What is your most "social" experience in SWTOR thus far?

oredith

I feel like I missed something really big by missing the rakghoul event. I was away on family emergency and completely missed the event (got back on the very last day).

Was that the most (OPPOSITE FACTION) social it's been in game?

I've only played SWG and WoW as MMO, so my experience is limited as far as the broad spectrum of MMO, but I think those two were the major hitters for their time. I felt SWG was an incredibly social game (a lot of it due to lack of content, but incredibly robust crafting). WoW was a step back, since the factions congregated at their capitol cities, but there were still a ton of shared zones (massive pvp griefing at the BWL entrance, or AQ opening, etc).

however, with ToR, i just haven't really gotten that feeling. I have only played imperial (i'm not one for alts) - Outside of warzones, I honestly think I can count on 1 hand, the number of republic i've seen out in the world. I'm on The Harbinger, the heaviest populated server on the west coast.

I guess I'm saying, the social aspect is really lacking. BUT, i would love to hear some other people's story about their own experience. maybe there's something I'm missing out on.

one suggestion I would make, would be to make zone-ins for operations on a planet, so that both factions would congregate there. At least then, our /say would work, and we can actually communicate with the opposite side.

Edited by oredith

I feel like I missed something really big by missing the rakghoul event. I was away on family emergency and completely missed the event (got back on the very last day).

Was that the most social it's been in game?

In terms of large-scale community building I think that has been the most social. However, smaller scale social events are required to do flashpoints and heroics.

I think the only times I've had as much "fun" as I did interacting with folks with the rakghoul event was A) a time I found two peeps who (LIKE ME!) couldn't find a group to help with the bonus heroics so we teamed up and did an entire planet together in one night; and B) early on when I had 15 active members of my Guild.

I've only played SWG and WoW as MMO, so my experience is limited as far as the broad spectrum of MMO, but I think those two were the major hitters for their time. I felt SWG was an incredibly social game (a lot of it due to lack of content, but incredibly robust crafting). WoW was a step back, since the factions congregated at their capitol cities, but there were still a ton of shared zones (massive pvp griefing at the BWL entrance, or AQ opening, etc).

Can't comment re: "That Game" but you are right abuot SWG. Came down to the player cities and, despite all my other frustrations with that game, I haven't seen another game replicate the fun of interacting with folks to a common purpose.

however, with ToR, i just haven't really gotten that feeling. I have only played imperial (i'm not one for alts) - Outside of warzones, I honestly think I can count on 1 hand, the number of republic i've seen out in the world. I'm on The Harbinger, the heaviest populated server on the west coast.

Eh? I'm on Shein and there is typically more than (1 hand) worth of people on planets. Usually around 20, and 75+100 on fleet on any given time. Goes for republic and sith. FUNNILY enough, there are slightly less people playing republic but it is easier to find a group ;).

I guess I'm saying, the social aspect is really lacking. BUT, i would love to hear some other people's story about their own experience. maybe there's something I'm missing out on.

It is there. I think my biggest frustration is that everybody is looking for groups but nobody responds to LFG shouts in chat. Because it goes by too quickly and nobody uses the LFG funtion.

I would suggest building a larger friend base and sending out whispers when you want to do something together (I will go to another planet to help out a friend and many of my friends would do it for me).

- Arcada

Well, you are on a PvE server for one thing, so that may make a difference in the sides desiring interaction with each other. I am an altoholic, and I end up leveling many characters at once, so haven't reached any of the dual Faction planets outside of Tatooine during the Rak Plague event (rushed a temp char through to be able to get to the Vendor). From what I saw there, the Factions have their own camps, so for me, it's not really conducive to much interaction unless you are looking for a PvP fight.

Another part of the problem stems from some servers being heavily populated by one faction and not the other. Despite being a high population server, the Harbinger may be skewed more towards the Imp side, so less of a chance of seeing the Pubs out in the open outside of PvP zones.

