View Single Post

TrinityLyre
03.14.2014 , 04:41 PM | #3
GUNSHIPS

:: GUNSHIP TIPS

• Zoom back out (mouse wheel back) when you enter sniper mode, it allows you faster tracking and a larger field of view.

• Always try to fire your railgun right at the center of your firing arc to negate the accuracy penalty. If you have to shift your aim, overcompensate and swing your reticle back to the center to take the shot at the last second. With practice, you'll quickly become skilled at this.

• Pay attention to damage warnings, many times an enemy will not lock a missile on you. Avoid tunnel vision. If you have to run, run.

• Try and stay near allies. The closer you are to them, the more likely they will peel for you.

• Avoid the center of the map. The farther you are from enemies while still being able to fire, the better.

• Prioritize enemy gunships, typically they are the most lethal to your group (and simple to kill if you can get the opening shot).

• Get in some early hits on enemies that attack you from the front. Odds are the next time they come theyíll be behind you as youíre running for cover/allies. This is an efficient use of your renewable shields that allow you to kill people more easily or weaken them for others.

• Right-click to enter sniping mode in order to stop instantly, no matter what speed you are going. This is useful for shaking off pursuit or taking quick kill shots on weakened, unsuspecting opponents.

• Make sure an enemy is in line of sight of you before firing. Being out of line of sight is indicated by grey lines in a striped pattern over the enemy target.

GSS-4Y JURGORAN // SGS-S1 CONDOR

The newest (but still powerful) gunship. This variant is very similar to the Mangler/Quarrel but features more close-range weaponry in lieu of a second railgun. It offers great short-range crowd control in the form of interdiction missile, high damage with slug railgun and burst laser cannon, high survivability and two missile breaks. It loses its ability to easily flee from fights with the loss of Barrel Roll, but can engage more effectively in close quarters with Retro Thrusters.

:: COMPONENTS

Primary Weapon: Burst Laser Cannon (T4 Ignore Armor, T5 Increased Hull Damage)
This weapon is amazing for point defense. If you are good at picking up incoming enemy targets you can hit them once with a slug and finish them with burst laser cannon. If youíre mobile you can combine this with interdiction missile to allow your burst laser cannon to very easily and quickly finish off targets. It also helps you destroy turrets while on the move!

Secondary Weapon: Slug Railgun (T4 Improved Accuracy and Tracking, T5 Increased Critical Hit Chance)
On paper, increased damage is more DPS. However increased critical chance still allows you the opportunity to one-shot scouts. Iíve found that it is more useful than an additional 10% damage, because frequently that still means charging an extra railgun shot and it doesnít really feel like you get much out of it at all.

Secondary Weapon: Interdiction Missile (T4 Increased Range, T5 Engine Targeting)
This appears to be a great short-range control weapon that can be fired alongside your burst laser cannons. It offers crowd control on nearby targets (like enemy scouts and strike fighters), giving you a good opportunity to run. If you choose to stay and fight, youíll typically have a maneuverability advantage on the opponent. Increasing the range on this bad boy brings the lock-on range to 5500m, allowing you to hit enemies from even a moderate distance. The T5 upgrades are fairly minimal either way, but I opted for Engine Targeting to reduce the enemyís ability to boost away from or after you (depending on whether or not you choose fight or flee). This can be switched out for Cluster Missiles if you prefer direct, spammable short-range damage.

Engine: Retro Thrusters (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
Ridiculously good for defense and jousting. Retains a missile break and more utility than the gunship's other options. I opt for increased turning for faster target acquisition. Since this gunship will fare a bit better in close-range combat than the Mangler/Quarrel, turning seems like an even more obvious choice here. This still feels like the gunshipís best option due to the versatility of the component, though if you have mastery of Power Dive you may wish to try that instead (I dislike it).

Shields: Distortion Field (T3 Disable Enemy Missile Lock)
Stacking evasion is still incredibly worthwhile and still the best defense you can get. Since Distortion Field has a base 6 second duration and likely wonít need to use the additional 3 seconds I opted for a second missile break. This second break is even more useful thanks to Barrel Rollís increased cooldown. I will be testing all sorts of builds with this gunship and will update if I find anything works better.

Thrusters: Regeneration Thrusters
In the current GSF meta, mobility is king. The ability to catch up to and flee from enemy pilots is huge. This component allows the gunship additional mobility. This component could be swapped for others like Turning or Speed Thrusters, but I find Regeneration Thrusters are a huge boon and extend the potential for movement. Experiment and see what you find most useful!

Reactor: Large Reactor
Larger shields are tastier shields. Since dying to burst damage is more commonplace than dying to attrition, I favor larger shields.

