A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

(Waves) thank you, folks.

Yes, I am L55, and yes, I have everything augmented & swapping blues for purples, save for the 2 relics (I use the L45 Rak BoLs for the lack of). I also have the L53-54 enhancements/implants/ear/main/off-hand, but left the arm/mods at Makeb level, because I hope to swap into the Obroan eventually without the intermediate set of the L53.

I believe my gate to Obroan atm is the valor, sititng at 28 atm, so need 12 more points (hopefully).

I am not sure. I can certainly craft the set on L53, but will going from 140 to 148 PvE make a significant difference?

Anyway, a L54 daily this morning, gotta see if I can start on the L55 one. Could not play the low-level character because they pulled the servers off-line at 5 am my time, so people weren't cuing by the time I was done with the first daily. Well, at least it was at 5, so I did not end up getting early for nothing :)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, you don't need Valor 40 anymore to purchase Obroan, you can get it right away as soon as you reach 55. ;)

What you need Valor 40 for is Brutalizer, now. Same aspect, different color and a few more points per stat. :rolleyes:

I myself only got the weapon, offhand, relics, earpiece, belt and bracers. Rest is Obroan still, no augs, no nothing. But I don't feel bad at all. :)

As a side note, to purchase Brutalizer you need the corresponding Obroan piece. Let's say you want the Brutalizer Force Master's Lightsaber. To buy it, along with 3.5k Ranked WZ Comms - if I'm not mistaken, not sure about the number atm - you also have to give the vendor your old Obroan Force Master's Lightsaber. Same goes for all pieces, including relics. :cool:

Still, keep trying, I enjoy reading your stories Domi. It's refreshing, after hearing/reading people complain that they can't survive the whole opposing team solo or stuff like that... Both here and in game. :D

Edited by Cox_The_Beast

I recommend trying to take jerks like me with a grain of salt. A lot of people know what they are doing and when something is going on that isn't right they tend to rant in ops chat. Listen to what they are saying and take the basic ideas to heart but also realize that if they come off real mean or sarcastic they are probably wonderful people they just are used to winning or whatever it may be. To make you a little less nooby always guard on a door or node(a capturing point i.e the turrets in civil war). Kill healers first if you are dps, taunt a lot if you are a tank but only if that person is not attacking you, heals try to stay in the back and use melee as a meatshield. If you see somebody who does really well in a match ask them if they want to do a couple matches with you and then give you a few pointers. Also, try to vote for somebody at the end of the match. Depending on the match, i do top dps, top heals, or top objectives. Happy hunting :)

Oh, that's GREAT news about the Obroan! :) I guess now I just have to accumulate comms & I will have relics before long. Yay! I guess, I can convert the ranked comms into regs, but I don't wanna to, I'd rather do a swap of the relics (Rakgoul to Brut... that would be the day), since that's the lowest thing on my alt.

Or I might actually finish grinding to 150 classic on the Black Hole and have a cute Rakata & Obroan combo. I am fresh out of reg comms, since, of course, I thought it would be a good idea to update poor Treek a little. She started to resent the 112s. Ah, well. Nothing's wasted in the legacy gear.

Anyways, chickened out of the WZs tonight, too tired, just did a run of BH, was bold enough to attach myself to a very nice shadow for the H4+ there. The double-Treek, the Shadow and... well, me.

I have no problems guarding a node, if people let me guard a node. Honestly, I go into a zone dreaming about guarding a node. It's peaceful. Steady. :)

Thanks, folks for your goodwill and patience, and happy warzoning.

Fantastic! My Valor reached 30, and I even got an achievement with it. Sooo neat!

I decided to just be nonchalant and go guarding hoping the Magnificent Seven would see the wisdom of the comic relief sidekick staying out of the way. Nobody seems to mind, and mostly it went well, but yeah, multiples going at a lonely slinger ain't so hot even with cc's. I (hangs her head in shame) managed to bumble an inc call once. How hard is to press enter? I had it all typed in advance to just add the number and all. I guess that assassin was that scary.

Anyway, some absolutely fantastic teams this morning, so I had 2 dailies in no time, and only have one more match left for the weekly. Of course we tasted defeat as well, 'cause one needs to build up her humility. It was a Voidstar, too bad, I haven't pugged into a VS for ages. On the bright side: no 4x4's, no Huttball. Just good old wargames.

