Knight or consular

Arandem

Short answer, Jedi Knights are more lightsaber oriented, with a focus on tanking and/or dps. Consulars are more force power oriented, with a focus on dps and/or healing.

Wrong.

First of all, both have 2 advanced classes.

Jedi Knight/Jedi Guardian can become tank or melee dps

Jedi Knight/Jedi Sentinel can become melee dps only

Jedi Consular/Jedi Sage can become ranged dps or healer

Jedi Consular/Jedi Shadow can become melee/short range dps or a tank (yes, the other consular ac has a tank spec too)

Jedi Consular/Jedi Sage can become ranged dps or healer

Wrong.

Consulars also have melee attacks.

Sorry, thought we were belittling others' posts over minor details. My post was "incomplete" for leaving out that specifically a Shadow could tank.

Im having trouble choosing between a jedi knight and jedi consular. Help!!!

Keeping it easy, without going into things like healing/tanking, here's some questions for you ...

Do you want to wear light, medium or heavy armour?

Consulars can only wear light. Knights can wear medium or heavy depending on the advanced class chosen.

Do you want to use a single lightsabre, double lightsabre or carry two light sabres?

One of the consular advanced classes can use the double-ended lightsabre, and one of the knight advanced classes can carry two sabres. Both of the other advanced classes use a single sabre.

/facepalm

Wrong.

Consulars also have melee attacks.

That's just a stupid comment. Having 2 melee attacks that are practically useless does not make it not ranged.

And Troopers can use Stockstrike even with Commando advanced class, which still does not mean that their role is not ranged dps or healer

Sorry, thought we were belittling others' posts over minor details.

grow up

My post was "incomplete"

It was not incomplete. It was misleading. There is a huge difference.

Saying that consulars "focus on dps and/or healing" is practically suggesting that they don't have tank spec.

Do you want to use a single lightsabre, double lightsabre or carry two light sabres?

One of the consular advanced classes can use the double-ended lightsabre, and one of the knight advanced classes can carry two sabres. Both of the other advanced classes use a single sabre.

Consular Shadow uses the double saber. Shadows can also stealth (hence the name, har har), which is fun and frustrating (when other players don't see you).

OP, the only way for anyone to really try to offer you the help you seek is if you explain what kind of playstyle you enjoy. But my personal opinion is that you should make once of each and try them out for yourself, level them to 10 and go read the information that the advanced class trainer provides. This is the way I choose which AC to take, I read every single skill in the skill tree to see what sounds most appealing; it's how I ended up with an Engineering specced Sniper (because those probes and cluster bombs are damn fun!).

/facepalm

That's just a stupid comment. Having 2 melee attacks that are practically useless does not make it not ranged.

And Troopers can use Stockstrike even with Commando advanced class, which still does not mean that their role is not ranged dps or healer

grow up

Saying that consulars "focus on dps and/or healing" is practically suggesting that they don't have tank spec.

he also said SHORT answer meaning he was not going into a whole lot of details, and i get what you mean yes it was miss leading but your just yelling at him for being wrong cause he did not go into the exact details.

op.

i dont really know i have not played the republic side yet, BUT the consular is more Force focused and uses a already existing poll for force power to attack the opponent the consular also have some melee attacks But there not that strong, (please note that i am not going to go into advanced classes)

and as for the knight they build but a stock pile of focus, (i think is what its called for the knight) and thats used for more powerful melee attacks and some but limited force attacks, for the knights more of a melee fighter then a ranged force fighter.

please correct me if i am wrong on some of the things i said, cause i have not yet played the republic side past the first few quests, but i believe there like the imperial side knight like warrior consular like inquisitor. hope this helps you :)

Play them both to 15, it'll take a week tops if you play slowly, you'll notice right away that both have a different play style. I have an 19 Guardian and a 26 Shadow, both of them are Tanks. I enjoy both, The Guardian feels more like a Warrior Tank whereas my Shadow feels more like a Paladin.

Consular gives you more of a choice than Knight does. As with the Knight you will only play a Melee, if you choose Consular at level 10 you can decide if you liked using your characters Force powers more for Combat or if you liked the Melee abilities more. You can also decide if you would rather Heal or Tank.

In my opinion roll one of each play them to 15 and then decide from there.

If you are interested in Tanking, you'll find the Shadow more accomodating as it's much easier to AoE Tank, though it lacks a few of the defensive cooldowns the Guardian and other tanks have.

Edited by Valhalyn

I will say, as a JK:Guardian, that it is a very reactive playstyle -- you will need to master the use of several interrupts that stymie your opponent. At first I wasn't used to this, thinking I'd just hack through things with my saber. Now, however, I miss my interrupts when I play on alts, lol.

/facepalm

grow up

Jedi Shadows have more than 2 lightsaber attacks. It's the consular that only has 2. Consular is more stand back and watch them die, while shadow is more get behind them and kill them.

Jedi Shadows have more than 2 lightsaber attacks. It's the consular that only has 2. Consular is more stand back and watch them die, while shadow is more get behind them and kill them.

Shadow is a Consular Advanced Class. ITYM "Sage".

Shadow is a Consular Advanced Class. ITYM "Sage".

Sorry, my mistake, I meant to say Sages only have to light saber attacks, and they aren't very good at that.

To the OP, I agree, try each to a certain level. While the play style of one class may agree with you, the class story may bore you to tears.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant to say Sages only have to light saber attacks, and they aren't very good at that.

To the OP, I agree, try each to a certain level. While the play style of one class may agree with you, the class story may bore you to tears.

We get 2 light saber attacks and an awesome roundhouse kick to boot. :D