How do you get people to listen to you in warzones?

Zakaan

I've a lot of passion for pick-up battlegrounds and warzones but throughout all my years the absolute biggest issue is the lack of cooperation. I can post tactics, mark HVTs, call out game-saving orders and display the meaning of life across their screen but no one ever seems to care. I get nothing. Marked targets go unscathed, nodes go undefended on defense or unmolested on offense and I feel as though I'm surrounded by tunnel-visioning killbots with no regard for anything but red-colored nameplates and the act of smashing their keyboard as hard as possible until they die, resurrect, and jump blindly back into the fray to do it all over again.

Hell, I'd even like someone to call me a complete moron and tell me that we should do X or Y instead. At least that means someone cares about what they're doing. There seems to be a blatant and completely intentional lack of concern for anything other than blaster to saber action in warzones. Players don't care whether or not they're directly responsible for their team's loss as they get to throw themselves at that damnable operative/powertech/juggernaut trio that they've tried their hand in killing 4 times in a row. They just don't seem to care about anyone else besides themselves even though they're in a game in which player to player interaction is its lifeblood.

How do you change that with nothing but words?

I generally try being extremely positive, upbeat, attempt being funny, etc... and it doesn't always work. There are some people that are just as daft as they come, or just plainly do not care. When that happens, I usually resort to verbalizing the situation a little more "strongly."

Overall, you're never going to get certain people to listen in WZs.

People play PVP for different reasons. Not going to change that much, I fear. The one I hate is the healer who sits there healing themselves over and over just to get more medals regardless of what is going on around them. Nothing you can do but drive on. You aren't going to change them.

I've a lot of passion for pick-up battlegrounds and warzones but throughout all my years the absolute biggest issue is the lack of cooperation. I can post tactics, mark HVTs, call out game-saving orders and display the meaning of life across their screen but no one ever seems to care. I get nothing. Marked targets go unscathed, nodes go undefended on defense or unmolested on offense and I feel as though I'm surrounded by tunnel-visioning killbots with no regard for anything but red-colored nameplates and the act of smashing their keyboard as hard as possible until they die, resurrect, and jump blindly back into the fray to do it all over again.

Hell, I'd even like someone to call me a complete moron and tell me that we should do X or Y instead. At least that means someone cares about what they're doing. There seems to be a blatant and completely intentional lack of concern for anything other than blaster to saber action in warzones. Players don't care whether or not they're directly responsible for their team's loss as they get to throw themselves at that damnable operative/powertech/juggernaut trio that they've tried their hand in killing 4 times in a row. They just don't seem to care about anyone else besides themselves even though they're in a game in which player to player interaction is its lifeblood.

Ritalin.

i can't reach through the screen and make them take it though unfortunately

You don't.... you queue up and pray that the people on your team have a basic understanding of the game.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

What Ugly said.

Don't waste your time typing because at that point you're just wasting your own time. I used to be just like you when the game first came out and quickly learned that the most effective way to improve your chances of winning is to learn to read a map quickly and anticipate the opposing teams next move. Learn to numlock while running, keep sentences short to 2-4 words.

gg,gl,hf

If the WZ has begun "2 East", "Mid now", etc. is all that should have to be said except for very rare circumstances. Team member situational awareness should take care of the rest. If not and explanations and buy in are required for something, it's likely just a waste of time and chat box clogger IMO.

lol except when someone says 2 snow 4 mid 2 grass or whatever the plan is, an ALL GO MID

or when i say i will intercept snow for a capper, but when everyone sees me drop snow, they all go mid and i end up taking the scenic route to cap snow myself and get interrupted because it took so long to get there unless the other team is even dumber than mine and sent no one to stop me

dumb

lol except when someone says 2 snow 4 mid 2 grass or whatever the plan is, an ALL GO MID

or when i say i will intercept snow for a capper, but when everyone sees me drop snow, they all go mid and i end up taking the scenic route to cap snow myself and get interrupted because it took so long to get there unless the other team is even dumber than mine and sent no one to stop me

dumb

Hehe... Had a lot of those this weekend. Next update needs a cognitive ability bolster in Fri - Sun WZs.

