Rise of the Black Sun

YoshiRaphElan

Part 2

Chapter 22

The gathering was huge, and Supreme Commander Jace Malcom's office seemed entirely too small for it. Across the back wall stood Malcom himself, with Generals Var Suthra and Garza on one side, and SIS Director Trant, Grand Master Satele Shan and Supreme Chancellor Saresh to the other. At the other side of the office were Jasin, Gareb, Backblast, Dankin, and the remainder of Havoc Squad. Ten or twelve other officers had squeezed in, as well, and the Jedi Council was attending via holocall.

"Would anyone like to explain to me what the blazes just happened?" demanded Saresh.

"Coruscant just got its butt whooped by Black Sun," Dankin muttered.

Gareb gave him a violent elbow to the ribs. Dankin winced and held up his hands in surrender. Aric Jorgan stepped forward uncomfortably.

"Ma'am," he said, "over the past several days I have been held prisoner by Black Sun, along with Zenith, Languss Tuno, and two Imperials. When we escaped, we discovered that we were being held in one of Coruscant's underground reservoirs. It is my belief that this has been in the planning for some time."

"Agreed," Jasin piped up. "And Black Sun isn't smart enough to pull this off themselves."

"Is this the hand of the Empire?" Var Suthra asked.

Gareb shook his head. "No. You heard Captain Jorgan; there were two Imperials held hostage along with him."

"That could have been to throw us off," Suthra said.

"I don't think so," Director Trant said. "I just got a burst transmission from Agent Legate. Black Sun attacked Dromund Kaas, too."

"Which begs the question," General Garza interrupted, "where did Black Sun get so many troops and vessels?"

Supreme Commander Malcom rubbed his chin. "That is the question, isn't it?" he said.

Jasin considered. When he'd fought Black Sun early after his knighting, they'd been an elite fighting force, to be sure, but nothing like this. They'd been a criminal empire, not an army. To the best of his knowledge, they hadn't had any capital ships, certainly not anything with a tractor beam.

"Captain Jorgan was captured at Bilbringi," he said. "Maybe Black Sun swiped some ships while they were there."

"That could be," Jorgan agreed. "With everyone scrambling around because of the unexpected attack, they could have made off with a few ships."

"But not as many as we've seen here, and certainly not enough to attack Dromund Kaas, too," argued General Aves.

Dankin piped up, "But we also saw them on Fondor, and there are shipyards there, too."

"What about Kuat?" Gareb asked. "Or Mon Calamari?"

Chancellor Saresh frowned. "This is a disturbing thought. That Black Sun could raid the biggest shipyards in the galaxy, and get away with a fleet...this needs consideration."

"I'll have assignments for every military officer in this room within the hour," Malcom said. "Dismissed."

"Havoc Squad," Garza added, "stay a moment."

Jorgan nodded stiffly, and Elara dabbed at her eyes. Jasin felt a pang of sympathy for the woman, but he had been dismissed, so he stepped out, watching the holograms of the Jedi Council wink out as he did. Gareb caught up with him.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Gareb asked.

"We need to contact Methic?"

Gareb nodded. "Right. We need to get the details on the Dromund Kaas attack."

"I'll get right on it."

"Wait a moment," said a voice. "Both of you."

Gareb and Jasin turned and saw Master Satele standing there, arms crossed. Jasin smiled and bowed to her, and Gareb followed suit. Satele gave a formal bow in return.

"Masters," she said, "I have an assignment for you."

Jasin frowned. "What?"

"I want you to investigate Jasin's vision."

"The one about Revan?" Gareb asked.

Jasin had elaborated briefly on his dream to Gareb and Master Satele after the battle, shortly before the debriefing. Satele had been very interested.

"Yes," she said. "Revan and many of our Jedi were presumed dead on the Foundry. But if he is alive, he could be a great ally in fighting the Empire."

Jasin nodded. "We'll get right on it. Do you know of any planets that fit my description?"

"I've compiled a list," Satele said. "It's already being sent to both your ships' computers. Get right on it."

Jasin bowed at the waist. "Yes, Master."

"May the Force be with you both," she said.

They turned and walked out of the room. Gareb leaned in close to Jasin.

"All right," Gareb said. "You get started looking at that list, I'll talk to Methic."

Jasin nodded. "All right."

They split off, quickly heading for their respective vessels.

Aric Jorgan stood before Garza, a lump still in his throat. He couldn't believe Prudii was gone. He shouldn't be...it should be Jorgan dead, it should be Zenith or Guss or Quinn, but not Prudii. He was the one, the one who was supposed to win the war with the Empire, recapture General Rakton, put a stop to all the evils the Empire was putting out.

But he was gone.

"First of all," Garza said, "my condolences to you, Lieutenant Dorne. Your husband was a good man."

"Thank you, ma'am," Elara replied.

"Secondly, as much as I hate to do it, Havoc Squad is still needed. So, Captain Jorgan, I am giving you a temporary promotion to Major, and we will find a new private to put in your squad. You must be at full strength."

Jorgan nodded. "I...thank you, ma'am. I'll do my best to fulfill my responsibilities."

"I know you will. Return to your vessel, and we'll send a new soldier that way as soon as we can find one."

"Yes, ma'am."

Jorgan saluted, turned, and left the office. Dorne followed, with Yuun, Vik, Forex, and HK-51 trailing behind. Jorgan slowed his pace so Elara could catch up to him.

"I'm so sorry, Elara," Jorgan said.

She nodded. "Thank you, sir. I...I wish he weren't dead."

"So do I. I'm going to write a post-action report and send news of his death to his brother. Would you like to help me?"

Elara nodded. "Yes, sir."

"Let's get going, then. Black Sun and the Empire won't defeat themselves."

Chapter 23

Dha put his head in his hands, disbelieving, and replayed the message.

"Hello, my name is Aric Jorgan, acting CO of Republic Special Forces unit Havoc Squad," the hologram said. "This message is directed specifically for the Grand Champion of the Great Hunt, Dha. I am sorry to tell you, sir, but your brother, Prudii, has fallen in battle. I am given to understand that Mandalorians seek glory in battle. Well, rest assured, he fell protecting his friends and family. As far as I'm concerned, he couldn't have died more honorably or gloriously...if death can ever be glorious. I hope you accept my sincere condolences. Jorgan out."

Dha shut off the hologram and looked around the living room of the vheh'yaim, or traditional Mandalorian home, and sighed. Tears flecked at the corners of his eyes. Torian and Jogo were in the far corner of the room, playing a game of cu'bikad, which involved throwing knives into a checkered board on the wall. Blizz was sitting in another corner, building something out of scrap. Mako, holding Crysta, walked over and embraced Dha.

"I'm so sorry, cyar'ika," she said. "There was nothing you could have done."

Dha nodded, rubbed her on the back. "Thank you."

Torian and Jogo disengaged from their game and stepped over. Dha glanced at them. Torian had a hardness in his eyes that Dha hadn't seen often, but he knew it well–when Torian had that look, someone died.

"Black Sun'll pay for this, ner vod," Torian said.

Dha nodded. "You better believe they will."

He kissed Mako on the forehead, turned, and left the home. Dha walked swiftly across the yard and reached the shooting range he'd constructed here on the farm. Whipping out his pistol, he fired quickly, putting several holes in the body of the shooting dummy. Tears welled in his eyes again, and he dashed them away.

"There was nothing you could've done, you know."

Dha lowered his blaster and holstered it, and then turned to see Gault standing behind him, leaning on a crutch. His right horn was now a prosthetic, but Dha had chosen to have the medics leave his left horn off, because it was the way Gault had always kept it.

"What are you doing after bed?" Dha asked.

"Mako told me about your brother." Gault put a hand on Dha's shoulder. "My condolences."

"Thanks, but you really should be resting. Makeb took a lot out of you."

"I've been bed-ridden too long." Gault sighed. "Need to get up and about."

Dha nodded. "I've been looking for Hylo for you," he said. "Had a lead when this Black Sun osik started."

"Don't worry about Hylo," Gault said. "We...we can find her when there's time. I love her, but I think she'd be mighty happy if we got rid of Black Sun, so they'd be off her tail."

