Casual RP'er here.

Doc_Shady

I am far from hardcore and not a frequent RP'er unless engaged but I do dabbled (and enjoyed) RP for a while. I enjoyed it most in SWG. Found some in WOW but it evolved into small cliques on a smaller number of servers. Very hard to find. I'm hoping for a fresh start here in TOR.

My question is though I have dabbled with RP before, I still consider myself green. How accepting is the community towards new/inexperienced RP'ers?

Is it generally hard to find on your average RP server?

I'm hoping to find a small guild of friendly and accepting RP'ers who are willing to work with me and tollerate my lack of RP prowess (for lack of a better term). What are the chances?

There are many different breeds of roleplayers, and they're all scattered across the many RP servers. If you're searching for RP on a particular server, head over to SWTOR-RP and browse through our forums. We've got a forum set up for every RP server, as well as our main forum too.

If you need help getting set up, hit my PM box here or at SWTOR-RP :)

Good luck!

A lot of the RP servers also host their own server forums. I play on The Ebon Hawk; our forums are here. You could get somewhat of a feel of the community by checking it out. Not everyone uses it frequently, but there is a small, dedicated crew who does. I don't know the other servers' forums, but they're probably not hard to find.

In my experience (which has mainly been on the Hawk), the community is very open and welcoming, even to novice RPers. Be sure to check the various guides around for new RPers; there are helpful tips for all levels in them, and don't be afraid to tell people that you may not be comfortable or feel practiced. Folks will usually rush to help or let you know that it's okay.

Another thing which you may already know, is that when trying out a server for RP, join the OOC channel (/cjoin OOC) and say hello. You can introduce yourself or say that you're checking it out if you feel comfortable, or you can just lurk. A caveat, however--the culture, on our server at least, is vastly different between the Republic and Empire sides. It's such a strong difference, that some folks who usually play Empire who have started Republic alts are getting pushback for the type of OOC chat they've assumed happens. So you might stumble into that, and it would be misleading were you to judge the RP experience on the server by that.

Lastly, each server tends to have certain fixed event days; find out what they are and attend. There tend to be faction and cross-faction mixers, as well as class-specific regular events and one-time deals. The mixers (usually cantina RP) are an easy way to meet the RP crowd, and it doesn't take any plot investment. Just react in character to bar shenanigans.

My apologies if you already know some of this information. Good luck!

First, I'm only talking about Sanctum of the Exalted (US EST RP-PvE). That's my only server.

How accepting is the community towards new/inexperienced RP'ers?

Very. Really, all people want is someone who's *willing* to RP and is willing to play by a few very generic community guidelines that basically sum up to, "your character has a normal power level, just like the rest of us".

Here are some examples from and advice for Sanctum of the Exalted.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=433627

Is it generally hard to find on your average RP server?

I don't think so. There are a *lot* of organized events on Sanctum. Check them out here.

http://www.sanctumoftheexalted.enjin.com/events

We keep up IC and OC galaxy-wide channels.

Republicnet is the Republic IC channel, and Republicooc is the Republic OOC channel. These are server-wide. Imperialnet and Imperialooc are the Imperial equivalents. They’re generally quiet, until someone starts RPing and then a lot of folks chime in.

I'm hoping to find a small guild of friendly and accepting RP'ers who are willing to work with me and tollerate my lack of RP prowess (for lack of a better term). What are the chances?

They're good. :-) Try the Ideal Guild Quiz. http://www.tortoolbox.com/quiz See if there's a group that plays the way you want to play, and then go stalk them and see what you think about them.

Good luck!

Paige