It's kinf of weird. Despite realizing just how bad I am, PvP is my favorite part of the game right now. But only on that one character. And I can't make myself to try with another one so far. Attached to the alt or something.

I also went and looked at Obroan. Mmgh. By the look of it, I certainly need the Serendipitous Assault, and the other relic, I am not sure. The one that crits or the one that helps me with squishyness? Seeing I will need comms, comms and comms, I decided to go noob once more, and crafted a few 156 pieces for armor. Still RE'ing the mods. Figure that the Beloved Companion can take them over after this alt is all rock-solid PvP geared. Augments are expensive atm, so waiting for them to go back down mid-week.

Oh, we played our youngest pair, and my youngest is a Scoundrel, L13-16 as we played. Ouch, that's a huge change from a Gunslinger. Color me Smuggler-confused! First stealth alt too, for both of us, Shadow and Scoundrel. I really like what the Shadows do in H4+ in Blackhole, sneaking through and rising the NPCs.

Edited by DomiSotto

Oh, we played our youngest pair, and my youngest is a Scoundrel, L13-16 as we played. Ouch, that's a huge change from a Gunslinger. Color me Smuggler-confused!

Heh, I started my first operative in PvP just a couple days ago. I find the same thing. I've played Mara's, shadows, snipers, sorcs; all of which I *think* I adapted to reasonably quickly. I don't know what it is about the Op, but I'm still like, "WTHeck do I *do* with this class?". I think it's the mix of up close and ranged. Do I stay close for shiv and backstab, or back off for explosive and snipe shots? But I think I'm getting it. I stealth out, and sneak to the back and shik-shik the enemy healers or other back-row classes. Well, that's what I **try** to do. Usually I just die quickly so far. :( Maybe the class will sort itself out for me as I get beyond level 13. :D

[...]

Oh, we played our youngest pair, and my youngest is a Scoundrel, L13-16 as we played. Ouch, that's a huge change from a Gunslinger. Color me Smuggler-confused! First stealth alt too, for both of us, Shadow and Scoundrel. I really like what the Shadows do in H4+ in Blackhole, sneaking through and rising the NPCs.

Heh, I started my first operative in PvP just a couple days ago. I find the same thing. I've played Mara's, shadows, snipers, sorcs; all of which I *think* I adapted to reasonably quickly. I don't know what it is about the Op, but I'm still like, "WTHeck do I *do* with this class?". I think it's the mix of up close and ranged. Do I stay close for shiv and backstab, or back off for explosive and snipe shots? But I think I'm getting it. I stealth out, and sneak to the back and shik-shik the enemy healers or other back-row classes. Well, that's what I **try** to do. Usually I just die quickly so far. :( Maybe the class will sort itself out for me as I get beyond level 13. :D

I can confirm Operative/Scoundrel DPS gets better at higher levels than what you both have. ;)

I began feeling comfortable at 23, when I got Laceration/Sucker Punch, and from there on it only gets better. I speak of my experience, and I used the middle tree. As Healer it's at around the same lvl range, when you get your HoTs. Lethality/Dirty Fighting more and less around the same levels, with the poisoning grenade or the bleeding one. And the consequent debuffs.

You will become a bit more durable with Shield Probe - should be in the late 30s if I recall. At that point I stopped using cover alltogether. Not much incentive since all your good skills require you to be in melee range, and enemies can charge you when you're in cover... :rolleyes:

Still, keep it up. And don't feel discouraged by losses. it's the natural outcome. You can't win them all. :)

Well, I understand the idea that both the Scoundrel and Vanguard is actually a melee character (thanks the Boards! Kisses, Hugs! I would have never guessed on my own!) . My Gunslinger is a DF, and I adore the utility of the class, with swapping between range and fighting close-quarters when they upon ya.

But Scoundrel gets the Upper Hand.

Without rolls (or harpoon on the van) on the low levels, I feel that in a fight, what I end up doing is kindda walk in a maddeningly relaxed sort of way while shooting towards the target (or I stealth-crawl and start fighting on the Scoundrel), but I cant's even get the first back-stab in seeing there is no Upper Hand - well now I get the ability to insta trigger UH, so maybe it will go better. (And if my husband KEEPS using the wave, I will start waving from under his Guardian's nose. And I have a brutal wave on 55, dammit!).

