Companions in the wrong storyline

davanev

Having spent time playing IA, BH and some smuggler I have come to feel that some of my companions are part of the wrong story. Hopefully no need for spoilers here - everything a say is from the first few levels of play.

Mako annoys my BH, far too soft; but would be perfect for my smuggler, useful, sweet natured but willing to break the rules and/or heads when needed. She should have been the one working for Viidu on Ord Mantell, the smuggler could find Corso anywhere later on.

Kaliyo is too much of a loose cannon for my IA, perfect for my BH, no way will she complain if my professional killer actually kills someone. Agent could pick up Temple at Nemro's instead of waiting forever for her, she could replace the one off npc agent who sends him to the trainer.

Are there any other character pairing that you feel could/should have been swapped ? I know these won't change now, just daydreams, but if you were writing these tales from scratch which companions would find new homes ?

Ashara would certainly be better if she could be turned DS but I can't see her fitting into amy other storyline instead - who would Ashara be good with ?. What female charcter wold fit SI better ? DS Jaessa ? Two psychos together ?

Really it depends on your character. For my BH, Mako is basically the perfect partner. Having "off" companions is intentional in order to try and allow for comapnions that fit with multiple personality types for the class. Looking at the BH as an example:

Mako: Buisness minded hunter with LS leanings

Gault: Con man

Torian: Honorable warrior

Blizz: .....I have no idea, awesome person?

Skadge: I don't have him yet, but my understanding from what I've read is psychopath

Ashara Zavros in the Inquisitor class. She runs around claiming to be a Jedi, for crying out loud. How does that in any way fit with any Imperial class?

If there would be a "turning" ompanion quest in the middle or maybe close to the end of her story line it would work out perfectly, I think. Maybe something where you find out things about a Jedi who turned Sith. You explore is reasons and in the end Ashara says he was right and she wants to become Sith too.

Then in the next conversation you can say something like: "Your final test to become Sith is [kill a Jedi you care about]." Then she would go away and returns after she has killed him.

What companions to change... Hmm, I would switch Qyzen with a male Jedi tank (Jedi Guardian), but there is no Jedi tank ingame. Then make Qyzen a ranged tank (Trandoshans normally hunt with rifles) and replace Iresso. Iresso is okay, but a little boring.

Iresso could join the trooper. Maybe replace Tanno Vik. (Haven't played Trooper, but I heard some don't like Vik.)

Or he could replace Sergant Rusk for the Knight.

Edited by Maaruin

Skadge is kind of sad--clearly a victim of bullying and thus a bully himself.

Personally, I think most of the companions fit pretty well, and you can use whichever you want as a good fit for the type of character you want to play. My BH runs with Torian, and not just because he's the LI. The BH has developed into a Mandalorian warrior with a code of honor that's not quite Mandalorian, and Torian fits that, not Mako. My trooper runs with catboy, mostly because of the officer/sarge dynamic. The SI runs with Andronikus, ok, because of the voice, but also because of the dps--he's just top notch. When she doesn't run with him, it's Khem. My IA runs with Scorpio--just seems to fit the intelligence aspect somehow, and it's fascinating to see the dynamic between them.

The only one I'm having trouble with is the SW--as a marauder, Quinn actually suits the play style best, but geez, I do not like the guy. I'm thinking about gearing up Pierce or Broonmark to tank.

Clearly, other people run with different companions, because they have created different philosophies and those companions fit in well.

If there would be a "turning" ompanion quest in the middle or maybe close to the end of her story line it would work out perfectly, I think. Maybe something where you find out things about a Jedi who turned Sith. You explore is reasons and in the end Ashara says he was right and she wants to become Sith too.

Then in the next conversation you can say something like: "Your final test to become Sith is [kill a Jedi you care about]." Then she would go away and returns after she has killed him.

This would make it more acceptable, but would only work if she would shut up about being Jedi.

This would make it more acceptable, but would only work if she would shut up about being Jedi.