Dha nodded. "All right, then."

He turned and walked back inside the house with Gault. Torian, Mako, and Jogo were sitting on one couch, Mako cradling Crysta. Blizz slowly stood and walked over to sit on the other couch. Skadge stood in the far corner, in his usual arms-crossed pose.

"It's time to get rid of Black Sun," Dha said.

"I'm in," Torian said.

"You know I am," Mako added.

[Me too,] Blizz jabbered.

"Fine," Skadge growled.

"Give you a deal," said Jogo. "Let me go with you, and I'll lead you to Hylo, and I don't even have to see those other two Black List bounties."

Dha nodded. "All right. Torian, get in contact with Corridan Ordo. We'll need his clan. I'll get Chernan. Mako, call up Vorten Fett.

"The Mandalorians are going after Black Sun."

Chapter 24

There was a tale told amongst the Chiss people, of a man who went out to collect gemstones from an asteroid field in a system near his homeworld. He went alone, with a mining ship and a charric rifle, and spent months of his life working in the asteroid fields. He did not return home for many months, and the family assumed he was dead. So they moved on with their lives, spent the appropriate time mourning, and though they always remembered him, they did not look for him. A year after his funeral, the man finally returned, wealthier than anyone could have ever imagined, but his family had moved offworld in the time and because of it, they never had a chance to share in his wealth.

Merok wondered if it would be like that with the Republic–would he be with Black Sun so long that, when he finally got back, the Republic had progressed so far that anything he could possibly offer would not only be rejected, but that the Republic would never even realize what he had brought them.

Sitting in his room, Merok sifted through the clothes he'd brought. Most of them were gray or black uniforms that fit in with the general underworld appearance of those in Black Sun who did not wear enforcer armor. In addition he had the "uniform" of an SIS agent–a white shirt with whatever vest he could scrounge up, and brown or blue trousers, and a dress uniform–similar to Imperial cut, but blue and tan rather than gray and black. Sighing, he pulled out a black trenchcoat with blast armor hidden underneath the shirt, and slipped it on.

His second suitcase held his vast armament of weaponry. He flipped it open. Sitting strapped to the bottom of the case were two rifles–the traditional assault rifle he'd used since well before he even went to Hutta and started his long adventure with Imperial Intelligence. He also had a Chiss charric, a weapon he'd carried with him since he left the Ascendancy to work first with the Empire and then, at the Ascendancy's bidding, the Republic. Then there was a flap in the middle of the suitcase. To one side of the flap was strapped a series of different vibroknives and blades, varying in length from a handspan to almost half a meter. The other side of the flap had five different pistols, from sleeve-sized holdout blasters to the sidearm he carried at his hip at all times. On the top of the flap were two weapons he'd bought on the black market as birthday presents for Kaliyo–which, after using them for a week, she had subsequently re-gifted to him. They were a Gamorrean vibroaxe, a fairly common weapon and not one which Merok would probably ever use. The other one, and rarest of all, was a unique weapon that Merok had spent years and half a million credits to buy–an Adumarian blastsword. It looked somewhat like a traditional vibroblade, being the length of Merok's arm from shoulder to fingertip, and it had a guard over the hilt to protect the user's hand. The blade was sharp but did not vibrate like a vibroblade, and the tip was not pointed–it had a round indention that fired off a low-power blaster bolt that only fired when it was stabbed into an object.

Merok pulled out his rifle and strapped it across his back, and also took a sleeve gun, a vibroknife which he slid into his boot, his pistol, and the blastsword, which he put in a traditional sheath and tied to his belt. Then he stepped out into the hallway and moved toward the office of the vigo in charge of the ship. He'd summoned Merok, saying that he was ready to take Merok to the "next level" of employment in Black Sun.

He turned the corner–and jumped to the ground as a blaster bolt shot overhead. Two Zabraks and a Weequay stood in the hallway, each holding a blaster pistol and wearing anonymous black clothing. They stepped forward, grinning, and aimed their weapons at him.

Merok whipped up his pistol and fired, killing one of the Zabraks instantly. Unfortunately they had reinforcements, and a Rodian grabbed Merok by the shoulders while the Weequay knocked the pistol out of his hand. Merok jerked his arms down. The surprised Rodian tumbled away, and Merok turned, knifing his fingers into the alien's throat. He pulled out his rifle and fired, killing the injured Rodian and the Weequay. The other Zabrak leapt forward, slashing a vibroblade at Merok. Merok ducked, and as he did he pulled out the vibroknife from his boot, turned it backhand, and held it in his left hand, dropping his rifle at the same time to yank out the blastsword with his right hand.

"What are you going to do with that antiquated thing?" laughed the Zabrak.

Merok grinned, and the Zabrak leapt. Merok raised his knife, blocked the blow, and swung his blastsword at the Zabrak's side. The alien dodged the blow, but the blade slashed across his left bicep. The Zabrak groaned and stabbed. Merok slashed, and the tip of the blastsword "fired," burning an instant hole in the Zabrak's abdomen. With a groan, the Zabrak dropped in a crumpled heap. Merok sheathed his weapons, and then retrieved his rifle and pistol, holstering them. He stormed into the vigo's office.

"Vigo Ad'ran," he grated, "what is the meaning of this?"

Ad'ran, a Zabrak, smiled amicably. "What is the meaning of what?"

"The assassins you had come for me."

"I–"

"Don't pretend you don't know."

Ad'ran lost his smile. "Very well, then. I was testing your combat skills."

"And what if I'd died?"

"Then you would have been useless to me, and it would have cost me nothing. As it is, I gain an amazing fighter, and lose four slightly above-average assassins."

Merok nodded. "Fine, then I passed your little test?"

Ad'ran nodded. "Yes. Now, are you ready for your first target?"

Merok smiled. "I thought you'd never ask..."

Chapter 25

Methic hadn't visited Nar Shaddaa in many years, and being here brought back mixed memories. Here he'd seen his brother, Jasin, for the first time since they'd been separated, and had learned his brother was a Jedi. But here also he had taken his first major act of rebellion against Darth Baras, by sparing a Sith Lord that Baras wished dead.

Now, Methic was here to find Black Sun.

Blue lightsaber ignited, he stepped into the cul-de-sac and glared at the dirty, bedraggled criminals sitting on the sidewalks. Though they could not see his expression through his mask, they obviously saw his displeasure and shot off, hiding from him. He reached the house at the end of the corridor and nodded behind him. Quinn and Pierce stepped up, stacking the door.

Pierce kicked down the door and Methic charged in, lightsaber raised at guard. No blaster bolts shot forth, so he stepped fully into the house. He reached out with the Force and sensed no one in the house.

"Clear," he said.

Pierce and Quinn entered, weapons raised at shoulder height. Pierce moved off through the room to the left, while Quinn went to the right. Methic sheathed his lightsaber, clipped it to his belt, and stepped over to a computer terminal in the back corner. He powered it up.

ENTER ACCESS CODE.

Methic frowned and typed in BLACK SUN. The screen flashed, lit up green, and activated. Methic smiled. Quickly he copied all information on the terminal to his datapad. Then he powered off the terminal and backed up.

"Sir!" called Quinn. "In here."

Methic walked back into the room and felt his gut go cold. Several corpses–all Evocii–sat in crumpled heaps in the corners of the room. More disturbingly, they all had coral-like growths coming from their heads and shoulders. Methic stepped over to one and lifted his eyelids. He shuddered.

"Black eyes," he said. "They've been infected by the Seeds."

"I thought we destroyed them all," whispered Quinn.

Pierce entered behind them and coughed in surprise. Then he moved in beside Methic and knelt, searching the corpses. He came up with a few blasters and knives, but no forms of personal identification.

"I know Darth Nox got one seed," Methic said. "But from what I know he hasn't been to Nar Shaddaa recently."

"So," Quinn said grimly, "somehow Black Sun got a hold of one."

"But how would they know how to use it?" Pierce asked.

"That's what worries me," Methic said softly. "Okay, come on. Back to the ship."