It is very tempting on the scoundrel to just drop in cover and start shooting, but I know it is not a good idea to get used to it. I did not took him to the WZs though. I do not have sufficient heals yet, and if I PvP him I want him to be heals.

Did a couple of matches on the Van, finally! Alderaan and Queshball. My team won both, so there is just one match to polish off the Weekly, win or lose. I don't know what you call it on the Van, but for Bounty Hunter it will be He Overheats Much. I am not used to his Energy Management, and by whatever reason I had troubles setting off the AoE. Will have to work on that. And, I finally talked to General Garza. Now, it's spitting distance to level 55, right? ;)

Edited by DomiSotto

Wow, what a morning!

My first ever Obroan Relic!

My first ever gold standing!

What can I say but the Thanks Goodness for the Conquest! Of course it's not gonna last as everyone is going to smarten up and gear up. :)

Edited by DomiSotto

heh, I wish it were because I sucked less, not because they suck more. :) But hey, I cry happy tears every time I get to my payload rotation and see the HP melt off the toons. I know, it's a horrible thing to say, but wow, I am actually capable of killing someone instead of giving them a bloody nose and chilling in Death Pans! I also think I might be looked upon favorably by the Great Bolster seeing I am slowly 156'ing everything. Finally, being pathetic pays off!

2 Obroan Relics, YAY! And went window shopping. I know what I want now, and I think I will just do a tedious "get an Obroan piece --> trade it for a Brute piece -->" and then I dunno. I don't think my 156 bits are worth crying over, so I don't think I should keep that set, and Augment Brute (because I can only run Black Hole maybe another 100-150 times tops). Just pull my blood-and-tears earned 156's and hopefully shuttle it to another char in a Legacy gear one day.

Edited by DomiSotto

Just wanted to pipe in that I'm absolutely enjoying this thread (first time posting as I subbed yesterday). Learning to PvP with a DPS Commando and a healer Operative is slow work, but the satisfaction of slow improvement is worth something at least ;)

Keep up the good work!

And went window shopping. I know what I want now, and I think I will just do a tedious "get an Obroan piece --> trade it for a Brute piece -->" and then I dunno.

Personally I wouldn't bother doing it that way. Get all oberon before getting any brut gear. The difference in stats between the two is minimal anyway. If you haven't already, fully augment the gear you will wear for pvp (IE a separate orange set that you like the look of including a mainhand and offhand) and just keep pulling out the mods from the oberon as you get them and placing it in the correlating slots (chest to chest, legs to legs etc).

Edited by Ridickilis

If you haven't already, fully augment the gear you will wear for pvp (IE a separate orange set that you like the look of including a mainhand and offhand) and just keep pulling out the mods from the oberon as you get them and placing it in the correlating slots (chest to chest, legs to legs etc).

This. Get your beloved orange gear and augment it.

The only expensive part to upgrade is, if you actually augmented the oboran ear, implant and relics. (I delayed that on my last pvp character till I got the brut versions... wich was quick and painless due to the warzone-reward-event thingy).: You'll have to augment the brut versions anew, losing the slot kits you used for that. REMEMBER to pull out the augmentation before trading them in! :D

Thank you for the feedback on the gear, guys. My oranges are all augmented, and as I painstakingly assemble credits and catch the deals on GTN, I replace the blue augments with purples. I did not augment the relics, but I have both the kits and the augments ready to go as soon as I get the Brut (because at least with the relics I want to avoid augmenting Obroan).