You mean during her combat calls, right. Yeah, that should be changed too. But before 1.2 LS Jease said things like "Their pain is exquisite", and I on my lightside warrior had just to ignore it.

You mean during her combat calls, right. Yeah, that should be changed too. But before 1.2 LS Jease said things like "Their pain is exquisite", and I on my lightside warrior had just to ignore it.

Wow... That's another one BW dropped the ball on. Running around chanting dark side slogans when you are a goody two shoes Jedi-wannabe to go alongside Little Miss I'm-A-Jedi-Even-thought-I've-Helped-You-Slaughter-Loads-Of-Jedi.

Perhaps LS Jaesa is just emo? :D

Edited by dazednconfuzed

Am I like the only person who convinced Ashara that she wasn't a Jedi anymore, and that she could be an awesome neutrally aligned Sith like me? I mean, she didn't get any less stupid, and she still had issues with Jedi-logic, but she at least stopped claiming to be one. Was I hallucinating? (To be fair, I never take her anywhere because she is a joyless harpy, so I don't know what she says when she is fighting.) Edited by Celacia

I think it depends on if you went LS or DS with each character. Sure they say pets don't care, but most have a strong leaning one way or the other. Like Vette on my DS Mara...guh! I was fantasizing about a nice morally grey healer when when Quinn showed up.

Hmm...

I wouldn't want all the companions to be perfectly in sync with my character. I don't understand why anyone would want that.

Also it depends on how you play your character. If you play a light side inquisitor, ashara works out fine. The whole point of that character is that she IS Sith, just currently in denial. It's safe to assume she develops more once new chapters are released.

Ashara Zavros in the Inquisitor class. She runs around claiming to be a Jedi, for crying out loud. How does that in any way fit with any Imperial class?

In my opinion Ashara is a very fitting companion for a light/grey sided inquisitor. They kind of share the same ultimate goal. The ending of the current inquisitor storyline is just a step to accomplish it (no more spoilers here).

Also, what i really like in her is that she's a strong person - you can't break her and shatter her principles as easy as, let's say, Jaessa.

But, of course, it absolutely wouldn't hurt to add an option for the dark siders to press her further (either with conversations or lightning) in order to finally break her.

On topic, the one who i think is not really fit for inquisitor is Talos. Yeah, he's funny and all and he likes ancient things like sith artifacts, but... i don't know. Joining a sith for him just doesn't feel logical to me. Also, i don't get it how can he be a healer - he's a historian and archeologist, not a medic.

Edited by Trollokdamus

Also it depends on how you play your character. If you play a light side inquisitor, ashara works out fine.

I dunno about that. I think she fits best with a gray SI. I seem to recall that there were multiple points in her companion conversations where I was surprised by how DS she had become considering that my LS SI was a paragon of virtue. I don't remember which conversation it was specifically unfortunatly. I guess she had just been hanging around Khem or his alter ego a little too much.

I dunno about that. I think she fits best with a gray SI. I seem to recall that there were multiple points in her companion conversations where I was surprised by how DS she had become considering that my LS SI was a paragon of virtue. I don't remember which conversation it was specifically unfortunatly. I guess she had just been hanging around Khem or his alter ego a little too much.

Such moments do present the chance for a light sided Sith to tell her to calm down. She's young and in need of guidance after all. ;)

Really though, my whole point is that I prefer some personality clashes over a team full of cheerleaders.

In my opinion Ashara is a very fitting companion for a light/grey sided inquisitor. They kind of share the same ultimate goal. The ending of the current inquisitor storyline is just a step to accomplish it (no more spoilers here).

Also, what i really like in her is that she's a strong person - you can't break her and shatter her principles as easy as, let's say, Jaessa.

But, of course, it absolutely wouldn't hurt to add an option for the dark siders to press her further (either with conversations or lightning) in order to finally break her.

On topic, the one who i think is not really fit for inquisitor is Talos. Yeah, he's funny and all and he likes ancient things like sith artifacts, but... i don't know. Joining a sith for him just doesn't feel logical to me. Also, i don't get it how can he be a healer - he's a historian and archeologist, not a medic.