Methic had returned to the ship when the holoterminal beeped. Methic frowned curiously, pulled his helmet off, and threw it onto the couch. Then he activated the terminal. To his surprise, Gareb's image appeared. Since Gareb had discovered Methic was a Sith, he'd been very cold toward him.

"Gareb..." he said. "This is a surprise!"

Gareb nodded. "I...Methic. Look, I haven't been very Jedi-like since Ilum. I'm sorry."

Methic waved his hands. "No need to apologize. It was a surprise for me to see you as a Jedi, too."

Gareb nodded. "We need to find out about the Black Sun attack on Dromund Kaas. Can you give us information?"

Methic hesitated. "Why?"

"Please. Your man Quinn told you about the attack on Coruscant; don't pretend like you don't know."

"I suppose that would do a disservice to both of us."

"Good. Then please, give us what you have."

Methic nodded. "All right, I'll transfer the information to your holoterminal. Just promise me one thing: you'll transfer me information on the attack on Coruscant, and anything you find out."

"Will do, Methic. Gareb out."

"Methic out."

Chapter 26

After just a week of fighting as the commander of Havoc Squad, Jorgan was ready to give up and throw himself in a pit. Elara and Yuun made it easy enough on him, but Vik was an unending pain, and it was all Jorgan could do to curb HK-51's bloodlust. Prudii had been able to handle them so easily; Vik and Prudii had always had an agreement that as long as Vik did what he was told, Prudii would overlook his more questionable off-duty actions, to a certain degree. Prudii had been able to deal with HK-51 because...well, Prudii had been the droid's master. Jorgan wasn't.

Standing outside the safehouse on Quesh, Jorgan lamented coming to this planet again. But Black Sun had been spotted, so Garza had sent them out. Jorgan stood to the left side of the door, Yuun to the right. Elara, HK-51, and Forex stood back a few meters, weapons trained on the door. Vik quickly planted a breach charge on the door.

"Clear!" Vik said.

Jorgan tossed a grenade through the door and heard a muffled pop as the grenade detonated. There were also a few screams. He turned and charged in, rifle raised. Two guards lay dead on the ground, and there was a T-junction ahead.

"Elara, Yuun, Forex, take the left. HK-51, Vik, you're with me." Better to keep the troublemakers where he could see them. "Find the command center and download the contents of the main computer. Maybe we can find their primary base."

"Yes, sir," Elara replied.

They split off. Jorgan steadied his rifle, aiming it down the left-most corridor. Two guards came around the corner and Jorgan opened fire. He killed the first one, and then Jorgan ducked. HK-51's sniper rifle cracked, and the other guard dropped.

"Let's move," Jorgan said.

Jasin had been searching for over a week now, and had come up with hundreds–hundreds!–of worlds that fit the description of the one he'd seen in his vision. He groaned, stormed out of the conference room, and into the training room.

"T7!" he said. "Activate Training Module Aurek-Seven."

T7 beeped in confirmation and activated a hologram of five Imperial troopers appeared. Jasin spun, slashing his lightsaber blades. In seconds, all five lay on the ground in heaps. Jasin sighed, some of his stress burnt off.

"Okay," he said. "Now, I need to think logically."

Jedi = looking in wrong places. // Jedi = change search parameters.

"What do you mean?"

Revan = wouldn't choose planet at random. // Revan would choose planets = significance to his past.

Jasin slapped his forehead with an open palm. "Of course!"

He rushed back to the conference room and entered a new search parameter using all the planets he'd already found; he deleted all planets that didn't mention Revan in their historical databases. That left only ten possible planets.

"This is good," Jasin said. "I think we're on the right trail."

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 27

Cohl Avenstar was a new recruit in the Black Sun organization. He was a wide-eyed farmboy from Tatooine who'd joined up with them for a free pass off the planet. He'd gotten what he wanted; they'd shipped him briefly to Nar Shaddaa to meet with the sector Vigo. Then, they'd assigned him as a guard for a warehouse. On Tatooine.

Cohl sighed. Was his life's destiny to stay on this blasted planet forever? As he took his daily patrol around the warehouse, he decided it probably was. With his rifle tilted at an angle where he wouldn't shoot himself in the foot (it had happened before), he finished his patrol and was about to go back into the air-conditioned warehouse when he saw shadows on the ground.

He frowned. There are no clouds on Tatooine...

He looked up...and yelped in surprise as what appeared to be dozens of birds of prey swept down. He raised his rifle, fired off one badly-aimed shot, and then ran inside the warehouse just as explosions started raining down around him.

Dha swept by the warehouse on his jetpack, firing a series of rockets into the wall, and then shooting back out in a loop. Torian came behind him, and then Corridan Ordo, Jogo, Chernan, Dinua, and the rest. There were one hundred of them in total–one hundred Mandalorians rallied against Black Sun.

When they'd all made their assault on the warehouse, Dha landed, pulled out his blaster, and moved inside. Torian and Jogo flanked him, their weapons ready. There was a snot-nosed young recruit cowering in the corner, cradling his blaster. Dha shook his head.

"Torian, give him fifty credits and tell him to get the blazes out of here."

"Right."

Dha stepped down into the center of the warehouse...and a blaster bolt shaved by his head.

"Down!" he snapped.

He rolled aside and returned fire. A squad of battle droids emerged from crates, unfolding and opening fire. Dha pumped a blaster bolt into one's motor, and then whirled and fired a rocket, destroying another. Jogo was a spinning blur, cutting droids to pieces with his vibrosword. Behind them, Chernan and Dinua cut down droids with their blasters. In seconds, there was quiet.

"Clear," Dha said.

"Clear," confirmed Chernan.

"Upstairs," Corridan said. "They'll keep their records in the upstairs office."

Dha nodded. "Move."

He walked toward the ramp that led to the second level of the warehouse. The Mandalorians had once had a training base here on Tatooine, out near Anchorhead, but some Republic soldiers and Jedi had gone in and cleared them out. Since then, the Mandalorians here had moved out to their own outpost a few klicks from Mos Ila. That was where Dha had gotten a large portion of his forces; in fact, one of the Mandos there had been able to identify this warehouse.

Dha stepped toward the office, but stopped, holding up a fist. The Mandos behind him froze. Dha took a step forward and knelt.

"Trip mine," he said.

Carefully, he disabled it. Then they moved into the office. The Mandos began fanning out, scanning the office for any information that might be useful to them. Torian came up a moment later, holding his helmet under one arm.

"Poor kid was scared out of his wits," Torian muttered. "Took me two minutes to convince him that the credits I gave him weren't rigged to blow."

Dha laughed. "Poor aruetii. By his age, a Mando kid would be handling explosives."

"Don't I know it," Torian replied.

They completed their scan of the office, and Dha downloaded the contents of the computer terminal there onto his datapad. Then he opened his helmet comlink.

"Mako," he called. "You read me, cyar'ika?"

"I read you," her voice came back.

"I'm sending you all the data we could dig up," he said. "Can you have it decrypted by the time we return to Mos Ila?"

"You bet," she replied cheerily.

"Great, thanks. Dha out."

"Mako out."

Dha stuffed his datapad back into his belt and was about to leave when he heard a sharp gasp.

"Dha..." muttered Chernan. "This look familiar?"

Dha turned. Chernan was kneeling on the floor, reaching out to pick up something under the desk. Dha walked over and knelt beside him.

"What?"

Chernan held it up. It was a totem carved in the shape of a Trandoshan's head. A pair of cybernetics was mounted to the Trandoshan's temples. Dha sucked in air through his teeth.

"Kephess..."

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 28

Dressed in his finest suit, Merok moved through the reception with grace and agility. Once he nearly bumped into a dignitary carrying two glasses of wine, but a quick twist of the hip and he managed to keep from spilling the drinks all over the dignitary's fine suit.

"Merok," said Raina over his ear comlink, "target's on your left."

Merok moved in swiftly. He'd taken out two targets for Black Sun recently and they had told him to meet an informant at this party to receive his next orders. Unfortunately for them, Merok had no intention of following through with them. He saw the man ahead; he had no business wearing anything other than blast armor, and looked awkward in his tuxedo.

"That thing he's wearing probably costs more than the ship," he muttered.

