Macros?

Niconogood

Any particular reason they dont have the opportunity to make macros in this game?

Especially in PvP this is bothersome. In PvE its not that big of an issue as you have plenty of time to choose the right skills, or simply doesnt need that many.

With so many skills, not to mention so many overlapping skills (skills with CDs that do about the same thing) I really cant see any reason not to implement macros.

The amount of skills even at level 20 is starting to get so high that its hard to have them all hotkeyed. Starting to use mouseover-click on skills in your hotbar in PvP is simply not an option if you wanna play efficiently.

I for one feel the includement of macros would drastically enchance the game. The ability to combine the right skills into the right macro and hotkey is just as much skill as having to stretch your fingers 20 cm across the keyboard to hit that skill you couldnt fit in close proximity.

With all those buttons going to skills, it also hurts the hotkeys for more mundane functions like "character", "sit" etc. as you need those buttons for single skills.

Please BioWare, put "implementing macros" on top of your todo-list as this would make the gaming experience alot more enjoyable for alot of people, especially more advanced/experienced players that thrive in highpaced gameplay.

Edited by Niconogood

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any particular reason they dont have the opportunity to make macros in this game?

Especially in PvP this is bothersome. In PvE its not that big of an issue as you have plenty of time to choose the right skills, or simply doesnt need that many.

With so many skills, not to mention so many overlapping skills (skills with CDs that do about the same thing) I really cant see any reason not to implement macros.

The amount of skills even at level 20 is starting to get so high that its hard to have them all hotkeyed. Starting to use mouseover-click on skills in your hotbar in PvP is simply not an option if you wanna play efficiently.

I for one feel the includement of macros would drastically enchance the game. The ability to combine the right skills into the right macro and hotkey is just as much skill as having to stretch your fingers 20 cm across the keyboard to hit that skill you couldnt fit in close proximity.

With all those buttons going to skills, it also hurts the hotkeys for more mundane functions like "character", "sit" etc. as you need those buttons for single skills.

Please BioWare, put "implementing macros" on top of your todo-list as this would make the gaming experience alot more enjoyable for alot of people, especially more advanced/experienced players that thrive in highpaced gameplay.

macro's should not be implamented into the game. they are just to easy to exploit and abuse.

if you want to show players you can play the game then single clicking is the way forward.or bind keys to your mouse buttons.

macro's should not be implamented into the game. they are just to easy to exploit and abuse.

if you want to show players you can play the game then single clicking is the way forward.or bind keys to your mouse buttons.

Wow, I actually agree with Duckling on something. I guess you aren't a pure troll afterall. :p

Being efficient is not exploiting. It's working smart, not hard. It's not like the macros play the character for you, it reduces clunky mechanics and activations for classes with stances and whatnot(ever try manually doing all the stance dancing for warriors in WoW to use ALL abilities? Waste of key strokes and precious time.)

Plus I am running out of quickslot icons. I need to have multiple abilties tied to single icon, I hate having hotbars all over my damn screen.

Edited by Dreadspectre

So to "show people you can play" you need to go and purchase a 200$ gaming mouse? Thanks for the heads up. I still prefer macros. That is what almost every newer MMORPG have been realizing too, and I must say I was very surprised to see SWTOR hadnt implemented this from start.

Edited by Niconogood

I often play a support role ... like healer or enchanter (eq1), and macros are a must when I'm trying to CC a mob (buy the way thank you for having some CC in the game) and say "hey dont kill T% mob now plz" Or to target the MTs mob in large fights when you don't want ppl just going bonkers fighting anything. Did any of you play a bard in EQ1? Macros were a must have, 1)/stopsong 2) /cast2

swor uses " / " commands, Do they seriously intend on everyone typing stuff out all the time?

Macros have become a staple in MMOs, taking out macros is like asking me to not use a mouse.

And lets face it, if swor really does well in the next few months ppl are going to start making add ons. I'm sure we all remember them from WoW. (dont kill me cause I said "WoW") So it seems safe to say that if bioware doesn't make macros some 3rd party will .... And personally I don't trust 3rd party strangers with my computer.

Pandemic on Veeboo Lunx

P.S. (edit) didn't notice when I did a search that this is a pvp thread,,, none the less macros are a must have. Like raids for example.

Edited by Dracolindus

This argument is invalid, you don't think the ppl abusing macros won't just use autohotkey instead to achieve the same end? Not having macros is simply an inconvenience to normal players.

No macros please.

If you must play with macros, go try Rift. Everyone is at the same skill level then because they spam the same 3 buttons. Here it is a mix of gear and skill. Macros make it only based on gear.

Please no macros.

With macros, people are on different levels based on the time and effort they put into researching "smart" ways to override having to actually hit buttons, without macros it is all skill. :)

Anyone whining about macros needs to try harder and stop being lazy. Bioware did not put them in for a reason.

No macros please!

Bind the abilities to your keys. You dont need a 200$ mouse to play the game. My mouse has 2 side buttons and 1 i use for auto run.

Shift+1, 2, 3, F, Q, E, R, etc

Ctrl+1, 2, 3, F, Q, E, R, etc.

