Lethality vs. Engineering vs. MM for PvE Ops

Rischardo

I would say its interesting that you have 12.8% accuracy over the extra surge.

Yes that's clearly a mistake. I dropped accuracy for surge and the DPS went up, then I dropped accuracy for surge again and DPS went up a little more (which is surprising considering how badly surge scales at that level). Then I checked crit and found that I needed more for my newly improved surge, so that's up as well.

Fixed the profile.

Surge 399

Alacrity 0

Accuracy 171

Crit 369

Edited by acnoj

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I personally think that you cannot compare the specs, no matter the venue (Flash Point, War zone, or Operation) because they are built so differently.

1. Marksmanship-This is designed around the use of the rifle and nothing else, direct damage. Think WoW's rogue combat spec
  2. Engineering-Probes and AoE, for damage. Think WoW Demonology Warlocks
  3. Lethality-Poisons and essentially DoT, Think Assassin spec WoW rogue
    Just my opinion though.

personally i just wish bioware would release all the combat information (spell scaling and stuff like that) so we can just fully mathematically prove which spec is the best.

now i personally play with lethality in raids atm. i raided a long time with engineering aswell and a relatively short time with mms.

also tested the dps of engineering and lethality extensively on the ops dummy. i personally hate lethality's playstyle (so boring and.... well boring... xD) and i absolutely love mms and engineering.

the problem why i skip mms for ops is that its movability is crap. and the majority of fights require you to move alot so yeah.

now the difference in dps between engineering and lethality isnt always so big. it really depends on how you play with it. i generally have different playstyles depending on the fight and its phases.

i have the 'normal' rotation. just going through regular rotation without OS or any other long term cooldowns (adrenaline probe, stims etc) because i either have to save it for a certain part of the fight or its to long to cast/mobs move out anyway etc. the difference in this 'normal' rotation between the dps of engineering and lethality is quite huge. (~150dps) however if i am going 'all out'' which means i'm able to use all the long cooldowns engineering can really pull up close to lethality. (~40dps difference) due to energy probe once every minute i can actually ignore the energy regen and skip rifle shots and go through my rotation faster and using a couple of fillers. thus buffing my dps.

problem is in boss fights you generally have to keep these ability's for certain phases and the plasma probe is quite a big part of our dps and even tho it does most of its damage in the first vew seconds. its quite rare that it will stay on the boss for the full duration (due to boss moving and whatnot) and what i suggest is that they'd change plasma probe. something like that instead of plasma probe hitting 5 targets it hits 4 targets and if you use plasma probe while interrogation probe is active on a target that interrogation probe gets buffed and does same amount of elemental damage on the target over the same amount of time. (now the person with the interrogation probe on him cant be hit by plasma probe. otherwise it would be rather OP) so that wouldnt be a problem anymore. and plasma probe can pretty much screw you over on some bosses (2nd and 3rd boss in tfb hm for example. buffing the dps/healing on second boss. and accidentally pulling those orbs on the 3rd boss.

• 3 months later...
I have a sniper and I am using Lethality I have see people here say you are getting 1900 dps I want to know what sort of gear you have and your rotation if at all possible. as I am in Rakata that has campaign armoring and are getting on my last mox 1275. If anyone can help please do.

Im in almost full rakata and im only hitting 1200-1100 but i know its because my gear is not 61lvl so im not worried. Im sure when im at least full BH or Camp ill be hitting much higher (im also Leth if you habent figured it out XD). In Ops your rotation should be close to this:

CDart>CNade>ShatterShot>WBlast>Cull>TargetAcquired/EnergyProbe>SeriesofShots/OrbitalStrike>Cull....

Use RifleShot if you want to regen just abit of energy but dont fire off 4 at a time. You can use Ambush > SoS if you want but definitely use OS on cooldowns. IMO the most important thing is to keep the SS debuff up and reapply dots when they are gone.

I have a sniper and I am using Lethality I have see people here say you are getting 1900 dps I want to know what sort of gear you have and your rotation if at all possible. as I am in Rakata that has campaign armoring and are getting on my last mox 1275. If anyone can help please do.

Mines in rakata with some campaign armorings, I recently switched to a leth/eng hybrid and can now hit 1500 on the ops dummy where as pure lethality was 1200 before and MM even lower.

Rotation I use for the hybrid is explosive probe (opener) > Interrogation probe > Corrosive grenade > Corrosive dart > Cull> Series of shots then a filler (either rifle shot/Orbital strike/snipe/ambush or shatter shot if it's not up) Cull again before the DoTs wear out then start from beginning or from the interrogation probe.

Thing you might notice is if you follow that as written out you'll run out of energy quickly, so every two abilities or so I add a rifle shot in between for sustained energy and less RS when I require burst.

I highly recommend the hybrid spec over the pure lethality tree (the talent build should be posted on this forum somewhere it's where I found it).

Regardless of spec, what I've found is that the common errors Snipers make are:

1. Poor Energy management, you regenerate extremely slow at below 60% energy. Know how much each skill use and plan for it. Adrenaline probe is great, but it won't save you from 20-30 or less energy.

2. Fillers and general skill priority. Rotations are only a guideline, eventually you'll get a feel for what to use between your base line rotation. Typical fillers: Orbital, ExProbe, CorrDart, SoS/Ambush in no particular order.

3. Movement will ruin your rotation, try to plan for it. Drop Orbital before a movement phase, use instants on the move.

4. Watch your energy!

Also, just by knowing a fight well you can increase your dps by hundreds of points :)

Any comments on the three dot + cull without wb hybrid speccs? Would love a similar checkup on that specc that is updated to the list in the first post.

You do use 3 dots in lethality/engineering, but only CD and CG increase the amount of cull damage. Interrogation probe is there for filler. Lethality/engineering does parse higher on operations dummies and once mastered, it will out damage any other spec in just about every boss fight. However, it is a little more of a learning curve than pure lethality, which is good balance. I like being rewarded with higher damage for playing a more difficult spec. It really isn't like that for most classes.

• 3 weeks later...
Mines in rakata with some campaign armorings, I recently switched to a leth/eng hybrid and can now hit 1500 on the ops dummy where as pure lethality was 1200 before and MM even lower.

Rotation I use for the hybrid is explosive probe (opener) > Interrogation probe > Corrosive grenade > Corrosive dart > Cull> Series of shots then a filler (either rifle shot/Orbital strike/snipe/ambush or shatter shot if it's not up) Cull again before the DoTs wear out then start from beginning or from the interrogation probe.

Thing you might notice is if you follow that as written out you'll run out of energy quickly, so every two abilities or so I add a rifle shot in between for sustained energy and less RS when I require burst.

I highly recommend the hybrid spec over the pure lethality tree (the talent build should be posted on this forum somewhere it's where I found it).

Hit 50 last night, tried most spec on the dummy. Still most unaugmented (some have level 40 power aug) in tionese, slapped a 63 barrel on the sniper, and a WH offhand.

Result:

Full lethality : 1350 dps

MM : 1220ish

So full rakata and barely hitting 1200 sounds like a rotation issue or a gear one (mods etc).