Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

The only thing that has performed consistently is their skill in proving I lack imagination when I try to think of the worst possible way something could be implemented. They really outdo anything I can dream up in that department.

I guess you are speaking of bugs, which indeed becomes more numerous in the last months.

What truly amazes me is whatever good on paper, any major feature they implement is always done in the worst possible angle. They also have a pattern of overdoing things. You'd thought over the years they'd learn. Hell no, once live whatever the overwhelming feedback, they keep playing the ostrich way.

See the Galactic command is a great concept that has been rigged with:

1. Too much RNG
  2. Looting the same set items many times
  3. Too many ranks
  4. Destroying the will to play alts
  5. More complexity for gearing than before
  6. Removal of naming convention logic: as now MK-5 > MK-3 > MK-15 > MK-13> MK-3

Edited by Deewe

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) They don't have to do anything.

2) They don't "owe" us anything.

3) They would create a lot of goodwill and cost them not a cent by extending the double XP/CXP event for a day or more.

Come on Keith, let it rain a little longer.

Edited by abigfishy

1) They don't have to do anything.

2) They don't "owe" us anything.

3) They would create a lot of goodwill and cost them not a cent by extending the double XP/CXP event for a day or more.

Come on Keith, let it rain a little longer.

Another day or two would be great, I'm not far off tier 2 on my Mara.......

Just for the record. The event wasn't extended. Dailies are still glitched.. but another day or two on event would have been nice. A day would have been fair - an extra 2 - 7 would have been them trying to make amends. I understand, when it comes to coding, problems happen. BW has apologized, they've owned up to it, apologizing consistently. In every way in that instance I am 100% pleased. I don't care about losing out on time so long as I get it back. If this had happened during regular gameplay, I wouldn't care in the slightest. However, since it was during an event, I would like the promised amount of event time. I don't want CC, pets, dyes, items. I have enough of that stuff. The 2x time is something I can't buy. Edited by Greggeh

Soooooo disappointing the double CXP event is over. I had really, really hoped they would give us at least another day to make up for the unexpected day of repairs they took from us for this event. :(

Oh well, I was in the middle of another mission, but when the double XP ended, so did I. Feel like they looted my mission rewards before I could get them now. :confused:

Oh well, guess the game is so much like real life, cause devs make it not fair. It they wanted to be fair, they'd give us another day of double c/xp. If they really wanted happy subscribers, they'd extend the event much longer, keep the extra CXP on the missions, and give everyone the same CC and pets which they temporarily dangled on the forum the day the game broke, but the codes didn't work for most people, if they even knew about it to try it. Gosh, I thought I'd gotten over that, but.. Oh well. It's not fair, and it's not fair to end the event after we lost a day to their repairs for an unscheduled update to kill the game.

Now, I am going to take a little break from the game - no, not leaving, so no one can have my stuff;), and enjoy my real life pets and people. Also, looking forward to the new Star Trek series on CBS, and the new Star Wars The Last Jedi movie coming soon. I hope this game has some new story coming soon, and more double c/xp, asap. We'll see.:)

You assume that everyone is an everyday player.

I am not saying that there are hundreds of people that only play on Thursday, but each individual's "daily cost" is a function of how many days they play.

The bottom line, though, is that people pay to play and so when they can not play they have a right to question the expense.

If I walk into a store and buy something that costs a dollar and the store charged me even a single penny more I would question the cashier on the cost. Yeah, yeah, I know what taxes are and I am taking them into account... 9% where I live so it should cost $1.09 but they charge me $1.10.

Am I supposed to just pay that and move on?

What if it was a dime? A quarter?

So how many hours of downtime matters to you? How do you arrive at that number? What makes that number matter but all lesser numbers not matter?

And if the daily cost is such a whole lot of nothing, then why not just add a day to all subs?

I'm on the same page here. I'm not asking for money, but I'm asking for fairness. I lost a day when the Servers were down and I had only a few hours of play time to spare. Once they were back, I had to move on with my IRL day. While the game does have a 99.99% update (or whatever) and can be played 24/7. it doesn't mean *I* can play 24/7. If the majority of the time I can play is when it is down, then I kinda get stiffed. Personally, I would have liked if they just continued 2x CXP for a few more hours. Even though I couldn't have used it (at work), at least others who were affected could have.

Really disappointed that basically an entire day was lost during their double xp "event" and they have done nothing to rectify or compensate us for the time lost. I see a good amount of the player base is also unhappy that it even went away to begin with, and I agree, the game is much more playable with the xp/cxp bonus turned on.

In addition, they are in the state that just had a hurricane and even if that particular area didn't have much damage a lot of people in Texas are out helping their neighbors that did get hit. Texas has a history of helping each other out even if it is not their particular town.

That is a generalization if I have ever seen one, and living in Texas my whole life has no evidence for this either. They may have some individuals that have family in that area, but no reason to call out the whole dev team for it.

Edited by Zemnexx

Well, considering it's a Tuesday after a three day weekend,they probably had a meeting to plan the rest of the week's meetings. Then break for lunch. Then after lunch, have a meeting to discuss what happened last week. All in all, a busy day. Maybe tomorrow's pre-lunch meeting they'll be able to get to the compensation bits. And after all that, Keith can write up the plans and CC the EA execs in other parts of the country for their review and approval - and then have a meeting to finalize those plans.

I used to work in government... ;)

Well, considering it's a Tuesday after a three day weekend,they probably had a meeting to plan the rest of the week's meetings. Then break for lunch. Then after lunch, have a meeting to discuss what happened last week. All in all, a busy day. Maybe tomorrow's pre-lunch meeting they'll be able to get to the compensation bits. And after all that, Keith can write up the plans and CC the EA execs in other parts of the country for their review and approval - and then have a meeting to finalize those plans.

I used to work in government... ;)

LOL! How very true.

Really disappointed that basically an entire day was lost during their double xp "event" and they have done nothing to rectify or compensate us for the time lost. I see a good amount of the player base is also unhappy that it even went away to begin with, and I agree, the game is much more playable with the xp/cxp bonus turned on.

That is a generalization if I have ever seen one, and living in Texas my whole life has no evidence for this either. They may have some individuals that have family in that area, but no reason to call out the whole dev team for it.

I was born and raised in Texas, Corpus Christi (until recently when I moved to SC) to be exact and from my dealings with people in Texas when people need help they don't stop and consider if they are family or not. They just help. And neither did I say the whole team, but some of the team may be helping. I know I had friends that lived in Corpus Christi that traveled up to Houston to help out, and they didn't have family up there, just something they do when a disaster like this happens.

Edited by casirabit

I was born and raised in Texas, Corpus Christi to be exact and from my dealings with people in Texas when people need help they don't stop and consider if they are family or not. They just help. And neither did I say the whole team, but some of the team may be helping, whether or not you take the time to help people there is something else. I know I had friends that lived in Corpus Christi that traveled up to Houston to help out, and they didn't have family up there, just something they do when a disaster like this happens.

You inferred that the helping out of those affected by the hurricane would affect

their capacity to implement compensation for the downtime, which would infer no one would be left to turn back on the xp/cxp bonus event. So yes, it was easily inferred you meant the whole of team was unavailable and that is why they have not responded. I lived in Corpus Christi for many years as well, so we can put our anecdotes aside as they contribute nothing, and so does whether I decided to go help as well. You can stop failing to grasp at the moral high ground. My statement is valid regardless, and I am much more inclined to believe the previous replies that they are still in the planning stages of what steps they are going to take.

Edited by Zemnexx

Players lost time today, especially in the EU, is anything being done?

Losing playtime is always painful, especially when there is a “double” event running and Dailies awarding crazy high CXP. I’m kicking around a variety of options with the team, as we want to apologize and reward your patience. Some of you have asked to have our Double XP/CXP event extended and others have asked us to keep the current CXP amounts for the Daily Areas. Others have asked for different compensation, and we’re looking at all options as the last couple weeks have been tough on all of us. We’ll lock down what exactly we’re doing and let you know in the coming days.

--Keith-

Hi

So it's been a lot longer than a few days now, so what are you going to do about compensating our downtime?

i hope you are not trying to just sweep this under the carpet and hope it goes away.

Hey everyone,

I want to start by apologizing for the unexpected and prolonged downtime today. This isn’t something we ever want to happen, but when it does, we take it seriously and do everything we can to resolve the issue or issues. We are adding additional processes to try and prevent this particular situation from happening again. Here’s essentially what took place today and what’s behind the long downtime:

What happened? Wasn’t this tested?

The issues we encountered were fairly complex, and having more than one just made things complicated. The first problem was the patch for our BitRaider and SSN launchers were inconsistent and ended up causing different issues after we took the servers out of maintenance. As a result, some of you actually received a game patch, while others didn’t get anything. You’d think we would catch that in our normal tests, but it was an oversight in our process which we have since corrected. The big issue was part of the patch that should have been included was missing data, so it was pulling information from 5.4 instead of 5.4a. The net result was a variety of issues – including some of the patch changes didn’t seem like they were deployed.

Although we extensively test all of our updates at all stages of the process, the missing parts just caused enough oddball problems, we had to take the game down again to figure out what was going on. In reality, had I been a little more patient, we would have caught the issues beforehand, yet the long downtime would not have been avoided. In addition, not everything we had planned to fix is actually included. For example, we have resolved the exploit with the Umbara Stronghold, but it didn’t make it in the 5.4a patch. Therefore, we have our normal infrastructure maintenance planned for next Wednesday, so our current plan is to deploy the change at that time. We implore you to not participate in this exploit as we don’t want any further disruptions in your game play.

