Changing font size in game

KarrisThanor

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have put my resolution to 800x 600 for the game like I usually have my monitor set to so things aren't as small, and the text doesn't change based on resolution. It only makes it a little less fuzzy having at a higher resolution. I hope they change this a well, being forced to use a magnifying glass on a lot of text is taking away from my normal pace I play at, and is becoming very frustrating.

Finally a thread that I can relate to. I'm glad Im not the only one with this problem. I really enjoy playing the game but straining to read the text from what npc's say or to read a skill or sometimes even an item, really sucks. I've tried everything and nothing works. I do hope they change this and soon.

• 1 month later...
What we need is the ability to increase the text chat in the UI, not scale it up, the chat font has been fixed is thankfully but the rest needs improvement. I can't read tool tips and I've already had to quit once in because the eyestrain was so bad. Its not just the tool tips either, or the chat font, If you increase the size of your UI beyond 1, some screens get cropped to the point you can't activate certain things, like in the Map. I do not want larger Icons, I want more readable text fonts and a colorblind mode for the UI text would help too. Come on, other games have UIs that just work and look good. I will not spend money getting a huge TV just to play a game I am already paying a good amount of money to play.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, it's been something like three years since this game came out and I still can't change the miniscule font size of ability or item tooltips. People have been complaining about this the entire time and there's nothing to show for it. I've been playing on and off since beta and SWTOR is finally starting to live up to its potential, but its oversights like this that remind me why this game has the bad rep that its got. Hopefully, yelling till I'm hoarse, figuratively speaking, will get this issue bumped up the priority list.

Honestly, Bioware, this should never have been an issue in the first place. We shouldn't have to beg for a way to customize tooltip font size as that's just a basic necessity of any MMO.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Well, it's been something like three years since this game came out and I still can't change the miniscule font size of ability or item tooltips. People have been complaining about this the entire time and there's nothing to show for it. I've been playing on and off since beta and SWTOR is finally starting to live up to its potential, but its oversights like this that remind me why this game has the bad rep that its got. Hopefully, yelling till I'm hoarse, figuratively speaking, will get this issue bumped up the priority list.

Honestly, Bioware, this should never have been an issue in the first place. We shouldn't have to beg for a way to customize tooltip font size as that's just a basic necessity of any MMO.

I have to agree here. I'm not as young as I used to be but I'm not so old that I should have trouble reading the text in a video game. My screen is a decent 32" and I can't read the text! I feel like my grandma trying to play SWTOR! This isn't right. It's not as if people with good vision can read it and those that need glasses struggle. No one can see it that good and certainly not for the hours of game play bioware should want us to commit to it. I remember when I played WOW years ago before SWTOR came out they had the option to change font sizes and colors. This is like buying a new car that only has am/fm radio! Hello we have the technology! This should be a standard feature.

the chat window has font setting up to 32 default=14

options -interface editor-> Global scale and all of those windows have their own scaling up to +25%

Is there a need for higher font setting then 32? That looks huge to me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I am 18 and i have no trouble seeing things on a small smart phone screen, but the text in game makes my eyes hurt.

I cant even see the name of an ability under its cast bar.

I support changing font size.

Glad to know its not just me, I have a magnifying glass I use to read the script, crazy... all this technology and software and I can't find a way to change the size of the font... really makes playing the game difficult at times.

• 3 months later...
I just came back to the game for the expansions, and with my visual impairment, I can't figure out how I EVER played this game. I was here at day one, but this is ridiculous. The lack of accessibility settings is appalling, and that this hasn't been fixed for 4 frigging years is really upsetting. Get it together, BioWare. Make it so we can read what you've written.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the tool tips do not scale properly using the UI. You gotta press ctrl - u twice to reload the UI. After this the tool tip UIs match the global UI settings properly.

The only major issue with scaling is the map sizing. The map size appears to be hard coded for standard UI scaling. If you increase your screen scale the map and secondary UI elements will become too large to fit on the screen. So for people trying to play on a TV it is possible to get everything looking ok but then the map and some secondary UI panels no longer fit on the screen and are two large.

Looks like this problem has existed since the scaling UI came out. So not sure they will ever fix it.

Edited by R-Niner

• 1 month later...
I'm Using a 50" Led Tv, sitting about 8 feet away, I found under Interface Editer in the Main Hud Options, there is a Orange square under the minimap that says large tooltip, if you click that, you can increase its size, couple that with increasing global ui scale a few points, it fixed it for me.