Marauders / Sentinels

Leathen

Not really. If anything kills sub numbers it's one class dominating the game. Just ask Warhammer players :p Not saying that it was the only thing wrong in that game though.

This.

IMO more people unsubscribe from a game due to inbalance than those quitting cus they were 'nerfed'

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it a couple times: Why can't every class be OP? If everyone can destroy everyone else if caught off-guard, and then that guy can spawn and blast that guy right back, it's fun for both.

Being nerfed is never fun for anyone except those who were already nerfed getting a vindictive kind of "Ha! Now you get to feel my misery, fool!"

I am not advocating a one-shot gibfest either, I just think it should be about matching cooldowns, not perfecting high-damage rotations. "If he goes for this move, I have this defense. If I don't have this defense ready, well ****, he's going to hurt, but I can then stab him for a similar amount because he dropped defenses to go for that attack."

MMOs need more of that kind of thing, imo.

I sort of do that on my shadow depending on what I'm up against.

Fair point. I know that finding the right balance is certainly not going to be easy. But right now, my commando medic feels like a chew toy. However, I wouldn't want Commandos to become dominant like pallies, because I will probably like it and then QQ when we eventually get the nerf-bat. I say keep maras/sents where they are but throw me a bone - anything. I like this game too much to quit if I don't get what I think this class needs - I will just reroll into another FOTM class.

I wouldn't mind that, you guys are the least wanted DPS atm. You guys deserve a little something ... PB&J sandwich? I don't think a bone is very appetizing

All joking aside, this is what it boils down to. Either way you look at it, imbalance kills subs in MMOs. Either nerfs so severe that they force people to re-learn how to play their favorite class (or reroll into a different class), or buffs to another class that makes it nearly unbeatable. Notice I said "nearly". Tbh, Sentinels are the toughest to take 1v1 in PvP. Possible, but also damn difficult. All things being equal, with all cooldowns ready to go, Sents/Maras are killable by a competent player with equal gear. The trick is finding the right balance through nerfs or buffs to each respective class.

I hate nerfs, so don't get me wrong. Unfortunately, if one class is OP, they are bound to get the nerfbat eventually. Mostly because of the "Nerfherders" who come on here QQing about how Sentinels or Marauders are so OP. A buff to the other classes would work just as well, though. I believe that with due dilligence on the part of the Developers, balance can be reached with a minimum of nerfing, and with some slight buffs to everyone else.

You may be right.. rogues do use guns, knives, range dps aoe and are best healers usually. All kidding aside they probably are technically because of the backstabs, stealth, poison and so on. Thing is they usually just heal now and I've never had any problems killing them or them killing me even before the nerf months and months ago. Never heard anyone say "*** this op just snuck up and killed me so fast I couldn't react quick enough." Maybe it's just having two lightsabers and being the melee dps only class why i feel like a rogue more on a marauder. I think we need even better defensive cd's such as full stealth and being able to vanish completely. Marauders are so under-powered compared to everyone else. I hope bioware fixes this before every mara/sent quits from frustration. I'm gonna make a QQ thread about us needing buffed a lot more. It's just not fair... :mad:

The Assassin is actually closer to an old style enhancement shaman from WoW than it is a rogue.

I remember these days..http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=99515

Funny to see it turned around on everyone that hated on marauders back then. I won't lie after 1.2 was the first time i really enjoyed playing my class. The first week was the greatest. Suddenly these people that would kill me all the time, and never wan't a marauder were upset marauders could actually kill them. It was sweet revenge to kill people who thought they were just better. They always said L2p your class noob! :D They refused to accept what problems the developers acknowledged, and all of us knew first hand from playing the class. :p

People are saying it's just our defensive cd's that make us OP yet we had the same back then, and not 1 person said such nonsense. There was 10 million more people playing at the time too. :confused:

Edited by SithSamael

In nearly every MMO I've played that has had imbalance issues between classes you always get these threads talking about the OP classes and a majority of the time when threads get this large (We're almost at 40 pages? Christ.) The class/classes are nerfed in a later patch because generally, the class actually -is- stronger than the intended direction the developers had in mind.

Try and make an OP thread about classes that are generally considered "Average" or "Underpowered" and see how far it gets, it'd be lucky to get past the first page.

I just don't see why it's so hard to admit something when 40 pages of crap is telling you otherwise.

In nearly every MMO I've played that has had imbalance issues between classes you always get these threads talking about the OP classes and a majority of the time when threads get this large (We're almost at 40 pages? Christ.) The class/classes are nerfed in a later patch because generally, the class actually -is- stronger than the intended direction the developers had in mind.

Try and make an OP thread about classes that are generally considered "Average" or "Underpowered" and see how far it gets, it'd be lucky to get past the first page.

I just don't see why it's so hard to admit something when 40 pages of crap is telling you otherwise.

Wow you must not understand at least half the people posting here are marauders laughing at the cry baby losers who can't even grasp simple facts. Lot's of others are just random players laughing at the same handful of people that QQ OP NERF NERF NERF

I will go so far as to delete my account if the devs think anyone here crying is right and nerf us because of it. They screw things up a lot, but they aren't that stupid I hope. There's also the fact that if they did nerf they would lose about 400000 subscribers (half the current population) at least. Not gonna happen so stop wasting your time.

Edited by SithSamael

Do away with UR and give us a true universal CC. In objective based gameplay, CC wins games. In rated Warzones, Marauders are valued for their group buffs, particularly in the carnage tree. UR may be useful for running through fires in huttball, but other classes have stuns with the means to prolong their life well beyond the survivability of a Marauder. I would be satisfied with a consolidation of defensive clowns. One less of the 20+ abilities we have to mmanage.

Wow you must not understand at least half the people posting here are marauders laughing at the cry baby losers who can't even grasp simple facts. Lot's of others are just random players laughing at the same handful of people that QQ OP NERF NERF NERF

I will go so far as to delete my account if the devs think anyone here crying is right and nerf us because of it. They screw things up a lot, but they aren't that stupid I hope. There's also the fact that if they did nerf they would lose about 400000 subscribers (half the current population) at least. Not gonna happen so stop wasting your time.

Regardless if a majority of the thread is pointless dribble it still shows a highly contested area of conflict within the community, you don't see these type of threads with the less powerful classes.

As for trying to nerf the two classes in question I don't have an opinion one way or the other about it, don't play one and probably never will but you certainly begin noticing trends on what is considered the new "FOTM" classes.

Edited by MalakDawnfire

• Dev Post

Hello everyone,

We do appreciate when anyone has taken the time to express their thoughts and concerns. We will be closing this thread, as there is little room for constructive discussion. However, we do value any feedback and do encourage anyone to voice their feedback on the forums. We only ask that feedback focus on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ itself, and that it is constructive and as detailed as possible.

We thank you for your time and your understanding that we've closed this thread.