PvP Guide – Gearing up, medals and commendations

Bytesin

Is there a cap on WZ commendations?

Would any one recommend buying the BM gear and saving it in the bank until hitting 50? For reference, I'm currently lvl 29, if it affects the decision.

Really would like to see this info in the guide. I haven't hit 50 since before 1.2 -- back when you would max out WZ and Merc commendations and buy one BM bag before 50. Would be a big help if you could outline what a pre-50 can do in order to prepare gear-wise for 50 WZs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the above, you cannot buy battlemaster gear before hitting level 50. Therefore in my opinion...

The best way to prepare for wz's at 50 is to grind commendations from the time you hit lvl 40 until you max both regular and rated commendations (thru the 30 reg to 10 rated at the vendor). You must be valor lvl 40 to transfer the regular to rated. The reg comm cap is 2000, and the rated cap is 3500. This means you have to earn 12,500 regular commendations from lvl 40 to lvl 50.

In practice this is quite a boring slog, as it will take 125 warzones @ 100 commendations each to reach the caps. However based on your class it can be very rewarding. If you are a dual-wielding class, you can purchase a war hero main-hand after stripping the mods out of the bm one that you have to buy first. Then place the bm mods into an empty offhand shell. This not only relieves you of the major grind for your warhero weapon, you get the offhand as well. for other classes you can simply purchase a wh item of your choice and strip the mod and enhancement out of the bm you are turning in. These coupled with a lvl 50 purple armoring in any orange shell will give you a decent second piece of pvp gear. Sprinkle in enough recruit gear for 600-700 expertise ( the relics, implants and earpiece are a GREAT buys), and you'll be fully kitted out in bm quickly.

Edited by Catharian

Hey guys sorry if this was asked.

What if I switched my specs, there for switching what Gear Set I want. Right now I have about half my Battlemaster set and I'm getting ready to go to War Hero? Do I have to have the exact set piece type to trade in, or as long as its a battlemaster leg piece it will let me trade for War Hero.

Example trading in Battlemaster Combat Tech Legs (plus required badges) to get the War Hero Super Commando Legs?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is it possible to craft a battlemaster gear and then exchange it for War Hero gear (together with ranked commendations)? You could probably save a bit more commendations by this and purchase gear more early.

I posted this on my guild forums and thought it may be helpful for other soon-to-be 50s...

With several people rolling alts lately and some about to hit 50 for the first time I thought I'd put together a short template for quick PvP gearing. If you plan to do a fair amount of PvP I HIGHLY recommend doing sub 50 PvP to bank up some comms. Ideally you'll have 3500 Ranked Warzone Comms(RWZC) and 2000 Warzone Comms(WZC) saved up by the time you hit 50. You can start buying RWZ at valor rank 40, so if you pvp as you level that would mean when you hit level 40 since valor is capped at your current level prior to 50.

When you hit 50, first buy two War Hero Implants and a BM mainhand weapon with your saved comms. The implants are generally the biggest bang for your buck since you don't need the BM piece for them first and the BM main hand will give you a large boost off the bat as well. Fill in EVERY remaining slot with recruit gear. Make sure you get the mission from the PvP terminal that grants you Recruit gear. Since you purchased a few pieces of BM and WH gear, you'll be better to get the token and sell it, then use that money to purchase the necessary recruit pieces. This will leave you with 650 RWZC and 50 WZC. At this point, you'll just save the 650 RWZC for a while and start focussing on BM pieces.

Your next purchase should be a pvp color crystal from the pvp items vendor. If you complete your pvp daily your first day at 50 you should be able to buy this. It's only 500(or 550 can't remember) WZC which you should get between the games you need to play for the daily and the reward. At this point, you will already have over 1000 Expertise in just your first day at 50! Here is an example of what a DPS shadow would look like after taking this path: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/abc558fd-7dcb-419d-8df6-0b7bd5ff9084

After that first day you'll want to start focussing on getting your BM pieces. I personally recommend buying the cheaper pieces first. This allows you to start boosting your stats quicker which will make you competitive more quickly. If you go this route you will purchase: Bracers>Belt>Boots>Gloves>Legs>Head>Chest>Offhand. Notice I skipped Earpiece and Relics. Those are best to keep as recruit until you can buy War Hero versions since the WH doesn't require BM to purchase. Buying the BM version is inefficient use of comms.

