How to make Jugg DPS viable in PVP ?

DavidAtkinson

Last seek I've played solo ranked a lot on darth malgus and I've seen Jugg DPS's who just refused to die..

Those guys kited so well that focusing them was a waste of time.

So, is Jugg DPS viable in ranked ?

Or Jugg DPS is as good as the person behind the keyboard is allowing it to be ? ;)

Sometimes I see things that makes me question a lot of ideas people have about PVP in this game.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last seek I've played solo ranked a lot on darth malgus and I've seen Jugg DPS's who just refused to die..

Or Jugg DPS is as good as the person behind the keyboard is allowing it to be ? ;)

Sometimes I see things that makes me question a lot of ideas people have about PVP in this game.

Eheh, the issue with Solo Ranked is that it's often difficult to judge the skill of someone here because of the random team factor. Either your jugg was very good, or your team was very bad. Both can happen, and it's very likely that we will never know the true answer to this question. :)

Everyone is only as good as the person behind the keyboard. That is why we try to make comparisons between good v good. Bad v bad or good v bad come down to questions of skill, not spec.

A good tank will be an excellent skank. A bad dps will just be a bad dps, skank or not.

And yeah in ranked you want to try and avoid the «full dps gear» part, because if you can't take care of yourself a minimum or/and use guard then you'll just get crushed, tanks are the first focus of solo ranked. :)

You can still have an hybrid of both gear, it's what works best usually. :)

I gear high endurance dps for anything. The little bit of ranked I did proved to be, gear wise, the same as regs. Meaning the best way to gear a tank is for maximum endurance. Unless in had a weird experience in the few matches I did. I despise arenas of any form, so I could he wrong.

But def/shield/absorb don't stop being nearly useless because you're doing a different kind of PvP. Endurance stacking is the best way to go for pvp tanks.

Also I get focused first/by the most people many times, whether in regs or ranked

Edited by KendraP

But def/shield/absorb don't stop being nearly useless because you're doing a different kind of PvP. Endurance stacking is the best way to go for pvp tanks.

Def in PVP - responds only to white damage, nullified completely while stunned. Additionally, the whole def stat in the mods (which can be replaced by power) equals maybe 7%. Conclusion - useless.

Shield and absorb in PVP: Works on both white and yellow damage, and is broken down by damage type (not attack type). Does not affect most of the DoTs in the game (though it affects some), and not a select few abilities that players can use (Thundering blast, discharge, immolate and a few more) because they deal internal damage. It affects the rest. You have <shield>% chance to reduce additional <absorb>% from the damage. If the enemy's critical chance + your shield chance is above 100%, then you have <the enemy's chance NOT to crit>% chance to reduce additional <absorb>% from the damage, or in other words - in such cases all non-crit damage you take (excluding the dots and other sources of the rare internal damage) will be shielded. You will feel less difference when fighting 3 DoT specs or when taking a thundering blast, but you will feel quite a big one if fighting 3 arsenal mercs. Conclusion - has uses, and is the personal choice for each player to pick it over crit ,alac or additional power and mastery (don't pick acc, tanks don't need that).

But I agree that above all high endurance is important. Use the mods and enhancements with the highest endurance possible. The tank stats from the enhancements are your secondary focus. Main is endurance, and same goes for the power from the lethal mods.

Does not affect most of the DoTs in the game (though it affects some), and not a select few abilities that players can use (Thundering blast, discharge, immolate and a few more) because they deal internal damage

Shield chance will indeed not affect any DoTs. The only one that will be affected are the ones like Crushing Darkness for sorcerer, because they have an initial "big" hit. If you shield the first big hit, you'll still take the rest of the dot tho :D

And it works also on Thundering Blast, Discharge and everything. Even though you may not see it often because those abilities are often tied to an auto-crit, which cannot be shielded, just like you cannot shield any crit in the game. (that's dumb, I know, and should be fixed)

You're mixing up Damage Reduction and Shield Chance.

Internal and Elemental damage bypass armor, but they still can be shielded. :) You take a ton of damage from a Volatile Substance or a Discharge because they will always ignore your armor. You can still shield those attacks or resist them, but any damage reduction tied to armor is bypassed. The big issue here being that Jugg, like PT, have a lot of their passive mitigation tied to the heavy armor perk. :)

Playing yolos with sub 1k people.... Right. There isn't a single Gold-tier Jug/Guard dps at the moment unless they're dpsing in tank spec.

There is a reason for that. Vengeance and Rage jug are worthless and have no place in solo ranked and in MLG TR. Even powertech is better than juggernaut right now.

