Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

So many people in here complain, and complain, and complain. There are other games out there last I checked, that are as affordable as SWTOR, many even less expensive. I think that company called Blizzard still has that one simple, yet popular MMO available.

No one is making you subscribe, and if they are, something is wrong.

Whatever happened to enjoying a game for what is is, and having fun? This isn't my first MMO, and probably not my last, but I love this game, it's everything I imagined it to be, and it's less than 9 months old. That's just me.

Just transferred with friends from The Shadow Runner to Tomb of Freedon Nadd as part of the free transfer. We were hoping for a few more people on the server and better options for PvP guilds / queues. We now have a 30-40 minute wait time just to enter ToFN and so much lag that SW is no longer enjoyable or playable in some areas. That wait time & the super lag added to the loss of all our most played characters' names on transfer has made us unsub from SW and revive our old guild back on WoW.

So moral of the story is if a game is annoying so much, just unsubscribe as suggested in the quote above. There are plenty of other MMOs out there.

Edited by Sarova

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am disappointed in the character transfer process. The key thing that bothers me is the way the character names are handled. My server is not a destination server so I will be losing all my character names if I transfer. This is something I am not willing to do. I pre-ordered swtor and beta tested. I ensured I would be able to get the names I desired and did. Now I am forced to lose the names I have carried on my characters through years of MMOs. I have four level 50 characters in swtor and they all will lose their names if I transfer. A solution to this would be to look at character level and the date the character was created and base who gets to keep the name depending on that data. At this point I will not transfer. I hope to see a better handling of this when the server merges are implemented or I will be leaving the game sadly. It is no fun to play a character with a name you do not desire.

it does not count what you or me want it is what the bioware management wants this company only want their ideas realized and not what the people who subscribe desire as the charter transfer shows they decided how the transfer is handled and it looks like if you do not like it you have to go cause they will not listen to anyone unless it goes with their opinion

I'm on a very low-population server, and I like it quite well. However, I'm not clear on why a low-population server can be considered a bad thing, or a thing to escape, from other viewpoints. Can someone explain this?

It might help to clarify my position to say I don't plan to join any guilds and I group very very infrequently.

Question 2: Are these constant reminders in game that character transfers are available a sign that eventually a low-population server will be removed entirely? I really hope not.

I only transferred because my guild did, but I am annoyed at that as they did it in my absence after they said they were staying put. Now I have four characters on the Destination server, and four on the Origin plus 8 on the server that I started with on launch, also an Origin server.

This has not been well thought out. Bioware should know that many of us are altaholics and will not be happy if they slam the door on half our characters.

Is anyone HAPPY with the character transfer system?

I was stoked to hear it was being implemented, but this implementation is just ridiculous. Never would have imagined they'd try and control which servers will be capable of receiving a character transfer.

I generally try to avoid the general queque that Bioware gets (ya'll can be quite dramatic little whiners, fellow TORers) but this is indefensibly stupid.

Yes, my server MAY end up being available for transfer and you're worried about server population, but christ, just let me put my ONE character on Lord Ieldis I made before friends started playing with the rest of my SEVEN on Vrook Lamar. The only way to get this one character to play with the other seven would be to move all EIGHT to Bergern Colony. ***.

I'm not moving a guild here. It's not a migration of all my characters and the characters of everyone I know. Its one dude.

Hate o say it but everytime i hear about something the devs are trying to do . I get a picture in my head of a room full of chimpanzee's banging on keyboards while screaming at a bananna and flinging poo.

This is now in my head as well. It pretty accurately describes them I think. Every seemingly minor thing turns into a complete debacle. Where did they get these people?

My exact problem as well. Got one toon stuck on a server that a pre-launch guild, which I was in, got assigned to. Now I have 6 toons that I play with buddies from work that got in game later. I was hoping to move my 1 guy back into the fold when character transfers would be aloud. Guess not.. :(

Is anyone HAPPY with the character transfer system?