He closed in and stepped up to the man. Before the man could speak, Merok had his sidearm out from under his coat and shoved in the man's gut so no one around could see it.

"Say a word and you die," Merok whispered. "Outside. Now."

"Merok, behind–"

Merok whirled, but a large fist hit him over the head. He grunted and rolled to the ground, staying still for a moment. He saw the man run away with his accomplice and he snarled in Cheunh.

"Team, move in," he said. "Do not–repeat, do not–kill them."

"Roger that," Raina replied.

Merok stood and sprinted through the reception hall. Bystanders were now in a panic, hiding under tables or running for the exit. Merok shoved several aside. Switching his blaster to stun, he ran out the front door. He looked left and right, and saw the men heading out of Kaas City toward the spaceport. He knelt, took aim, and fired. The stun bolt caught one in the knee, and he groaned but kept running.

Merok stood and ran after them at full speed. He wished he had his rifle; he could easily take them out at this range if he did. Suddenly Kaliyo jumped off the balcony above them and drove her elbow hard into the side of the first man's head. The man grunted and hit his head hard on the ground. Kaliyo whipped up her pistol and pointed it at the second man.

"Don't!" she said.

The man went for his blaster. Merok grinned. He didn't need this one. Switching his blaster to kill, he fired. So did Kaliyo. The man went down with five bolts in his chest.

"Merok to Raina," he said. "We got him."

Suddenly Kaliyo jumped off the balcony above them and drove her elbow hard into the side of the first man's head. The man grunted and hit his head hard on the ground. Kaliyo whipped up her pistol and pointed it at the second man.

"Don't!" she said.

That SO sounds like a Kaliyo maneuver.

That SO sounds like a Kaliyo maneuver.

Doesn't it? :p

Actually, I have been watching NCIS: LA lately and though that's not something that I recall ever being done on there, that show was somewhat an inspiration for this scene (except they wouldn't use stun bolts!).

Chapter 29

Merok smiled down at the prisoner. He'd been locked in the cargo hold with the man–alone–for three hours. The man was surprisingly resilient to torture. Merok slid his knife down into the palm of his hand and put the point under the prisoner's chin.

"Now, I'll ask again. Where is Black Sun's base?"

The man whimpered. He had bruises on his face, his left eye was black, and his right shoulder was dislocated. His clothes were soaked and he had second-degree burns on his forearms. The Republic didn't approve of Merok's methods, and even Merok himself didn't like using them. But...this was important.

"Okay," whimpered the prisoner. "You win...the base..."

"Dha!" called Mako over the comlink. "Dha, I've decrypted the info."

Dha looked up from the datapad. The Mandalorians around him popped their helmets on so they could listen to what she had to say. They were all eager to go.

"Dha, I found their base. It's...well, you won't like this."

Methic glanced up as Pierce walked out of the interrogation room. Quinn followed him shortly. They glanced at each other, and Pierce nodded. Quinn stepped forward.

"My lord, compiling the data we downloaded from the Nar Shaddaa hit, and from the prisoner Pierce interrogated, we believe we've found Black Sun's base of operations. And, possibly, their commander."

Methic's heart rate escalated. Finally. Maybe he could get things moving. With Marr's permission they could launch a strike at Black Sun before the Republic even found out. If Methic waited to send Gareb a message until after the attack, then they could...

But he considered. The Republic could back them up. But would the soldiers agree? It was more likely to cause a three-way battle. So he'd wait, send Gareb a delayed message until after they'd already reached Black Sun's base. By the time the Republic arrived it'd be over.

"Don't keep me in suspense," he said.

"It's..."

Jorgan crossed his arms and looked at the holograms of General Garza, Supreme Commander Malcom, Grand Master Satele Shan, and SIS Director Marcus Trant. They all had looks of wary anticipation on their faces.

"It's confirmed," Jorgan said. "Yuun processed the information from the Quesh base. We know where Black Sun's base is."

The holoterminal beeped. Trant glanced over, out of the range of Jorgan's view.

"It's Legate," he said. "I'll conference him in."

Merok appeared, a fifth hologram on the terminal. "I've just procured the information as to the location of Black Sun's base, sir."

"So have we," Jorgan said.

"Belsavis," Merok said.

"Yep," Jorgan confirmed. "In the Deep Prison. Where the Dread Masters used to be held."

Jasin was on the verge of discovering where Revan was leading him. There were only three remaining possible planets and with T7's help they even now whittled it down to two. He was excited; it was time to find out exactly what his vision meant. Suddenly, though, his holoterminal beeped. Annoyed, he walked out to the main hold.

"This is Master Jasin."

"Jasin, it's Jorgan," said the Cathar. "We've found Black Sun."

"Contact Gareb and Dankin," Jasin said. "I'll gather my crew." But on the way there I'll find out where Revan wants me to go, he promised himself.

Ten minutes later, Gareb and Dankin's images had joined Jorgan's. Rusk and Kira stood to one side of the terminal, Scourge and Doc to the other, and T7 stood with Jasin.

"It's Belsavis," Jorgan said. "Black Sun has built its command center right under our noses."

"We're already underway," Jasin said.

"Right," Jorgan replied. "Supreme Commander Malcom is massing the fleet. We're meeting at Hoth, since it's a short jump away from Belsavis. They captured hundreds of Republic soldiers and citizens during the attack on Coruscant. He wants them back."

Gareb nodded. "And Master Satele and the Council are sending all available Jedi Knights. This is it."

"We'll meet at Hoth, then," Jasin said. "May the Force be with us."

The holograms disappeared and Jasin returned to the conference room with T7.

"Come on," he said. "We need to find this planet before the attack."

T7 beeped and returned to work.

Chapter 30

Colonel Malavai Quinn stood in the main hold of the Fury, arms clasped behind his back. Pierce was prepping his Black Ops squad in the armory, which included, for this mission, Broonmark and Vette. Quinn looked over at Jaesa and gave her a smile and a wink. She smiled back, crossed over to him, and kissed him on the cheek.

"Don't die out there, my lovely Colonel," she said.

"I promise," he replied.

She returned to her previous position. Methic entered from the cockpit and whispered something to her. She nodded, and they headed for the cargo hold, which Methic also used as his storehouse for Jedi and Sith artifacts, armor, and lightsabers. Quinn frowned but turned to the holoterminal.

"All forces, report in," he said.

"Shadow Platoon, reporting in."

"Strikefire Legion, reporting in."

Rub-bub-bubbub. Oroboro, reporting in.

The other legions signaled their readiness. Quinn nodded to himself, pulled his blaster from its holster, checked its charge, and returned it to the holster.

"Shadow Platoon will attack the rear flank of the vault," Quinn said. "Oroboro and Iesei nests will back them up. Aurek and Xesh squads will lead the frontal assault with the Sith forces. The other Killik nests will reinforce them, except for Kolosolok, which will provide ground support for our starfighter squadrons."

The forces confirmed their orders with comm clicks. Quinn leaned forward heavily onto the terminal.

"Fight for your Empire, men."

He disconnected and turned. Jaesa and Methic had reentered the room. Methic went to find Vette, leaving Quinn and Jaesa alone. She now wore a few combat plates over her Jedi robes. Quinn nodded in relief.

"You saw reason, then," he said with a smile.

She nodded. "No reason for me to die stupidly," she said lightly.

"Landing in two minutes!" called Toovee Arrate.

Quinn stiffened and moved back toward the exit ramp. Jaesa followed, with Methic, Vette, and the rest of Pierce's Black Ops squad right behind them. Pierce slammed his helmet on and checked his rifle.

"Time to get 'em back for our boys," Pierce growled.

Methic nodded. Quinn, counting down, clenched his fists around his blaster. Here we go.

Jodark snuck through the dark prison. He had managed to evade Black Sun forces on Coruscant and sneak aboard one of their ships. He'd been creeping through the vault for the last few days, giving Republic prisoners words of encouragement and letting them know to be ready for revolt. He tried with the Imperial prisoners, but they were all too preoccupied with him being an alien. He snorted.

