Star Wars Galaxies

Buffy_bites

I am sorry a game you loved got shutdown it's always rough when that happens but... you know what they say when you assume.. saying you might not be playing is fine... saying no one will play is just dumb.

Also it was nice for Bioware to even give SWG players a forum to vent/talk in might wanna be a little nicer and show some respect they didn't have to you know.

There is no disrespect to Bioware at all. Just giving my feedback to them, and if others give same reasons why they too will not play SWTOR, and Bioware can make it happen then fine.

I will be playing SWTOR for the story, so I will be playing it, but I do not see myself playing it once I have completed it. Where I say I see no one playing it, is just opinion, as I have not seen anyone post to say that there is enough in the game to keep them playing. I saw one person who played the game to death in Beta and just burned out on it already. I have been playing SWG for over 8 years, and even with the NGE, I feel far from burned out on it, along with many others. I feel I could play SWG forever and ever. The only thing that stopped a lot of people playing was the drastic changes of the NGE, not the game itself, and SWTOR is more or less like NGE but with several years in development unlike NGE which was only a few months.

Like I said, will have to see what Bioware churns out - no disrespect at all. Maybe by the tme I have finished with the stories, there will be more added through updates and expansions, that will prove me wrong.

Edited by Buffy_bites

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my first MMO.

Yeah.... I loved exploring in it. Seeing the Star Wars universe was amazing. Some of the sandbox elements were also cool like the player cities that would grow around outside the major planetary hubs.

HOWEVER The endless grinding was freaking HORRIBLE. The fact that if you wanted to do anything you had to see an entertainer and "tip" them several thousand credits so you would be buff enough to fight enemeis that gave good xp. Not to mention how you would have to WAIT IN A LINE just to get a buff was insane.

The really boring and repetitive missions that almost always seemed buggy

yeah I'm glad that game is dead.

I joined SWG just after the NGE hit. To be honest I loved the game regardless. It was a fun world. I loved the free, open space combat the most. Owning and decorating a house in the world was great as well.

I left SWG when I lost my job and just couldn't afford to play anymore. I went back a few times though.

I last left around christmas last year. When I heard it was closing I tried to rejoin but I was too late to get back in.

There are of course still ways to play pre-cu SWG. When I first tried it the feeling was completely different and it felt more rewarding to learn skills that I used rather than levels. It reminded me of when I used to play Ultima Online.

Out of respect for bioware I won't discuss that aspect anymore on their forums. I only mention it because it was the first time I was able to play it the way it was meant to be played.

The way I see it, SWTOR is a world you play in, SWG was a world you lived in.

SWG was complete rubbish like most sony ventures - worst effort on content creation ever. And quite frankly I'm getting annoyed by all the fanboys that talk about it like it was good when it was mostly all in their heads. The KOTOR roots are what make this game so awesome with modern mmo and content to boot - real talent.

I played SWG in the first year when it took a great effort to become a Jedi (no I didnt make it to Jedi then). You had to master 5 profesions to unlock the Jedi quest or something like that. I Mastered a Rifleman/swordsman, and was basicly unstopable.

Also remember going to the high level planet, joining a group so you could get the high payout quests, and then complete them solo. you also had to make sure you were not too close to another group member so you didnt share your quest reward. Cranked up millions of credits.

I was in a guild that had a city, and soon enough I was the only one that played so I took over the guild. I quit SWG shortly after Jump to light speed came out, and went to WoW. I think I logged in for one week after the CU but didnt like it very much.

I have been reminiscing about the years I played SWG. It was my very first MMO and my computer could not even play it when I bought the game. I actually waited for over a year to play that first time and finally got a computer that could play it. It was so amazing!! I remember building my first house, crafting and making macros to craft huge volume. I remember waiting in line for buffs from doctors. I remember changing to a dancer musician and spending days buffing people in cantinas and just chatting all day. Those were the good days. Then I tried to follow my brother to FFXI. I played that for about a year and then came back to SWG. I came back just a few days before the first major blow to the game.

I cannot remember the exact name of the first major redux but I remember it changed the game so dramatically I was not even sure I was playing the same game; some title like combat upgrade or something I think. I remember that I felt disgusted by getting some plaque in game commemorating this event. Nevertheless, I had not played in the space expansion at that point and I did enjoy relearning some of the changes. But the changes just continued. It seemed like every week there was a total revamp of the game. It felt more and more confusing, and empty. I sadly left the game 5 yrs ago and went to WoW. I have not played WoW actively for 6 months. I have my subscription, and I have an amazing guild there. Secretly I always hoped for a reason to come back to Star Wars.

So I followed the development of the game. No so closely as some, but enough to wonder if I would come back, what it would be like? I took the plunge and pre-ordered and now I am waiting along with millions to experience this extremely hyped game. The whole thing comes full circle now because I am on a Mac so I had to bootcamp and install Windows to even play the game; again the lengths I will go to. I loves this franchise and I love being able to play in this universe. I am not a super fan, just a fan. I hope I will enjoy this game; chances are good.

Today I guess I feel a sadness at knowing that this time I will not be waiting in line for buffs from doctors, or inviting guests into my finely decorated (painstaking process and highly lucrative in SWG) home, or spending a few hours dancing for friends and strangers.

I thought I would miss SWG and I really did for a time, our old player city disappearing into the lokian sands as house after house vanished, but then we have SWTOR it won't be the same but I hope it will be worth the wait.

I am lucky old friends from SWG are resurfacing after years away on these new forums and I hope to see more of them ingame and all the new friends we will make along the way.

The real truth is it's the people we meet and enjoy time with not the game itself that just helps us enjoy eachothers company more.

*raising a glass to friends lost but not forgotten and new friends not yet met*

SWG gave me countless hours of fun.