After you have a full BM set, buy your WH Earpiece and Relics and then start at the cheapest and work your way up again... Bracers>Belt>Boots>Gloves>Legs>Head>Chest>Offhand>Mainhand

After ALL of that you can start chasing BiS mods and enhancments from other classes War Hero gear

lol dont be cheap? wow and here i thought i was getting my credits up with 5,700.... as a "fresh" tor player, and even more fresh wz player, i think its safe to say that my PVE gear is all i can afford atm, thanks.

Thanks for the info.Also I found out you can't get valor level above your normal level.I fairly new at PVP so it was a bit of a surprise.I deleted one of my older chrs to try doing mainly PVP with Legacy perks to see how it would work out.It has been fun so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Is it possible to craft a battlemaster gear and then exchange it for War Hero gear (together with ranked commendations)? You could probably save a bit more commendations by this and purchase gear more early.

I would like to know this as well. Also, it was mentioned that you can remove the mods from the BM gear before you trade it in for the WH piece, but is this what most people are doing, is it worth keeping the BM mods seeing as you are getting lvl 61 mods in the WH gear?

I would like to know this as well. Also, it was mentioned that you can remove the mods from the BM gear before you trade it in for the WH piece, but is this what most people are doing, is it worth keeping the BM mods seeing as you are getting lvl 61 mods in the WH gear?

The only gear you can trade in for WH is the Purple BM you got from the vendor, not the orange stuff people craft. That is just for aesthetics. In other words, they make you grind and buy the BM before you can buy the WH.

Yes you CAN remove mods and enhancements from the BM gear before turning it in. At the end of the day, those mods are still better than what you may find on the GTN, and people like to throw them in the "exalted" orange bracers/belts to min/max certain stats like power etc.

Edited by criminalheretic

• 1 month later...
Really would like to see this info in the guide. I haven't hit 50 since before 1.2 -- back when you would max out WZ and Merc commendations and buy one BM bag before 50. Would be a big help if you could outline what a pre-50 can do in order to prepare gear-wise for 50 WZs.

I agree. My only PvP experience is World PvP while PvEing. I have rolled a new character to explore this aspect of the game. But most of the advice I see posted is what to do at Level 50, or maybe 40.

I'd like to see a guide similar to a crafting leveling guide that explains: Level 10 - 19 do this. Tips and secrets to success at this level are: teamwork, medpacs, stims, etc. Level 20 - 40: Same as above but play more Huttball instead of Civil War, etc. If any of that matters.

As a complete PvP noob, where do I start at level 10? What do I need to know to be successful? What do I need to do to be great when I get to Level 50?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

little off topic, just wondering if anyone else thinks its a good idea to possible earn social points for pvp. maybe it could be half what you get from fp, just a few points for pvp would be nice.

very nice guide btw great info to know!!

Great Idea then u can get social while having fun pvping and not just Bt/esseles like 100 times!

• 4 weeks later...

:rak_03:Crafting recipes should be able to e bought so we can better our gear from battle master.

Should have some soicial points may be 2 or some low number for playing in wz. Ranking only team play leaves so many of us out of the better gear.if you are going to have ranked teams make them fight them selfs. I to play pvp but hate the way you rank only those that group.Our rank should be based on how much we play in wz or in world pvp areas not on if we are in a team. Where is the solo que for ranked wz. Please fix the pvp so that all the players I know that no longer play will come back. Also not everyone likes un fair pvp most of us just want a chance to compeat with equal gear.:rak_04:

• 1 month later...

PvP Guide – Gearing up, medals and commendations

Since Ranked Warzones are finally here, I figure the new players and some old ones, could use some help regarding gearing up, getting ranked warzone commendations, medals etc.

Most of the info used here is from:

http://www.oldrepublic.net/470-how-get-war-hero-battlemaster-pvp-gear-ranked-warzone-commendations.html

http://www.oldrepublic.net/304-pvp-valor-ranks-medals-titles-list.html

For more details and screenshots check the original articles.

I’ve noticed that in Warzones a lot of new players, and even old PvE players are not getting the Recruit suit and instead, they are coming with pve gear. Well … that’s the worst way to do it – even if you wear Rakata gear, Recruit is a lot better due to Expertise, which is the most important stat in PvP. Don’t be cheap and buy it, it’s worth the money.

