Free-to-Play Preview #1

CourtneyWoods

Today we are excited to release our first episode of the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Free-to-Play Insider Preview. This new video series is your window into the latest news and information on the new Free-to-Play option coming to The Old Republic™ this Fall. The first video provides insight into the features offered to Free-to-Play players and Subscribers. Take a first look at the new Cartel Market as well as get answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the Free-to-Play option. Check out the video and let us know what you think – we’ll be watching for your feedback in the forums, online and on Facebook.

Watch now

Edited by CourtneyWoods

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. But as a paying subscriber, why are you giving the F2p people only 3 Warzones per week???????? This shouldn't even be on the table, either unlimited or a high number, I want these people to increase the number of Warzones running on the servers especially in off peek, 3 Warzones is nothing, it's just nothing, what if they get in a Warzone that has 1 minute left. End of story that number most rise or the whole of the Internet will lash out on swtor again.

You just have to increase that number. If you want to give the a taste.

Looks good. But as a paying subscriber, why are you giving the F2p people only 3 Warzones per week???????? This shouldn't even be on the table, either unlimited or a high number, I want these people to increase the number of Warzones running on the servers especially in off peek, 3 Warzones is nothing, it's just nothing, what if they get in a Warzone that has 1 minute left. End of story that number most rise or the whole of the Internet will lash out on swtor again.

You just have to increase that number. If you want to give the a taste.

Should the weekly warzone pass cost just about a dollar, I think it would be good enough.

I am so getting a pink longspur sportster, my little sage'ess will look awesome on that.

Did I see sales in the cartel shop? Looked like the carbonized chamber had a 50 % discount in the picture. Sales would be sweet.

I'm a a tad worried about the saldo in the same pic though, the person had 16K points. Does that mean that things will cost several thousand?

Content packs look good. It's something I'm familiar with from other games.

Edited by MidichIorian

What was originally said by swtor is that F2P till 50, subscribers new Planet and higher level cap. In this video subscribers are still 50. The margin between F2P and Subscribers grows shorter the longer this idea is in production, the rush of the production is my guess as to why the margin is being shortened. I think it is a bad misconception on Bioware's end to believe the F2P should take higher priority over the new planet and lvl cap for subscribers. The release should be the same as to not lose more customers so that the subscribing community doesn't feel that Bioware is putting them on back burner. Good way to lose more subscribers......

16,426 cartel coins?

Will it be very expensive store?

I paused the video and by the looks of it prices are still to be determined. That being said as subscribers we should be able to purchase at least a couple items a month from our 150 CC salary. That being said one would think the price ranges would be anywhere from 50-100 CC per item depending on the item. That is just using other F2P games as an example though. I'd like to see subscribers getting a nice % off the amount an item costs. Let's say F2P players have to spend 100 CC on an item, but Subs pay 75% that or something. If Bioware wants the F2P and Subscriber system to work together well, they will need to keep the subscriber happy in such a way.

Edited by Korvus_Starlight

Yeah the real question here is exactly how much one cartel coin is worth. It's a bit worrying to see a balance of 16,426 coins when as a CE subscriber from early access I'm banking on getting 2500 coins.

This is pure speculation but looking at the video I can see that the costs appear to have been blurred in the window rather than actually removed, also looking at the blur of the Carbonite Chamber which is featuring on the right I can see that there are 3 lumps at the bottom which suggests that the Carbonite chambers price is in three figures on what ever server they're testing on atm.

Obviously this could be wrong, and just as obviously this could well change before launch, but a three figure price for a single item certainly sounds about what I'd expect.

Only other thing of interest is the option to buy XP... not massively keen on that as an idea as it has the potential to flood the FP and Ops level of play with inexperienced rich kids...

Also, three warzones per week is a terrible idea. Three warzones per day would work, but three per week?

I'm not going to sit here and call anybody stupid, but exerting a bit more brainpower would be a definite plus...

I mean there isn't even any matchmaking in PvP, so you're going to let f2p players looking to see if they like the game or not play a mere 3 matches (which due to the lack of matchmaking will most likely be terrible ones) and have them walk away with a bad taste in their mouths?

Come now guys, you've shown in the past that you are incredibly bright individuals, I've come to expect a little bit better than this from Bioware.

