Getting left solo guarding...

venomlash

This is the worst part of being stuck defending a node, it kills your stats....you very well were the reason your team won the match but your teammates will look at your total damage and think you're a noob. /sigh

On my jugg I was deffing a node: 0 DMG, 0 Prot, 0 Heal, 0 Kills, 0 Deaths, 12k Deff Points ^^

Edited by Never_Hesitate

This is the worst part of being stuck defending a node, it kills your stats....you very well were the reason your team won the match but your teammates will look at your total damage and think you're a noob. /sigh

There was one Voidstar match a couple of days ago with me and my stealthy Sith where I was the one sneaking up to the doors behind the distracted defenders and blowing them open, every single time (I think someone else got the bridge over, but doors and force fields? All me!). To get to the core took 3, maybe 4 minuets? I was shocked on how easy it was and how sloppy the other team was. Needless to say, we totally demolished the other team and dominated that match, but I don't think I killed a single person the whole time.

At the end, during the summery screen? Not a single person noticed or cared. Not a single MVP vote. Gee, thanks guys.

(Also, I make no claims to actually being PVP awesome. Were I to try and replicate this effort, I would utterly fail. It was just this one time I was brilliant)

Edited by El_Kabong

If you don't want to guard a door, don't put yourself in a position to guard the door. If I'm guarding a node as a healer and we need heals elsewhere I just say something in ops chat and someone relieves me. Your job as a "guarder" isn't to solo kill everyone who approaches you. Your job is to keep them off of the objective until help arrives. If you can't do that you shouldn't be on guard duty. :)

This. It's about interrupting an 8 second channel until help gets there, (unless they're pew pewing and can't be bothered). I'm a fan of "2 dedicated node guarders per node with 4 floaters" idea, or 2/6 in the case of VS, because it's not uncommon that a team will over-rotate and lose the abandoned node.

if there's a solo non-stealther guard at civil war or hypergates, I'll so cap it everytime on my operative, regardless what class it is :rolleyes: (Except if they position themselves smart, which very rarely occurs). I'm comfortable solo- guarding with my BH, since I also play a stealther and know how to counter a ninja-cap, but as I've seen most people don't care about it.

You don't even have to position yourself smart to stop a ninja capper. Like I said before, on my Sniper I almost always solo defend our objectives, so naturally I have to worry about Stealthers who look at me and go 'oh lookie here, a lone defender, I think I'll just go stun him a couple of times and cap the objective then proceed to laugh! Mwuhahahaha!'. They don't know they've just made a huge mistake.

On AH when Solo Guarding our Pylon I position myself right next to the Pylon. Alot of people think this is stupid but it isn't. I go into Cover (to avoid a Sin/Shadow pulling me away as his buddy caps) and spam Orbital Strike on the Pylon to stop Ninja Cappers. Sometimes a Stealther comes along and stuns me with their in-stealth stun, then try to cap. What I do then is use my CC breaker, go back into cover and activate 'Entrench' (for all you non-Snipers out there, it's an in-cover ability that makes you immune to all Stuns). I then interrupt the cap. Like any ninja capper they'll try to stun me with their 8-second stun and try to cap again. However since I've got Entrench active that means their stun failed to stun me, meaning that their entire Ninja Cap plan has failed and they are forced to either retreat or die at my hands.

This method has stopped many Ninja Cappers to this day.

Edited by Chlomamf

You don't even have to position yourself smart to stop a ninja capper. Like I said before, on my Sniper I almost always solo defend our objectives, so naturally I have to worry about Stealthers who look at me and go 'oh lookie here, a lone defender, I think I'll just go stun him a couple of times and cap the objective then proceed to laugh! Mwuhahahaha!'. They don't know they've just made a huge mistake.

