Imperial Intelligence (IA ending spoliers)

Path-x

Comparing marines to surveillance agents and spies is inappropriate. Marines are a combat unit (as you stated yourself, riflemen first and foremost) while Imperial Intelligence is primary a surveillance and espionage organization.

Edit: Replaced the "absurd" with the "inappropriate" for the sake of nicer discussion. :)

EDIT: Toned down everything. You missed my point entirely..again. I'll let you go back and see if you can get it. If you don't agree with my analogies then feel free to say so, but please quit telling me they are inappropriate.

They are neither irrelevant nor going against social mores or cultural taboos, so either English is not your cradle tongue and that was a word you were taught and favor, you don't understand the definition of the word and it's application or just use it to try and get a rise out of people.

Edited by Temeluchus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You still haven't convinced me how exactly would dissolution of Imperial Intelligence benefit them in any way. Both in short and long term they lose a great deal of personal power and influence. Are you implying they are self-destructive or even mentally challenged? :)

What I'm saying is that a powerful sith might believe that they could bring at least some of the assets of imperial intelligence under their personal control, which would be of immense benefit to them. Power plays don't always work as intended, however, especially when there are wild cards in play as there are in the the agent story. It can be argued that the Sith are, in fact self destructive, in that they put their passions and personal power ahead of the good of the empire. They wouldn't see it that way, of course.

EDIT: Toned down everything. You missed my point entirely..again. I'll let you go back and see if you can get it. If you don't agree with my analogies then feel free to say so, but please quit telling me they are inappropriate.

They are neither irrelevant nor going against social mores or cultural taboos, so either English is not your cradle tongue and that was a word you were taught and favor, you don't understand the definition of the word and it's application or just use it to try and get a rise out of people.

What I was trying to say is that (in my opinion) the analogy that you gave is bad and does not fit this particular case. In the next sentence I further explained why I think that. So even if the choice of word in the first sentence was not the best I think the second sentence made it clear what I was trying to say.

And although the word "inappropriate" is usually used to describe moral improperness, its definition is wider and can be used to describe lack of general suitableness or fitting (to my knowledge at least).

Edited by Path-x

To be honest, I don't think that your average Sith *gets* intelligence. My SW, anyway, really saw any good foe as one she could clobber with a lightsaber. She wasn't very smart. She wasn't particularly clever. She saw something's physical (and Force) strength as it's greatest determinant of value. (This bit is hinted at when you're told that the Sith and Jedi aren't paying attention to the Star Cabal because they don't care about almost anything that's non-Force related. They're like little demi-gods, playing games with their magic powers, unaware that there's stuff out there that may be even more powerful than their magic pixie dust.)

Intelligence is the complete opposite of the Sith. It doesn't value magic; it values technology. It doesn't value brute strength; it values cunning.

Is it any surprise that the Sith don't know what to do with it other than strip it of its assets? Not really. From everything we see in the game, neither the Jedi nor the Sith are overly crafty. They're just a bunch of kids with super powers. That's the whole *point* of agent - that giving a bunch of ordinary humans super powers and letting them do whatever they want is a horrible, terrible thing for the 99% of people in the universe who don't happen to have those super powers.

My view of the sith falls somewhat inline with that. There are a few conniving manipulators controlling a vast sea of puppets.

However, I see the Jedi order as observant and generally passive, perhaps a bit naive in their quest for peace and balance. They are more stewards of the will of the force to maintain balance and stick up for the little guy almost to a fault. I think they can be overly trusting of others because they want to believe everyone is capable of being good and it's in their nature to want to believe it.

I think II is the closest thing to an outside awareness and conscience that the empire has...because of this...the sith powers that be want to prevent an "awakening" of sorts and disband II because of their overt fear of an aware empirical population.

• 1 month later...

I don't recall any specific instances of the Jedi being manipulated, but still just control the flow of information and you control a person's perception of reality and therefore how they react.

the clone wars???

hell there were sith infiltrators in the order itself manipulating the jedi, they arnt stupid but they arnt to bright either.

the star cabal worked their stuff by being subtle, i believe that the motion to disband II was something they themselves said was risky but they felt that they had to in order to try and stop cypher nine.

