Character Analysis: Galen Marek

Wolfninjajedi

Or for those of you who probably know him by his code name: Starkiller. So here is another analysis thread of the character Galen, am also gonna clear up some on this character to those that think he is all powerful when he really isn't.

=================

Galen Marek was the son of Kento and Mallie who grew attached during the Clone Wars and before the end secretly married. In doing so they became exiles, thus ironically saving their lives from Order 66 when it was issued and so the couple moved themselves to Kashyyk to live among the wookiees. The two then had a son named Galen, and being born from two jedi he was exceptionally powerful in the Force being more powerful then his parents though at some time his mother had died due to trandoshan slavers thus leaving Kento the responsibility in raising his son.

Years later Darth Vader invaded Kashyyk, having learned the whereabouts of a jedi being hidden among the wookiees. Kento fought against Vader, but was no match for the sith lord and before finishing him off Vader encountered his son with his saber being taken from him by the child. Killing his dad, and the imperial commander along with the stormtroopers Vader took the boy in as his secret apprentice and began to train him in the dark ways of the Force. Years pass, Galen's training with the dark lord was brutal if not almost fatal and upon completion Galen was sent out to track down Rahm Kota a jedi master who survived Order 66 thanks to not trusting clones and having his own force.

Upon meeting the jedi master, Kota saw into the future seeing himself and Galen before being blinded soon after Galen was sent to kill two other jedi masters one of which was jedi council member Shaak Ti. Sometime later, Galen was betrayed by Vader having never intended to overthrow the Emperor with him renouncing his dark path Galen began his journey to the light and to follow in his father's footsteps as a jedi knight.

==============

With Vader's training Galen became a powerful warrior, he specialized in Jyuo, Shien, and Soresu and he had a basic understanding of the other forms which helped him in identifying his opponent's style. His fighting style was aggressive, and also unpredictable however this also led him open to attacks. He was exceptionally powerful in the Force, with the potential to become one of the most powerful Force users of all time, he was powerful with telekensis, and force lighting also being skilled with mind trick and force speed.

=========

Now to clear up something, he isn't a Mary/Gary sue by any means. For some reason or another, people take the games as more canon then the books(which came out before the game). So people need to understand that while in the game, Galen was a force wrecking ball(hence the title UNLEASHED) in the novels his powers are much more tame and toned down, to add he barely won against Vader in his fight.

More to that point, he didn't pull a Star Destroyer out of the sky. The Destroyer was already falling, and Galen was guiding it down as to slow its descent. To add, it severely drained him yet some seem to act as if he did it without breaking a sweat.

But lets say for instance that he did rip it out of the sky, now why does that make him a Gary/Mary sue? He had intense training from Darth Vader, he is suppose to be who Luke would have been had he turned to the darkside. More to that, did everyone forget what Yoda said?

"Size matters not."

So if size doesn't matter with the Force, then why does everyone think that it would be impossible for Galen to pull down a destroyer anyway? I know someone is gonna bring Luke up and his X-wing and how he couldn't lift it....see that would be a valid point, except that Luke was still in training and that he wasn't fully confident in himself to lift up the ship.

Whereas Galen, you have the opposite who was trained since he was a child by one of the most powerful sith lord's ever. By the time he came to be where he was now, he was a fully trained warrior compared to Luke at the time who wasn't.

But again, another thing I don't get. People say he is a Mary/Gary sue, yet what he does seems like childs play compared to what Luke/Palpatine do in the EU...

=========

Anyway sorry for the long read, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Really great read :). I pretty much agree with everything you said and I personally don't think Galen/Starkiller is a Mary Sue. I mean, just look at the book. As an example, his fight with Shaak Ti. She almost beat him and he only won through luck.

Galen is probably one of my favorite characters from the EU, its sad to see so many people claim he is a mary sue. Sure he was powerful, but he was scrawny and has major trouble with anything that is resistant to the force. (this is shown in the first game by making the giant cyborg troopers major pains to fight) and he was incredibly shortsighted.

Also, seriously they way over-emphasize the whole star destroyer thing, while ignoring some of the more insane things done by other characters in the EU. (Luke assembled a castle with the force without breaking a sweat, Palpatine could annihilate entire fleets with a wave of his hand, the sith emperor ate the population of an entire planet to gain immortality)

Good read and I fully agree with everything you said. He's not even close to a Mary/Gary sue. People who don't read the novel see the game, and its events, as canon. The uber-powerful Force powers were meant to make the game fun.

Tossing a Stormtrooper up and then waiting a good 30 seconds for him to come back down is always fun. :D

Good read and I fully agree with everything you said. He's not even close to a Mary/Gary sue. People who don't read the novel see the game, and its events, as canon. The uber-powerful Force powers were meant to make the game fun.

Tossing a Stormtrooper up and then waiting a good 30 seconds for him to come back down is always fun. :D

That is always fun, or bashing them into a wall a few times.

That is always fun, or bashing them into a wall a few times.

I actually made a chain of, I think, four Stormtroopers on the Tie Factory and dropped them down one of those bottomless pits around the mid-point of the level.

Either that or I drop crates on them lol. :D

I actually made a chain of, I think, four Stormtroopers on the Tie Factory and dropped them down one of those bottomless pits around the mid-point of the level.

Either that or I drop crates on them lol. :D

I remember in TFU 1 I glitched God Mode and was able to do things I shouldn't have (Lift purge troopers [more than 1 at a time] like dolls, and lift practically anything around me at once [somthing that should have been a completely new skill in TFU 2).

=========================

I 100% love what the OP wrote, yet it didn't really go about his death and cloning; and his trials on Coruscant.

Edited by Eillack

I remember in TFU 1 I glitched God Mode and was able to do things I shouldn't have (Lift purge troopers [more than 1 at a time] like dolls, and lift practically anything around me at once [somthing that should have been a completely new skill in TFU 2).

=========================

I 100% love what the OP wrote, yet it didn't really go about his death and cloning; and his trials on Coruscant.

Ya was really just crunching it down into something readable, didn't wanna have this long wall of a text that no one would read.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi