Premades are ruining non-ranked warzones

Monoth

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=593335

that thread details an algorithm that i created for a skill-based matchmaking system. was bored and frustrated one day, and that was the result.

basic ELO algorithms exist in all kinds of games. it exists in this game even, granted at a basic level (RWZ, based on straight W:L).

so dont say there is no good way for a skill based matchmaking system to evaluate your personal performance.

So you Think its agood way to describe Your skills as a Pvp:er if you sum up all the previous fights and losses way back? So You have to bear the burden of other players mistakes that made You lose some fights? Nah..cmon, I hoped you could come up with something better....That can never be a sign of your skills bad or good, since theyr not individual. And even if they were, you shouldnt get glory or badrep for being ganked or ganking other players.

Go find something better!

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we stop with the premades are cowardly teenager garbage already?

Enough of us here are throwing out actual solutions other than 'matchmaking is bad' simply because of your rational thought of bioware unable to make a solo only and group only queue so they must lack the coding necessary to put in a matchmaking system.

You just want a system based on ganking history? I Think you are a coward premade runner now.

Good that I now know who or wht intrests are behind the skillbased ranking system. Its premade runners heaven if htey can get merit of thier meaningless ganking activites and get some kind of reward of the ganking.

You just want a system based on ganking history? I Think you are a coward premade runner now.

Good that I now know who or wht intrests are behind the skillbased ranking system. Its premade runners heaven if htey can get merit of thier meaningless ganking activites and get some kind of reward of the ganking.

Are you seriousing me right now?

Yes, a matchmaking system if in place could take into account past warzones played but it could also start tracking the actual stats as soon as a system is in place so everyone starts out at a 0 rating.

All you spew is hate and that everyone who runs a premade is a coward. Your arguments (if you can even call them that) bring nothing to the table.

If you want to add to the conversation at least put some effort and thought into what you will post instead of saying this nonsense.

So you Think its agood way to describe Your skills as a Pvp:er if you sum up all the previous fights and losses way back? So You have to bear the burden of other players mistakes that made You lose some fights? Nah..cmon, I hoped you could come up with something better....That can never be a sign of your skills bad or good, since theyr not individual. And even if they were, you shouldnt get glory or badrep for being ganked or ganking other players.

Go find something better!

you didnt even read the OP did you?

new rating = initial rating + (SQRT(12/# of games)+.5) * ( -.001*abs_val(median opponent rating-initial rating)+1) * {LOG[([(dps*dpsW) + (dpk*dpsW) + (prot/life*tankW) + (PPL*tankW) + (DtPL*tankW) + (hps*healW) + (hpl*healW) + (objm/objW)] / 75)-9.33] }

it takes into account everything *YOU* do in the warzone. it doesnt take into account whether you win or lose the warzone, or what anyone else does. only your personal contribution to the warzone.

and it would not be retroactive. it would start tracking your rating from the first WZ you did with the system in place.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

The skillbased queue system is a bad idea. Really really bad. Do you honestly Think that BW could produce a system that could calculate your pvp skill? Whne they even cant make a PUG vs PUG and a Premade vs Premade queue!?

Okay, are you against matchmaking in general or just one based on "skill" criteria?

So , BW, it would be nice if we got rid of these immature kids, so we can have a balanced nice game instead of this mess.

You are running out of chances with your customers, BW....

Also, seriously can you knock that off? People who group are just as mature (or immature) as those who solo queue, and their ability to or motivation to group has nothing to do with their personal skill.

For **** sake, if the game design really allows 4 unskilled grouped players to beat 4 skilled PuG's, you've got a lot bigger problem in your game.

Pvp system should be balanced and NOT meriting griefing or ganking.

And yes, it Think premades are cowards since they need thier healers, tnaks and assisting dps to back them up in all fights, or they would lose. Theres nothing they seem to be able to do singlehanded. Always need a buddy to help them in all situations. I guess theyr just the same in RL too.

And yes, it Think premades are cowards since they need thier healers, tnaks and assisting dps to back them up in all fights, or they would lose. Theres nothing they seem to be able to do singlehanded. Always need a buddy to help them in all situations. I guess theyr just the same in RL too.

Who wants to go through RL flying 100% solo? That sounds sad and depressing.