Edited by Kaisernick

The Sith are generally just that retarded. They don't care about the Empire, just themselves and their own personal 'power.' It's no surprise they'd destroy intelligence and dessiminate the powers of the organization to where they can use it for their own PERSONAL gain. That's all they care about.

Light side Sith notwithstanding, of course.

The Sith are generally just that retarded. They don't care about the Empire, just themselves and their own personal 'power.' It's no surprise they'd destroy intelligence and dessiminate the powers of the organization to where they can use it for their own PERSONAL gain. That's all they care about.

Light side Sith notwithstanding, of course.

Thats why I sided with jadus and gave him the codex they are going to rebuild sith intellgence with force user operatives and me as the leader of it but it will take time to setup. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
To be honest, I don't think that your average Sith *gets* intelligence. My SW, anyway, really saw any good foe as one she could clobber with a lightsaber. She wasn't very smart. She wasn't particularly clever. She saw something's physical (and Force) strength as it's greatest determinant of value. (This bit is hinted at when you're told that the Sith and Jedi aren't paying attention to the Star Cabal because they don't care about almost anything that's non-Force related. They're like little demi-gods, playing games with their magic powers, unaware that there's stuff out there that may be even more powerful than their magic pixie dust.)

Intelligence is the complete opposite of the Sith. It doesn't value magic; it values technology. It doesn't value brute strength; it values cunning.

Is it any surprise that the Sith don't know what to do with it other than strip it of its assets? Not really. From everything we see in the game, neither the Jedi nor the Sith are overly crafty. They're just a bunch of kids with super powers. That's the whole *point* of agent - that giving a bunch of ordinary humans super powers and letting them do whatever they want is a horrible, terrible thing for the 99% of people in the universe who don't happen to have those super powers.

This, so much. The Sith value Strength. If a given Sith ceases to be Strong, his apprentice kills him and takes his place. This might keep them sharp (and good at spotting plots, stupid isn't quite the right word), but in the end the characteristic that is selected for in the ranks of the Sith is being really good at killing other Sith. Furthermore, they value Passion. One of the roads to increasing your power in the dark side is increasing your Passion, and letting your emotions give you strength.

Being THE VERY MOST PASSIONATE and THE STRONGEST... actually they're kind of like Evil Kamina. But regardless! It doesn't lend itself well to being tactical and "thinky." It lends itself well to being PASSIONATE and STRONG and to thinking of other Sith as your biggest enemies. (NOT the Republic.) So yes, they'll do completely braindead things like disbanding Imperial Intelligence because they aren't on the Dark Council for their strategic acumen. I was pretty annoyed by it at first, but as I thought about it and played through other storylines (and got to see the Council members who weren't Jadus) it started to be exactly consistent with what I knew of the Dark Council.

Maybe you hadn't noticed during the other chapters of the Agent story (they don't really go out of their way to rub your nose in it), but the biggest thing holding the Empire back is the Sith. Not because they're stupid necessarily, but because they have massive cultural and systemic biases that the likes of the Cabal can use against them. Most of them probably think of Imperial Intelligence the way you think of your garbageman - and of course you can fire him with no ill effects if he's causing trouble, right? They have holes in their viewpoint that you can drive a truck through.

Jadus is relatively unique among his peers. Codex describes him as cold, seething, and brilliant. Of all the plots by Sith in the game, his probably is the best, because he's the one who gets it.

The only other Sith in the KotOR series who come close are Darths Traya and Revan.

Edited by Guancyto

Jadus is relatively unique among his peers. Codex describes him as cold, seething, and brilliant. Of all the plots by Sith in the game, his probably is the best, because he's the one who gets it.

The only other Sith in the KotOR series who come close are Darths Traya and Revan.

I really want Jadus to make a return eventually basically for this reason, gotta be a reason BW made sure none of his outcomes result in his death.

Edited by CaptainApop

My three favourite sith in swtor is Darth malgus, Marr and Jadus since all three of them pretty much hold the same view on aliens if one guy is better at a job than the other guy why not use them?

Plus they have common sense compared to other sith.

• 2 weeks later...