I was stoked to hear it was being implemented, but this implementation is just ridiculous. Never would have imagined they'd try and control which servers will be capable of receiving a character transfer.

I generally try to avoid the general queque that Bioware gets (ya'll can be quite dramatic little whiners, fellow TORers) but this is indefensibly stupid.

Yes, my server MAY end up being available for transfer and you're worried about server population, but christ, just let me put my ONE character on Lord Ieldis I made before friends started playing with the rest of my SEVEN on Vrook Lamar. The only way to get this one character to play with the other seven would be to move all EIGHT to Bergern Colony. ***.

I'm not moving a guild here. It's not a migration of all my characters and the characters of everyone I know. Its one dude.

I am disappointed in the character transfer process. The key thing that bothers me is the way the character names are handled. My server is not a destination server so I will be losing all my character names if I transfer. This is something I am not willing to do. I pre-ordered swtor and beta tested. I ensured I would be able to get the names I desired and did. Now I am forced to lose the names I have carried on my characters through years of MMOs. I have four level 50 characters in swtor and they all will lose their names if I transfer. A solution to this would be to look at character level and the date the character was created and base who gets to keep the name depending on that data. At this point I will not transfer. I hope to see a better handling of this when the server merges are implemented or I will be leaving the game sadly. It is no fun to play a character with a name you do not desire.

All that , yep

oh and cancled today not like it matered iI have time but i got a notice telling me it was going to charge me in 30 days when I showed that I had 58 days. I am done paying for this.

You can always use some special charactes to get the name you want, or at least close enough.

http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards.asp

And have you tried going to the destination server and checking to see if your name is already taken?

Question, I havn't been around lately but i'm trying to search for this answer both on the FAQs and the forums and i'm just not finding the answer...

Guild banks have to be removed and sorted before transferring, but how about regular character banks? Do I have to clean my banks out on all characters before I transfer?

Question, I havn't been around lately but i'm trying to search for this answer both on the FAQs and the forums and i'm just not finding the answer...

Guild banks have to be removed and sorted before transferring, but how about regular character banks? Do I have to clean my banks out on all characters before I transfer?

No.....

I have the same problem as several other players in this thread: I have 8 characters on Trask Ulgo, with their own legacy, and into whom I've invested a lot of time and effort. The destination server is The Progenitor - on which I already have 6 characters, with their own separate legacy and again, a lot of invested time and effort.

As a long term roleplayer and altoholic, I don't want to lose any of my chars, their names, or their legacy names. Deleting chars is like having to have a beloved pet put down (*waits for the flames*). My chars are special to me. Some of them I've been playing in various RPGs for over 15 years.

I strongly suspect, from looking at the transfer lists, that the intention is to consolidate the population onto a few servers and then delete the dead ones. So one way or another, it seems likely that I'm either going to lose characters or their legacies or some of both.

I love the game, I'm having an an enormous amount of fun, so it's not an unsubbing issue for me because that would just be cutting off my nose to spite my face. But I'm certainly not happy about it :(

Well it's all over ....

... my transfers that is. ;)

I was not very "pleased" at the beginning of this process. But, I have to say that 2 of our community helped make the transition process easer to take. So that said:

BW Community Mods if you ever EVER open VIP status to players/readers of these forums, I suggest:

JeramieCrowe for is cool headed and sage advice.

-and-

Scorpienne for her attempt to give the community an idea of actual server population numbers and accurately determining destination servers based on trends.

Both of these fellow players helped manage my expectations during this transition.

All in all I only had to delete 1 character, only lost 1 legacy name (but got my second choice), only had to rename 3 characters, AND actually gained a mid level character to my main legacy.

Thanks again and sorry for all the rage and grief, mia culpa. :)

Edited by Urael

Perhaps my concern is groundless, but I couldn't help but notice that fully 188 servers (at least, by my count) have been flagged as origin servers for these transfers/mergers. Presumably, these servers will be shut down if they are emptied.