BJ

I have 3 "archenemies" on my server. ;) My main is a Jedi Seer, 50th level. I found a Sith that had a player willing to roleplay with me. We PVP'ed in the Tatooine desert and decided to become "archenemies" to one another. Whenever he's online, we try to meet up for roleplaying and PVP'ing. I made another enemy out of a Darth during the Rakghoul event. He writes me roleplaying emails filled with snark and I respond in kind. We've met up for PVP a couple of times, too.

And I recently found out that one of my enemies put a "bounty" out on my head, so a bounty hunter is trying to kill my Jedi Consular now. ;)

OH YEAH. I'm enjoying the heck out of this game, but I've been very lucky..I've met other players who WANT to be social.

For me, the largest opposite faction event thus far is the Plague Event. It was great to see other people in the same area and the potential of world pvp, even though it never happened, was fun. Working with the other faction to take down the bosses was great.

I play on a PvE server (Jedi Covenant), PvP doesn't interest me, I don't roleplay and I'm not in a guild. I rarely have interactions with the opposite faction but it's by choice. When I play a republic character, I socialize with other republic players. The same thing applies with my empire characters.

I remember one moment with the opposite faction though: it was my first time on Tattooine and I was hunting for datacrons. I (republic commando) was waiting for the hot air balloon and there were other players near me including some empire players. Because that trip was quite long, we had the time to chat. I enjoyed it.

In resume, if I would really want to have more social interactions with the opposite faction, it'd be really easy. I don't do it by choice, that's all.

I guess I really miss the feel of Coronet, Theed, or Anchorhead from SWG. especially Coronet cantina. it's like general chat, except you can be face to face, so to speak.

you weren't segregated based upon your alignment...

it's also impossible to raid opposite faction strongholds.. I guess we can raid each other's posts on tat, but that's mostly pointless since it's just a bunch of NPC, or people questing. it's not like we can raid each other's fleet. >_<

Definitely the Rakghoul event, both during my gankfest when people complained about me in general and sent more imps to try to find where I was stealthed (trashtalk involved), and in the friendly social time when both imps and reps hung out around the vendor during the last day of the event. That way everyone could get their crystals. (Even though I heard some servers had a faction who would "lock out" the other to prevent them from accessing the vendor, which was a major DM, imo.)

Anyway, for those little encounters, I'm glad BW doesn't scramble our speech the way WoW does.

I guess I really miss the feel of Coronet, Theed, or Anchorhead from SWG. especially Coronet cantina. it's like general chat, except you can be face to face, so to speak.

you weren't segregated based upon your alignment...

it's also impossible to raid opposite faction strongholds.. I guess we can raid each other's posts on tat, but that's mostly pointless since it's just a bunch of NPC, or people questing. it's not like we can raid each other's fleet. >_<

Take a trip to Nar Shaddaa. Both Imps and Republics congregate in the Promenade. At first I didn't think they co-existed in the same instance of the Promenade... until I saw a Juggernaut run past me while I was playing my Consular. But yeah, I think the segregation is planet dependent. On Tat it makes sense because it wouldn't make sense for, say, a Jedi to be running around an Imp Controlled City and vice versa. However, on a planet like Nar Shadda, where its 'government' is so corrupt that it operates much like it inhabitants (favors whoever makes the best offer... and not to mention its pretty much run by criminal gangs anyway), it makes more sense that both Imp and Republics would use the same Spaceport.

Take a trip to Nar Shaddaa. Both Imps and Republics congregate in the Promenade. At first I didn't think they co-existed in the same instance of the Promenade... until I saw a Juggernaut run past me while I was playing my Consular. But yeah, I think the segregation is planet dependent. On Tat it makes sense because it wouldn't make sense for, say, a Jedi to be running around an Imp Controlled City and vice versa. However, on a planet like Nar Shadda, where its 'government' is so corrupt that it operates much like it inhabitants (favors whoever makes the best offer... and not to mention its pretty much run by criminal gangs anyway), it makes more sense that both Imp and Republics would use the same Spaceport.
I understand that the IDEA behind Nar Shaddaa, but the reality of it is different. it takes a long run to get to the promenade (and you can't use your speeder), and once there, it's dead.

again, i'm on Harbinger, highest pop PVE west server, and it's DEAD during primetime.

maybe if they put all the flashpoint zone-ins at NS.