Capacitor: Range Capacitor
See the math done by Verain in this thread. Range Capacitor gives Burst Laser Cannon a larger range and a sizeable damage increase. If you choose to go with a different primary weapon you may want to swap this out.

Magazine: Regeneration Extender
The all-around best choice for sustained fire. More regeneration means more slug railgun shots means more damage.

:: CREW

Copilot: Malavai Quinn / Lieutenant Iresso (Wingman)
An amazingly useful copilot ability that lets you have a higher chance of winning gunship duels and surviving encounters with scouts by hitting them more frequently. Hitting Wingman will get you more ranged kills via slug railgun (and helps counter the current battle scout meta), which prevents enemy scouts from closing in and taking advantage of their close-quarter combat playstyle. Anticipate angry little scouts coming for revenge, hit Wingman and send them back to their spawn point (again). Quicker and farther kills = less struggling = victory.

Offensive: Jaesa Willsaam / Qyzen Fess (2 degrees to firing arc, 6% accuracy)
These crew members provide the best offensive power to your weaponry. Having an extra 6% accuracy for your railguns and already accurate burst laser cannon doesnít hurt, either.

Defensive: Vector / Nadia Grell (10% shield power pool, 5% evasion)
I am always a fan of a larger renewable source of defense, and evasion is too good to pass up, especially when you are stacking it with Distortion Field.

Tactical: Malavai Quinn / Lieutenant Iresso (sensor focus range & dampening)
Increased sensor focus range for finding those pesky scouts & revenge killing gunships. Pan around often to take advantage of your increased focus cone. Dampening allows you to make your vulnerable and stationary ship much more difficult to find. Primarily chosen for the active ability, Wingman.

Engineering: Blizz / C2-N2 (10% engine power pool, 13% engine efficiency)
With regeneration extender itís unlikely youíll be running out of power to your burst laser cannon, and youíll mostly be firing your two railguns anyway. The 13% blaster reduction does not seem to affect railguns, which makes it feel a bit useless. Gunships also tend to run a lot. I chose the companion that would give the largest bonus to mobility, allowing you to respond more quickly and evade enemies longer.

GSS-5C DUSTMAKER // K-52 DEMOLISHER // SGS-41B COMET BREAKER // K-52 STRONGARM

Coined the ďshi**y gunship.Ē Trades off many of the strengths of the Mangler/Quarrel for weaker alternatives. I only played this variant in order to master it, and so went with a railgun build. I have a torpedo platform variant at the end of the gunship section. I understand the idea behind the design but feel itís vastly inferior to other offerings. However, any ship is devastating in the right hands. This thing can still score the bulk of kills in a Team Deathmatch.

Primary Weapon: Heavy Laser Cannon (T4 Ignore Armor, T5 Shield Piercing)
I use heavy lasers over the other alternatives for the armor piercing and range. They are great for clearing turrets, drones, mines, killing other bombers and attacking enemies coming in to attack you. As mentioned, bypassing enemy damage reduction is immensely useful. I go with the shield piercing upgrade to finish off any additional hull weaker enemies have after being hit by my railgun or other allies.

Secondary Weapon: Slug Railgun (T4 Improved Accuracy and Tracking, T5 Increased Critical Hit Chance)
On paper, increased damage is more DPS. However increased critical chance still allows you the opportunity to one-shot scouts. Iíve found that it is more useful than an additional 10% damage, because frequently that still means charging an extra railgun shot.

Secondary Weapon: Plasma Railgun (T4 Melt Thrusters, T5 Intense Plasma)
All the secondary weapon choices feel pretty inferior but I opted to make this a railgun platform. Use Plasma Railgun for the damage over time and evasion debuff. Switch to Slug Railgun to finish them off.

Engine: Barrel Roll (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
Ridiculously good for mobility, offense, defense and a missile break with sugar on top. I opt for increased turning for faster target acquisition.

Shields: Directional Shield (T3 Reduced Regen Delay)
The only shield option that allows mobility and gives you hefty shields. Useful for handling enemies that try to come head-on or even while retreating. Reducing regen delay seems better than increasing shield regeneration rate, and so I go with that option.

Sensor: Dampening Sensors
Easier to avoid detection when on the outskirts of a map, which is typically where you should be. Since you see everyone in a 15k radius you should be able to react to any threats.

Larger shields are tastier shields. Since dying to burst damage is more commonplace than dying to attrition, I favor larger shields.

Capacitor: Damage Capacitor
With a regeneration extender you should have little weapon power pool problems, but slug railgun tends to suck up quite a bit of power. Youíll find yourself typically using lasers in defense following a railgun shot, which is why I opted out of Frequency Capacitor for this one.

The all-around best choice for sustained fire. More regeneration means more slug railgun shots means more damage.