He heard guards ahead and swiftly ducked around the corner. When they'd passed, he moved down into the biggest cell, which housed all captured Republic Special Forces troops. They'd constructed a small area to keep themselves in shape, and even now were building themselves up. Several of them, wounded in the attack, were wearing prosthetic arms or legs that Black Sun had supplied them. The only thing Jodark could figure was that they were going to be used for labor.

He called out, and the Republic SpecForce troops looked up. They gathered around the cell door.

"There's an attack coming," he whispered. "I can break you out and bring weapons. Be ready."

The de-facto commander, a dark skinned, leathery man with piercing green eyes, nodded.

"We'll be ready."

Jodark glanced down. The man had a cybernetic right arm, and Jodark knew he'd been badly injured in the attack. With a nod, the Cathar disappeared into the shadows, leaving the SpecForce troops to prepare for battle.

Gareb paced as the ship hurtled through hyperspace. Did Methic know? There hadn't been time to call him and tell him of the upcoming attack on Belsavis. If Methic did know, why hadn't he called Gareb? Probably, Gareb mused, for the same reason he hadn't called Methic.

"We're ready," Zenith said.

They'd worked out a battle plan before leaving Hoth. Upon landing, Qyzen and Felix would go out first, drawing fire, followed by Gareb and Nadia, and finally Zenith and Tharan covering their rear. Tharan would meet up with Doc and Elara to work up a makeshift field hospital. Gareb reached for his lightsaber. From the cockpit, Iresso called out.

"Five minutes to hyperspace exit," he said. "Landing in ten."

"May the Force be with us," Gareb whispered.

Jasin twitched as the ship popped out of hyperspace. He had it. He had it! He knew where he needed to go to find Revan, and–

"We're here!" Kira called.

Running from the conference room, Jasin met up with his crew at the exit ramp. Scourge was seething quietly while Rusk and Doc prepped their equipment. Arms crossed, Kira had her eyes closed and was apparently meditating. T7 followed Jasin, beeping cautiously.

"The time has come," Scourge said, "to take the fight to the enemy."

Dankin ran toward the exit hatch, Corso and Akaavi right behind him, both clad in heavy combat armor. Dankin pulled his skullcap on and slid the goggles over his eyes. Guss, Risha, and Bowdaar were already at the hatch, and Dankin felt a shudder as the ship slid through the atmosphere. One of the smugglers in Dankin's alliance, a dark-skinned man named Nikk, was piloting the ship. There was a click as the intercom activated.

"The others are coming out of hyperspace behind us," Nikk said.

"Roger," Dankin replied.

Dankin's smugglers' alliance had agreed to help the Republic in this battle since, technically, they were still Republic-employed privateers.

"Touchdown in thirty seconds!" Nikk called.

Dha stood in the cargo hold as they swept through Belsavis' atmosphere. Around him were Torian, Jogo, Chernan, Dinua, and Corridan Ordo. Mako came down the ramp a moment later, clad in synthmesh battle armor and a skullcap. She didn't like fighting in full armor; she said it weighed her down too much.

"Get ready to drop," Dha said.

"Always," Chernan said with a grin.

"Are you sure you want to come, Mako?" Dha asked. "If we both die here, Crysta will be an orphan."

Mako smiled. "We'll be fine. And besides, there are no orphans on Mandalore–not for long. She'll still have Torian, and Gault and Blizz...and even Skadge."

"We'll make sure she's taken care of," Torian promised.

Dha nodded. "All right. Then let's do it! Skadge, you and Blizz meet us on the ground. Gault, guard the ship."

Chernan popped the hatch and wind rushed into the hold.

"Go, go, go!" Dha said.

"Oya!" cheered Chernan.

Merok winced as the ship touched down. Blaster bolts bounced off the front canopy, but the ship's hull was too thick for them to damage it. Swiftly, he grabbed his rifle and ran down to the exit ramp. Kaliyo and Raina were already there, and they were joined by Lokin and Scorpio shortly. Merok frowned.

"Where's Vector?"

"Communicating with Killiks," said Raina. "The Empire's using them as footsoldiers here."

Merok nodded. Vector joined them a minute later. Finally, the ramp lowered, and Merok led the charge down the ramp, firing his rifle.

Darth Nox sneered as he stepped out of his ship. A blaster bolt passed near him, and he flicked it out of the air with the Force. Khem, standing at his shoulder, growled deeply in his throat. Nox knew he was waiting to be released, and he clenched his jaw.

"Go, Khem," he said. "Eat them all."

Behind him, Andronikos and Talos fired, and Ashara and Xalek drew their lightsabers. Now is the time, Nox thought. Black Sun ends now.

Jorgan fired his rifle, taking out a Black Sun enforcer on the ridge. He dropped. Elara and Forex charged out behind him, weapons flashing. A grenade exploded near Jorgan, and he rolled. He felt a hand around his waist hauling him to his feet and he looked up. Vik grinned down at him.

"Can't lose you yet, sir," Vik said.

There was another explosion. Jorgan snapped up his rifle and fired. The enforcers near the Thunderclap were quickly eliminated. Jorgan walked over to the edge of the cliff and look down. There was a massive battle going on below, and the Republic's main strike force hadn't even landed yet. Imperials. Jorgan supposed that if they were against Black Sun, too, then they could work together. For now.

"Havoc Squad," he said, "move!"

Chapter 31

Methic leapt out of the ship with his lightsaber already in his right hand. His left hand was going for his belt when a meaty fist grabbed his cloak and slammed him hard into the ground. He groaned, rolled over–barely avoiding the blaster bolt fired by his assailant–and jumped to his feet. His attacker, a Houk, swung his fist. Methic ducked and gave the Houk a punch of his own, which connected in the thick-skinned alien's solar plexus. The Houk grunted and Methic took the opportunity to decapitate him. Then he drew his second lightsaber.

Behind him, Quinn knelt and snapped off a pair of shots. A human and a Rodian fell, dead. Pierce charged down the ramp, followed by his Black Ops squad. Methic Force-leapt across the field they'd landed in, slashing at a Trandoshan warrior. The Trandoshan raised a vibroblade and blocked Methic's lightsaber. Cortosis, blast it.

The vibroblade in the Trandoshan's hand came for Methic's gut. The Sith rolled aside and slashed his blue-bladed lightsaber down, cutting off one of the Trandoshan's fingers. The alien gave a growl-call and lunged with his claws. Methic slashed his dual-sabers in a figure-eight, disemboweling the Trandoshan. The alien plopped to the ground with a thud.

"Methic, behind you!" shouted Vette over the comlink.

He whirled and found a Dashade–not Nox's–with a large club raised. Methic crossed his lightsabers to block, but the club–cortosis again–smashed through his defenses and knocked him flat on the ground. He grabbed the Dashade in a Force choke, and the alien wheezed, panicking. Methic stood, and squeezed. The Dashade groaned, fell to the ground, and finally died.

"All forces," said Quinn, "advance on the vault. Be advised, the Republic has landed forces. Do not engage them in combat; they are assisting in the fight against Black Sun."

There was a chorus of begrudging confirmations, and the fighting resumed. Methic charged in to join Jaesa and Quinn.

Jodark snapped the guard's neck, slid his blaster out of his holster, and moved stealthily down the hallway. He reached the SpecForce cell and threw in all the weapons he'd gathered. Then, pulling out his rough, weathered pistol, he shot the lock. The SpecForce soldiers silently took up the weapons and moved out in combat formation.

"Thank you," mouthed the dark-skinned leader with the cybernetic arm.

Jodark nodded. He led the team down the hall. Most of the guards were already dead, killed by Jodark with knife or broken neck. The SpecForce soldiers looked suitably impressed. They encountered their first resistance in the large antechamber outside the cells. Five Black Sun enforcers stood in a semicircle, blasters raised. Quickly, the SpecForce troops dropped to the ground and fired. Jodark fired his blaster once, a clean headshot.

"Let's get outside," Jodark said. "The Republic and Imperial forces have already landed."

One of the SpecForce soldiers glanced up. "Is Havoc Squad with them?"

Jodark nodded. "Yes."

"Then we'll win."

