Please Eliminate Backfill

foxmob

The search function on this board sucks, so once again...

when people leave WZs, almost always because their team is in a bad situation for one reason or another, another person who had absolutely NOTHING to do with the poor performance of the initial team is now thrust into said situation. more often than not, the new person leaves. then two more ppl leave, and two more ppl back fill only to leave when they realized they've been drafted blindly into an in-progress, losing WZ.

hey, I get it. sometimes you come in and turn the tide. sometimes a person on the winning team dc's and you get a free win. let's be honest, those are the rare occasions. the scenario described in the first paragraph is what occurs the VAST MAJORITY OF THE TIME. this hurts the back fillers, either because they're cheated out of a fighting chance in a new wz or because they're sent to the end of the queue if they drop when they realized that they're back fill. this hurts the original teammates that don't leave the WZ because a) they are perpetually playing 1 or more men short while waiting for the back fills to arrive, drop, arrive, drop, etc. and b) instead of getting out of the WZ honorably by having it simply end due to lack of forces, they get the privileged of getting pounded on and sunk into a deeper hole. the only motivations NOT to drop are stubborn pride and the desire to spare an innocent back filler the agony that you're dealing with.

Dear BW and PvP community: you will NEVER eliminate quitters. People will ALWAYS quit. Holding out for back fill wastes more people's time and frustrates more players than it helps.

Please look at your server. If your PvP population is good, please petition to remove back fill from it. I realize that some oceanic servers are suffering from sparse populations and would rather keep unbalanced WZs open. But I assure you, that is not the case with the healthy PVE and PVP servers state side. Please, eliminate back fill. Let the WZs end rather than perpetuate a constant cycle of drop, refill, drop, refill, drop drop, etc.

• Dev Post

We have seen how bad backfill can be, loading into a game just to have it end 30s later is a major bummer so we are looking at ways we can make this system more efficient. Most likely we will set a point during each Warzone when it will no longer backfill, based on time remaining and/or a score differential between the teams.

Backfill won't be eliminated outright because it does serve a valuable purpose, we just want to make it better.

In addition, we also looking into (but no promises) the idea that we grant a medal for backfilling into a game that is in progress, to help make sure those backfillers don't miss out on rewards by not having enough time to get a medal on their own.

Cheers! :jawa_biggrin:

We have seen how bad backfill can be, loading into a game just to have it end 30s later is a major bummer so we are looking at ways we can make this system more efficient. Most likely we will set a point during each Warzone when it will no longer backfill, based on time remaining and/or a score differential between the teams.

Backfill won't be eliminated outright because it does serve a valuable purpose, we just want to make it better.

In addition, we also looking into (but no promises) the idea that we grant a medal for backfilling into a game that is in progress, to help make sure those backfillers don't miss out on rewards by not having enough time to get a medal on their own.

Thank you for the post.

As simpel as this, if you want players to have a reason to stay get that medal in.If i join late and i see there is no hope for reward i'm gone,so is everyone else.

That last part shows that this was not just a random post to please the masses, but you actually have read some suggestions.

Thank you

That last part shows that this was not just a random post to please the masses, but you actually have read some suggestions.

Thank you

It only took about 2 years, from ignoring all the beta comments and reports and then ignoring all the subscribers.

Agreed about not canning it outright, and accounting for timing or other variables. I'm glad you guys are looking at this.

Medal = great idea. Not sure how reward would be scaled but the concept sounds good.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I am in complete shock to see Dev posts, and this frequent. Its a pleasant surprise, so be all means please continue it.

Please for the love of all that is good give us that backfill medal. As frustrating as backfilling into a warzone with about a minute left to try to medal is, NOTHING is worse than loading in to find the defeat screen pop up as soon as you're done with the loading screen.

And unfortunately that is not an unheard-of occurrence. A couple of days ago I had back-to-back backfill warzones; the first I had a minute left to try to get a medal (on a new, then-level 12 alt--didn't work), and the next I loaded straight into defeat screen. So that was not just one but two consecutive warzones where I received nothing for the time I wasted on those loading screens and the queue spots I gave up.

I agree with the ideas in the dev post. However, I have another suggestion to improve backfilling:

Please consider granting players a one hour buff if they backfill and complete a match. The buff guarantees them a spot as one of the original 16 players of their next warzone. Backfilling multiple times in a row can be frustrating. And this will give people an incentive to play out the match they were backfilled into.

Edit: I simply cannot fathom an argument for *not* granting a backfill medal. Another idea is to transfer all the medals from the person you backfill to you. If that guy had zero medals, you get a free one.

Edited by LarryRow

I believe this is called Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth.

Gratitude much?

you ever heard the fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me saying?

yeah. it applies here.

they ignored good pvp input all through beta, until now, and what? we are supposed to cyber fellate them for finally doing something about it?

I do appreciate that things are being read and considered. finally. But dont expect people to forget the 2 years plus of ignoring pvp issues.