Btw I have something in my mind that haunts me: i'm a subscriber now so I can access lot of things (btw I really think I'm going to create that new pureblood sith warrior I had in mind in very short time) like (quite) all the species, in-game credits payed inventory expansions, 3 crew skills and other things.

What will happen to what I already have IF i choose not to be a subscriber anymore? My main has 3 crew skills at 400 but f2p players can only have 1 crew skill, so my question is: what happen to the other 2 if I become a f2p player? The same question applies to everything else I have NOW as a subscriber and I'm using NOW.

I'd like to know more about it 'cause it'll be REALLY disappointing to lose everything (I mean DELETED) 'cause I choosed to become a F2P. I could understand a lock on features F2P players are not supposed to have but I won't like it because I've already payed something. I mean, as a former subscriber I think I should have access to everything I could have until the end of my subscription.

Let's say that someday every character can have 4 crew skills. When I was a subscriber the game only allowed 3 cw so 3 are the cw I should have. Now I'm a F2P player and Bioware decides that cw can be 4 BUT only for subscribers. So it's ok that I should buy the 4th skill on the cartel market OR subscribe again and gain that new feature "free" even when my new subscription will end. I hope it's clear what I mean and I'd like to have answers about this topic :D

Edited by RickyBOL

Also, three warzones per week is a terrible idea. Three warzones per day would work, but three per week?

I'm not going to sit here and call anybody stupid, but exerting a bit more brainpower would be a definite plus...

I mean there isn't even any matchmaking in PvP, so you're going to let f2p players looking to see if they like the game or not play a mere 3 matches (which due to the lack of matchmaking will most likely be terrible ones) and have them walk away with a bad taste in their mouths?

Come now guys, you've shown in the past that you are incredibly bright individuals, I've come to expect a little bit better than this from Bioware.

I totally agree with the above.

I think it would be better if BW decide to let the f2p have unlimited wz but limit or restrict the RWZ (ranked wz) exclusively to subscribers. After all, being on a rwz premade guild and casually doing wz for weekly is amazing (when grouped with the right people) and having only 3wz a week is just something that will leave the players with a bad experience.

I personally have no desire to play without a sub, but I feel compelled to suggest one major guideline that any F2P mmo needs to follow.

F2P should not be used as a model to force players to subscribe in order to enjoy a full experience. It needs to be a model that allows paid access to all features without a sub, as long as you are willing to purchase access to those features. It needs to be viable to play without a sub on the same level as with a subscription, even if playing without a sub would end up costing much more than subscribing.

As an example, weekly limits for warzones are fine as long as you can purchase access to more warzones each week without subscribing. If players feel forced to subscribe to feel like the are able to compete with subscribers they will not stick around, and there are quite a few players I've met on other games who are happy to pay to play a game they enjoy, but they do not believe in subscribing to any game.

Today we are excited to release our first episode of the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Free-to-Play Insider Preview. This new video series is your window into the latest news and information on the new Free-to-Play option coming to The Old Republic™ this Fall. The first video provides insight into the features offered to Free-to-Play players and Subscribers. Take a first look at the new Cartel Market as well as get answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the Free-to-Play option. Check out the video and let us know what you think – we’ll be watching for your feedback in the forums, online and on Facebook.

Watch now

Could someone from the community team please address the issues in this thread? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=544557 In particular the issue that I private messaged you about.

Thanks.

F2P needs to be worth the value that is the only thing I'm worried about. While the sub is 15 dollars a month I imagine few people use all the content. If things are fairly priced to where I can select my preferred play style than I won't mind so much.

I primarily pvp but if it costs 5 bucks a week or something just to unlock pvp then what is the point of supposedly giving players a choice about there playstyle. All of these previews and teasers are all just pointless fluff until Bioware gives specific details about payment options and how much all of this stuff will actually cost.

F2P models are not free, the basic service is so crippling to gameplay that people will spend something just to have greater convenience or experiment. I'm most worried that the A la carte options as they are will be priced poorly and the subscription model isn't worth the price either so people may just drop the game all together.

As a subscriber, I'm concerned that there will be more items in the Cartel Market that I will want to purchase than Bioware will give me coins to buy items. Will subscription players be able to use in-game currency to buy Cartel coins? As a in-game item collector, having to make additional real life purchases was the big reason I left my last MMO. Will this be the case in free-to-play?