Jasin leapt into battle, lightsaber flashing in a constant blur of silver-blue. A Black Sun guard dropped. Another enforcer charged, and was slashed in half. With his lightsaber spinning in a tornado of light, he quickly dropped ten enemies. The Force flashed a warning in his mind, and he dropped flat. A red-bladed lightsaber shot overhead and slashed two guards down the chest.

Jasin turned and saw the lightsaber return to Scourge's hand. The large Sith grinned at Jasin and leapt into battle, fist and lightsaber taking out equal numbers of enemies.

There was a clunk and the vault opened. Jasin winced as roughly two hundred Black Sun enforces charged in. He fought through the enemies, killing them in droves, but more and more charged through the exit from the vault, and soon the Jedi was surrounded. Somehow he ended up back-to-back with Kira, and the two of them stood there, surrounded by enemies, deflecting blaster bolts back in waves and slashing apart those close enough.

"I think we're in trouble," Jasin said.

"You don't say!" Kira replied. She ducked. "Uh–feel my Force!"

Jasin grinned at her usual combat catchphrase and resumed fighting.

Jorgan fired quickly, mowing down enemies. Then he turned and rammed his gauntlet vibroblade up across the throat of a Weequay enforcer. A blaster bolt grazed across his helmet and he threw himself to the ground. A knee dropped in the small of his back and his vision exploded in red, his body flaring in pain. His blaster rifle clattered away, and he rolled over, grappling with the mysterious attacker.

A fist slammed into the faceplate of his helmet and the attacker shouted in pain. Jorgan punched the attacker hard and whipped his pistol out. The attacker brought his fist down, but Jorgan pressed the pistol under the attacker's chin and discharged it. The attacker groaned and dropped.

Jorgan dragged himself out from under the corpse, rolled over, and holstered the weapon, retrieving his rifle. He looked down at the corpse. It was an Esh-kha, but it had a coral implant on the back of his neck. Jorgan's blood ran cold and he knew instantly what it was. Dread Master control seed.

"Shavit," he hissed.

Quickly he sprinted over toward the Jedi Master, Jasin, who was near the entrance to the vault. He blasted through the enemies on the way there, but he was overwhelmed and knocked to the ground. Enemies began dog-piling him, and he switched on his helmet comlink with a blink.

"Forex!" he called. "Need assistance!"

It wasn't two seconds before a massive metal two-ton body smashed into the enforcers piled on Jorgan. They screamed and were thrown around. Jorgan stood unsteadily.

"Forex?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Ugh...get me to the Jedi."

"Yes, sir!"

It took a full five minutes to cross the mere ten feet, but eventually he was side-by-side with Jasin.

"Sir!" Jorgan said, firing.

"What?" The Jedi slashed an enemy in half.

"Sir, I think the Black Sun is being controlled by the Dread Masters."

"What?"

"I found a control seed on–"

There was a rumble that shook the ground and actually knocked boulders off the cliff face above. Everyone–Black Sun, Republic, Imperial–froze. Up on the path that went farther into the Deep Prison, there was the sound of rumbling footsteps. And still, everything was silent save for those.

And then Kephess the Undying, a huge Trandoshan, stormed down into the canyon.

"Jorgan?" Jasin hissed.

"Yes, sir?"

"You were right."

And all at once, Black Sun resumed their attack, Kephess leading the charge.

Chapter 32

Dha soared over the battlefield in the lead of his squad of Mandalorians. He released salvos of rockets down on the heads of the Black Sun forces. They fell in droves. He pulled up as blaster bolts shot by and winced when one grazed the thin piece of fabric between his chest and shoulder armor. He did a barrel-roll to avoid more attacks, but suddenly there was a terrifying screech and a man with a coral implant leapt up at him. Dha shot him clean through the heart, but the distraction was enough that a Black Sun enforcer got a shot through, destroying Dha's jetpack.

"Gah!" he exclaimed.

He hit the ground with a powerful thud and lay there for a moment, groaning. He heard the sound of several jetpacks switching off, and then Mako and Torian were helping him stand. Chernan, Dinua, and the others landed nearby and opened fire. Dha waved Mako and Torian away.

"Keep fighting," he said. "I'm just winded. I'm fine."

They nodded and pulled out their weapons, cutting through droves of enemies. Dha swept his pistol from its holster and blew an enforcer's head to pulp, and then turned, unloading his blaster into one of Kephess' Trandoshans. But there were simply too many. One Dread Master-possessed warrior leapt on Dha's back, attacking wildly with his clawed hands. Dha grabbed him by the shoulder and flipped him over, and then discharged his blaster into his head.

He heard the sound of a blaster rifle shot and whirled. The corpse of a Weequay lay behind him, both arms above its head grasping a battle ax that would have split Dha's helmet and head in two. Dha looked over and saw Merok kneeling on the ground a dozen meters away, his rifle smoking. The Chiss nodded once and then whirled, firing and slashing with his knife. Dha grunted as a Gamorrean warrior charged him, and he went back into the fray.

Dankin pistol-whipped an enforcer across the face, turned, and fired both his blasters into a Houk clad in heavy armor. The alien fell. Dankin heard a roar from behind him and dropped on his back, sliding under the feet of a two-meter tall Twi'lek warrior. He fired both pistols up into the Twi'lek's lekku and the back of his head, killing him instantly and turning his head into a fine mist.

"Good shot, Captain!" Corso called.

The human was across the field, firing his rifle and flamethrower with abandon into the Black Sun and Dread Master forces. Dankin shook his head wearily. He glanced up. Somehow, during the fight, his adopted brother Backblast had made his way over. Backblast fired his heavy cannon, killing a Gand warrior, and moved to stand by Dankin.

"You all right?" Backblast asked.

Dankin nodded. Before he could say anything, a Wookiee roar split the air and the massive beast threw itself at Backblast. Dankin's brother tried to fire but the Wookiee pinned his arms down and threw him to the ground. There was a rattling sound and Dankin winced even as he rolled aside to avoid the Wookiee.

"Bowdaar!" he called. "Friend of yours?"

The other Wookiee bellowed a negative and leapt in to join the fight. The two Wookiees engaged in a fierce lock, slamming each other to the ground and rolling around, fists flying. Dankin moved over by Backblast and pulled off his helmet. Backblast's one eye–the other was cybernetic–was blackened from the Wookiee's blow, even through the helmet, and his visor was smashed. He was lucky shards hadn't flown through and pierced his face. Dankin helped him to his feet.

"M...Mom and Dad are here," Backblast observed. "Over with the other Mandalorians."

Dankin nodded. Unlike his brother and parents, who were humans, Dankin was a Mirialan and had been adopted into the family. Still, he held to them like they were his birth parents–who, as far as he knew, had been killed by the Empire in a raid on Dankin's homeworld.

"Go to 'em," Dankin said. "Back them up. I need to stay with my crew."

Backblast dodged a blaster bolt, hefted his cannon, returned fire, and nodded, running across the field. Dankin glanced back at Bowdaar. He had the other Wookiee in a choke hold and swiftly broke its neck. He bellowed triumphantly and picked up his fallen vibrosword, returning to the battle. Dankin did the same.

Jorgan groaned as a powerful blaster cannon bolt hit him in the chest. His armor exploded and he went rolling across the field. He lay on the ground, unable to move, feeling paralyzed by the blast. He tried to stand, fell back to the ground. His rifle was too far away to reach. He could hear the comm chatter, and he knew Dorne and Yuun were coming to his position.

But he could see that by the time they got there it'd be too late.

He reached up feebly, pulled his helmet on. He didn't want to die wearing his bucket. He collapsed to the ground, staring up into the blue sky of Belsavis. Above the clouds, he could just make out the top of the dome that shrouded the prison. Not a bad view to see as he died...

He looked up. He was lying right by the door to the vault. He could hear footsteps inside. They were coming out. Well, he wasn't going to die without a fight. With all the will he could muster, he drew his sidearm from its holster and aimed it at the door. He wouldn't die defenseless. A Cathar came out first, dark-furred–and that's what saved his life.

"Jodark!" Jorgan exclaimed. "You're alive. I thought you'd been killed during our escape!"

"Nope," the other Cathar replied. "Here I am. Safe, sound, and ready to kick Black Sun where it counts. And I've got friends."