Comments of you people just make me laugh. All top ranked solo jugs are skank dps. They only tend to focus with guarding in specific scenarios and healer games. Otherwise they're better off focusing on dpsing and not even guarding anyone. Sad reality is that Jug is only viable as a skank because they get massive survivability boost over other dps specs, have very good burst for hardswitches and aoe is also good but nowhere as powertech's.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Playing yolos with sub 1k people.... Right. There isn't a single Gold-tier Jug/Guard dps at the moment unless they're dpsing in tank spec.

There is a reason for that. Vengeance and Rage jug are worthless and have no place in solo ranked and in MLG TR. Even powertech is better than juggernaut right now.

Comments of you people just make me laugh. All top ranked solo jugs are skank dps. They only tend to focus with guarding in specific scenarios and healer games. Otherwise they're better off focusing on dpsing and not even guarding anyone. Sad reality is that Jug is only viable as a skank because they get massive survivability boost over other dps specs, have very good burst for hardswitches and aoe is also good but nowhere as powertech's.

While I agree that juggie dps needs some help, the guys I've seen running skanks thinking they're dps drive me insane. If you're going to play a tank spec learn to tank.

While I agree that juggie dps needs some help, the guys I've seen running skanks thinking they're dps drive me insane. If you're going to play a tank spec learn to tank.

They may drive you insane but this is the way to play. Not a single gold or even, I can bet, silver jug plays as pure dps.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Shield chance will indeed not affect any DoTs. The only one that will be affected are the ones like Crushing Darkness for sorcerer, because they have an initial "big" hit. If you shield the first big hit, you'll still take the rest of the dot tho :D

And it works also on Thundering Blast, Discharge and everything. Even though you may not see it often because those abilities are often tied to an auto-crit, which cannot be shielded, just like you cannot shield any crit in the game. (that's dumb, I know, and should be fixed)

You're mixing up Damage Reduction and Shield Chance.

Internal and Elemental damage bypass armor, but they still can be shielded. :) You take a ton of damage from a Volatile Substance or a Discharge because they will always ignore your armor. You can still shield those attacks or resist them, but any damage reduction tied to armor is bypassed. The big issue here being that Jugg, like PT, have a lot of their passive mitigation tied to the heavy armor perk. :)

As schook said before these attacks can't be shielded. Only energy and kinetic do. I can guarantee that because I am an assassin and pay attention to my DW stacks and they never ever got shielded. Shield coincidently works only where armor works, even if it isn't for the exact same reason.

As for the DoTs, I am almost certain that crushing darkness and engineering probe (the DoT one, not the AoE) deal kinetic, and actually can be occasionally shielded. It is per tick, of course, just as crit chance is per tick. I said "most DoTs don't get shielded" because I think that beside these 2 all are internal.

Hmm... Maybe sorcs and pyrotechs would get more love if it was a more common knowledge that they are probably the best anti-tanks ever. Tanks take almost the same amount of damage that DPS take from their best bursts and main rotation.

They may drive you insane but this is the way to play. Not a single gold or even, I can bet, silver jug plays as pure dps.

While my ranked experience is rather limited, given the karagga numbers I posted earlier, I do not believe skanks have the same dps potential as a dps. Damage done total / total time maybe.

If you are running a skank you can be far more valuable to your team by guard swapping, taunting, debuffing, CCing, etc, than you would be by trying to be a sucky dps. This is what I mean by "if you want to skank, given the practical uselessness of tank stats fine and squishiness of dps, fine, but learn to tank."

Sad as it sounds, if you want to dps on a good melee dps class go join the club and run a fury mara.

I’m being told by many ranked players that skanks shouldn’t be run in ranked because they are rubbish compared to the better perfoming classes.

Now I’m only going on what other people have said because my lag now prevents me from playing ranked. I had previously assumed there were so many skanks in regs because there were heaps in ranked, but I’ve been told this is incorrect because skanks aren’t good in ranked.

I’m willing to concede I might be wrong about skanks in ranked. I’m basing my argument on third party info, but I’ve heard they are bad, more than I’ve heard they are good.

I’ll leave it there because I’ve got nothing more I can add than people said so.

I really wish you’d make an effort to be right for once before blasting more nonsense across the forums where a new player who doesn’t yet realize to ignore you might pick it up. Juggernaut tanks in dps gear are very, very powerful especially in hardswap group ranked teams. Immortal jugg, corruption sorc, carnage/fury marauder, and marksman sniper are usually the classes brought in this . Not only do dps geared jugg tanks hit VERY hard, they have intimidating roar and peeling abilities such as intercede, along with a push and two hard stuns.

I really wish you’d make an effort to be right for once before blasting more nonsense across the forums where a new player who doesn’t yet realize to ignore you might pick it up. Juggernaut tanks in dps gear are very, very powerful especially in hardswap group ranked teams. Immortal jugg, corruption sorc, carnage/fury marauder, and marksman sniper are usually the classes brought in this . Not only do dps geared jugg tanks hit VERY hard, they have intimidating roar and peeling abilities such as intercede, along with a push and two hard stuns.

