscenes and plot twists over all years of Swtor.

How much story are we getting? Are we just helping Malgus or defeating him (again). I hope the amount of story is significant and not just a couple of flashpoints. Does switching factions still apply? It's going to be a long 5 months.

^ this. Another story that short like Iokath, Ziost or Ossus? Ossus was dissapointed btw. I thought i will fight with Malgus a little with my Jedi. Nothing. Where is 6.0? I keep asking for it for 3 YEARS. You still keep promising it and again nothing. I don't need next story what have only 30 minutes of all cutscenes. Kotfe and Kotet i played half year each of it and that was good.

~ Tsukito, Alliance Commander

Edited by Trlance

- Kotfe and Kotet were the best expansions in this game. 4.0 and 5.0 have the epicness cutscenes and plot twists over all years of Swtor.

"the best", no, not by a longshot, the story was dull and was more cutscene than gameplay, and i'm here to play a game not watch a film. the little gameplay inbetween the episodes of keeping up with the valkorians consisted of killing skiytroopers over, and over and over and over with maybe one of those horizon guards (gUaRdS) or a zakuul knight,

also remember, there are more than just story players who play this game, all of which were ignored for long stretches of time.

What is everyone excited for?

Well it's this bit:

Our philosophy for this expansion is, play your way. Items have always been an important part of your character’s identity, but for the first time we are offering true depth and choice with exciting new items that let you decide how to play in the upcoming battle.

Thank you for finally letting us have rifle-wielding bounty hunters, saberstaff-wield sorcerers, etc.

This is what you mean, right? :)

"the best", no, not by a longshot, the story was dull and was more cutscene than gameplay, and i'm here to play a game not watch a film. the little gameplay inbetween the episodes of keeping up with the valkorians consisted of killing skiytroopers over, and over and over and over with maybe one of those horizon guards (gUaRdS) or a zakuul knight,

also remember, there are more than just story players who play this game, all of which were ignored for long stretches of time.

- only killing enemys? What about Star Fortress? Great 14 chapter KoTFE where you play and fight with Mandos? Walking with Walker not once? Party in Palace Dragon on Zakuul and a lot of fun in it? This things were so original not mention epic story. You said it's dull? Then what? .. Whining Tau Idair on Ossus is better? Here you will got AGAIN 1 or 2 hours gameplay. There? .. 9 chapters and 9 diffrent locations inside each of them.

+ on Kotfe and Kotet story you have smth epic in every cutscene. Satele, Marr, Arcann, Vaylin, Valkorion, Senya, VIzla, SCORPIO (random companion and what? .. she taked Eternal Throne!) and whole Eternal Empire thing. When you said it's dull then you just trolling.

Here what you have? Again DULL war between Jedi vs Sith? With crying Tau Idair on front and Malgus with what i didn't share single word on Ossus? Like Vitiate said to Arkvin Hood - Jedi Knight on Ziost: "how pathetic".

My Jedi Guardian has been away from his wife Kira for about 6 in-game years now , so I just want a return... soon. Very soon!
- sure .. soon like 6.0 coming "soon". I still wait for Zenith and Holiday. I don't care about companion console on Odessen.

~ Tsukito , Alliance Commander

Edited by Trlance

I'm really happy with everything that you showed us at the cantina. I'm looking forward to Onderon in particular! I hope you've had the time to include some fun puzzles for new datacrons on these worlds too. If not, I'll understand but I like the break from the usual gameplay those puzzles offer us. :)

Really happy that nautolans will be a thing too!

This.

It did have its better points such as level sync, better travel, etc.

But the poor level design and cutscene heaviness made it poorly executed

It is very shortsighted to rank expansions by merely the story. Changes to classes, balance, item economy, technologial upgrades, quality of live improvements, etc. are just as important. But if you want to force this approach, even then Rise of the Hutt Cartel, the first expansion is superiour. It provided different, yet parallel story for the republic and the empire with a notable, but not overexaggerated outcome on the battle of the factions. Also, memorable characters with great voice acting like Katha Niar and a great operation, Scum & Villany. RotHC was everything you could expect from an expansion.

While KOTET and KOFTE both had great moments and great characters (looking at you, Lana), both suffered from boring, prolonged fights and the non-legacy wide alliance recruit system, the introduction of RNG (CXP) that was totally uncalled for and constantly creating FOTM classes/hitting with the nurfbat too hard, therefore ruining PVP.