Soldiers in prison rags, soldiers Jorgan recognized from Coruscant, poured out of the vault, armed with a motley assortment of blaster weapons. Jorgan took in a deep breath, disbelieving. How had one sneaky Cathar accomplished this? One of the last SpecForce troopers to exit looked down at Jorgan, and his eyes widened.

"Jorgan!" he said.

Jorgan ran his gaze over the trooper. He was very dark skinned, tattooed on his face, and he had a cybernetic right arm. His eyes were a piercing green and his head was topped with...cranial horns...?

"Prudii! You're alive!"

"You better believe it, Captain."

Chapter 33

Prudii threw himself at the enemies, still getting used to his cybernetic arm. Swinging his metal fist, he smashed in a Chagrian's nose, then turned and swept his rifle, killing three enforcers and a Dread Master slave. Kephess' Trandoshans swept through the throngs of Republic and Imperial forces, tearing apart soldiers, Jedi, and Sith. Force lightning and blaster bolts flew; vibroblades and lightsabers swung.

Prudii grunted, tripped over a fallen battle droid, and fell face-first onto the ground. He found himself staring at green armored boots, and he looked up. Elara glanced down, saw him, and even though she had a helmet on he could tell her eyes widened. He stumbled to his feet.

"Prudii?" she gaped.

He nodded. "In the flesh, darling. I'll explain later. Jorgan's down. He's hurt bad."

"I'm on it, sir."

She sprinted by, firing her blaster. Prudii fired from the hip, cutting down another two troops. He swung his rifle, smashing it upside the head of a Trandoshan. The alien fell and Prudii's rifle shattered. With a groan Prudii leaned down and picked up another weapon from the many on the ground. He fired, but the rifle clicked–empty!–and he threw it down, jumping forward just before a tossed vibroknife shaved above his head. Wincing, he picked up another weapon and fired. This one worked.

Jasin came up behind him, lightsaber sweeping. News must have been sweeping over the comm channels, because the Jedi betrayed no surprise at seeing Prudii. Then again, maybe he'd just sensed him in the Force.

"Good to see you're alive," Jasin said with a grin.

"Good to be alive," Prudii agreed.

Together, they stood, back-to-back, firing and slashing, for a solid five minutes. Droves of enemies fell, corpses of allies and foes piling up around them so many that the enemies had to climb over to get at them. Prudii fired up, dropping another one.

"I need to get to Kephess," Jasin said.

Prudii nodded. "Comlink."

Jasin dug into his pocket and handed one to Prudii. Prudii fired another shot and then activated the communications device.

"Havoc Squad, give Master Jasin covering fire," he ordered.

"Roger that," Jorgan groaned.

"By the way, good to have you back, sir," said Tanno.

"Thanks. Prudii out."

Jasin Force-leapt over the pile of bodies. Prudii clambered on top and fired a few shots, taking down enemies that were headed for the Jedi. Then, without hesitation, Prudii leapt from the pile and sprinted after Jasin.

Gareb sensed Jasin going toward Kephess and moved that way, Qyzen and Zenith covering him. He Force-pushed, knocking back a team of enemies moving to cut him off. He had a clear shot at Kephess. Jasin had already reached the large Trandoshan and was now engaging him. Even as Gareb reached the Undying warrior, Methic and Dha leapt in, too.

Gareb ripped a tree from its roots and hurled it at Kephess. Kephess rolled aside just as the tree reached him, and the branches grazed him, tearing gaps in his flesh. Qyzen snarled and leapt at Kephess, Trandoshan to Trandoshan. But Gareb saw they couldn't do it alone. Pulling out his comlink, he tuned it for all Republic channels.

"We need reinforcements!" he said.

Dankin winced as the comlink crackled and Gareb's voice came over. It only took Dankin a moment to find him; there, fighting Kephess at the foot of the trail.

"Bowdaar!" he said. "Corso, Akaavi! Come on, let's go!"

Bowdaar roared with glee and charged out, his arms and vibrosword sweeping the enemies aside. Akaavi closed in behind him. When Dankin was ten meters from the engagement, he threw down his energy shield and ducked behind it. He fired both pistols at the Trandoshan.

Merok moved to the top of the mountain looking down over the fight. He crawled down onto his belly, training his rifle on Kephess. He'd only get one shot at this. He tapped out a signal over the comlink, and Kaliyo tapped back a reply. She led Vector and a squad of Oroboro Killiks over to take on Kephess. Merok frowned. Now every major player in the battle was engaging Kephess, save for one.

Where was Darth Nox?

He decided he really didn't want to know.

Jasin's lightsaber spun, smashing against Kephess' vibrosword. This blasted alien really was invincible! They'd scored wounds across his arms, legs, chest, and even face, but still Kephess refused to die. Enraged, the powerful Trandoshan was fighting with all his might, pushing back even Jasin.

Rocks thrown by Gareb and blaster bolts fired by others smashed into Kephess. The alien was limping forward now, but he was still moving. Jasin raised his blade for a killing blow, but Kephess backhanded him, sending him flying a good three meters. Lying on the ground, Jasin watched as Qyzen roared and sunk his powerful teeth into Kephess' arm. Kephess groaned, pulled away, and bellowed out in rage as his arm stayed in Qyzen's teeth. Taking advantage of the moment, Bowdaar charged, ramming his shoulders into Kephess' gut. The alien fell.

Jasin rolled to his feet, panting. He Force-pulled his lightsaber to him and started forward. Kephess grabbed Dha, threw him, and then did the same to Akaavi. How could one being be so powerful?

And then, a wall of Force lightning, more powerful than any Jasin had encountered, save the Emperor's, slammed into Kephess' chest. The alien roared in agony and fell to the ground.

Methic looked up in surprise as Darth Nox surged forward, lightning pouring from his fingertips. When had the Twi'lek arrived? And why would he intervene now? No matter; it was time to finish the fight. Leaping forward, Methic spun both lightsabers at Kephess, severing his other arm. The alien shrieked and roared. But he was defenseless.

And then suddenly there was a rocking explosion that sent every combatant to their knees.

Methic tried to get up. He really did. But the agony...the agony. There was a subsonic hum vibrating deep in his skull and breastbone, and he could see that everyone else was feeling it too. And then, a Dread Guard stepped from the shadows.

"You will not take the Masters' vessel," he growled. He lifted Kephess' injured body with the Force and pulled him away.

And a blaster bolt shot through the air, blowing the Dread Guard's head off his shoulders. The agony stopped, but Methic still couldn't move; he was too busy being relieved. Kephess, on the other hand, spent no time running away as fast as possible. Jasin leapt to his feet.

"I'll get him!"

Merok sighed. He fired a few more blaster bolts at Kephess, but the Trandoshan was too far away. Well, so much for that. He'd been ready to kill the Trandoshan when the Dread Guard had come out, forcing him to change his plan. Well, it was over now, and he had new orders.

"All Republic forces," said Supreme Commander Malcom over the comlink, "round up the Black Sun prisoners. The battle is over and the Imperials have agreed to a ceasefire as long as we give them the Black Sun's captured Imperials back as a gesture of good faith. We will leave Belsavis and the ceasefire will stay in effect until we have both returned to our respective capitols. Good work, men. Supreme Commander Malcom, out."

Standing, Merok prepared to take a lot of prisoners.

Chapter 34

Jasin dogged Kephess through the vaults, slashing away trees when they got in his way and animals that attacked him. He would not lose the Trandoshan. He pushed his way forward. Kephess came to a stop in the middle of a huge clearing. There was nothing as far as the eye could see save for water, and the cliff face that signaled the end of the dome in the distance.

"You're trapped," Jasin said. "Surrender, Kephess."

Kephess turned and looked at Jasin. There was madness in his eyes, and he looked like he would die at any moment. With both arms gone, he was leaning awkwardly forward. His armored chestplate was gray and smoking, slashed and shot to pieces. Scar tissue covered his entire face. His jaw sagged.

"I...will not...surrender," he growled.