You're talking about Team Ranked, where even PTs are good as dps. In solo ranked though it is much harder to pull off this kind of gameplay effectively, apart from a few top3 I haven't seen any skank (full dps gear) able to withstand a long focus in soloq. Team ranked is very different, it has its own rules, because peoples are playing it... in team, making some class way harder to kill due to effective coordination. :)

You're talking about Team Ranked, where even PTs are good as dps. In solo ranked though it is much harder to pull off this kind of gameplay effectively, apart from a few top3 I haven't seen any skank (full dps gear) able to withstand a long focus in soloq. Team ranked is very different, it has its own rules, because peoples are playing it... in team, making some class way harder to kill due to effective coordination. :)

I admit I despise ranked of all forms, indeed arenas of all forms. However, provided the match has a healer, a tank of any form, even a skank, should substantially help the team. If there is no healer, then sure the benefit of a tank is far lower.

The skanks that are the wannabee dps who refuse to learn to tank should die quickly. I have little sympathy for them. My skank is very survivable under focus because I know how to use it effectively.

Obviously, everything is going to be more viable when you have a team able to effectively work together.

In solo ranked you also shouldn't be running tank stats, sure they'll keep you alive a bit longer, but it's not gonna matter if you do next to no damage, which is really what most 3 dps 1 tank ranked matches comes down to, who can push out the most damage on the opposing team the fastest.

I really wish you’d make an effort to be right for once before blasting more nonsense across the forums where a new player who doesn’t yet realize to ignore you might pick.

I really wish you’d make an effort to be a decent human being when talking to others, I guess we can’t all get what we want.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

In solo ranked you also shouldn't be running tank stats, sure they'll keep you alive a bit longer, but it's not gonna matter if you do next to no damage, which is really what most 3 dps 1 tank ranked matches comes down to, who can push out the most damage on the opposing team the fastest.

Well yeah, you shouldn't run with full tank stats in any way. Change all your mods for Power mods, run a few crit mods here and there and you're good to go. :D

Running dps jugg in ranked is certainly a one way ticket to miserableville :(. I gave it a decent try, but there are simply toon many classes with too many advantages compared to juggs at the moment.

Hey, you're back ! Didn't you unsub a month ago or two ? :)

And, well, the same can be said for a lot of class right now. Operatives are the only one in the "middle" bracket for now. They are very good, but so hard to play that it compensate a lot. That's a shame tho, either you're in the upper class or you're in the lower ones. It does seem difficult to find a middle ground for the balance team... If they're trying to do that of course. Can't say that it doesn't look like improvement is on the way, sadly.

While my ranked experience is rather limited, given the karagga numbers I posted earlier, I do not believe skanks have the same dps potential as a dps. Damage done total / total time maybe.

If you are running a skank you can be far more valuable to your team by guard swapping, taunting, debuffing, CCing, etc, than you would be by trying to be a sucky dps. This is what I mean by "if you want to skank, given the practical uselessness of tank stats fine and squishiness of dps, fine, but learn to tank."

Sad as it sounds, if you want to dps on a good melee dps class go join the club and run a fury mara.

Pooled hatred stacks. You survive more in tank spec and end up dealing more damage as a result, too.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Hey, you're back ! Didn't you unsub a month ago or two ? :)

And, well, the same can be said for a lot of class right now. Operatives are the only one in the "middle" bracket for now. They are very good, but so hard to play that it compensate a lot. That's a shame tho, either you're in the upper class or you're in the lower ones. It does seem difficult to find a middle ground for the balance team... If they're trying to do that of course. Can't say that it doesn't look like improvement is on the way, sadly.

I did leave yes, and i honestly thought it was for good this time. But after ~300 matches in PUBG without a single victory, I decided to come back here heh. At least for the time being.

And i would really love play my jugg as a main, but i keep yo-yo'ing between 1250 - 1340 without making any headway. The class is fine against other juggs and pts (and of course inexperienced players), but even sorcs have far too much mobility when they know how to kite. Sniper and maras are my doom :D

Edit: OT, dps juggs should have close to immortal spec survivability in ranked. It's fine having a class that can not escape focus fire, but only if it also have defensive stats to match it.

Edited by Lundorff

Edit: OT, dps juggs should have close to immortal spec survivability in ranked. It's fine having a class that can not escape focus fire, but only if it also have defensive stats to match it.

Or we could scrap the idea of these random setups and have proper matchmaking (i.e. full trinity in every ranked game), so not everything has to be made into a walking trinity.

Edited by Schoock

Pooled hatred stacks. You survive more in tank spec and end up dealing more damage as a result, too.

This was literally the point of posting the karagga numbers. The greater total damage and dps is because of the greater survivability and the damage total / total time calculation.

It's basic arithmetic.