Does BW Intentionally Break Game During Double XP Week?

MorseGod

Last double XP week had problems. This time, we got a patch that screwed most guilds out of setting an invasion target for a day until a fix was deployed, broken guild banks, and lag so severe that some folks still can't play.

You guys are messing with us, right?

Last double XP week had problems. This time, we got a patch that screwed most guilds out of setting an invasion target for a day until a fix was deployed, broken guild banks, and lag so severe that some folks still can't play.

Your post was not helpful. It was entirely lacking and devoid of reason.

Ergo: Since your post was not helpful, I'm not clicking on your referral link.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I doubt it’s intentional. But it always happens because they introduce new features at the same time. Why can’t we just have a double xp week when the game is running smoothly instead of when we are beta testing a new feature for them.

It’s counter productive because people come back for the double xp and end up leaving just as fast when they are reminded why they left in the first place.

So, with your logic:

BioWare Dev 1: "Hey Steve. I know we've got a big event coming up which will lead to an increase in subscribers and players and playtime. I had an idea."

BioWare Dev 2: "Alright James, what is it?"

BioWare Dev 1: "Why don't we intentionally break the game, so that we then risk driving off this influx of players?"

BioWare Dev 2: "By golly James, you're a genius! We have no reason to do this, but it sounds brilliant!"

I doubt it’s intentional. But it always happens because they introduce new features at the same time. Why can’t we just have a double xp week when the game is running smoothly instead of when we are beta testing a new feature for them.

It’s counter productive because people come back for the double xp and end up leaving just as fast when they are reminded why they left in the first place.

I agree.

Just to add, they never extended lost hours/days of double xp event, like ever. It wouldnt hurt if they did.

Agreed. This would be a sign of good will for f’ing it up in the first place,

Have to admit this is probably the only MMO I know of that doesn't toss players a reward when they mess uo peoples ability to play the game. Usually in most others its to extend sny events etc they may have missed out on while their play was effected, like the double xp

".... so that we then risk driving off this influx of players?"

Sadly, this is what happens every time they do this promo because there is a problem 9/10 times

They need to only run the promo when they are 100% sure there won’t be bugs caused from changes.

I think you unintentionally pointed out, the problems drive of the influx of players. That is a major concern and I cannot fathom why Bioware keep making this same mistake.

They should only do the promo a few weeks after the changes or a few weeks before.

If they do it a few weeks after, they also need to make sure they are super ready to fix any problems for those two weeks before the promo. If they can’t fix them in that time, they should be prepared to roll them back till after the promo.

If problems do crop up during the promo. They need to be on the forums straight away to let people know they are working on it, not 2-3 days later when people have already left. Then they should be ready to offer the promo again as soon as they have properly fixed the problem.

It’s obvious the OP is frustrated, the same as most of us. The title of the thread is obviously sarcasm. But it’s also partially true because Bioware should known by now this happens nearly every time. So running the promo when there is going to be new changes that nearly always have problems is in a way breaking the game during double XP. I don’t think they consciously go out of their way to ruin the event, I think they don’t take risk management serious enough and feel they “will get it right this time” and therefore charge ahead as usual.

Have to admit this is probably the only MMO I know of that doesn't toss players a reward when they mess uo peoples ability to play the game. Usually in most others its to extend sny events etc they may have missed out on while their play was effected, like the double xp

People would be more forgiving and patient if they had this approach.

So, with your logic:

BioWare Dev 1: "Hey Steve. I know we've got a big event coming up which will lead to an increase in subscribers and players and playtime. I had an idea."

BioWare Dev 2: "Alright James, what is it?"

BioWare Dev 1: "Why don't we intentionally break the game, so that we then risk driving off this influx of players?"

BioWare Dev 2: "By golly James, you're a genius! We have no reason to do this, but it sounds brilliant!"

/thread

The only thing I would add after "By golly" is "gee willikers."

