Retcons in SWTOR

Sangiban

One day I sat and realised there are quite a few retcons in this game. I thought 'surely there would be a thread on this somewhere.' Several google searches later, we come to this point. This thread will simply be where you can list and talk about the retcons in SWTOR. If it's something big, please use the spoiler tag.

To start us off:

• It has been established that Jedi invented lightsabers and that the Dark Jedi Exiles likely had them, but swords were far more common among the ancient Sith. However the Sith during the Red Reaper flashpoint are using lightsabers. Why? They wouldn't have that technology.

• Khem Val says that "I have not felt this full since the battles of Yn and Chabosh, when Veshikk Urk and I followed our masters into war and feasted on armies of Jedi!"
    When Tulak Hord was alive, the Sith were still undiscovered by the greater galaxy. We don't know exactly when Tulak Hord lived, but it was most likely centuries before the Great Hyperspace War. He wouldn't have fought Jedi.

It has been established that Jedi invented lightsabers and that the Dark Jedi Exiles likely had them, but swords were far more common among the ancient Sith. However the Sith during the Red Reaper flashpoint are using lightsabers. Why? They wouldn't have that technology.

I'm not completely familiar with the EU timeline, but as far as I'm aware the Red Reaper involves the return of Darth Ikoral - a pureblood Sith of the current Empire - from his expedition to seek out other purebloods who were not part of the Empire. It stands to reason that he'd just show them how to make lightsabers if they didn't already know.

"Ikoral convinced the Dark Council to allow an expedition to search for pureblood Sith outside the Empire - Sith who fled Korriban after the Great Hyperspace War and did not escape with the Emperor to Dromund Kaas. When Ikoral failed to return, he was celebrated as a martyr, but it seems Ikoral succeeded in his search"

Edited by Bleeters

One day I sat and realised there are quite a few retcons in this game. I thought 'surely there would be a thread on this somewhere.' Several google searches later, we come to this point. This thread will simply be where you can list and talk about the retcons in SWTOR. If it's something big, please use the spoiler tag.

To start us off:

• It has been established that Jedi invented lightsabers and that the Dark Jedi Exiles likely had them, but swords were far more common among the ancient Sith. However the Sith during the Red Reaper flashpoint are using lightsabers. Why? They wouldn't have that technology.

• Khem Val says that "I have not felt this full since the battles of Yn and Chabosh, when Veshikk Urk and I followed our masters into war and feasted on armies of Jedi!"
    When Tulak Hord was alive, the Sith were still undiscovered by the greater galaxy. We don't know exactly when Tulak Hord lived, but it was most likely centuries before the Great Hyperspace War. He wouldn't have fought Jedi.

Concerning the Red Reaper incident, Darth Ikoral most likely shared the technology behind lightsabers with his newly found pure blooded Sith. No biggie in there IMO, since he had like a century to do that..

When it comes to Tulak Hord, I find that far more intriguing, since I remember Kreia in Sith Lords calling him one of the greatest lightsaber duelists of his time, which should place him AFTER the Great Hyperspace War. Most likely an oversight as well or something we're missing but just pointing out that TOR kinda follows Sith Lord's blueprint, when it comes to how confusing is to place Tulak Hord's reign in the timeline.

Regarding lightsabers, Wookiepedia says that the first lightsabers were created had to be connected to power packs to function, as seen here: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120409105446/starwars/images/6/6b/Protosaber_EGTW.jpg and here: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071006172138/starwars/images/0/05/Archaiclightsaber.JPG

The wiki says that Protosabers were used during the Hundred-Year Darkness and Great Hyperspace War by Jedi, Dark Jedi, and Sith alike. Since protosabers were used by Sith, but they aren't very common as Ajunta Pall(one of the exiles) used a sword. A sword we had to collect in KOTOR 1, so we know he had it. He also must've had a protosaber, so lightsabers amongst the ancient Sith might've been A) something used only by the highest Sith or B) down to personal prefrence. After much thought I can agree that the Sith during Red Reaper had lightsabers because A) Ikoral taught them or B) they preferred the weapon to what they had. Though it is a little strange how some of them aren't using swords.

Onto Tulak Hord, I don't think he could've been after the Great Hyperspace War because at the end of the war several Sith fled whilst Korriban was obliterated. There wouldn't be anyway they could bury Tulak Hord on Korriban. There must be a writing error with Khem, because after the Great Hyperspace War the Sith were in hiding, not fighting Jedi. It's very confusing as to when Tulak Hord lived exactly. Kreia does complicate things by saying he was a master lightsaber duelist, though it was probably a writing error on Obsidian's part.

Perhaps there was a second coming...a Two-lak Hord, if you will, who lived at a different time?

Or perhaps not. Perhaps I just wanted to make the pun.

That would be a bit hard for me to accept, but less of a bitter pill that TCW and Bariss Offee (makes me glad I stopped watching that show:().

Sangiban, huh? I have to admit, I didn't think I'd see a reference to a fifth-century Alan king on these forums. Woo. Constantius III and Sarus were pretty awesome, Aetius was painfully overrated, Anthemios was just as, if not more, baller than Maiorianus, and Attila was a punk.

Onto Tulak Hord, I don't think he could've been after the Great Hyperspace War because at the end of the war several Sith fled whilst Korriban was obliterated. There wouldn't be anyway they could bury Tulak Hord on Korriban. There must be a writing error with Khem, because after the Great Hyperspace War the Sith were in hiding, not fighting Jedi. It's very confusing as to when Tulak Hord lived exactly. Kreia does complicate things by saying he was a master lightsaber duelist, though it was probably a writing error on Obsidian's part.

Tomb construction doesn't have much of a bearing on tomb dating. Naga Sadow was exiled to Yavin Four after the Great Hyperspace War, kept himself in suspended animation, and "died" eventually (although it's unclear who actually killed him between Freedon Nadd and the Jedi Master Barel Ovair. Yet a tomb was somehow constructed on Korriban for Sadow all the same; it was ancient by the time Revan's Sith Academy was built on the planet, and remained there through the existence of the current Sith Empire. Tulak Hord's tomb might also have been constructed there in the same fashion.

All this is, of course, to cover up that the writers are just taking names from a Sith Lord Grab Bag without much thought to plausibility.