Powertech, any good at dps?

jensensuspension

so from reading the forums and such i came to the conclusion that people are complaining about mercs survivability and that powertech can do just about as much damage while having a higher survivability rate, and i am new to the game so im wondering if this is true. I have never been a fan of tanking and i chose to go pyrotech dps and am wondering how well it does, or if i should go another route. I would prefer not to have to tank. any comments or suggestions to help out someone barely starting would be much appreciative. thanks

i'm sure i have read that Bioware wanted the DPS margin to be no more than 5% between AC's so i would assume the powertech can put out some decent dps.

i don't have any theorycrafted numbers to back this up, but i think i can find a quote from Bioware somewhere which confirms what i wrote above

I've played both Advanced Classes to at least 25. I understand its not max level, but I feel at 25 you have a good chunk of your abilities and can get a good understanding of how each Advanced Class functions and their potential.

Mercenary - This AC tends to be more of a 'support' class as PvP goes, this AC is also very range heavy if you spec arsenal, if you get a melee on you and can't keep him off, its game over in a 1v1 situation.

Powertech - In a PvP setting I heavily favor this AC. You can start and range and deal damage while closing the gap between you and your target. Once your in close, Powertech can hold their own against other melee class if played right. Another bonus is that with Flame Burst, you can kite melee and steal dish out decent damage. If you go 1v1 against a ranged opponent, you won't win at range, but fear not, Powertech has plenty of abilities to close the gap.

I know in this post I favor Powertech, but from what i've learned is Powertech has a better advantage in WZ that Merc.

Played Merc to 29, switched to Ptech, and Ptech is WAY more fun in PVP for many reasons, the chief of them being he does not rely on a dumb, stationary, stone-age and downright disgusting 1.5 sec nuke.

If you hate nukes with cast times, nevar go Merc. DPS is close enough to not matter, and Ptech has way more survivability, not to mention he gets teh jump AND grapple.

Edited by Urfinator