<<sips martini>>

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I had no problem setting invasion target after weekly conquest started. And why are you complaining ? I made 550k conquest points this week and that was only like 3 days. Only thing I messed up,is that I set small yield as usual. Had I know it would be this easy, I'd go for medium. If I wanted to tryhard I could set it to large yield and hit that goal as well. It's so easy this week. For past 2 days,I've been just opening boxes and using UC's and all.

Conquest is too easy this week. 1 person should not hit medium yield or large yield goal with ease. That's what guilds are for. And once you hit that small/medium/large yield goal, rest of points don't matter. It's just a no-life measuring contest, so that people see their guild in top 10. I don't care for those achiv titles, only other thing is that for guild leveling. But large guilds are probably already max level.

I had no problem setting invasion target after weekly conquest started. And why are you complaining ? I made 550k conquest points this week and that was only like 3 days. Only thing I messed up,is that I set small yield as usual. Had I know it would be this easy, I'd go for medium. If I wanted to tryhard I could set it to large yield and hit that goal as well. It's so easy this week. For past 2 days,I've been just opening boxes and using UC's and all.

Conquest is too easy this week. 1 person should not hit medium yield or large yield goal with ease. That's what guilds are for. And once you hit that small/medium/large yield goal, rest of points don't matter. It's just a no-life measuring contest, so that people see their guild in top 10. I don't care for those achiv titles, only other thing is that for guild leveling. But large guilds are probably already max level.

I don't know, seeing these numbders actually made me play across characters more this week. It's fun and just because I can earn more than 5x than average per toon this week doesn't mean no one else can and I NEVER play with conquest goals in mind. It's largely useless to my smaller guilds because we can't compete seriously.

I don't know, seeing these numbders actually made me play across characters more this week. It's fun and just because I can earn more than 5x than average per toon this week doesn't mean no one else can and I NEVER play with conquest goals in mind. It's largely useless to my smaller guilds because we can't compete seriously.

Once it's past guild invasion goal, I stop caring. I don't compete for top spot or even top 10 or top 100 or whatever. Over 170k, gg done.

Yes everyone can earn easy conquest this week. I never said otherwise. What I said is that,it's waaay too easy. A single person should not hit EASY medium yield or large yield goal. No matter how many alts you go through.

And again I also enjoyed it,since I did it on 14 alts, butif it's gonna be this easy,they should raise cap for guild invasion goals. This game should not be a job,but at the same time it shouldn't be delivered on silver plater.

My gunslinger has around 67k conquest points. And that was from 2 days ago. I did first 2 days all heroics and dailies on Dantooine and 3rd day just 3 heroics. If I kept going,like I did and not even tryharding...just 30min and bam conquest weekly don over and over again. If I did this for 6 days, gunslinger alone would have over 150k conquest points. Then imagine me doing that with 13 other alts. WAY TOO EASY:

Once it's past guild invasion goal, I stop caring. I don't compete for top spot or even top 10 or top 100 or whatever. Over 170k, gg done.

Yes everyone can earn easy conquest this week. I never said otherwise. What I said is that,it's waaay too easy. A single person should not hit EASY medium yield or large yield goal. No matter how many alts you go through.

And again I also enjoyed it,since I did it on 14 alts, butif it's gonna be this easy,they should raise cap for guild invasion goals. This game should not be a job,but at the same time it shouldn't be delivered on silver plater.

WAY TOO EASY:

Yeah so far I've not had a problem with it. Not sure what the OP is talking about.

But like you I would have set for a higher yield as we have one player in our guild who does nothing but play one toon most the time & does conquest. Last night he was at almost 300k I think? lol

As for your "easy" commment, conquest isn't supposed to be hard though. And it's been in game well long enough to allow it to be easy to just stack points. Next week it won't be that easy. No double points & no dantooine. We will see then if it's as easy to stack points.

The more people that guild has, easier to hit guild invasion goal. And alot of people run to like 3-4 alts and then some,who have even more than that.

Personally going overbaord on single toon isn't worth it to me. I hit 15k on a toon...next one. My advice for your guildmate, is that he creates more alts of same class,if he enjoys one class alot. Then he can throw gear in legacy gear and easily move gear from alt to alt. Let's use your 300k for example...instead of getting just 1 reward (scraps,mats,framework,etc) he could get 15 + of those,if he did it on 15 alts. Of course that is alot and it's Dantooine week, where conquest points rack up fast.