Here are the prices for the Recruit gear:

Wrist – 20500 Credits

Waist – 20500 Credits

Boots – 26200 Credits

Ear – 17000 Credits

Implant – 17000 Credits

Hands – 26200 Credits

Head – 31700 Credits

Chest – 31700 Credits

Main-Hand – 38700 Credits

Off-hand – 19300 Credits

Legs – 31700 Credits

Champion Relics – 11300 Credits

So, to get full Recruit gear (including 2 Relics) it will cost you only 320000 Credits and provide you with approximately 900 Expertise which is more than decent for a fresh PvPer. Also lvl 50 players will get a new one-time PvP mission (New technology) available at the Mission Terminal on the Imperial and Republic fleets located in the Combat Training Quarter. This mission will allow you to choose between the following rewards: Recruit Gear Box (a complete Recruit set based on your AC) or a Recruit Credit Redemption Token, which can be sold at the vendor for 320000 credits (the cost of a full Recruit set).

After getting the Recruit gear, you are ready to do some Warzones and get Commendations for the Battlemaster gear. You can’t skip this tier if you want to go further and get the War Hero set.

Warzone Commendations (these can be obtained by playing normal Warzones) are needed in order to buy Battlemaster items.

Let’s take a look over the Battlemaster gear prices:

Wrist – 550 Warzone Commendations

Waist – 625 Warzone Commendations

Boots – 875 Warzone Commendations

Ear – 625 Warzone Commendations

Implant- 625 Warzone Commendations

Hands – 875 Warzone Commendations

Head – 1075 Warzone Commendations

Chest – 1425 Warzone Commendations

Main-Hand – 1550 Warzone Commendations

Off-Hand – 1550 Warzone Commendations

Legs - 975 Warzone Commendations

War Hero gear and Ranked Warzone Commendations

The next step is the War Hero gear. Players can buy it with Ranked Warzone Commendation + the equivalent Battlemaster item. For a full list of War Hero and Ranked War Hero gear costs please check this article: http://www.oldrepublic.net/470-how-get-war-hero-battlemaster-pvp-gear-ranked-warzone-commendations.html

Note: When buying a piece of War Hero gear players must have the equivalent Battlemaster item in the inventory (not equipped). Only the empty shell is needed (you can get the mods off from the item and you should still be able to trade it for War Hero gear).

Ranked Warzone Commendations can be obtained by doing Ranked Warzones or the PvP Daily and Weekly missions. Also players will be able to trade 30 Warzone Commendations for 10 Ranked Warzone Commendations, but Valor Rank 40 is required. More details about this can be found in the link above.

Note: Valor Rank is the system implemented by Bioware as a method for distributing PvP rewards and titles (such as crafted Battlemaster / War Hero / Rated War Hero gear, Longspur Recon mount. etc). Valor XP can be obtained by doing Warzones and Open World PvP.

Crafted Battlemaster and War Hero gear

This gear can be made by Synthweaving and Amormech. The gear has no mods on it, basically it’s just the empty shell.

However, to equip this crafted gear, players have to obtain a certain Valor Rank (Rank 60 for Battlemaster, Rank 70 for War Hero, while the Rated War Hero also requires Warzone Rating).

Also, augment slots can be added on any gear now. Bonus sets can be transfered on them but only from the new items added in Game Update 1.2 or later, such as War Hero set.

For some screenshots please check the original article: http://www.oldrepublic.net/470-how-get-war-hero-battlemaster-pvp-gear-ranked-warzone-commendations.html

Medals and Titles

Completing some achievements during a Warzone, will award you with medals. The first 8 Medals are now worth 250 Valor and 5 Commendations each. Players earn Valor and Commendations only for the first 8 Medals (2000 Valor / 40 Commendations in total).

For the full list of medals and titles please refer to the original article: http://www.oldrepublic.net/304-pvp-valor-ranks-medals-titles-list.html

Resolve Bar

Basically, the resolve bar is a visual representation on how many movement, knock backs or action impairing effects (purple bar) a player can take before he becomes immune (the white bar). A good article explaining how this works can be seen here: http://www.oldrepublic.net/391-pvp-resolve-bar-explanation.html

ur mactuly with my main i did skip recruit as i had enough pve and wz cosm to get bm gear though not botherign with WH gear as its too much of a gear grind

• 2 weeks later...
Nice guide, but the pre pvp gear really is junk when going against premades and seasoned veterans. All the marks to get upgrades require endless grinding, but grinding and losing most of the time makes the game kinda lame. Losing and only getting about 50 marks makes the grind suck that much more. I really wish the costs were a tad bit lower...