Darksaber?

Leoxastarth

Was just watching a couple of my friends have a rather heated discussion about this, 1 side saying they wanted a darksaber in SWTOR (By that meaning a black color crystal) and the other side saying that would be utterly, stupid / lore-screwing and whatnot.

Have not got a firm position myself, but does anyone have any info on this?

The preorder crystal is basically a darksaber... except with piss all over it.

It looks absolutely terrible.

I really hope they remove them from the game, but I doubt it.

I think a better pre-order option crystal-wise would be to just let you choose from a few. You could choose from some of the semi-rare crystal options like purple or orange, but not from the very rare ones like white. This lets everyone get a crystal they like, without everyone using one color because it's a special crystal.

As for the issue of black sabers, i'm not a big fan of them.. but they do have white, so i can't see why they wouldn't add it eventually.

There are sabers with black cores and all current color hues in the game.

Current color hues are blue, green, yellow, orange, red, and purple. Most of these sabers with the black core and color hue are high level/level 50 items. There are also silver/white sabers, but I don't know if there is a black core with silver corona.

Edited by marshalleck

well it woudlnt be lore breakign i guess, since it never stated what colors were what (and in fact lucas has in other moveis and games added colors never seen in orginal trilogy)

theres nothign wrong with wanting it. and you can have a argument on weather or not light can be emited in a black color, or weather or not a wavelength can if not light.

end of the day is BW's choice. though id say hoenstly, as much as id love a black saber, it would likly look like crap in this game. most of what you wear is dark, and the enviroments are not all that great for it either. youd likly not even see it most of the time.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I for one am a huge fan of the idea behind the darksaber. It would be decent to have in game but I think the one argument that no one has touched upon is that it is largely a weapon to be used to combat force users. Currently I don't believe we have any -selectable- classes that are not force users who would be able to use a melee weapon. Sure it could be added to a cartel pack similar to the replicas of Revan's and Malak's armor etc. But again what would be the point of a force user running around flaunting a weapon created for non force users to defend against lightsabers.

Was just watching a couple of my friends have a rather heated discussion about this, 1 side saying they wanted a darksaber in SWTOR (By that meaning a black color crystal) and the other side saying that would be utterly, stupid / lore-screwing and whatnot.

Have not got a firm position myself, but does anyone have any info on this?

In an episode of Star Wars the Clone Wars Mandalorian Pre Vizla has a darksaber that an ancesntor stole from the Jedi temple, all who saw the "Decieved" trailer for the game saw that ancient Vizla, likely an artifact from this time period, so a black crystal is not lore-screwing, as long as its made out as an ancient jedi thing.

In an episode of Star Wars the Clone Wars Mandalorian Pre Vizla has a darksaber that an ancesntor stole from the Jedi temple, all who saw the "Decieved" trailer for the game saw that ancient Vizla, likely an artifact from this time period, so a black crystal is not lore-screwing, as long as its made out as an ancient jedi thing.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darksaber_(lightsaber)

"This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic. Since then many Jedi have died upon its blade. Prepare yourself to join them!"

―Pre Vizsla to Obi-Wan Kenobi

Yeah, you are right. Its from the Old Republic era. So, we can have it, I guess. I didnt read the whole thing, but maybe its unique and just one blacksaber in the whole SW galaxy , and maybe BW wont give us this lightsaber because the "lore" .

Edited by iankalo

"This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic. Since then many Jedi have died upon its blade. Prepare yourself to join them!"

Yeah, you are right. Its from the Old Republic era. So, we can have it, I guess. I didnt read the whole thing, but maybe its unique and just one blacksaber in the whole SW galaxy , and maybe BW wont give us this lightsaber because the "lore" .

it was probably an artifact from an earlier era which was stored by the Jedi in the temple until Vizla's ancestor took it as a trophy from the smoldering wreck of the temple.

There are tons of black core crystals out there, I got black yellow ones myself because I am a preorder, so its only a matter of time before the make black-black crystals

Edited by Sangrar

Actually, we cannot. The Darksaber was stolen and remained in the possession of the Vizsla clan in secret until the revelation of it's existence during the Clone Wars. They can't sell it on the Cartel Market because as of this era, it is nothing more than a myth. So no, we cannot have a Darksaber. We can have the Black crystals, as they are man made attempts to recreate the Darksaber. But we cannot have the actual one.

Actually, we cannot. The Darksaber was stolen and remained in the possession of the Vizsla clan in secret until the revelation of it's existence during the Clone Wars. They can't sell it on the Cartel Market because as of this era, it is nothing more than a myth. So no, we cannot have a Darksaber. We can have the Black crystals, as they are man made attempts to recreate the Darksaber. But we cannot have the actual one.

do we know that its the only one of its kind?

do we know that its the only one of its kind?

Most likely, as it was discovered in the Jedi Vault, that means the Jedi of old knew that powerful lightsabers were being created that, if in the wrong hands, could mean the end of the Jedi forever. By knowing Jedi psychological routine, we can correctly infer that they would not want thousands of Darksabers floating around the galaxy. They would have most likely rounded up every Darksaber, destroy the forges that create them, destroy the schematics and then destroy all but one of the Darksabers. The final Daksaber would be placed in the vault to be saved for the Jedi's darkest hour, when they are truly well on their way to defeat. They would then unlock the vault and allow their best and most powerful Jedi to use the Darksaber and save their order. Once done, they would lock it away again and never speak of it's existence again.

Simple Jedi behavior.

easy compromise, new lightsaber(cartel pack item) with the darksaber sound. Iv'e argued for a darksaber or even just a straight up black crystal since I was in beta. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, I mean there are crazier colors (purple/pink combo). Also THIS is the era ( Rise of the Empire Era/ Golden Age of the Old Republic) in which it was created (in fact I would argue that the Vizla-redhead mando hottie- seen in the deceived trailer may have been the one to steal it whilst the temple was under attack so be patient, we may even get a Mando boss of some sort wielding it in an encounter just to make it that much more difficult to get. Although I still think It would be unfair especially for player created mando toons to not be able to wield it in blade form-this coming from a devout Sith-I'm no developer but I do believe that may be one of the primary reasons we probably will not see it without some sort of change to the AC system(non force users being able to choose to be primarily melee such as some of the companions). On the other hand they did give us the Cathar Honor Sword so who knows. But is definitely lore, there was a Vizla figure created with one that ebay is having a grand time with, and also a more current version included with a lego set that includes the half cyborg darth maul and 2 of his mando guards. Last time the actual saber was seen was when Palpatine gave darthmaul a spanking on the clone wars. Edited by WizzDilla