Sith Assassin Tank Help

Ajahax

Assassin tanks are more like Paladin tanking from WoW then Druid

Dark ward is temp buff that increases shield chance - holy shield

Dark Guard you get small healing from hits - Seals

AoE ability that debuffs - HoR

Assassinate - HoW

You have choice between single target or AoE melee attacks - CS / HoR

Wearing light armor has no affect as talents will bring us up to Heavy armor levels.

Now if only they fixed shields to work with non white attacks ......

I am posting my stats from my assassin tank right now without any buffs.. just with dark charge active and dark ward up.

Defense chance is 27.78% chance(30% is cap)

Absorption chance is 35.54%(When shield i take that much less damage from the attack after damage reduction)

Shield chance(with dark ward active and 4 piece is..) 55.56%

21,757 HP(not buffed)

Damage reduction is 42.67% from armor with dark charge active. Thats 47.67% keeping wither active

Soo, basically... sith assassins have a VERY strong mitigation. My health never spikes.. Most people that claim they are with Assassin tanks and their health spikes is mostly, because most of the assassin tanking gear is poorly itemized. They all have absorb and accuracy. Frankly, I dont have hardly any accuracy at all and I hold aggro very well. I also run with 31 build with Whither.. which is 5% extra damage reduction.

The self healing is timed nicely during an uninterrupted lash of attacks with your 3 charge with your force lightning is nice. People say its just "Meh" but its very powerful IMO 3% your total health EVERY tick of chain lightning damage.. Its pretty big when you have 23k HP raid buffed.. nice little heal. Chain lightning ticks about.. 3-4 times.. so thats 9-12% of your health..

Also.. since shield cap is 50%.. on top of darkward... we have the potential to hit 65%-70%(unlikely with current gear) shield rating. Jugs will ONLY ever have 50%

Now our Cooldowns.

Deflect 50% range defense and melee defense- 2min cd

Force shroud(when speced into have 5 secs) of PURE FORCE AND TECH IMMUNITY as well as wiping all current negative status clean from your character(but not bleeding) 45 sec CD

Juggernauts CDs

Invincible

Instant

Cooldown: 3 minutes

Reduces all damage taken by 40% for 10 seconds.

Saber Ward

Instant

Cooldown: 3 minutes

Raises a lightsaber ward, increasing melee and ranged defenses by 50% and reducing the damage taken from Force and tech attacks by 25%. Lasts 12 seconds.

I personally say ours is more WIN!

I use force shroud like it ain't no bodies business.

Also on the whole.. we make up for not having as much armor.. by having stupid amounts of HP as well.

As for saying assassin tanks health is spikey.. well they have been with assassin tanks that stack absorb and not touch their augments =p.. me.. I farmed pvp gear for the shield/def rating gear.. F having high absorb.. whats the point of absorbing 45% of the damage when you shield.. if you never shield =p

EDIT:

1.1 they are increasing the amount of self healing we get from dark charge.. WIN!

and increasing wither damage.. MORE WIN! 15% more high amount of threat.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200bIrokrskbsZZf0cM.1

I think i use the typical build. Any questions PM me.

Edited by Tallyhoe

Assassin tanks are more like Paladin tanking from WoW then Druid

Dark ward is temp buff that increases shield chance - holy shield

Dark Guard you get small healing from hits - Seals

AoE ability that debuffs - HoR

Assassinate - HoW

You have choice between single target or AoE melee attacks - CS / HoR

Wearing light armor has no affect as talents will bring us up to Heavy armor levels.

Now if only they fixed shields to work with non white attacks ......

shields work fine they are working as intended. You can not Defened or Shield against Internal or Elemental damge. they can only be resisted. Everything else you can Defend or sheild against.

• 1 month later...
You are so wrong...not only have the devs made it clear about 30 times that all tanks can be MTs but I have a SA tank lv 25 and (other than idiot dps warriors jumping in for the first hit) have had no trouble tanking, keeping aggro and staying alive.

Not all of us Marauders are idiots <>..<>

First thing, SA is not a MT, SA is a OT.

That is it.

i have solo tanked jarg and sorno together, with an offtank(dps jug switched stance) to pick up jarg when the stun bot comes out. i have solo tanked G4-B3 heavy fabricator, with 10 stacks of his armor reduction. i have tanked every boss in 8 man hard modes.

Not all of us Marauders are idiots <>..<>

It isn't a marauder thing, it is a sith warrior thing in general. Those guys just can't bring themselves to stop even for a second once they get moving. That's "ok" when they're the tank of course (Immortal Juggernauts) but in other cases it can be a little frustrating for some folks.

I've just come to a point of thinking it really doesn't matter if the mobs are dying and the healer isn't complaining. If the DPS SW (regardless of AC) wants to leap ahead, let them. If the healer can keep up and stuff dies it is a win. If the healer can't keep up then we'll end up being down a DPS and eventually said DPS SW might eventually learn (or ragequit and get replaced by my Khem Val ;) )

That is it.

*laugh* Yeah you and that developer without a clue think that. Nice show of absolutely no real knowledge of this game and its mechanics though. If by OT one mean taking adds and stuff you are actually the worst for it since at 3+ targets your Dark Ward will start to vanish before you can even refresh it.

Edited by Dhariq

I know im only lvl 36 but tanking is as an assassin i have no issues with getting spiked down at all. Ive had healers in flashpoints tell me ive been the easiest tank to heal. I have 9.8k Unbuffed Hp 20% D 30+% sheild and 28% absorb. I know itll be differnt when i get to 50 but as far as im seeing Assassins tank as well or sometimes better then the rest. All it comes down to is getting to know your class and preforming. THIS ISNT WOW. You actually have to try

That is it.

You are so wrong about this. Im main tank for my guild and we have all operations hard mode on farm status.

We dont even use 2 tanks on the KP "shower" bot boss, and I keep tanking it 100% of the time with 10 stacks with no problem.

Who is the better tank for Foreman Crusher Nightmare? Jugg or Assassin?

We usually use a Jugg because Juggs are terrible for picking up the adds but that aside if there were no adds, which tank would be better?

Juggs seem to have the better defensive cooldowns for his enrage, no?

Who is the better tank for Foreman Crusher Nightmare? Jugg or Assassin?

We usually use a Jugg because Juggs are terrible for picking up the adds but that aside if there were no adds, which tank would be better?

Juggs seem to have the better defensive cooldowns for his enrage, no?

we use an assassin tank. I have 27k hp fully buffed. First enrage i use Defletion 2nd enrage i use my adrenal then rakata med pac and have over 31k hp and use force lighting. at this hp level force lighting heals me for over 1k a tick. and if i happen to dip below half hp i use over charge saber. I'm also vocal with my healers in vent and tell them I have a Deflection up or not before each enrage so they know. But with this hp pool and healers being on the ball I can tank him with out using a cooldown if i really had to.

However, because of the different mechanics certain classes are better at certain situations. Assassin tanks can hold aoe and main agro very well. Problem is they are the most prone to being spiked by one big hit. As the "avoidance" tank your always a few unlucky rolls away from taking 2 big hits and going down, which the mitigation tanks don't have to face as an issue.

That said, assassins have lots of activateable abilities and can be more reactive than their counterparts. Probably not the best tank for the hardest single target dps bosses around, but a good choice for some content nonetheless.

Avoidance Tank delusion person detected

ROFL

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...