Well I think your selling Jaesa a bit short. After all, look at all you do to break her down. I don't think there is any other companion that's as tied up with your characters main storyline.

I'm sure if we got the chance to systematically destroy every thing Ashara cared about her mind would snap like a twig to. ;)

Well I think your selling Jaesa a bit short. After all, look at all you do to break her down. I don't think there is any other companion that's as tied up with your characters main storyline.

I'm sure if we got the chance to systematically destroy every thing Ashara cared about her mind would snap like a twig to. ;)

But Ashara wouldn't become Sith after that. It oly worked with Jaesa because her master was secretly Dark Side and you exposed him.

Ashara would say: "What my masters said was true, the Sith need to be destroyed." Then she would try to kill you and if she couldn't, run back to the Jedi. Or maybe (but unlikely) pretend to join you just to betray you.

She needs to be twisted instead of broken. And I hope if Bioware adds an option to turn her it is more like:

"Look, Ashara, I want to help you. But to accomplish what you want, it won't be enough to use the Light Side and be a Jedi. You have to follow the Sith teachings, it's the only way."

Edited by Maaruin

I think there should definitely be companions of all leanings, but I think the starter companions' personalities should have been more inline with the attitude of a 'typical' bounty hunter, sith warrior, etc, since (1) we are stuck with these companions for some time (I think the worst is the agent getting their SECOND companion at Alderaan) and (2) the starter companions definitely are the 'primary' companion in that you spend the most time with them, thus 'know' them best and they have the most fully fleshed out back stories as well as companion quests.

I mean, I imagine it kind of sucks to roll a BH to be some ruthless BAMF, and then you get Mako for quite some time who doesn't just take affection hits, but needles you every time you do something a ruthless BAMF would do. I mean, if I rolled a DS Jedi Knight, I would expect to be always having to defend my actions and be odds with my main companion... but playing a DS BH?

As they release new content though, this issue will evaporate since we all now have a full crew. I just worry that that first companion will continue to be your 'primary.' Give the other companions (or at least all the love interests) real companion quests!

I see... my judgment on her may be wrong then. I'm not really familiar with the SW storyline, just saw some cutscenes on youtube.

One of the said cutscenes showed me how a noble light sided Jaessa came to rescue her master, and 3 minutes later she's become an evil bloodthirsty girl who killed him with her own hands. After that happened, her light or dark side alignment were set just by a single SW statement.

And btw, we've killed Ashara's former Masters before her very eyes, so she also took a solid blow :)

I agree that it is nice to have variety in companions, to suit different alignments and play styles. So a companion that seems like a "poor fit" to one may be a "perfect fit" for another. ^^

That said, sometimes I feel like Tharan Cedrax would be far better suited to being a Smuggler companion. He doesn't even like the Force, and though he claims to want adventure, he's a pacifist and would probably much prefer a Smuggler's idea of adventure (sneaking around, shooting from a distance, slipping away from trouble, being crafty, etc). He's kinda grown on me, and I don't think he's a horrible fit for the JC or anything . . . I just think he'd work really well as a Smuggler companion.

Seriously, the Smuggler has too many male companions to begin with.

I find that funny because Smuggler, Agent, and Sith Warrior are the only classes that have more than one female companion, the rest are all one female/four males. (Not to mention almost all the females are romance options, minus SCORPIO and Light Side Jaesa).

Anyway, on topic, I think all the companions are fine in the stories they're in, since not everyone plays the same way, so there's always one companion who mostly agrees with you. However, I will say that, in my opinion, for some companions it's odd that they're companions at all. They just seem so out of place, like another NPC would have made more sense to join you.

Khem Val would be bettter for my SW since I rp him as a monster heel Kane type.

Vette and kaliyo would be good for my BH due to their carefree lawlessness.

Aric for my Jedi Knight as two straight arrow types. She would be willing to romance him since Rusk isn't romanceable.

Adronikos would have been good for my Trooper or Smuggler since thye prefer bad boys. My smuggler would have even gone for Doc or Tharan.