An amazingly useful copilot ability that lets you have a higher chance of winning gunship duels and surviving encounters with scouts by hitting them more frequently. Hitting Wingman will get you more ranged kills via slug railgun (and helps counter the current battle scout meta), which prevents enemy scouts from closing in and taking advantage of their close-quarter combat playstyle. Anticipate angry little scouts coming for revenge, hit Wingman and send them back to their spawn point (again). Quicker and farther kills = less struggling = victory.

These crew members provide the best offensive power to your weaponry. Having an extra 6% accuracy for your railguns and heavy laser cannons doesnít hurt, either.

I am always a fan of a larger renewable source of defense, and evasion is too good to pass up, especially when you are stacking it with Distortion Field.

Increased sensor focus range for finding those pesky scouts & revenge killing gunships. Pan around often to take advantage of your increased focus cone. Dampening allows you to make your vulnerable and stationary ship much more difficult to find. Primarily chosen for the active ability, Wingman.

With regeneration extender itís unlikely youíll be running out of power to your heavy lasers, and youíll mostly be firing your railgun anyway. The 13% blaster reduction does not seem to affect railguns, which makes it feel a bit useless. Gunships also tend to run a lot. I chose the companion that would give the largest bonus to mobility, allowing you to respond more quickly and evade enemies longer.

GSS-3 MANGLER // VX-9 MAILOC // SGS-45 QUARREL // VX-9 REDEEMER

The obscenely powerful gunship. This variant has pretty much everything anyone could ask for in a gunship. It offers ridiculously amazing crowd control in the form of ion railgun, high damage with slug railgun and burst laser cannon, high survivability and two missile breaks.

Primary Weapon: Burst Laser Cannon (T4 Ignore Armor, T5 Increased Hull Damage)
This weapon is amazing for point defense. If you are good at picking up incoming enemy targets you can hit them once with a slug and finish them with burst laser cannon. If youíre mobile due to running from an enemy or attacking a node, burst laser cannon will quickly finish off turrets or unsuspecting targets.

On paper, increased damage is more DPS. However increased critical chance still allows you the opportunity to one-shot scouts. Iíve found that it is more useful than an additional 10% damage, because frequently that still means charging an extra railgun shot and it doesnít really feel like you get much out of it at all. This is great in conjunction with Ion Railgun.

Secondary Weapon: Ion Railgun (T4 Hits Do Area Damage, T5 Engine Disruption)
This weapon is too good to not use. It offers crowd control on up to 4 targets, can clear mines and drones with ease and render a large portion of the enemy team useless. Ion Railgun can chain from satellite turrets, mines and drones to hit targets with high evasion and allow teammates to blow enemies out of space with little in the way of defensive options. Itís a great opener on almost any target. If you peg an enemy with this twice theyíre almost completely helpless. The Engine Disruption snare has been improved for 2.8, giving gunships a great way to control enemy players.

Engine: Barrel Roll (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
Ridiculously good for mobility, offense, defense and a missile break with sugar on top. I opt for increased turning for faster target acquisition. This is still the gunshipís best option.

Shields: Distortion Field (T3 Disable Enemy Missile Lock)
Stacking evasion is still incredibly worthwhile and still the best defense you can get. Since Distortion Field has a base 6 second duration and likely wonít need to use the additional 3 seconds I opted for a second missile break.

Sensor: Dampening Sensors
Easier to avoid detection when on the outskirts of a map, which is typically where you should be. Since you see everyone in a 15k radius you should be able to react to any threats.

Armor: Lightweight Armor
Being near obstacles you will typically be able to avoid the deadlier missile locks. Lightweight Armor does a better job of negating blaster, railgun and rocket pod fire than the other alternatives. Too many players utilize armor penetrating weapons, so I opt out of Deflection Armor in all my builds save the Razorwire/Rampart. This stacks with the crew passive and Distortion Field.

These crew members provide the best offensive power to your weaponry. Having an extra 6% accuracy for your railguns and already accurate burst laser cannon doesnít hurt, either.

With regeneration extender itís unlikely youíll be running out of power to your burst laser cannon, and youíll mostly be firing your two railguns anyway. The 13% blaster reduction does not seem to affect railguns, which makes it feel a bit useless. Gunships also tend to run a lot. I chose the companion that would give the largest bonus to mobility, allowing you to respond more quickly, change positions often, and evade enemies longer.

:: ADDITIONAL GUNSHIP BUILDS

I'm hoping this section takes off, presenting a large variety of builds, reasoning and logic for readers to go through and try out! Thanks to the community for your support!

• Stasie's lolwt* Gunship Build! (For the "Wah I'm tired, this is too easy, I'm bored, buff me, nerf everyone else" aces!)
  • Drakolich's Gunship Builds (See this for all the builds he currently uses!)