Jasin heard a rumble, and he took a step back. A ship rose from the water behind Kephess. An Imperial ship, it had the symbol of the Dread Masters painted on the side. Jasin felt his blood run cold. Kephess turned, jumped onto a large boulder behind him, and then took a leap toward the ship. Jasin hissed and leapt onto the rock after Kephess, and then shoved off with the Force, flying after Kephess.

The Trandoshan landed on the top of the ship. Jasin landed behind him. A hatch opened in front of Kephess, and two Dread Guards stepped out of the ship. Kephess entered, leaving Jasin behind. The Dread Guards snapped their lightsabers to life and charged. Jasin ducked under the blade of the first guard, while blocking the blade of the second. He kicked out, sending the second one stumbling back, and then slashed at the first guard. The guard blocked his blow, and Jasin slashed three times in quick succession, each blocked by the guard. Then Jasin reversed the grip on his saber and back-stabbed the second guard, who had been coming up behind him. In an equally fast move, he ripped the lightsaber from the guard's chest and decapitated the other.

Then he entered the Dread Masters' ship.

The ship was cold. Jasin shuddered as he dropped down into the hallway. It was dark in here, and frost lined the walls. He took a cautious step forward, and then another. He reached out, probing the ship with the Force. He sensed Kephess' distinctive presence down the hall. He followed.

His lightsaber cast a silver-blue glow through the hall. The walls were tinted blue, and the symbol of the Dread Masters was painted every few meters. Jasin felt darkness in here. Powerful darkness.

He stepped into the room where Kephess was. Inside, it was larger than it should have been. The walls were lined with trophies; dozens of them. From lightsabers to blasters, Mandalorian helmets to ancient Sith breastplates, holocrons to scrolls...it was all here. And at the end of the room, Kephess sagged on the ground, tired. He could no longer run. But Jasin glanced up, and the walls behind the Trandoshan opened.

Five Sith stepped into the room.

Jasin and his allies had already killed one of the Dread Masters. But the others were bent on revenge, on making the Jedi who'd slain their fallen brother pay for what they'd done. Styrak had been a tough foe to defeat, even with backup. Jasin knew he couldn't face the other five alone.

"At last you come to us," Raptus said.

"Not willingly," Jasin replied.

"But you still come," Bestia rasped.

"You come," continued Tyrans, "to die."

"No," Jasin said. "I came to kill Kephess. But I will fight you instead, if I must."

"You will lose," Brontes said.

"Perhaps. But I'll take at least one of you with me."

"And what good would that do?" Raptus asked. "One of us fallen, but with you dead the Republic loses its greatest chance of victory."

"The Republic will prevail," Jasin said. "With or without me."

He took a step forward, his lightsaber clasped tightly in his right hand. Raptus took a step forward and blasted Force lightning at Jasin. Raising his lightsaber, the Jedi deflected the energy into the ground.

"I fought the Emperor," Jasin said. "I defeated him. I may not defeat all of you but I can protect myself."

The door behind Jasin slid open. Taking a risk, Jasin whirled. Scourge stepped through, lightsaber gripped in his hand. Jasin frowned. How had Scourge...?

"It is time," Raptus said.

Scourge nodded. "Yes, my lord."

He lunged–at Jasin.

Jasin jumped aside, shock making his body tremble. How could this be? Scourge had been his most faithful ally for over a year now! They'd defeated the Emperor together; why would Scourge ally himself with the Dread Masters?

Dropping to his knees, Jasin swept his lightsaber at Scourge's knees. The Sith leapt over the blade and brought his hilt down on Jasin's head. Jasin rolled aside before the blow could land. He Force pushed, knocking Scourge away and shattering many display cases. Jasin lifted the glass shards and hurled them at Scourge. The red-skinned Sith casually blew them aside with the Force.

Jasin's knees buckled as Scourge lashed out. Another blow, and another, took Jasin aback and knocked his saber wide. Soon, he knew, he'd lose his grip on the weapon. When had Scourge become so powerful? How?

Scourge brought his lightsaber down again, and Jasin brought his own blade up. The energy blades locked. Jasin looked at Scourge in the eye; Scourge glared down at Jasin. The Sith sneered.

"Know your true foes," Scourge said.

The words lodged themselves in Jasin's mind and he stood there, confused, while Scourge pressed his lightsaber down farther. And abruptly, Jasin understood.

Taking a risk, he disengaged himself from Scourge's lightsaber, leaving himself open to a killing blow–and hurled his lightsaber across the room at the Dread Masters. His guess was correct; as soon as he did so, Scourge leapt into action, his lightsaber sweeping for Tyrans' head.

The Dread Masters reacted instantly. Raptus reached out with the Force, grabbed Jasin's lightsaber, and snapped the hilt in half. Jasin winced. That's another saber... Jasin thought ruefully. He did not have time to react to the attack, and Raptus and Brontes Force-blasted him across the room. As he flew, he thought he saw a glint of glowing blue standing by one of the cases...

Orgus?

He rolled that direction, grunting in pain. He landed right beside one of the smashed cases. He pulled himself up. And there, to his surprise, sat the lightsaber once used by his long-gone Master. Orgus' lightsaber! How had the Dread Masters gotten it? Jasin gripped the hilt, ignited the blade, and basked in the glorious, deep blue. Then he leapt into action.

The lightsaber swept with unbelievable speed, as if Orgus were guiding Jasin's arm. The Dread Masters blocked his blows, if only barely. He swept the blade, letting himself fall into the flow of the Force. He didn't even realize the battle was over until he was standing in the middle of the room, panting. Sweat matted his hair down, making it a mess, unrulier than usual. The Dread Masters were all on the ground with Kephess, groaning. None of them were dead, Jasin saw, but they all had stab- and slash-wounds on their torsos, and one of them–Calphayus–had both of his legs chopped off at the knees. Scourge, kneeling, holding a wound in his side, stood and walked over to Jasin.

"Come on," Jasin said. "Let's get out of here, fast."

Scourge nodded. "Lead the way."

"Go if you want, Jedi," Raptus snarled. "But you...cannot...go back to what you were. Our ship...has left Belsavis' atmosphere...it is too late...your former life is over."

"I'll find my way back to the Republic," Jasin said. "And then we'll stop you."

He and Scourge turned, found the escape pods, and blasted off. Floating in space, Belsavis a mere speck in the distance, they sat there, staring at each other.

"How did you gain the Dread Masters' trust?" Jasin asked.

"It was simple," Scourge replied. "After Styrak's death, I presented myself to them, explaining my intention to betray you. From there, I simply gave them information that was just correct enough to be proven reliable. When you began to chase Kephess, they summoned me to their ship, saying it was time."

"So you didn't tell me about this plan because...?"

"Because your surprise had to be genuine," Scourge replied, "your hurt real."

Jasin nodded. "Well done, Scourge. If it weren't for you I might not be alive right now."

"Always a pleasure to betray a Jedi," Scourge replied, the corner of his mouth curling into a small grin.

Jasin walked over to the control panel and programmed their destination. Scourge frowned over his shoulder.

"Wait...that's not in Republic space," he said.

"No," Jasin replied. "No, right now I have to follow my vision. We're not going back to the Republic. We're going to find Revan...strap down. Our next stop is Lehon, Rakata Prime...the Unknown World."

Gareb stood, staring up into the sky. Kira walked up beside him, frowning.

"Jasin never returned," she said. "Do you think he's...?"

"No," Gareb replied with a smile. "No, my cousin is alive and well. But I sense it will be some time...quite some time...before we see him again."

He put his arm around his cousin-in-law's shoulder.

"Come," he said, "we have a Republic to protect."

END

*raucous applause* :D

And an official:

SQUEE

*Takes bow*

Thank you, thank you!

So, to all my readers out there, what do you want to see from my next story? Is there any specific resolutions you'd like to see (aside from the obvious, big plot-points)? Any character team-ups?

Either way, I will likely be doing a few stories based around single characters (like the ones in my sig) for a while, while I prepare for my next big fic. I will likely be waiting to see the resolution on the Dread Masters arc in-game before I post my next big one, because I don't want to kill them off in my fic and have them die differently in-game, or have them alive in my fic after they should be dead via in-game timeline. But there will be more coming, just tell me what you want to see. :)