I played since they introduced speeders. Spend years tinkering with houses.

Mining for crafters, taking 'cadets' through our space program.

PVP battles in deep space, player owned cities fighting off waves of storm troopers and

AT-ST's. In server events organised with devs.

In all honesty I probably played the game far too much, and spent a fortune on sub's over nearly 8 years.

However its time has come and passed, we have our memories.

Now I am looking forward to making new ones. Good luck to everyone and roll

on SWTOR.

Even though I'm Scottish, I played on US server Corbantis and it was my first proper MMO (played Jumpgate before). Being a Star Wars fan since way back I loved it and can remember people going out of their way to help newbies which I haven't seen much of in any game since.

I started way before NGE and CU but even then it had so much right with it (player cities, crafting to a point, limited force sensitive toons, class building) and also alot wrong (shooting through walls, horrible balance issues, horrible grinding) but the main thing that kept me playing it was it was STAR WARS!

I did the whole profession grind to unlock my jedi slot (20+ mastered). Was pretty underwhelmed by it once I got there though.

Shout out to old friends from Corbantis especially Angene who bought and sold my buffs, her hubby who saved my jedi from a ganking at least once and the DC crew (Calis, Tav and co.)

To be fair it did a lot of things well.

Huge open worlds, player housing, player cities, one of the best attempts at a market i've seen in a long while, a fully player driven economy is difficult.

I quite liked the character system, how you could mix and match skills to suit what you needed to do. I played before speeders and all that jazz which lessened the fun for me somewhat. But me and my mate used to truddle off into the wilderness hunting, or trying to 2 man the tusken fort or other such things.

Crafting was spectacular, and i have yet to see any game come close to making such a good system.

But times change, TOR will be equally good in its own way given time.

Just logging in and getting the music still gives me goosebumps. As a player from beta 3 right through them wrecking it totally with the NGE I loved the game and the people who made Starsider the awesome place it was. Sadly, the NGE did change the game too much. I've logged back in recently but it's just not the same game I fell in love with all those years ago.

RIP!

I was also from Starsider. A bunch of friends and I made the city "Sintari" on Dantooine.

Anyways, SW:G was my first MMO experience and I loved it. It was awesome being a Creature Handler running around with a huge *** Rancor....or two. Then get to basically loan them out to other people so they could use them to quest or whatever. Man...those were the days. Oh...and Teras Kasi. When people first maxed that out, they could kill anything in the game. After that I think SOE just swung the nerf bat entirely too much. Killed it.

thank god they are shutting that horrible game down! i've been asking for that, for a long while. Just really hoping they go bankrupt and all the idiots at SOE end up on the streets and picking food out of dumpsters

Hi I am John Smedley and I approve of this message!

Meh.... it was my first MMO, and I was so excited about it.....right until it launched. Took a day before I could even log in, and then so much about the game wasn't what I expected.

My quitting point was when they finally made clear that the way of unlocking your FS slots was to master two random professions. Grinding is bad enough as is, but that was just ridiculous.

thank god they are shutting that horrible game down! i've been asking for that, for a long while. Just really hoping they go bankrupt and all the idiots at SOE end up on the streets and picking food out of dumpsters

While I didn't enjoy either time I tried playing SWG, before and after the NGE patch, I would never wish such ill will on SWG or SOE. I'm not even a fan of SOE either!

It wasn't the worst game I've ever played, and no one ever forced me to play it. I assume no one at SOE forced you to either. I tried it because a couple of my friends insisted I give it a chance, but I couldn't get into it and I won't go into a wall of text about it; however, my friends understood and I certainly didn't berate them for enjoying it either. /shrug

I miss the people I played with, not really the 5 different combat styles the game put forward. <_< If anything, I do miss pre-cu because of it's sandbox style, but we'll never see a game like that funded like TOR, soooo..... Guess I can dumb down and just accept what bioware thinks will make me happy? <_< lol

The first 6 months of SWG has to be one of the BEST or the BEST MMORPG's ever!!!

1) Corpse Runs

2) No Alts

3) No LvLs

4) Best Crafting in any MMO

5) what seemed like millions of different clothing for character customization.

6) Game never felt like a grind

7) Player interaction or Server Community has to be the closet I've ever seen in an MMO. (there be times when you log on and never engaged combat......just hanging out in the local cantina chatting it up)

8) PvP battles at Anchorhead

9) Monthly Story Arcs

10) Entertainer profession has ever and will never be duplicated. This class truely defined the RGP in MMORPG....

Dam way to much to list........thou the game started its decline after Pre-Pub 9, then the CU and then CU2 and NGE.

So much waste of development time instead of focusing on what the players wanted which was more content

SWG had to go due to the contract between Lucas Arts and EA/BW. The CEO of Lucas Arts gave EA/BW exclusive rights to Star Wars Online gaming. George Lucas was upset about this as both games should have been able to co-exist. Lucas then fired the CEO.

Not true sorry. Otherwise there wouldn't be Clone Wars Adventures, which is considered an MMO even though it isn't but it is a Star Wars Online game so your analogy is completely false.

And I loved SWG, I played from launch til, NGE and then some after because I missed it, but it never was the same after the nasty gaming experience.

Edited by Thrakensal

By Starsider, do you mean "Starsider" or "Starsider after Bria and Bloodfin Died and Flooded It with 13 Year Old Stupidity"?

xD

By starsider, I mean its RP community forum and the people that ran it, along with many others in the 'RP community'.

My guild (KNR - Iron Citadel server) had its origins in SWG (Corbantis server). We had many, many good times in that game - up until the NGE ruined everything. But, we got the band back together again and are finally in another Star Wars game together!