I love joining late warzones purely because im working on gearing my alts up at the moment, you can easily obtain enough medals in less than 1 minute to get maximum commendation gain. I joined a hypergate game earlier and literaly in about 40 seconds I got 2k + 5k protection medal, 2.5k hit and a killing blow medal and got 80 or 85 commendations for it. I've played full games with way more medals and got 70 medals.

(both above examples are of losses aswell)

The annoying thing is when you join a game and by the time the screen loads it's on scoreboard.

Backfill really takes its toll on Tuesday when people exit when they start losing to try to get their weekly done very quickly. I would even go so far as to make a penalty for 3 quits in a row or 30 minute penalty after quitting three times in a hour, something like that just to slow you down if you are only quitting to try to speed up your weekly. I like the backfill medal and the no backfill two games in a row idea as well. I believe last Tuesday i backfilled 4 games in a row, 2 of which were huttball down by 4 goals.

Awesome Alex!!! Love the medal idea.

you ever heard the fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me saying?

yeah. it applies here.

they ignored good pvp input all through beta, until now, and what? we are supposed to cyber fellate them for finally doing something about it?

I do appreciate that things are being read and considered. finally. But dont expect people to forget the 2 years plus of ignoring pvp issues.

Nobody is forgetting it. That doesn't mean we need to rip on them when they finally do show they're around. Alex has been a new name around here this week...I appreciate him posting.

I love joining late warzones purely because im working on gearing my alts up at the moment, you can easily obtain enough medals in less than 1 minute to get maximum commendation gain. I joined a hypergate game earlier and literaly in about 40 seconds I got 2k + 5k protection medal, 2.5k hit and a killing blow medal and got 80 or 85 commendations for it. I've played full games with way more medals and got 70 medals.

(both above examples are of losses aswell)

The annoying thing is when you join a game and by the time the screen loads it's on scoreboard.

Yeah, tank classes have it easy when they can pop one AOE taunt and instantly get a guaranteed medal and lock in some kind of reward.

Try being a level 12 operative zoning in with a minute left to play, half of it spent behind the doorstun...if you don't get a lucky crit somewhere, you won't get a medal in that short a time. Maybe killing blow if someone is really low on health and your own team doesn't kill-steal, but chances are if you're backfilling that late your team is scrubs anyway and none of the enemy players will be that low.

Which is why the backfill medal is such a good idea.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the lowbie daily is so short that it's already done by the time you get a backfill match 99% of the time (and even during the rare exception, often we're interested in staying on our lowbies to level them), so "oh it helps me get a quick daily" doesn't apply.

Edited by AdrianDmitruk

The search function on this board sucks, so once again...

when people leave WZs, almost always because their team is in a bad situation for one reason or another, another person who had absolutely NOTHING to do with the poor performance of the initial team is now thrust into said situation. more often than not, the new person leaves. then two more ppl leave, and two more ppl back fill only to leave when they realized they've been drafted blindly into an in-progress, losing WZ.

hey, I get it. sometimes you come in and turn the tide. sometimes a person on the winning team dc's and you get a free win. let's be honest, those are the rare occasions. the scenario described in the first paragraph is what occurs the VAST MAJORITY OF THE TIME. this hurts the back fillers, either because they're cheated out of a fighting chance in a new wz or because they're sent to the end of the queue if they drop when they realized that they're back fill. this hurts the original teammates that don't leave the WZ because a) they are perpetually playing 1 or more men short while waiting for the back fills to arrive, drop, arrive, drop, etc. and b) instead of getting out of the WZ honorably by having it simply end due to lack of forces, they get the privileged of getting pounded on and sunk into a deeper hole. the only motivations NOT to drop are stubborn pride and the desire to spare an innocent back filler the agony that you're dealing with.

Dear BW and PvP community: you will NEVER eliminate quitters. People will ALWAYS quit. Holding out for back fill wastes more people's time and frustrates more players than it helps.

Please look at your server. If your PvP population is good, please petition to remove back fill from it. I realize that some oceanic servers are suffering from sparse populations and would rather keep unbalanced WZs open. But I assure you, that is not the case with the healthy PVE and PVP servers state side. Please, eliminate back fill. Let the WZs end rather than perpetuate a constant cycle of drop, refill, drop, refill, drop drop, etc.

agreed i refuse to backfill an ongoing match, i usually leave i prefer a fresh match bewcak back filling a match does not give me any rewards for my effort / wasted time.

I personally love getting into an almost-over warzone, at least at a point when it's still possible to get that single medal for rewards. Even if not, it still counts towards the daily quest, and if you get in really late you don't even have to sit through all the frustration and chat drama ;)

I personally love getting into an almost-over warzone, at least at a point when it's still possible to get that single medal for rewards. Even if not, it still counts towards the daily quest, and if you get in really late you don't even have to sit through all the frustration and chat drama ;)

And if you've already done the daily, you get literally nothing for wasting your time...

Give us that backfill medal already.