Anyways a matchmaking system would without a question help balance things out. It wont help with group composition, that will remain random but the same would be true for splitting up the queues.

ah, internet tough guy.

i actually spend most of my time solo queuing. yet here i am, a proponent of matchmaking. care to explain that?

Who wants to go through RL flying 100% solo? That sounds sad and depressing.

Anyways a matchmaking system would without a question help balance things out. It wont help with group composition, that will remain random but the same would be true for splitting up the queues.

So you came up with nothing? impressive.

well, i still Think its better to separate the queues to be more balance and bring back the fun. Or make it an open World pvp arena where ppl have room to move around as they please. Being boxed-in with 8 players in a small arena is just made for grifers and gankers. No where to run and overwhealming opposition with uber heals- its not my idea of fun pvp.

ah, internet tough guy.

i actually spend most of my time solo queuing. yet here i am, a proponent of matchmaking. care to explain that?

I dont spend that much time in pvp queus when i go solo. When time is right the pvp goes on all the time on my server. Too bad its Always same ****** pvp going on. Id happily swap better pvp for longer time in queue.

So you came up with nothing? impressive.

well, i still Think its better to separate the queues to be more balance and bring back the fun. Or make it an open World pvp arena where ppl have room to move around as they please. Being boxed-in with 8 players in a small arena is just made for grifers and gankers. No where to run and overwhealming opposition with uber heals- its not my idea of fun pvp.

LOL

that is a serious suggestion?

you think that in open world PvP there is going to be LESS griefing, ganking, and general douchebaggery?

there is also no Bolster in open world, resulting in an ENORMOUS gear gap between PvP and PvE. the amount of whining would be obscene.

I dont spend that much time in pvp queus when i go solo. When time is right the pvp goes on all the time on my server. Too bad its Always same ****** pvp going on. Id happily swap better pvp for longer time in queue.

the irony of that statement is that a solo-queue, which you want, would not really increase the queue time for solo-queuers. it would, however, increase the queue time for grouped players drastically, and queue time would be infinite for a 3-player group.

good suggestions tho :rolleyes:

Edited by cashogy_reborn

LOL

that is a serious suggestion?

you think that in open world PvP there is going to be LESS griefing, ganking, and general douchebaggery?

there is also no Bolster in open world, resulting in an ENORMOUS gear gap between PvP and PvE.

He is either very stupid or a troll.

I am split on my decision.

Aren't healers, tanks, and assisting Dps other players?

So Premades are cowards because they expect other players to be doing their jobs (the other players jobs)?

So as a PuG you should;

if someone tries to heal you should you run away cause real PvP'ers don't use healers?

If someone else puts a guard on you, you should click it off cause real PvP'ers don't use tanks?

And if someone attacks the same target as you, you should switch targets cause real PvP'ers don't let others assist them in Dps?

Being boxed-in with 8 vs 8 players in a small room-sized arena is just bad for any pvp that wants to relay on tactics to compensate for unbalanced Power between the teams. I didnt know I had to explain this for such experianced pvpers as you guys.

ah, internet tough guy.

Someone said it earlier. Matchmaking is a pie in the sky.

Sure, it's a more comprehensive system. But it's costly, and complicated.

Let's not forget that this is a business, and there are a few things businesses take into account before changing how they do something:

• Simplicity
  • Ease of Implementation
  • Cost Effectiveness

I can't argue that matchmaking isn't a more comprehensive system, but I can argue that from EA's perspective it is not the better choice. We know their record. We know what motivates them.

If they change it at all (don't hold your breath), they will split the queues. If I am wrong, I will gladly bow at your feet and send you a gift basket full of Cool Ranch Doritos and Taco Bell gift cards. For now, though, economics and business management take precedence over idealism.

Aren't healers, tanks, and assisting Dps other players?

So Premades are cowards because they expect other players to be doing their jobs (the other players jobs)?

So as a PuG you should;

if someone tries to heal you should you run away cause real PvP'ers don't use healers?

If someone else puts a guard on you, you should click it off cause real PvP'ers don't use tanks?

And if someone attacks the same target as you, you should switch targets cause real PvP'ers don't let others assist them in Dps?

