How Important Are Key Bindings vs Point & Click?

MichaelSean

The easiest way to learn it to have someone in game show you and go through the movements with you, the keybinds will be easy if you start trying this as soon as you create your toon. The movement is the hardest and in high skill lvl pvp the most important part. I say this bc at high skill lvl both players are going to hit the right buttons to max dps and survivability, but whoever out strafes the opponent will come out on top

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to learn is just like pulling off a bandage, do it quick.

Bind all your keys the proper way. Then start playing. You'll be confused at first, but as long as you don't go back to clicking you'll have the basics in a couple of days and within a couple of weeks it will be natural.

Alright, I'm going to give it a solid two weeks. Like I said in my initial post, starting with a brand new character in a brand new game seemed like THE ideal time. Maybe by the time I'm through the training grounds I'll look like I can actually walk and chew gum at the same time.

And thank you all for the great input! I really appreciate it.

Edited by MichaelSean

u can try the razer naga mouse if u think it will help u. google it.

as for keybinds, dont stick with the ones the game gives you.

i find that i play comfortably and quickly having these keybinds.

`123456rtfgcvb plus mouse buttons, and all these again with "shift" pressed.

maybe u should take it gradually, start with 1-to-5 and 1-to-5 with shift. and mouse thumb buttons.

then `rtf will come naturally. then the rest.

To the OP: It depends on the game. In games like DotA, HoN, or LoL, point and clicking will make you lose every time.

Since combat is slower in TOR, point and clicking is fine for casual play and you can be successful do it. However, in WoW battlegrounds, I used point and click with UI mods to make the buttons smaller. I also made a nine box square pattern and kept my clicker on the middle box for fast travel to my most important skills. It worked really well for me.

Hope this helped :D

It probably won't take you more than a few days to adjust. When I switched from keyboard turning and clicking to mouse turning and binding it felt horrible for the first few hours. But after sleeping on it overnight I was amazed at how quickly it became natural. If you do it from 1-50 while leveling it will be second nature when you hit max level. Better to do it now in content that isn't competitive than when you are trying to kill raid bosses or win PVP matches.

For competitive pvp play you will die if you don't mouse turn, regardless of your class. Guild vs Guild pvp is normally very competitive and if you're a keyboard turner they will realise very quickly. You will be the one the MDPS are having a field day with. You will never be able to hit them as they will be behind you always and they will always be able to hit you.

Anyone have the Logitech G110 keyboard? I got it specifically for MMO's like this but I haven't played an MMO since last winter. I'm just wondering if ya can use the macro keys to the left of the keyboard as a substitute for buttons like 5,6,7, etc. I remember switching from 1-9 to Q,E,R,F,T, mouse buttons, and started using macros a lot more in Wow. It made the game easier and more fun to play. I also was more effective in PVP. Give up the mouse clicking man, you will never go back.

I want to thank everyone in this thread that didn't turn into a raging jerk on the subject. I have seen a lot of threads like this go downhill fast.

Agreed. Nice work, all.

Several posters mentioned Taugrim's keybinds. He says he'll update the examples with a set for SWTOR, after further expansion of his video guides.

Good luck with your endeavor. I am an avid clicker and like you, once upon a time I too tried to enter the mysterious world of keybinds and mouse turning. While I found a few basic keybinds to be simple enough to master, I just didn't care for mouse turning. Sure, it's easy to do, but I prefer kb turning (not saying it's more effective).

Just start with a few easy to reach keys and bind them to your most used skills, and branch out from there.

That said, ranged classes can get away with clicking, but melee absolutely needs to mouse turn +key bind

Point and click can not win over someone who is equally skilled that uses binds... I have to use point and click thanks to pain in my left hand and the fact I haven't found a keyboard or keypad big enough for my hand that would be comfortable.

Some of us are just screwed its why I never really played FPS games and stuck with MMOs but, MMOs seem to be going in this direction so I chose to be at a disadvantage and comfortable.

Dont go out and buy a nostromo or anything like that until you've tried and mastered keybinds and mouseturning.

Baby steps people.

A Nostromo or Razer mouse/keyboard are great - but they are a dramatic extension of the concept that you are trying to dip your toe into here.

A Nostromo or Razer mouse/keyboard are great - but they are a dramatic extension of the concept that you are trying to dip your toe into here.

they're a waste of money

a normal keyboard and a normal mouse are all you need to bind and use every ability

they're a waste of money

a normal keyboard and a normal mouse are all you need to bind and use every ability

Ehhhhh...

Razer products are far less stressful on the hands for serious gaming - that alone makes them worth the money imo.

But yeah, their impact on actual playing is debatable :p

Some people swear by them - some are probably just attracted to the comfort, aesthetic or overpriced nature :)