On AH when Solo Guarding our Pylon I position myself right next to the Pylon. Alot of people think this is stupid but it isn't. I go into Cover (to avoid a Sin/Shadow pulling me away as his buddy caps) and spam Orbital Strike on the Pylon to stop Ninja Cappers. Sometimes a Stealther comes along and stuns me with their in-stealth stun, then try to cap. What I do then is use my CC breaker, go back into cover and activate 'Entrench' (for all you non-Snipers out there, it's an in-cover ability that makes you immune to all Stuns). I then interrupt the cap. Like any ninja capper they'll try to stun me with their 8-second stun and try to cap again. However since I've got Entrench active that means their stun failed to stun me, meaning that their entire Ninja Cap plan has failed and they are forced to either retreat or die at my hands.

This method has stopped many Ninja Cappers to this day.

But you apparently are not a noob solo guard like most people in pugs :rolleyes: And not all classes have the ability to get immune to ccs. Yesterday I tried to ninja in civil war against a pyro, but he was aware that we have stealthers so he jumped on top of the node, which was probably the best counter against a ninja in this case... I couldn't los him so no capping :)

ive seen similar things on red eclipse,

im a mm sniper one game was in nover coast got left defending, two stealth opperatives dropped on me, i had it pre typed "inc east" etc and died with in two seconds and group called me the noob, they literally came out of stealth and hit me once each lol and from moment i called inc no one actually made their way to east but im the noob lol

another one was civil war, i got left defending snow, team mostly in mid and republic team was healer heavy, ours was dps light but could i get someone to take me off defending NOPE lol

Think players would learn. Most times against republic teams its 99% of time either a stealth or a tank type defending, very rare i ever reach a enermy bunker/turret etc and find a sniper/gunslinger on their own defending.

The general rule is last there stays. It's a good rule because it encourages leaving the node earlier, and many games are lost due to 6 people staying to beat up the one remaining enemy while the other team is back heading to the other node. If you're a bad node guard class and spec, make sure you're the first one out.

Also iirc your class either has a tank tree or a heal tree, and you need to use your breaker more intelligently. You should have enough time when you see them open to break the stun and pop every defensive skill and aoe stun you have before they get you again. At that point if you're a healer you may live long enough to self heal after the white bar or if you're a tank you may last long enough for help to arrive.

If instead of attacking they sap you and start capping, you save your breaker to get that one interrupt. If you're lucky you might stop them altogether because they ninja wrong.

Yes most of the time you'll die and/or get ninja capped as that class if they execute properly, but if you did those things you may have a chance to delay them long enough, which is better than no chance at all.

Also, I noticed you said there were 3 attackers meaning somewhere your team had 7 guys fighting 5 guys, which is a fail to both win a 7v5 in a reasonable time and to notice stealthers missing and send another guard. So it's not entirely your fault despite being a terrible guard class and/or using abilities wrong. They'd still have to own up to not paying attention.

Edited by JP_Legatus

So, today I was playing Voidstar. Level 50 Republic side PUG, nothing too unusual except for some mind-numbingly dumb tactics.

We start out on defense, and I head to the right door along with two or three others. We fend off the initial wave of Imps, and then the entire rest of the team heads to the left door to help defend against a heavy onslaught there.

They left a Gunnery Commando to solo guard a door. Do they think I'm a Shadow tank or something?

Needless to say, I call the incs as soon as I see them and proceed to get stunlocked to death within ten seconds of first hit. Since nobody came to help me until I was already dead, we lose the door. And then the SAME EXACT THING happens on the second door. Everyone leaves but me, I call for a guard buddy before I even see any imps incoming on my side, but I get stunlocked by three imps, downed pretty quickly, and we lose the door. (Yeah, the Commando sucks pretty badly in 1v1s. We're only useful in support roles.)

I guess what I'm asking is if this seems to be a common occurrence (I've never had this happen to me before) and if anyone knows a way to prevent it when asking nicely doesn't help.

Poor you lol, I feel you pain even if I am playing an asassin. I can feel your pain because everytime I see a solo Merc/Mando or Shmonkey guarding a node I go for the cap...and succed 95% of the time. Mercs/mandos are sooooo underpowered especialy in a 1v1 situation.