I feel weak in Huttball.

notsocool

I'm PVPing with my marauder, an just hit 40. I love it so far, and it's piles of fun. Here's my problem. I still suck a little. Not in PVP in general, just in Huttball.

I say this because I'm not quite figuring out how to properly do this. On my server and at the times I play Aussie PVE server, primetime Perth time), Republic is pretty organized and Huttball does not pop up all the darn time. So when it does, I'm not as well versed as you guys are.

Help me get better at it!

I keep getting kicked off ledges and when I meet a ball carrier, I don't have any options to kick him into the pit (Please tell me I get one later on :p). Now if I get the opportunity to hammer him for a few seconds I'm gold, since I can kill just about anyone 1v1, but I can't do much if he keeps running away or kicks me into the darn pit.

Damn, I hate that pit. It's my new nemesis.

Bad news, we don't get a kockback at all....

Best advise I can give from my time in PvP is to take extra care in your positioning, so when you do get that kockback you dont go into the pit or fall off the ramps..... try and keep you force jump for the times you can't position yourself then if you time it right you can just hit jump mid-air and get back to them.

If anyone else has any better ideas I'd love to read em too :)

If you're getting knocked back a lot, position yourself so that you're not quite as likely to get knocked back. It will still happen sometimes, but that's what you use Camouflage for. Use camo when you're knocked back, wait for Charge to come back up, and hop back up there. If Camo isn't up, just stay out of line of sight while you wait.

We can't effectively shut down ball-carriers short of killing them, but remember that Crippling Slash is a 50% movement speed debuff. Use it. Choke is also very nice, but make sure they don't have full Resolve when you use Choke!

We're amazing ball carriers though. Pop Predation, run through fire with Undying Rage on, and laugh as no one can follow you through it.

Thank you so much for the Predation/Undying Rage idea. I never thought of that, and can't wait to try it out.

FYI, I do have the sense to try to keep either an obstacle or something else between myself and the edge, but my opponents, as I mentioned, are not stupid either. They know to maneuver before knocking me. I have a 50 Sage, and have done the exact same thing. I'm not griping about it. I'm just looking for ideas from those very experienced Marauders who have played Huttball to death and back, hoping for some tricks like that awesome idea above. Sadly, my new server is full of new players, since I suspect a lot of the experienced PVPers are still on their old servers until they open up server transfers.

Edited by notsocool

Most people are so knockback happy that they just can't wait to push that button, so what I do most of the time is hit them a few times and just move away for a second or two. They will almost always try a knockback, but I'm out of range and now they have to wait for the cooldown. Works like a charm.

The biggest problem imho is that you can be knocked back 3 times before the resolve bar is filled.

Try to get them to use their kb early so you can leap back up before they get through the ramps. Leap while they are on a flame vent to suicide kill them. Also force choke them when they are on a flame vent to kill them as well.

Positioning can cancel out about 50% of knockbacks. A slow on them will allow you to leap back up before they can cap.

Leap while they are on a flame vent to suicide kill them.

As neat as this may seem, it's not worth it as a practice (maybe as a last-ditch effort). There's a nasty bug that will sometimes kick you to the character select screen when you do this.

As people have said, the main thing you need to work on is positioning. It can be frustrating, however, because of the auto-turn-to-face-target. Even when you are positioned "correctly", they can move and still knock you where you were trying to avoid. You just have to be aware and ready to move. It takes a while before you really find your grove, but when you do, it's a great class to play.

... even if we don't get a knockback.

We're amazing ball carriers though. Pop Predation, run through fire with Undying Rage on, and laugh as no one can follow you through it.

You don't actually need to pop undying rage if you're going to pred through a flame jet. If you have full health you can make it through with about half health anyway. That way you can save the CD if you get jumped by people at the line. if you don't have full health or you have people on your tail don't do it.

Also when you have the ball, ignore the air vents to get to upper ledges. They're so random most of the time you don't end up in a good spot anyway. Use force Charge up to a ledge or just run on the lower ledges.

Like everyone else said positioning is key. When I run up/charge to anyone I'll ignore swinging at them untill I'm in position, unless it's another mara. Also when you do get knocked back and you will, if you're still on the platform use your force camo to close the gap. If negates any range damage they can do to you untill you're back with in range unless they force speed or charge away.

Save your charge for when you get knocked into the pit, or if a Sin/Shadow is the ball carrier and they force speed form you, charge 'em and if they have the ball choke 'em so the the speed boost falls off then go to town on them.

One last thing, if you pop pred at the begining when every one is running to the ball, if you make a well timed jump into the green pool and jump out, you'll pretty much beat everyone to the ball except for the smart Sins who force speed over the green pool.

If you have to blow ur charge early and it is a sorc or merc. Charge, then immediately run back, they always panic and blow knockback. After they blow it and miss you, profit because without a knock back, sorc and merc are like wet kleenex and get torn apart.

I love doing that. I call it the Marauder Blitz.

Skiazomi is a Tank-Assassin. Whenever he blitzs we always say the other team just got Ski-Balled. Which is hilarious.