So if pvp survival gear is useless why keep it in-game?

RaithHarth

That is because BW doesn't know it is useless.

That doesn't mean that's an excuse not to do anything about the tanks (especially the light geared tanks) absorb and shielding how they remain utterly unreliable in pvp, why isn't this considered a factor?

critical chance should be nerfed, since it does indeed do alot of damage to light geared tanks that use survival gear

I don't think its so useless it should be removed. Yes, you will do more for your team with dps gear probably because most people straight up don't know how to utilize tanks properly. I think for rateds I see more teams utilizing pure tanks more than regs.

I don't think its so useless it should be removed. Yes, you will do more for your team with dps gear probably because most people straight up don't know how to utilize tanks properly. I think for rateds I see more teams utilizing pure tanks more than regs.

Exactly

Maybe it's for toons like my Shadow who will only PvP normally and tank in PvE when absolutely, last ditch, necessary. Since I won't have OP gear, I can at least have some tank specced PvP gear?

I say leave it, if the shell is different maybe people will want it for cosmetics, or you can pull out the mods you like and shove them in some PvE armor.

It's not completely useless. The extra hp helps and the tank set does provide a good amount of defense, which mitigates randomly but entire hits. The shield and absorb works great for snipers and all non sorc classes have at least some white damage, but mostly the defense and hp help a lot.

Yes it could provide better shield mechanics, but there are some situations where the extra survivability really helps out more than a fully effective 1v1 set. I use my tank gear in all huttballs and frequently when guarding off node.

Edited by JP_Legatus

It's not completely useless it still works against white damage ranged weapon attacks like hammer shot, rail shot/HIB, some sniper attacks. Totally useless against sabers though so...

This is so wrong I don't know where to begin.

Don't touch my Defense gear. I'll take it anyday of the week over Dps gear. If I guard a healer I can easily take on 4-5 people at once almost indefinatly on my Jugg. The problem is people think "Useless" is anything under 300k dmg in a warzone.

When i'm doing 200k dmg and 200k protection in a warzone that's far from useless. Most days when I'm in full tank gear pugging it up It's hilarious to see some Jugg come up and smash me for like 3k and go ***? Then I proceed to whittle em down and kill em. Im in a warzone to help play defense, most people are playing offense but at the end of the game, my Objective score and medals are almost always higher than anyone elses. It's funny having nearly the entire team on the other side beating on you as you casually walk across the firepit and into the endzone while they are trying to kill you in Hutball. I like being Indestructible.

It's not completely useless it still works against white damage ranged weapon attacks like hammer shot, rail shot/HIB, some sniper attacks. Totally useless against sabers though so...

It works against white damage but it's useless against critical damage, why is that?

Vanguard tanks have it the worst since so much of their mitigation comes from shielding, which can be negated by crits. Guardians on the other hand can really benefit from War Leader gear because they rely more on defense. A well-geared and specced Guardian can be laughably difficult to bring down. That's why you see them in ranked (plus their mobility for huttball).

Meanwhile, if you're a Vanguard, they just want you to go Assault. If you're a Shadow, they want you to go hybrid with dps gear because that is the OP variety. I'm not aware of too many pure shadow tanks in PvP.

This is so wrong I don't know where to begin.

Ok. I guess the fact that a developer stated such does not matter...apparently you know more than he does. And for your information critical hits cannot be shielded (from developer)...also saber attacks do weapon damage and there is no saber attack in game that can be shielded.

Vanguard tanks have it the worst since so much of their mitigation comes from shielding, which can be negated by crits. Guardians on the other hand can really benefit from War Leader gear because they rely more on defense. A well-geared and specced Guardian can be laughably difficult to bring down. That's why you see them in ranked (plus their mobility for huttball).

Meanwhile, if you're a Vanguard, they just want you to go Assault. If you're a Shadow, they want you to go hybrid with dps gear because that is the OP variety. I'm not aware of too many pure shadow tanks in PvP.

This is a 10-4. Guards/Juggs are beasts because saber attacks can be defended.

The shield and absorb works great for snipers and all non sorc classes have at least some white damage

Correction : It just works against Snipers, not at all against Sorcerers, and works a bit against some non-Sorc classes (Juggernaut - Marauder - some Mercenaries), and is near useless against the other ones (Powertech - Operatives).

It works against white damage but it's useless against critical damage, why is that?

Because it's supposed to be balanced around the possibility to be either shielded, crit or normal. With equivalent amounts of Shield/Absorb and Crit/Surge, statistically, it's like if the defender wouldn't have any of Shield/Absorb and the attacker any of Crit/Surge. It's just that as a result, the Tank is super spiky when comparing a shielded hit to a critted hit.

That's only when the shielding mechanic is not ignored because the attack is Tech/Force type. And this is the problem. Not shielding a crit is normal (arguable design-wise, but not balance-wise).

Edited by Altheran

tank gear isnt useless. its 85% of people who roll a tank spec that are useless in PVP.

No True Tanksman, amirite?

Here, I find only the Juggernaut/Guardian really gets the most out of their defensive gear, where Assassins/Shadows can equip DPS and then spec Defense. Powertech/Vanguard are SOL because their defensive spec leaves them "hitting for 100's and getting hit for 1000's"

Please keep your L2P nonsense to yourself.

It works against weapon based damage and not force/tech...honestly the miss information on these forums is astonishing.

Why doesn't bioware come up with a solution where tanks could have a chance to counter and push back force/tech damage then? such as Force Deflection or Force Absorb? Which could be useful for Jedi Shadow tanks. Even by using a superconducting loop as Mace Windu demonstrated with his lightsaber against Palpatine's force lightning could be quite handy for Jedi Knights.

It would be nice to see something like these to be used accordingly in pvp once we hear more about our new abilities with the new level cap once the expansion comes out, because we definitely need something.

It works against weapon based damage and not force/tech...honestly the miss information on these forums is astonishing.

White damage is weapon based damage. Do you even know what white damage is?? When you hit a mob, a white or yellow damage pops up. It is how you know whether the ability is force/tech or normal damage.

It is the way the game works. Remember this is a RPG and damage numbers are computed with a roll of a dice or random number generator(RNG). Unfortunately, the game can either crit or defend an attack. So when a crit happens, it cannot be defended, shielded, parried and etc. So defense is useless against a smasher.

This is the way I remember it, they may have changed this already though.

In rateds, you'll only see tanksins!