LOTRO or STO?

Chessrook

No this is not a question regarding the games themselves, not exactly. What I'm curious about is the model that TOR is going to take when it makes the transfer.

LOTRO lets you play the main quest to max level with no restrictions. However, sidequests must be purchased in Area Packs in the store (For example, a Trollshaws quest pack). This enabled people to get to max level easily, but they missed out on all the sidequests.

STO, meanwhile, along with many other MMOs that have made the transition (CO, DCUO) allowed players to access ALL sidequests and similar content right from the get-go, not having to purchase packages like LOTRO and DDO did.

So which do you think we'll get? Will we be able to play everything? Or will we need to purchase "Planet packs" to access the sidequests or bonus questlines on each planet? Will TOR follow LOTRO, or will it follow STO?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For more information about the restrictions free players will encounter, you can check out this page: http://www.swtor.com/free/features.

Thank you, but, that still doesn't answer the question. It DOES say that the Class Stories are fully accessed, but it says NOTHING about PLANET stories, or random sidequests, bonus storylines or the like. THAT is what I'm asking about.

We're getting the full class storylines. And we're clearly getting access to go to all the planets. But will we be able to do the QUESTS on all those planets? THAT'S what I want to know.

Seems like a mix of both, or rather, neither.

From what I can tell, you get all the content up to level 50. (Higher level content might have to be purchased by F2P). But then there's stranger restrictions that are undefined, like travel, limited access to warzones/flashpoints. I'm guessing Operations will have to be purchased.

Most of it's meaningless until we know how much things will actually cost. Will F2P be able to unlock permanent access to certain features like unlimited warzones, or will it be a constant drain for every extra warzone a player wants to run that week.

Thank you, but, that still doesn't answer the question. It DOES say that the Class Stories are fully accessed, but it says NOTHING about PLANET stories, or random sidequests, bonus storylines or the like. THAT is what I'm asking about.

We're getting the full class storylines. And we're clearly getting access to go to all the planets. But will we be able to do the QUESTS on all those planets? THAT'S what I want to know.

Our plan is to include significantly all of the currently available mission content between levels 1-50 for free players. We remain committed to the idea that free players should be able to play the game significantly from 1 to 50 and should be able to enjoy the entirety of their core class arc, and the vast majority of the high quality Bioware mission content along the way.

Our plan is to include significantly all of the currently available mission content between levels 1-50 for free players. We remain committed to the idea that free players should be able to play the game significantly from 1 to 50 and should be able to enjoy the entirety of their core class arc, and the vast majority of the high quality Bioware mission content along the way.

Question will the level cap be raised above 50?

This is Bioware's way of answering your question WITHOUT answering the question... It's like they don't even bother to read what you were actually asking and just saw "a question!... well I better refer them to the FAQ page!" Just another perfect example of the company not actually listening to anyone and rubber stamping all their responses

What does "significantly all" mean? Is it ALL of the missions or not?

Holy crap... an actual answer from BioWare?! It's been ages.

I wish I could say it gave me a warm fuzzy to finally get some visibility into the future... but it also just makes me bitter it took you guys this long just to show up and fill us in.

This is Bioware's way of answering your question WITHOUT answering the question... It's like they don't even bother to read what you were actually asking and just saw "a question!... well I better refer them to the FAQ page!" Just another perfect example of the company not actually listening to anyone and rubber stamping all their responses

And yet Joveth just answered his question.

Do you actually get how flawed this business model is ?

The strong part of Swtor is the fully voiced core game with the character storyline - the part you are giving away for free.

The weak part of Swtor are the lackluster and badly done operations and the imbalanced pvp on it's tiny minigolf courses - and you think you can charge for this. Which is especially funny because a highly anticipated f2p (except for the box) pvp-centered mmo only 3 weeks away. Who would pay to pvp in Swtor when he can pvp in a game which offers a far superior experience ??

I can only assume this means you plan on following the STO model instead of the LOTRO model, at least from what I can make out.

I can only assume this means you plan on following the STO model instead of the LOTRO model, at least from what I can make out.

I believe so as well, based on the OP's description (I play LotRO, do not play STO).

It does sound like they are reserving the "all" status though, and referring to the "almost all". not sure if that means that there are some smaller side quests or arcs that aren't accessible, or if they simply plan on allowing themselves an out for seasonal stuff, or the rare quest hub that may pop up out of the woodwork.

It does sound like yoru average free player will have access to enough of the quests that you wont be skipping planets due to lack of access. My big question is crafting. Can i start a free account, and use my free toons to craft with? or is crafting unlocked via coins? (I may have missed that point in the FAQ's, but I didn't see it)

F2P players get no access to Operations and limited access to flashpoints, Warzones, Vehicles and Character Customization..... But get access to all Quests in the game... That's how I read it..

And if you want to do Operations I assume there will be some sort of package that you can buy that will give you access to Operations for a month for say $9.99.... That's usually how F2P works..

Edited by Monoth

You really don't want them to follow the STO model which looks like it's to milk the game for all you can, screw over anyone that subed before F2p and make people pay large amount for very small pre toon items that add very little.

NIETHER I hope!

STO has adds for their C-Store everywhere! Their "updates" ...the C-store 90% of the time. Their blogs...a new product on the C-store 99% of the time....STO died when it hit F2P, tons left that game for a good reason.

Edited by Eillack

And I am afraid this is even worse. When you parse this statement there are a lot of holes and questions left. But, again, thank you for trying. I appreciate you trying to do that much, at least.

And I am afraid this is even worse. When you parse this statement there are a lot of holes and questions left. But, again, thank you for trying. I appreciate you trying to do that much, at least.

Stop parsing then and wait for them to announce more details. :rolleyes:

Respectfully, this game has the most impatient, needy, whiny forum membership I have ever seen. What happened to patience???

So if we dont run ops then what is the point of paying? We can level our characters do all the quests etc. What is the incentive to pay per month?

Limited amount of Warzones per week (unless you subscribe)

.... that's enough to make me subscribe, not sure about you guys.