Players lost time today, especially in the EU, is anything being done?

Losing playtime is always painful, especially when there is a “double” event running and Dailies awarding crazy high CXP. I’m kicking around a variety of options with the team, as we want to apologize and reward your patience. Some of you have asked to have our Double XP/CXP event extended and others have asked us to keep the current CXP amounts for the Daily Areas. Others have asked for different compensation, and we’re looking at all options as the last couple weeks have been tough on all of us. We’ll lock down what exactly we’re doing and let you know in the coming days.

Again, thank you all for your patience today.

--Keith-

keith you guys rock i love the story in this game but the bugged areas need to go it seems like a exploit .the double XP eveent should come back for one more week as we did lose a whole day of leveling new characters for story purpose and the story is what drives alot of players so please for me thats all i would ask ..and maybe the new road map ..rock on my friends

Hi

So it's been a lot longer than a few days now, so what are you going to do about compensating our downtime?

i hope you are not trying to just sweep this under the carpet and hope it goes away.

If they do that I'm leaving. It's one thing to not properly test their patches, thus creating an unscheduled maintenance that made us European players lose a whole prime time day. Completely another to then promise compensation for it, and then sweep it under the rug. I will wait though, but if we do not get one, my subscription is not being renewed, ever. How can I support a company that lies to me? We'll see.

If they do that I'm leaving. It's one thing to not properly test their patches, thus creating an unscheduled maintenance that made us European players lose a whole prime time day. Completely another to then promise compensation for it, and then sweep it under the rug. I will wait though, but if we do not get one, my subscription is not being renewed, ever. How can I support a company that lies to me? We'll see.

Not the first time they lie to us nor the last one lol. But i agree that without providing any compensation there is no sense to even communicate of them due to fact that they just dont care about swtor's player base. They just think that we are sheeps which could be shaved like they want without any complaints. Such downtimes are happening NOT THE FIRST time. Since the new crue took the control of swtor, players didnt receive any compensation for numerous downtimes.

See, to me (subscriber since the beginning) that doesn't do anything at all. Not that I'm waving a pitchfork around about compensation but extending my sub for one day just bumps the subscription date.

Wheee?

Maybe they should give all subs a mini pet in the shape of.... a bug.

Sigh, yeah, I went there.

Ditto. I haven't played since the 5.4a disaster, and was waiting to see how the situation was handled to decide whether to resub/continue playing. The fact that the FP system is a joke (no healer required, auto level 70 sync) and the significantly small number of active players coupled with the fact that as a tank 1x out of ten not only is the mesh of an enemy not visible, but there is also no way to target said invisible enemy. The FPs are a joke compared to WoW/FFXIV. The coding is poor and leads to significant stuttering on integrated graphips chipsets. Had to go into BIOS and allot far too much VRAM for any game to need and then add a 4gb stick to laptop to handle system services/processes just to get somewhat smooth gameplay. Starwars fan here, but this game failing is no falsity. I would have logged back in and played more if they had compensated for the inconvenience in a way other than XP. The leveling in this game is far to fast. *insert bleh emoticon here* (two new players not resubbing, thumbs up BW, you weasled another $30 from two apparently naive adults. If I play another MMO it will be my old fave. Not going to drop it's name, but it's hard sci-fi, and it's parent company may or may not be based in Iceland. Edited by AnnieLightJedi

What exactly did they do?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean what they did for us look at the recent dev tracker posts from Keith. Well, it's more what they will do for us. If you meant what happened? They had an improperly tested patch that went wrong, creating an unscheduled maintenance that made the game go down a whole day for Europeans (because it was the entire prime time might as well been 24 hours)

Edited by rustybook

Lol love when people critique a game or it's coding because it doesn't work well on their ****** integrated GPU. :rolleyes:

From intel's website:

"Dedicated Memory Reporting

The graphics driver now reports some amount of fictitious “dedicated” graphics memory to the operating system (128MB by default) to work around applications issues in a number of games. These games incorrectly look for some amount of “dedicated” graphics memory because they weren’t coded with the unified memory architecture for processor graphics.

The amount reported can be modified or disabled if desired by changing the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\GMM, create a REG_DWORD value named “DedicatedSegmentSize”. The value is interpreted as number of MB to report (0-512MB). A value of 0 disables reporting the dummy memory segment. If the registry key/value is not found, the driver will report the default 128MB."

The key phrase here being, 'these games incorrectly". The issue wasn't hard to fix, but saying that it isn't an issue with the game's code is obviously false. All other MMOs, and pretty much every other game I've played had no issues whatsoever on low/medium settings. So yeah, you're wrong, the code is reduntant, poor object oriented programming, and a lack of knowledge of interfacing with Intel chipsets.

Edited by AnnieLightJedi