But in genral, when it's "normal" week of conquest...hit 15k personal,switch to next alt. Even before Dantooine, with 10 alts you can get easy 170k+ conquest points doing conquest objectives. But not as fast like Dantooine's half an hour.

They have repeatedly stated in livestreams when they address the "extend the double XP/CXP events" question that the code does not work that way. They can't just extend it the way you guys suggest they should. Every single time this comes up, people act like they are being obtuse by not extending the event when they have repeatedly said that they straight up cannot do that because the code base for this game doesn't work that way.

Now what they could to is to plan these double XP/CXP events when there are NOT patches with code changes or system changes and the accompanying bugs. They could also run the events more often so that people don't feel like they missed out on them as often if a few days aren't 100% available. In my experience, they offer these events often enough that it really shouldn't matter so much... but that's just my opinion and I don't speak for anybody but me.

But I think we can all agree that the title of this thread is silly. Of course they don't break their game intentionally. :rolleyes:

They have repeatedly stated in livestreams when they address the "extend the double XP/CXP events" question that the code does not work that way. They can't just extend it the way you guys suggest they should. Every single time this comes up, people act like they are being obtuse by not extending the event when they have repeatedly said that they straight up cannot do that because the code base for this game doesn't work that way.

Now what they could to is to plan these double XP/CXP events when there are NOT patches with code changes or system changes and the accompanying bugs. They could also run the events more often so that people don't feel like they missed out on them as often if a few days aren't 100% available. In my experience, they offer these events often enough that it really shouldn't matter so much... but that's just my opinion and I don't speak for anybody but me.

But I think we can all agree that the title of this thread is silly. Of course they don't break their game intentionally. :rolleyes:

Are they hiring programmers or alchemists? I can't think of a single engineering-based reason they wouldn't be able to extend a double XP event. Like by creating a new one that is another week, for example. If they are hiring alchemists, I have some bear claws I would like to sell them. The sweet treats, not the components of a bear. They will need the energy for their long days of attempting to get results through experimentation.

Are they hiring programmers or alchemists? I can't think of a single engineering-based reason they wouldn't be able to extend a double XP event. Like by creating a new one that is another week, for example. If they are hiring alchemists, I have some bear claws I would like to sell them. The sweet treats, not the components of a bear. They will need the energy for their long days of attempting to get results through experimentation.

Reason being as has been stated in the past was that the code is set weeks in advance for events like this. It's not something they can change on the fly.

Reason being as has been stated in the past was that the code is set weeks in advance for events like this. It's not something they can change on the fly.

They've had 8 some odd years and their excuse is it's set weeks in advance, a system that they themselves created and maintain. Omg.

"Hey boss, can't come into work today."

"Why?"

"Well I took my car apart, so I can't get there."

"You couldn't have done this on a day off?"

"I mean, I planned it months in advance doing it today, it's out of my hands, boss."

Agreed.

Hm, had no lag problem except at the entrance of 1 building on Black Hole, or when my sister was using our connexion too (but this is always the case, not just during double xp).

Though, what i don't get is : Why don't they plan double xp/cxp a week or 2 before a big patch instead of after ?

Or even have it 2 weeks after the new changes to allow for problems to be fixed first.

This was the 2nd week of the patch cycle. If they wanted to move it back to the 3rd week of the patch cycle, it wouldn't have fallen on the Pirate Invasion event at all.

This was the 2nd week of the patch cycle. If they wanted to move it back to the 3rd week of the patch cycle, it wouldn't have fallen on the Pirate Invasion event at all.

Yes, that’s sort of what I meant. I didn’t mean the actual second week. I meant two or even three weeks between it being released and the start of the double XP.

I feel they need at least full two weeks to sort out problems before they offer double XP. Or another option could be a “beta test” double XP event that is offered and people know that’s exactly what it is. Then they offer normal double XP event a month later after all the bugs have been smoothed out.