Announcing ‘Onslaught’, the Newest Expansion Coming to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

DanielSteed

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping for more interaction with the companion characters. Both those who returned during KOTFE and KOTET, after, and during onslaught (Kira?). I would especially appreciate the ability for DS Troopers to patch things up with Elara since is in messed up that out of the blue choices we made years prior lead to us not being able recruit her back Edited by EarlWhiteHaven

W

- Remove Command Rank:cool:

The Spoils of War

Our philosophy for this expansion is, play your way. Items have always been an important part of your character’s identity, but for the first time we are offering true depth and choice with exciting new items that let you decide how to play in the upcoming battle.

One of the ways that we’re adding this depth is with an entirely new type of gear slot – Tactical items. These build-defining items directly alter your abilities and playstyle. Taking these new items, players will be able to pair them with numerous new set bonuses to choose from, including general sets that can be used by everyone.

These item sets can be acquired through multiple paths. Acquire your gear no matter how you choose to play: Player vs Environment, Player vs Player, Galactic Command, and Crafting are all viable. New set items, Tactical items, and more open a pathway to limitless depth allowing you to play your character exactly how you want!

"the best", no, not by a longshot, the story was dull and was more cutscene than gameplay, and i'm here to play a game not watch a film. the little gameplay inbetween the episodes of keeping up with the valkorians consisted of killing skiytroopers over, and over and over and over with maybe one of those horizon guards (gUaRdS) or a zakuul knight,

also remember, there are more than just story players who play this game, all of which were ignored for long stretches of time.

Enough of this constant bickering between groups of players. This is what we actually don't need. Everyone has a style of play and everyone should be accounted for. This constant bickering between pvp, pve, story, etc needs to stop.

also bring more GSF stuff out with some gsf pve missions!

QFE!!

I've been hoping for PVE GSF for years and tbh i never understood why there wasn't just at least some type of simple PVE 'Training' mission (repeatable) or at the very least, allow us to access each pvp zone/map but solo just to train and get acclimated to each Map.

Please. :D

I so agree with a GSF training area--one that allows you to try and hit rapidly moving targets. I've never got the hang of that and really don't like holding my group back while I learn.

That said, I am looking forward to 6.0! I love how you are giving your players an increasingly active role in the creation of the game we play. The ability to tweak our gear to suit our style sounds wonderful!

I've watched as each new patch adds something to the game--better graphics, more depth of characterisation (yes, Darth Malgus, I'm looking at you), and surprising "throw-away" things to discover such as a bird's nest with eggs or an unexpected loot chest in an area on Ossus where few players would ever be. Not to mention the ability to design personal PvP areas, transform into a Wookie or a Hutt (temporarily) or permanently become a Nautolan (high on my wish list). I think you are doing wonderful things, indeed, and am confident September will exceed my already high expectations.

Speaking of tweaking gear, I have one request. A covert head armour piece. If you can make hoods disappear with a narrow head band, why not with an invisible one? Oh! and an e-mote for leaning against something with arms crossed. We will get the hang of it just as we learn to sit on chairs. These little things would mean a lot!

The little details we got on the gearing sounds amazing and the concept art for the new areas looks awesome. Everything that has been going on with the game lately has been in a great direction. Nice course correct. September can't come soon enough. Edited by IstariZen

"the best", no, not by a longshot, the story was dull and was more cutscene than gameplay, and i'm here to play a game not watch a film. the little gameplay inbetween the episodes of keeping up with the valkorians consisted of killing skiytroopers over, and over and over and over with maybe one of those horizon guards (gUaRdS) or a zakuul knight,

also remember, there are more than just story players who play this game, all of which were ignored for long stretches of time.

Why don't you go play World of Warcraft? That's not a snotty response. I mean that as a serious question. The only thing that SWTOR has over other big MMOs like FF14 or WoW is the gigantic, fully voiced, cinematic story. That's it. If that's not interesting to you, wouldn't a game like WoW serve you better? If all you care about is gameplay content, then WoW has like 10 times more of that than SWTOR does.

The story is all that keeps this game alive.

Why don't you go play World of Warcraft? That's not a snotty response. I mean that as a serious question. The only thing that SWTOR has over other big MMOs like FF14 or WoW is the gigantic, fully voiced, cinematic story. That's it. If that's not interesting to you, wouldn't a game like WoW serve you better? If all you care about is gameplay content, then WoW has like 10 times more of that than SWTOR does.

To be honest, as someone that plays both FF14 and this game, the post launch story in that game blows this one's out of the water. Not to mention all of the single player games that do story much better.

You are 100% wrong.

Enough of this constant bickering between groups of players. This is what we actually don't need. Everyone has a style of play and everyone should be accounted for. This constant bickering between pvp, pve, story, etc needs to stop.

Well said.

To be honest, as someone that plays both FF14 and this game, the post launch story in that game blows this one's out of the water. Not to mention all of the single player games that do story much better.

You are 100% wrong.

I have to agree with Dewlmenow - the story in SWTOR being fully voiced WAS the thing that set it apart from others, but they have been putting in so little of even that lately that Final Fantasy and WoW have both run circles around SWTOR in recent years. There is more story in a small content patch at WoW than there has been in SWTOR for the last two years... and not only that but lots of threads of story everywhere in the main storyline, the war campaign, etc. Final Fantasy also has great story, even if it isn't all voice acted the way SWTOR is.

