Mace Windu all time best?

mikegoist

I read that Dooku was a better duelist than Windu.

Here I just copied this from Wookiepedia since I don't know how to link things.

Powers and AbilitiesEdit

Lightsaber TrainingEdit

Dooku in the Form II opening stance.

"He is a fencer. Leverage, position, advantage—they are as natural to him as breathing."

―Qui-Gon Jinn's spirit, to Yoda, on Dooku[src]

Before his resignation, Dooku was known as one of the most skilled duelists and lightsaber instructors in the Jedi Order.[1] He was the Jedi Temple's most agile swordmaster and instructor.[23] Along with Yoda, Dooku was one of only two Jedi who were known to have bested Mace Windu at sparring,[3] and during the time of the Confederacy Crisis, it was said that aside from Yoda, only Windu would have been his equal on neutral ground.[13] Though styles like Form I, Form III, and Form V were more practical in the age of blasters, Dooku's competitive spirit drove him toward the second form of lightsaber combat, Makashi, though he maintained a working knowledge of other forms as well.[23]

Dooku applying Makashi in combat.

In combat, he used his bladework to redirect and deflect, rather than attempting to meet his opponent head on, fending off enemies with a minimal expenditure of energy before unleashing rapid and devastating counters. As per Makashi training regimens, Dooku relied heavily on his footwork to outmaneuver his enemy, basing himself on balance, back-and-forth charges, and sudden retreats.[26] His skill in Form II was such that he could hold his own against up to four opponents with little difficulty.[29] He was one of a very few practitioners of dueling-centric Makashi in the Order at the time,[1] and unmatched in his mastery of it.[26] Over the years, Dooku had become an expert duellist, and this was a quality that Darth Sidious valued in an apprentice who would, as Dooku was, be used to great effect in the instigation and exacerbation of the Clone Wars.

Upon joining the Sith, Darth Tyranus had little left to learn about dueling, instead learning the Sith art of Dun Möch, a tactic that focused on disrupting an opponent's concentration by the use of psychological warfare.[104] His most notable usages of the technique were against Anakin Skywalker. However, each time he applied it, it backfired, and he only encouraged Skywalker to draw on his anger, which more often than not spurred him on to fight even better.[29] The first instance of this on Tatooine resulted in Tyranus being pushed back by Anakin, although Dooku laughed off the achievement as Anakin fled. In this duel, Dooku outclassed Anakin several times, with Anakin barely surviving the duel. His second attempt during his duel in Theed Palace, caused Anakin to vigorously assault Dooku until at one point he managed to strangle Dooku with one hand (much to the overseeing Chancellor Palpatine's pleasure) just after they bladelocked as Dooku had been knocked off his feet onto a stairway - until Dooku aggressively dislodged him and blasted Anakin across the hallway with a tremendous burst of force lightning from both hands, throwing Anakin hard into the hallway columns and tumbling across the floor. As the duel progressed, Dooku easily matched anything Anakin had to offer, though the entire duel revealed Anakin was no longer an easy target for Dooku—though Dooku goaded Anakin by saying that defeating him alone would be an easy task. This duel showed to both Dooku and Palpatine that Anakin was growing much more powerful than he was before, much to Dooku's chagrin and Palpatine's secret delight. During his final duel with Skywalker onboard the Invisible Hand, Dooku's application of Dun Möch in combat was nearly successful. However, it backfired, as his taunts only encouraged Skywalker to fall into a rage allowing him to gradually break through Tyranus' formidable defenses.[29] This time, Dooku didn't survive.[2][29]

Force AbilitiesEdit

"His knowledge of the Force was…unique."

―Jocasta Nu, on Dooku[src]

Dooku demonstrating his skill in telekinesis before a group of Jedi learners.

As a Jedi, Dooku was a renowned student of the Force and learned many of the Jedi arts. He was recognized as a skilled master of telekinesis, and lectured on the subject as a Jedi Master.[1] His skill in telekinesis was usually used to augment his dueling prowess, although he was also capable of a limited form of flight.[55] As a Sith Lord, he sometimes combined telekinesis with the use of Force lightning[5] or Force choke.[2] Dooku had a notable ability to multitask, and used the Force frequently even in the midst of lightsaber combat.[2]

Dooku also had knowledge of the Living Force, and used it once to heal himself of a deadly plague.[21] In addition, he was able to tame animals and bend them to his will, most notably a krayt dragon.[105] As Darth Tyranus, he learned how to forcibly rip information out of the minds of his enemies with the Force.[47] Dooku also mastered the Qey'tek meditation, which allowed him to hide his presence in the Force. Opposing Jedi were usually unable to pierce this concealment, although Kenobi succeeded on Tythe when he was previously aware Dooku was present.[23]

After his conversion to the dark side Dooku mastered many of its more infamous powers. He was highly skilled with the ability of Force choke, using it to kill his former Padawan Komari Vosa and to incapacitate Obi-Wan Kenobi during their final duel. Dooku had a particular liking for the ability of Force lightning. He used it to incapacitate Anakin Skywalker on Geonosis and attempted to do the same to both Obi-Wan and Yoda, though the latter two were able to block it. Dooku would display his mastery of this power on numerous other occasions.

btw, Iv'e had it with these mother****ing sith's on this mother****ing starship (I just had to say it)

• 2 years later...

form 7 Juyo, altered in mindset by mace windu and master bulq to become a variant named vaapad. Does this mean he was the greatest duelist, not sure, Obi wan had little force ability compared to other students in the academy was on his way to the agri farms before obi saw his raw athletic abilty ina duel, he overcame not being strong in the force to rival even anakin skywalker. Greatest duelist was once stated qui gon jinn had only a few equals in dueling, it took rage and vaapad to overcome him with darth maul a vaapad master.l So who is the best duelist, Revan? Nomi? Luke? Anakin? Satele? its all subjective to what you choose, truth is Lightsaber combat was more about force control than actual martial abiltiy yet Obi wan though force sensative was able to channel what he had to be an extrmely adept combatant but this also left him vulnerable against powerful force users such as duuku who was able to overcome kinobi's defenses and make him vulnerable in combat by a force attack.

Yoda used Ataru, though he mastered all 7 minus vaapad form of juyo, I think he was great eu vs cannon becomes the problem exar kun vs film charecters, revan a force prodigy much like anakin or yoda was also a sword master. Again this is really just a subjective idea who is best.

I never liked or cared for Mace Windu after that, annoyed and condescending, look he gives Qui-Gon Jinn, when he tells him to bring the boy (Anakin) before them.

I think that perfectly represents what Palpatine says to Anakin about the Jedi...how he believes they only think of themselves and their power as well.

I was always under the impression that Mace did not like or believe in Anakin's abilities. There was a great scene in ROTS when Obi Wan asks " Isn't Anakin the Chosen One? " and Mace's reply was " So the prophecy says " with all the smug, arrogant contempt he could muster.

I do think Mace was the best of his time, but he was highly arrogant.

This argument really comes down to which Jedi/Sith you like best, since there's a bit of circular logic going on with Person X beat Person Y beat Person Z beat Person X. We also don't really know if he really beat Sidious, or if it was a ruse.

Just to throw my 2 cents in - Mace Windu is my least favorite character in the entire film saga, including Jar Jar Binks. I enjoyed him more in the Gendy animated series, and probably in the Filoni Clone Wars series as well.