Premades can go face other premades and let us "noobs" do our fights without you, premades. Or you too afraid of faceing your own kind? I have no probs with ppl helping out, but go ight your own kind if you Think its so fun

Being boxed-in with 8 vs 8 players in a small room-sized arena is just bad for any pvp that wants to relay on tactics to compensate for unbalanced Power between the teams. I didnt know I had to explain this for such experianced pvpers as you guys.

So your complaint has more to do with the size of the 8v8 warzones? And that relying on tactics is compensation for an unbalance of power between the two teams?

Yep. Very stupid and not a troll.

I literally have no clue what you are complaining about at this point.

So your complaint has more to do with the size of the 8v8 warzones? And that relying on tactics is compensation for an unbalance of power between the two teams?

Yep. Very stupid and not a troll.

I literally have no clue what you are complaining about at this point.

Guess it Went over your lil head. Cant help you there.

Let's not forget that this is a business, and there are a few things businesses take into account before changing how they do something:

• Simplicity
  • Ease of Implementation
  • Cost Effectiveness

I can't argue that matchmaking isn't a more comprehensive system, but I can argue that from EA's perspective it is not the better choice. We know their record. We know what motivates them.

If they change it at all (don't hold your breath), they will split the queues. If I am wrong, I will gladly bow at your feet and send you a gift basket full of Cool Ranch Doritos and Taco Bell gift cards. For now, though, economics and business management take precedence over idealism.

I will admit I know nothing about coding and implementing such systems into a game but they already track wins/losses and rating for ranked as well as individual stats for after each warzone. It seems that they have tools in place they just need to put them to work.

I just cant get my head around the idea that splitting the queues will solve anything. You are still going to have an imbalance of teams in terms of composition and a wide skill gap between a solo only and group only queue.

Both ideas wont work 100% but I strongly feel that if everyone was placed into a warzone based on their own skill level that everyone would have a more enjoyable time.

• Simplicity
  • Ease of Implementation
  • Cost Effectiveness

I'm going to focus on part 2 and 3 there.

Ease of Implementation: There is already a ranking system in the game, whether poor or not. All that needs to happen is for it to apply to all matches, and be "invisible" for non-ranked.

As for how easy or difficult it is to tell the game to sort 16 people rather than toss them in first come, first serve... it's not rocket science, and it's been done in many, many games across many, many genres.

Cost Effectiveness: There is 1 example of the split queue's model, and it's numbers/effectiveness is not made public because Rift is not publicly traded. For all we know, implementing the "simple fix" could mean an immediate loss of every grouped player in the game, while even if matchmaking is ineffective the game will simple bleed PvP subs as it has at it's current rate.

I'm sorry Maverick, but the "Matchmaking is too hard/complex" argument doesn't hold water. It would also be simpler and easy to implement if Bioware just put out a statement: "Grouping is expected, deal with it." But I think we can all agree the cost of that is likely to be extremely high.

Premades can go face other premades and let us "noobs" do our fights without you, premades. Or you too afraid of faceing your own kind? I have no probs with ppl helping out, but go ight your own kind if you Think its so fun

You haven't listen to a word in this forum. Enjoy my ignore list.

Seriously, I just un-ignored Tridus for not trolling, an you turn around and start? Grow up.

You haven't listen to a word in this forum. Enjoy my ignore list.

Seriously, I just un-ignored Tridus for not trolling, an you turn around and start? Grow up.

Yeah tridus actually gave me what I would call an apology. Props to him on that.

Why not remove PUGs instead? Make all teams be Premade, so all teams has a perfect balance of healers, tanks and dps?

(I suppose premade players will oppese this aswell, since they want to keep thier PUG stomping)

• Simplicity
  • Ease of Implementation
  • Cost Effectiveness

if im able to make an algortihm on my own in a few hours, what would stop an actual qualified developer from coming up with one, and then adding into the queue code?

granted i am not a programmer, but i have some limited experience with it. and i highly doubt that a matchmaking system would be either costly or time consuming to create.

take the RWZ system for example. it already has a rating system in place. the only needed change would require the queue to be changed from first-come-first-served to a system that seeks to match you with similarly ranked teams, slowly expands the search criteria until X time is reached and then it reverts to first-come-first served.

ffs, i spent a few hours with an excel spreadsheet and made an algorithm that would actually work. what makes you think that a qualified developer would require excessive time and funding to perform the same task?