Anyway, literally just 1 WarZone yesterday, on my lowbie Trooper. One of those lazy ones, when most folks take side nodes in Alderaan and let the opposing team have the mid uncontested. I did a few runs at the mid with a couple of other newbs anyway, to train my rotation and stuff, but by the look of it you can't win Alderaan by holding the sides, you always come a little bit short (that's the second match I saw my team holding sides, and losing). I need to work on the Trooper, 'cause Bounty Hunting week is coming so he needs the ship to participate. :)

And, we are learning the datacrons gathering on Coruscant, so I need to take my L55 main to do Ord mantel and Coruscant. Gonna be a blast :)

Started my weekly finally today, and now am proud owner of the third Obroan piece, the bracers (pulled the mods, as advised). Touchingly, someone actually commanded me by name to move to mid off the grass. Yay! Coordination! Hey, I figured ready for anything helps break stealth, but I can die on the mid too, no pro! For once, I actually made it to the mid from the side, without sightseeing most of the map. 'Cause, you know, as a newb, I don't get to run around that map much. Speeder-Death-Speeder-Death... that's my kindda sequence. It was a nice clean Alderaan win, actually, and I for once did not place last on the team (one before last, of course, but never-mind that)

With Obroan, I think I ended up with the Enforcer, not Professional, but I can't see the difference. Hope this is all right, cause then I won't have to buy another set of bracers (not a big deal, but yeah).

I can also see that I am loosing the PvE stats off the gear. So, I will have to cleverly insert a PvE run from Ilum to the end of the Makeb/Oricon between getting my coveted Brut Relics at Valor 40, and continuing my grind of the rest of the Obroan.

I assume that Oricon will give me the second set of 156 gear for free (providing I get that far!), so if I can afford it at that time, I guess, I will painstakingly augment that as well for doing Dailies. Either that, or I will simply bring another char to L55, keep her in PvE gear and make her a bread winner, leaving my Gunslinger as a PvP char.

Classic gear is a JOKE! And so is Basic one. :( ANd you can't buy it for the companion. Boo.

Started my weekly finally today, and now am proud owner of the third Obroan piece, the bracers (pulled the mods, as advised). Touchingly, someone actually commanded me by name to move to mid off the grass. Yay! Coordination! Hey, I figured ready for anything helps break stealth, but I can die on the mid too, no pro! For once, I actually made it to the mid from the side, without sightseeing most of the map. 'Cause, you know, as a newb, I don't get to run around that map much. Speeder-Death-Speeder-Death... that's my kindda sequence. It was a nice clean Alderaan win, actually, and I for once did not place last on the team (one before last, of course, but never-mind that)

With Obroan, I think I ended up with the Enforcer, not Professional, but I can't see the difference. Hope this is all right, cause then I won't have to buy another set of bracers (not a big deal, but yeah).

I can also see that I am loosing the PvE stats off the gear. So, I will have to cleverly insert a PvE run from Ilum to the end of the Makeb/Oricon between getting my coveted Brut Relics at Valor 40, and continuing my grind of the rest of the Obroan.

I assume that Oricon will give me the second set of 156 gear for free (providing I get that far!), so if I can afford it at that time, I guess, I will painstakingly augment that as well for doing Dailies. Either that, or I will simply bring another char to L55, keep her in PvE gear and make her a bread winner, leaving my Gunslinger as a PvP char.

Classic gear is a JOKE! And so is Basic one. :( ANd you can't buy it for the companion. Boo.

What server are you on mate? Not on TRE are you?

Not to bust out a pve conversation in the pvp forums BUT (:p) wearing the full oberon pvp set will do just fine for all your level 50 dalies, Makeb (even pre-nerf) and Oricon. I do this on all my toons while gearing my companion(s) in the 148-156 sets which can usually be found reasonably cheap off the GTN.

Not to bust out a pve conversation in the pvp forums BUT (:p) wearing the full oberon pvp set will do just fine for all your level 50 dalies, Makeb (even pre-nerf) and Oricon. I do this on all my toons while gearing my companion(s) in the 148-156 sets which can usually be found reasonably cheap off the GTN.

err, you shouldn't need obroan for any of those. The makeb planetary comm gear will suffice for all of those.

err, you shouldn't need obroan for any of those. The makeb planetary comm gear will suffice for all of those.

Well...yes exactly my point. It seemed Domi was stressing a bit that s/he'd need a seperate set of gear for doing Makeb and Oricon and whatnot. All I was suggesting is if you already have a full set of augmented oberon, it's more than enough to solo all of that content. No need to augment a second set of gear unless someone is planing on doing the end game group pve content.

Obroan is more than enough for those.

Hell, I run Obroan in the new operations and Nightmare versions of the previous tier and even them I'm overgeared.