This is out of a list of 217 servers.

Are 217 servers becoming 29? Have subscription numbers really fallen this low? I want to see TOR thrive, but this kind of news spooks me a little and makes me fear for the future of this game.

EDIT: the good news is that this means my Republic characters are now all the on the same server, and can thus all be part of the same legacy. That makes me happy. I can also show off my Jedi characters to my friend who had originally only seen my Smuggler.

Edited by KriimIanga

Sorry if this has already been done, but I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate all of our desires for the character transfers in one place so the developers could see them all. I know they want all of the discussion in one thread so I’m not making a new thread. Here are some of the things I feel should be considered. I am not taking credit for any of these ideas. Please add to the list and keep it going. This is not a place to argue about what is on the list, but to make the list as comprehensive as possible.

1) Allow players to consolidate their characters to one server (for free). Too many people, myself included felt it necessary to reroll on a different server for whatever reason. Now that we are forced (sort of) to move again, it would be nice to have them all in one place. This should not affect populations since you can only play one character at a time.

2) Allow people with 2 sets of characters totaling more than 8 have 2 destination servers. Another option would be to allow more than 8 characters on the server. Or better yet, have both of these. It’s a shame that people with a lot of alts will lose them.

3) Give naming priority to those players who created their character first. Too many players are losing their names due to the transfer. It isn’t really fair to lose your name just because you did not start on a destination server. Same would be true for Legacy names.

4) Make guild moves easier. How about they just move with the guild master. It might be too late for this.

1) Allow players to consolidate their characters to one server (for free). Too many people, myself included felt it necessary to reroll on a different server for whatever reason. Now that we are forced (sort of) to move again, it would be nice to have them all in one place. This should not affect populations since you can only play one character at a time.

2) Allow people with 2 sets of characters totaling more than 8 have 2 destination servers. Another option would be to allow more than 8 characters on the server. Or better yet, have both of these. It’s a shame that people with a lot of alts will lose them.

3) Give naming priority to those players who created their character first. Too many players are losing their names due to the transfer. It isn’t really fair to lose your name just because you did not start on a destination server. Same would be true for Legacy names.

4) Make guild moves easier. How about they just move with the guild master. It might be too late for this.

This is about the only way that I'll renew my sub...

good choice

this way u want get massive queues on allready 'heavy" servers

i'm looking forward to see the servers which are allowed

actually harbinger had a 300 person queue last night and a 30min wait to get online...

Perhaps my concern is groundless, but I couldn't help but notice that fully 188 servers (at least, by my count) have been flagged as origin servers for these transfers/mergers. Presumably, these servers will be shut down if they are emptied.

This is out of a list of 217 servers.

Are 217 servers becoming 29? Have subscription numbers really fallen this low? I want to see TOR thrive, but this kind of news spooks me a little and makes me fear for the future of this game.

EDIT: the good news is that this means my Republic characters are now all the on the same server, and can thus all be part of the same legacy. That makes me happy. I can also show off my Jedi characters to my friend who had originally only seen my Smuggler.

Not necessarily. The servers seem to be handling a much higher population than they did at launch.

actually harbinger had a 300 person queue last night and a 30min wait to get online...

Yeah, same thing happened with Ebon Hawk last week, but the transfer surge, as I predicted, dropped off, so we don't have a queue anymore. Concurrent playtimes spike during the transfer period, then everyone goes back to playing at the times they normally do.

When does the entire server transfer process end? I've got a friend who currently doesn't have a subscription but will resubscribe in the future but he's wanting to know if he'll have enough time to come back for the transfer process or if he just needs to resubscribe now and move his account.

Is it a groundless fear that I have here? I'm all for consolidating some servers to increase the likelihood you'll find others on and all, but it seems like now you're going to have to wait to log on, and possibly find out "Oh, sorry no room for you- wait X amount of minutes". I'm paying to be able to play, if I wanted to pay to wait I'd hop in my car and get on the tollway at rush hour! :(