Alt

G buttons for logitech keyboards...

There are so many options. Doing macros is just being lazy.

Besides, if macros get in game they are very easy to abuse.

So a big NO to macros.

Edited by liquidus

A big YES to macros from me. Having to manually target both my guardian and myself to cast shields is getting very tedious. It has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with convenience, especially since I'm doing this before I even enter combat.

This game REALLY needs macros.

I have said this 1000 times before, macros are for players who are either just bad or to lazy to actually wanna play the game themself.Get skills and stop whining.

So much wrong in this post.

It's not about bad or lazy players. Well, perhaps it is if people are asking for skill-sequence macros that let you spam one key in fights. That's a bad design of macros and I hardly think anyone disagree with it.

Macros are just like UI tweaks in my opinion. It's a matter of taste, personal preference and gameplay. I played that other game for almost 7 years now and I used a lot of macros for all my characters. No exploits as some people call it, but small things that make my gaming experience better.

Mouseover targeting for example. It makes raid healing so much more enjoyable in my opinion. Or if you are tanking a group of mobs and one of them break free and go for the healer - does it make me a bad player or exploiter if I can taunt the mob back by hovering my mouse over its nameplate and activate taunt rather than have to first click it and then taunt?

Macros can be used to save up key-binds and make your actionbars less cluttered. It can be such a simple thing like you having three different abilities binded to 1, alt + 1 and ctrl + 1 to take up three actionbar slots, and instead put them in a macro with some simple modifers. Same number of abilities, same keybinds, but only takes one actionbar slot instead of three.

No one is asking for skill-sequence macros that takes away the decision of action from the player. All people are asking for is quality of life changes.

Edited by Battousaien

Except they are already there. I enjoy PvPing with My G15. As example, whats more awesome than one press one single key to:

select enemy - cast affiction

sleect next enemy - cast affiction

select next enemy - cast affiction

select nearest enemy - instacast shock, if shock on cooldown

cast force lightning, if force lightning on cooldown

cast lightning strike

Except they are already there. I enjoy PvPing with My G15. As example, whats more awesome than one press one single key to:

select enemy - cast affiction

sleect next enemy - cast affiction

select next enemy - cast affiction

select nearest enemy - instacast shock, if shock on cooldown

cast force lightning, if force lightning on cooldown

cast lightning strike

Ye this. Really dedicated players will find ways around this by buying superior equipment and using external add-ons. Is this however how you want the game to be played? Macros will always be a part of MMORPGs (cept for maybe GW2 where you only get 8 skills). To think you can avoid this by not implementing them is just retarded.

What also bothers me about this are that there are so many skills with so similiar effects. Why should I need to push 3 different buttons to do basically the same thing (single target shot with casttime and cd), when it could just as easily be one skill? Just binding up lotsa buttons needlessly and making playing more inconvenient.

Personally I dont see the skillissue with having to stretch your fingers around the keyboard in odd angels or buy expensive crap or download add-ons makes you a better player than someone who is intelligently bundling the right skills he needs in a macro and where everyone are given the same tools.

Macros now please. Im not saying its a gamebreaking issue, but it will definitiely improve the gaming experience.

Edited by Niconogood

the hell with macros.

they practically destroy rotations.

example:

your rotation is 1 4 3 2 5 7 1

without macros: you have to time your cd's and watch your stuff -> needs skill

WITH macros: you put everything in one button and mash it all the time -> needs no skill at all.

not having macros is good to separate high skill players from non skill players.

only thing that might be usefull are mouseover heals, which could be implemented by a simple keyboard modifier or something similar.

Macros do give people an advantage but everyone has access to them so it's not really unfair. The main thing I used them for was targeting in arenas and that definitely gave me an edge I liked. They aren't hard to set up and my guess is BW will implement them eventually. It makes healing a lot easier too, mouse-overs are very nice.

the hell with macros.

example:

WITH macros: you put everything in one button and mash it all the time -> needs no skill at all.

not having macros is good to separate high skill players from non skill players.

only thing that might be usefull are mouseover heals, which could be implemented by a simple keyboard modifier or something similar.

Spamming a macro that goes through the rotation like that would work on tank and spank bosses, but if BW is any good at boss design, you won't be sitting there only attacking one target. Anyone who macroes like that wouldn't be able to adapt to much on the fly. And good luck mashing a macro like that in pvp.

the hell with macros.

example:

Bolded part: I agree. But you can have macros in the game without turning it into a one-key mashing game - it all depends on how Bioware code it if/when they implant it.

A macro doesn't necessarily mean that you create a one-key macro with all your abilities in it (far, far from it actually). It can be used for so much, and if you people fail to see that I'm sorry for your narrow-mindness.

Edited by Battousaien

I have said this 1000 times before, macros are for players who are either just bad or to lazy to actually wanna play the game themself.Get skills and stop whining.

Yes, the people who place time and effort into finding the most efficient way to game are clearly "bad players", whereas the players who are too lazy to tweak their efficiency are the "good players".

Yep, you nailed it, buddy.