Unlock Legacy Member as Companion

Elfa

A recent thread reminded me how cool this would be. I brought up the idea years ago, but now it seems more possible with the Cartel System.

The idea is to be able to unlock one of your alt characters as a companion. Use my Marauder as a companion to my Sorc or Have my Powertech act as tank for my Op healer. They would be AI controlled of course and unless you had Legacy gear, you'd have to re-gear them as a companion, but think of the possibilities to truly bring together the Legacy.

This would be a Legacy perk after all that you purchased with Cartel Coins and you'd have to purchase a slot for each Legacy member you wanted to add as a companion. These companions wouldn't hang out on your ship, have affection or conversations like standard companions though since they have their own lives and are already part of your Legacy.

Also, think of how it could bring use back to the often maligned alignment system. Like for instance only a Jedi with full Dark Side points could be used as a companion on an Imperial character or fully Light Side Bounty Hunter working with your Trooper. Just an idea of course, but it opens the whole system to more possibilities.

I LOVE this idea. I would definitely shell out money for cartel coins if they did this. As things stand, I don't have much use for buying further cartel coins except maybe once for a small amount to character-unlock an item or two. Not only would this make them plenty of extra money, it would make a LOT of people happy (looking at you, role players - since this would allow use of companions during RP without causing confusion about stories). It would also allow for a more personalized team dynamic with companions. They have voices recorded for the classes so they don't need to pay for more voice-acting. Companions don't say much outside cut-scenes so they could just use a handful of lines from the class story. Example: a Sith Warrior companion could say "You have been most helpful" when you give them a companion gift. I can see this happening. This is a 10/10 idea, man. Brilliant!

A recent thread reminded me how cool this would be. I brought up the idea years ago, but now it seems more possible with the Cartel System.

The idea is to be able to unlock one of your alt characters as a companion. Use my Marauder as a companion to my Sorc or Have my Powertech act as tank for my Op healer. They would be AI controlled of course and unless you had Legacy gear, you'd have to re-gear them as a companion, but think of the possibilities to truly bring together the Legacy.

This would be a Legacy perk after all that you purchased with Cartel Coins and you'd have to purchase a slot for each Legacy member you wanted to add as a companion. These companions wouldn't hang out on your ship, have affection or conversations like standard companions though since they have their own lives and are already part of your Legacy.

Also, think of how it could bring use back to the often maligned alignment system. Like for instance only a Jedi with full Dark Side points could be used as a companion on an Imperial character or fully Light Side Bounty Hunter working with your Trooper. Just an idea of course, but it opens the whole system to more possibilities.

Nice to see somebody bringing back the idea :)

Its a really great idea and you put in-depth details :D

Yea I would definitely pay CC for an unlock like this, most companions are either boring or useless. This leaves me stuck playing treek the only companion i deem worthy for my dps characters. And treek is pretty annoying herself.

Except your alt would be put on the AI script that will make them an equivalent of your companion minus the dialogue. If they cannot program an AI for a regular companion that make them valuable, the can't make your Alt valuable either. Plus, the main character doesn't have a voice set. I still side with augmenting existing 40 companions rather than trying to create more of the mules. Edited by DomiSotto

Except your alt would be put on the AI script that will make them an equivalent of your companion minus the dialogue. If they cannot program an AI for a regular companion that make them valuable, the can't make your Alt valuable either. Plus, the main character doesn't have a voice set. I still side with augmenting existing 40 companions rather than trying to create more of the mules.

Main character does have a voice set, actually. Typing /hello, /hi, /greetings, /bye, /goodbye, /farewell, /introduce, /helpme, /healme, etc. will make your character say things. They have yell, grunts, and ouches that they say when in battles, too.

You would use the companions more as a novelty than as actual battle helpers.

Edited by Pingonaut

Yours is a wonderful Idea! and I support it 100% : ))).

Yes please. I would happily buy slots though I think subscribers should get a couple for free.

Yes please. I would happily buy slots though I think subscribers should get a couple for free.

I don't think that's unfair, though being how many people only have just a few extra toons, I'm sure they wouldn't want to shoot themselves in the foot by limiting the possible purchasing numbers upfront.

Remember that as a suggestion to the Cartel Market, we're basically trying to "sell" the idea to them as a one that could be not only beneficial to the game but also be profitable while also being cost effective to develop.

Edited by Elfa

Well, at least this idea isnt as window licking stupid as the "let my nasty and evil sith warrior have the empire loathing elara, jorgan, mx et cetera" companion tnreads. Alts at least wouldn't have established game backstories/ reasons for being the class & faction they are. Edited by XiamaraSimi

Well, at least this idea isnt as window licking stupid as the "let my nasty and evil sith warrior have the empire loathing elara, jorgan, mx et cetera" companion tnreads. Alts at least wouldn't have established game backstories/ reasons for being the class & faction they are.

Good point. I've never been a fan of cross Legacy companion sharing as it didn't make much sense but Legacy alts themselves? It is doable.

Now there's another matter of a legacy member being able to fill 2 roles, so I think this should be based on whatever your advanced class is. For example, if the Legacy Alt used is AC'd as Jug, you could used them as either DPS or tank, or a Merc could be used as either heals or DPS.