- only killing enemys? What about Star Fortress? Great 14 chapter KoTFE where you play and fight with Mandos? Walking with Walker not once? Party in Palace Dragon on Zakuul and a lot of fun in it? This things were so original not mention epic story. You said it's dull? Then what? .. Whining Tau Idair on Ossus is better? Here you will got AGAIN 1 or 2 hours gameplay. There? .. 9 chapters and 9 diffrent locations inside each of them.

+ on Kotfe and Kotet story you have smth epic in every cutscene. Satele, Marr, Arcann, Vaylin, Valkorion, Senya, VIzla, SCORPIO (random companion and what? .. she taked Eternal Throne!) and whole Eternal Empire thing. When you said it's dull then you just trolling.

Here what you have? Again DULL war between Jedi vs Sith? With crying Tau Idair on front and Malgus with what i didn't share single word on Ossus? Like Vitiate said to Arkvin Hood - Jedi Knight on Ziost: "how pathetic".

- sure .. soon like 6.0 coming "soon". I still wait for Zenith and Holiday. I don't care about companion console on Odessen.

~ Tsukito , Alliance Commander

different strokes for different folks. Just because you're extremely easy to please doesn't mean all of us are.

So what about returning companions? I'm starting to get a little pissed off :confused:

• Kira Carsen(Jedi Knight)
  • Lord Scourge(Jedi Knight)
  • Darth Zash(Sith Inquisitor; if you sided with her)
  • Tharan Cedrax(Jedi Consular)
  • Zenith(Jedi Consular)

Edited by EmperorRus

So in an effort to be constructive, I do have a list of questions about the expansion that I have no doubt likely won't be answered this early (yeah I know, so much for being positive), but I still think will be high on the list of what people want to know:

• Gearing: is the entire thing being reworked, or is it just a tactical slot being added?
  • Planets: are we talking Vanilla planet size, SoR planet size, Ziost/Oricon planet size, Czerka moon planet size, or Zakuul "world of hallways" type planet?
  • Story: based on past metrics, how long do you anticipate people clearing the story?
  • Companions: can we look forward to the return of our companions once and for all here?
  • Companions: will we be able to continue our relationship with our married companions, or will this aspect be forgotten about?

please provide more info with the gearing system. Every gear system you implement made it worse than before. Legacy gears is not a problem. This time listen to the community, and develop with them, not against them

+1

bump

My wishes:

- A long story.

- No choppy stories. It should all come out at once.

- Great planets with lots to discover and quests.

- Much more time with our love interest.

- No forced companions.

- Less RNG, Everyone should have the same chance of getting equipment. Solo players, PVE and PVPers.

- The surgery should have no influence on the story. Not like Oricon.

- etc

- where i said i like that? I wrote what Swtor should give and 6.0 thing doesn't mean i want smth random dirty things like Ossus with no real action around Jedi and Sith :cool:

You didn't need to say that. It's obvious just reading what makes you happy.

My wishes:

- A long story.

- No choppy stories. It should all come out at once.

- Great planets with lots to discover and quests.

- Much more time with our love interest.

- No forced companions.

- Less RNG, Everyone should have the same chance of getting equipment. Solo players, PVE and PVPers.

- The surgery should have no influence on the story. Not like Oricon.

- etc

I pretty much second this! (I think "surgery" here is supposed to mean "operation?" Probably a Google translate issue.)

What I'd like to see is:

1) STORY REPLAYABILITY - doesn't have to be some epic saga, a shortish story is perfectly fine, I just want to be able to see multiple faction stories and alternate paths so I can enjoy it on all my many alts. Doing the same story over and over and over again with little variation is what turned me off to KOTFE +.

2) Open world planets - please, no "planets" consisting of closed instances and corridors. I want to explore and I want to see other players exploring with me. Ossus was good.

3) No "serialization." This is not a TV show. I want to feel immersed all at once with a beginning, middle and an end. I can't plan out story paths for my characters if I can't see where I'm going. I hate story limbo. Please.

4) Let me take any companion I want on my journey! Adventuring alongside favorite companions is what made me love this game.

5) Is Galactic Command still going to be a realistic option for gearing? As long as the grind isn't ridiculous I don't mind it. It's quite nice for getting all my alts up to speed.

Expansion sounds promising BW. I've been waiting for Nautolans since day 1!

This is indeed great new to hear and very much looking forward to the new content. but I do have a few question?

1) Will the story actually be a descent amount of time and not short like before.

2)Gear and new stats bonuses?

While I know you just announced this info. I'm really hoping you go into great detail about the info on gear and not but silent like this last update.

Edited by swiftrav