Edited by WaldoA

Okay, I decided to commit to doing one War Zone a day. I hate PvP, so I figure my only chance to do it is to go public with my fears. Let's see how long I shall last. So, who thinks I will manage to not unclick the WarZone before it pops today? :)

Oh, and of course, anyone else with PvP phobia wants to try to overcome it?

Some more suggestions:

- Turning off the chat is a good start. But once you get comfortable with the play, put it back on. Otherwise, you might miss the call to some node where all the baddies are attacking. And, once you do put the chat on, don't be afraid to use both the censor profanity and ignore options for the nutcases (who do appear every now and again). Some of the nutcases know something - but others are no better than the trolls you run across on Fleet.

-Be aware that things like Matrix Cubes, augments, reusable/prototype skill stims and even those PvE grenades are usable in warzones and arenas. (Stay away from the one-use stims though -- they are wasted too easily in warzones.) Especially augments - once you start getting geared properly, augments provide your next biggest boost in performance.

- Have fun playing around with your PvE gear that you bring into the warzones. Try switching different pieces and see if they boost your main stats like damage or healing or that weird thing called Expertise. (Try not to get too worked up about expertise - just remember that generally if the main stats are good and your expertise is close to (currrently) 2018-ish, then you will be on your way.)

If I think of a few more, then I'll pass those along too.

I think I never owned any purple pve stuff that is better than oboran... well, the oricon quest stuff... I sold. No need for PvE stuff and I'm not running a str/sta melee as companion. XD (I don't like broon!).

I'm taking a break from my mara currently and find myself a lot more relaxed. Leveling my scoundrel and my powertech (giving shield tech a spin now) and I'll see if I can acutally use that gear for a companion. My scoundrel (cunning) should work well.

Mind you: I'm only pve'ing to do the class quests and some sidelines that are fun and interesting and.... see the planets. The whole instanced, grouped stuff would be interesting, if I didn't feel like I should get pve gear for it or at least look at the boss mechanics beyond the basic rules: "don't stand in red stuff; if the tank runs away: do so, too; adds > strong > boss; interrupt; help your mates - do your part - use your brain.". I guess most instances are probably doable in pvp gear while just abiding to that golden ruleset. Sadly I dispise an attitude of "my gear should be enough" if I know it could be better. I feel like leaning on others. Wich sucks. So I pvp and only farm some quests or some mobs while waiting for a queue - well, currently I spend the time decorating. :D

Too bad you can't queue with a different character from what you are currently playing - I could actually level a pve character: "queue solo as <charname>" XD would be almost as awesome as [x] no arena / [x] no huttball options.

(Waves) Wow, folks :)

I am on Harbinger, the server aptly named after the starship that picked up the Exile in KOTOR2 (as I came back to gaming through a whirlwind KOTOR2 play after breaking my foot, and immediately subbing for SWTOR after my old gaming friends told me the story is GOOD, even if the MMO part sucks). It doomed Harbinger btw :)

Thanks for the ideas on levelling in PvP gear, I am a new player with very few bonuses (a couple of crews unlocked, and the presence about 700), and a DPS, but most importantly, to date my levelling strategy was to overlevell and over-equip. But I think I dig the idea of the more powerful set for Treek rather than a second set for the PC. RE R Us!

I always have the chat log on, as Harbinger is a very polite server, and even people heckle me, they can't come close to what I myself can throw my own way. :D So, doesn't bother me in the slightest, and on L55 there is actually more calls and directions to the team from the core pre-made where it counts.

@Chillshock - oh, nice, Power Tech Shield Tech is a very good set-up (Oil-slick and that turn around with fire is great). I have one on L30, and I really enjoyed it, through all his levels (mind you I play with my 2 friends, so I have a Sniper and a Sorc saving my bacon). The one more tip on the tanks that i read and made perfect sense to me after the fact, was to turn the group of enemies away from your mates, so the side-effects do not spill their way and that you can ideally see them too all the time.

As for Smugglers, game-wise this is absolutely my fav class, with the versatility that cannot be beat. I just saw someone comment that they were spoiled by playing a Scoundrel, stealth + heals, and I am starting to see my Scoundrel in the whole new light. Still, Gunslinger is my most beloved char. Because. :)

Edited by DomiSotto