Outside of Illum, ive never seen an Imp on a planet...:eek:

But I do remember a time, long ago, when 50+ guildies would login; multiple huttball matches, some ops, always groups for daily farming. Now its like 8-12 max during prime time, with 8 in an op, one and done, usually under 40 mins.

Edited by Bluetickone

I understand that the IDEA behind Nar Shaddaa, but the reality of it is different. it takes a long run to get to the promenade (and you can't use your speeder), and once there, it's dead.

again, i'm on Harbinger, highest pop PVE west server, and it's DEAD during primetime.

Or if they had a training mission for the Hutt Cartel. It's amazing how many people don't realize that there's a mixed faction trade network in the promenade. :rolleyes:

Uh... The Promenade is the first area you go to once you get off your ship. You know, the place with all the Trainers and Vendors?

Uh... The Promenade is the first area you go to once you get off your ship. You know, the place with all the Trainers and Vendors?

yes, but you have to first run out of the starport, then take a shuttle, and then run around the building to the entrance, all without the speeder.

Hydian Way hasnt been much for social work unfortunetly but the Rakghoul event brought everyone together.

Not much time for chatting it seems everyone wants to quest and not be social. By the God Emperor its real life! everyone rushing around and not being social!

What a interesting revelation..:rolleyes:

I had a fun Jawa balloon ride on Tatooine as a Sith with a Jedi and a naive little Republic trooper.

That was about it.

This is an incredibly dead MMO, with both the game and players to blame. I find it be structurally more of a single-player game, with little to facilitate or encourage cross-faction interaction (or even within factions). Congregating places are hard to get to and unadvertised. Maybe something about the material or the broad appeal of a famous brand name draws people with no interest in interaction. Maybe the enormous lore already in place in the Star Wars universe discourages creativity.

All I know is, I had good irl friends on the opposite faction and I couldn't do much with them even when I tried.

I've played through a couple of group quests (one on Dromund Kaas back when this game first came out, and later on at Nar Shaddaa), but that's about it other than PvP.

After seeing what some of the people on the fleet act like though, I tend to keep my distance from that part of the social aspect. I still enjoy PvP though, and if there were more people around I'd love to do group questso occasionally.

• 3 months later...

Does feel a little like East and West Germany. You may not speak to the other faction...I think this game's social aspects are what's killing it sadly. I want to interact rolepaly with others, that usally works better with the opposite faction as your enemies plain and simple there's more to talk about :) There needs to be social zones or areas where players congrigate besides pvp. It's all one big themepark grind (yes it's a themepark mmo like Wow) but it can offer more.

Makes cantinas a hub offer xp for social events like friday night's in specific neutral cantinas etc...something fun

Does feel a little like East and West Germany. You may not speak to the other faction...I think this game's social aspects are what's killing it sadly. I want to interact rolepaly with others, that usally works better with the opposite faction as your enemies plain and simple there's more to talk about :) There needs to be social zones or areas where players congrigate besides pvp. It's all one big themepark grind (yes it's a themepark mmo like Wow) but it can offer more.

Makes cantinas a hub offer xp for social events like friday night's in specific neutral cantinas etc...something fun

I like this idea. Places like Nar Shadaa are supposed to be neutral territory...make it somewhere the two factions can actually interact and communicate with one another?

Places like Nar Shadaa are supposed to be neutral territory...make it somewhere the two factions can actually interact and communicate with one another?

I've been wishing for this a lot lately what with my main camped out in the Slippery Slopes cantina while I level yet more alts, leaving now and then to make runs to the GTN terminals. I see about a 50-50 faction split almost every time I log in there but with no means of interacting (PvE server) it's like people-watching at a mall :rolleyes:

The most social opposite-faction experience I've had was as others have expressed- during the rak plague. And that was on a ghost server. It was wonderful to fly out to the crash site and see both factions gathered there (hell, just to see anyone at all was heartening). Fond memories of that.