I love SWTOR also - but they just plain have not put enough effort into the game and have not produced enough NEW CONTENT in the last few years to be anything special. Reworking gearing systems for the billionth time is not content. When you have to play through 6 and 7 year old content to get that new gear, or are limited to the ONE new planet and have to stick to repeating the same dailies and world boss kills for months as the only way to get gear... it's nothing to brag about. Many games have been doing all of this much better than SWTOR.

I hope Onslaught will prove to be the return of decent sized content releases, AT LEAST once per year. That's really kind of the minimum for me to pay $180 in subscription fees and feel like I'm getting my money's worth. The little updates are fine and all, but are absolutely NOT a replacement for a good, old-fashioned, meaty expansion that takes more than 20 minutes to play through completely.

I think those that are making specific lists of what you want in the game are dreaming. You must realize that they are likely not capable of going beyond the scope of what they have announced. Giving feedback about those items specifically is probably a good idea, but proposing a whole slew of other stuff they need to do in 6.0 is just setting yourself up to be disappointed, honestly.

However, new open world/non-instanced planets (Onderon, Mek-sha), a Flashpoint on Corellia, an Operation in another new location (I suspect Dxun will be instanced to operation-only) and a storyline for Imp and Republic that is separate for factions/saboteurs, PLUS a new playable character species is more than I thought we'd see from SWTOR this year and I'll be glad to be pleasantly surprised if we get even more than that in little updates here and there in between.

All of this sounds good, but I will not be holding out any hope until after it is in the game, didn't break 80% of the rest of the game upon implementation, and isn't over in the blink of an eye leaving us all to wait another year (or three) for more to come.

I also kinda hope there won't be nothing new added to the game between now and then, because adding all of that to the smidgen of content we've gotten this year so far adds up to be a little... lacking.

As I've said before, I'm from Missouri: The Show Me State. Show me, and I will believe. I will sing your praises, even. The increase in communication around here has been good. Let's see if it stays that way while they "ask for feedback" on yet ANOTHER major overhaul to the gearing system. But I'll at least give them a chance to get it right before I say anything else about it.

Show me, Bioware!

What is everyone excited for?

I will be most excited when the gearing system is announced and getting top end pvp gear ends up being just a smooth as it was in 4.0 so that we can go back to playing multiple endgame toons. Oh and, also still waiting for the announcement of the Huttballl League!

Hi there i was wondering (surely im not the only one), if there will be a chance to divorce myself completely from being the "Alliance" commander and return to my roots, so to speak. I would like for an option that would see me quit the Alliance and go back to either the Empire or Republic. I am one of the many that left the game because the content in KOTET and KOTFE was just borderline stupid/unbelievable. Please tell me there will be an option to QUIT THE ALLIANCE?

Today we are happy to announce our next expansion - Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught! The expansion will launch free for all subscribers this September. New planets, flashpoint, Operation, large itemization changes codenamed “The Spoils of War” and more will be featured in this expansion! You can learn all about Onslaught in our Expansion Announcement article, here.

In honor of our Celebration Cantina we are sharing with everyone a redeemable code: SWCELEBRATION19. Simply redeem that code on your account for a Celebration inspired character flair and four stronghold decorations.

What is everyone excited for?

UMMM EVERYTHING!! Bummer not seeing you at the Cantina though!

I'm really happy to see a more classic-looking expansion. Like others, I hope there are some quests and open areas. Even something like the quests we had for Rishi or Yavin 4 would be better than no quests.

I hope that the expac will do more to emphasize legacy content. The Alliance Base not being legacy-wide progress was rough for alt-lovers, especially coming to the game very post-KOTFE.

Please bring back old companions like Kira, and PLEASE have some romance scenes featuring our previous relationships. I love Theron, no doubt, (and Arcann!) but I also love Corso, Jorgan, Doc, Torian, Vector, and Andronikos.

So excited for the Nautolan! I'm trying to decide which class/faction would be good for that race. :p

• Dev Post
Please provide more info with the gearing system. Every gear system you implement made it worse than before. Legacy gears is not a problem. This time listen to the community, and develop with them, not against them

There will be a lot more information coming around gearing in the coming weeks and months. Not only that but we will be having a lot of conversations via feedback threads, PTS, etc. We are making some pretty substantial changes and we want to make sure we get it right so be sure to continue to share your thoughts.

-eric

There will be a lot more information coming around gearing in the coming weeks and months. Not only that but we will be having a lot of conversations via feedback threads, PTS, etc. We are making some pretty substantial changes and we want to make sure we get it right so be sure to continue to share your thoughts.

-eric

...... Your always respond to the feedback of the players ...:rolleyes: I only say Ossus. *cough*

Hey Eric and Keith,

Great work at the Cantina and the announcement for Onslaught was awesome.

I have one simple question if you have the time to answer. It is regarding Companions.

We have accumulated so many awesome Companions in the past 5 years is there any thing planed in the future for us to do something with them outside of just crafting or questing? A cool new Meta game around them would be super fun?

Thanks,

Saks

Who said i don't play world of warcraft huh? Also if story is what keeps this game alive then why did loads of servers die when they released STORY based expansions? Funny that isn't it. The thing you all like to tell us keeps this game alive did nothing but pull it down.

-eric

It would be really nice to have some "Training Operations" included. Personally the flashpoint arcs for Revan and Malgus on each side could be use to make 2 lower level ops (35 and 45 scaled as applicable). They could be reworked to be help tanks learn to keep aggro, healers deal with intensive fights and DPS do damage with mechanics. At the same be rather forgiving. Other games have tutorial style ops/ flash point equivalent. I think overall it would make it more enjoyable so people don't go into ops and then get yelled at for not doing something.