The problem I've found is this: We mark a healer to focus down and may begin attacking him but then become focused ourselves by DPS or tanks. Naturally people want to defend themselves and begin attacking whoever is attacking them. I've seen this happen sooo many times! It can be difficult to focus a target when you're being focused especially by smashers.

Another thing is healers healing healers making the squishiest healer hard to kill in addition to dps and tanks defending the healers. I'm not saying it can't be done, it just makes it a freaking pain.

Calling out directions gets ignored I'd say 99.9% of the time especially in Novare or CW. Usually people start communicating when you're losing and that's to assign blame. I have to say tho the past few days it has been fun in matches which I attribute to Ilum and all the gankings going on there. Why play fair when you can gank people? :p

As the one guy said being a standout player is the easiest way. If you are a sniper that is 4th or 5th in damage on your team no one is going to listen to you, nor should they.

Another thing I think you need to probably accept is that a lot of players pvp to kill players and don't really care about the objectives, if that's the case you're going to have to rethink what you're doing. Now if they are unwilling or incapable of priority targeting people it's obviously a lost cause and all you can do is work on your own game or be one of those people that quits in a video game.

Some other things I've noticed is if some random person tells me that they want me to sit and guard a node, I'm going to tell them to guard the node themself.

You also shouldn't need call outs, all you have to do is be aware of who is on the weakside node, and react if you see them in combat. If you're into this enough to give orders, take that upon yourself.

Lastly after the first main fight you can pretty much tell who knows what their doing on your own team, pug pvp pretty much boils down to which side has more of those people, so if you're a strategist you need to know what you're working with quick.

Really the best thing you can do is know what you're talking about and not act like a lunatic if things don't go your way. If you do that the players that are worth knowing may take some ques from you and those that aren't will continue being themselves.

I have a tip...try treating someone who is making an attempt like a human being. "**** you" every other time they have something to say is not an effective method of communicating regardless of how angry you are and ******** all over them and ************ constantly really is a turn off especially for someone who is still learning.

Pro-Tip: If they're not in TS/Mumble/Vent with you...then they're not listening.

technically this is true because my chatbox doesn't seem to speak the words you type in it (be great if it did) If I respect the player barking orders I'll follow them out. If I don't know the person barking orders I'll listen if the idea makes sense to me. But just barking to bark will get know response.

Jenna'syyde

The way things go in this game is - if you offer logical strategies and tactics to the team during the game, and something goes wrong; anything at all, you'll get flamed the rest of the game. That's the way it works for me anyways.

People honestly don't want to hear you talk in ops.

The only thing people should be saying in ops chat is "2 inc snow" and etc.

Other than that, no one talented talks in ops chat.

I will listen to any idea uttered in the chat (usually i play with premades but still try to follow the strat. someone brought up). If things make sense to me i will follow the advice and do my best to make it work. I know many people do. The problem thats way bigger is people no doint there job when not guided. Alderan for instance: Some folks are pushing east so ofc. i ill storm mid the moment i respawn to bin reinforcments there (if there are any) because i would be way too late east. Most of the tiime people will not recognize what i am doing there and in the end it did provide them with a better chance to cap the desired node. This is not always easy to explain and sometimes i forget to do so but if i have the time i will communicate my thoughts. If things go badly i try to encourage my team to go for objectives and in most cases people will follow me. I may not be an outstanding player but i always try hard (usually highest heal on my operative, always highest guard on my jugger and nearly always highest damage when i play my PT) and enforce objectives leading the zerg with utmoust bravery ;-) . Btw. when someone makes good calls throughout a Wz he/she will always receive a whisper from me in the end complimenting on that in order to encourage that person to keep that good work up. So : Thanks to all those "guys" still trying to help the team out with your calls. And there is way more room in the chat then just 2 inc w ^^