Class Representatives Are Here!

EricMusco

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is real value, especially on most of the internet, in curation. Thread length is a sign of the heat, the controversy and the personality of some of the participants. It is frequently unrelated to how important it is.

This will not be The Answer. But it is a positive attitude and could easily help some.

They're paid to deal with people like you.

The Class Representitives are a great idea, and will help improve the feedback that classes need. What the Community Managers are paid to do is not your concern at all.

+1

I lol-ed. Although before the end it was a sad and wistful laugh.

Popularity contest. I've played with, and in PvP against, some of the most nominated names and I don't feel like they should speak for anyone because in-game'wise they're not on a level to do so. Their votes are merely based on some theorycrafting threads they posted. That's math and not actually playing the game.

And really, what the point of voting for a more or less strict PvE'er when 9 out of 10 problems revolve around PvP?

How about you, BW, actually scout the forums instead and adress the things that pop up 50 times per day instead of outsourcing it to a person who most likely only will represent a niche.

More or less this. All I'm seeing is a popularity contest with people nominating number crunchers or video makers. Then when this person gets elected they'll appear to be more important than the rest of us, favoritism. Favoritism should be nothing new here, afterall specially selected guilds were copied to the test server (favoritism), some select people were undoubtedly granted access to the closed test server (favoritism).

If the only thing these AC Reps are doing is going forum searching and seeing what people are saying/asking and then making a post with 3 questions to the Dev team, this is kind of pointless. I don't see this ending up as a good idea.

More or less this. All I'm seeing is a popularity contest with people nominating number crunchers or video makers.

So, Nerds voting for Nerds ?

[Cynism]What about the other players, the non-Nerds ? Do they even still exist nowadays ?[/Cynism]

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I find it amusing so many people are fretting over this.

In the end, it really doesn't matter WHO gets selected to represent their class, as it will be that persons responsibility to "correctly" gather the information generated by ALL others in regards to that class. Eric even listed some parameters to help safeguard against one playstyle over another (or favoritism). Whether it's a troll, someone asking their guildies/friends to spam /nominate_XYZ, a new player who just started or whatever...does NOT matter. What will matter, is ALL the voices recommending what needs to be addressed to the Dev team. In a sense, those NOT nomiated will have more of a voice than the one gathering the data/feedback.

C'mon people, this is not hard, nor some elaborate scheme for players to abuse anything. If someone tries to propose their own agenda, I'm sure Eric and company will ensure quality adjustments and make it right.

Relax.

Edited by Pistols

• Dev Post

I wanted to pop in and give an update. This afternoon I went through each individual AC's nominations thread and gathered the nominees. We tended to try to aim for people who had multiple votes.

Each of those nominees should have a PM waiting from me in their inbox (so if you think you are on, check our PMs!). Between now and next week, once the nominees have gotten back to me on whether they are interested or not we will prepare and post polls for each AC with their nominees.

On a personal note it has been awesome to see the individual classes come together in support of each other! I look forward to seeing the Community Reps play out their parts.

-eric

I wanted to pop in and give an update. This afternoon I went through each individual AC's nominations thread and gathered the nominees. We tended to try to aim for people who had multiple votes.

Each of those nominees should have a PM waiting from me in their inbox (so if you think you are on, check our PMs!). Between now and next week, once the nominees have gotten back to me on whether they are interested or not we will prepare and post polls for each AC with their nominees.

On a personal note it has been awesome to see the individual classes come together in support of each other! I look forward to seeing the Community Reps play out their parts.

-eric

Thanks for the heads-up Eric.

:rak_03:

Mmm...

This has been done in other games with very mixed results, often it falls to the personalities of the class subject matter expert or champion, if one person is a very dominant "alpha" you will see the great bulk of improvements occur to the class being championed by the dominant personality, and really wind up with notable class unbalances.

While I do like the idea of class representatives, in general, I do urge caution and a good plan on how this representatives are used. Also from my experience with other games, I feel really sorry for them: For ti will be a very ungrateful job filled with folks taking pot shots at them in horrid numbers.

Since this game does support a limited fashion of PvP, class balance is very important in a one-on-one basis and in groups, a very tough set of requirements. I do, in all sincerity, wish you all the luck in the world...

Sue

While I do like the idea of class representatives, in general, I do urge caution and a good plan on how this representatives are used. Also from my experience with other games, I feel really sorry for them: For ti will be a very ungrateful job filled with folks taking pot shots at them in horrid numbers.

I agree.

I have seen this go well in MMOs and I have seen it go badly.

It comes down to the temperament and expectations of the player base more then anything else IMO. So there are limitations as to what Bioware and any of the Class Reps can actually do about it.

I think it will go well initially, but will deteriorate rather quickly because the wants/needs of the player base for this game are very fractured and the player base is pretty impatient.

But.... if you don't try it.. you will never no. So it's still the right thing to try IMO.

• Dev Post
any updates on this?

Was just going to do this very thing! I sent out one last round of reminder PMs to possible candidates. If you think you were nominated, please check your PMs! I will be posting the polls for each class tomorrow with candidates who have responded with interest.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Was just going to do this very thing! I sent out one last round of reminder PMs to possible candidates. If you think you were nominated, please check your PMs! I will be posting the polls for each class tomorrow with candidates who have responded with interest.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Hey Eric,

I replied to that PM that I was interested, but then I posted on the GS forums a few days later that I will be bowing out.

If there is another candidate to take my spot, that would be fine, but I am no longer interested for the class (biding my time for when/if the PvP spot opens).

Thanks!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Scotland isn't able to reply at this time; I am a messenger for him because he asked me to post this in-game.

Scotland accepts.

• Dev Post

As a reminder I should have the schedule for submitting top 3 by today or tomorrow. This way each class will have a good idea of who will be representing them, when, and they can get started! For maximum visibility it is probably smart that I actually link directly to the polls... Here they are by AC:

Operative

Sniper

Mercenary

Powertech

Marauder

Juggernaut

Sorcerer

Assassin

Scoundrel

Gunslinger

Commando

Vanguard

Sentinel

Guardian

Sage

Shadow

Thanks everyone, make sure to vote, and good luck to all the nominations!

-eric

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I wanted to lay out the rest of the information about the Class Representatives initiative. Mainly specifying the “calendar” for one each AC will be submitting their top 3 and also which side of the mirror will represent them each time! Here is the current schedule, note that the date listed is when the specific Class Rep will need to post the top 3.

Friday 8/2 – Sniper

Friday 8/2 – Sentinel

Friday 8/16 – Sorcerer

Friday 8/16 – Vanguard

Friday 8/30 – Scoundrel

Friday 8/30 – Juggernaut

Friday 9/13 – Shadow

Friday 9/13 – Mercenary

Friday 9/27 – Gunslinger

Friday 9/27 – Marauder

Friday 10/11 – Sage

Friday 10/11 – Powertech

Friday 10/25 – Operative

Friday 10/25 – Guardian

Friday 11/8 – Assassin

Friday 11/8 – Commando

As always if you have any questions feel free to post them in this thread. I will be in touch with individual Reps as they are selected next week. Remember, polling will close on Monday, July 29th.

-eric

Hey folks,

note that the date listed is when the specific Class Rep will need to post the top 3.

Friday 11/8 – Assassin

Friday 11/8 – Commando

-eric

November?! Seriously Eric? You can't peel more than one person away to speed this up!?

November?! Seriously Eric? You can't peel more than one person away to speed this up!?

Seriously, Assassins and Commandos are among the 2 classes that really need some questions answered and we have to wait until November. Really??