Forum Policy Update

AllisonBerryman

Ohh finally it arrived.. i was wondering when they will punish all the haters :D

Well i only disagree with Cartel Shop, Cartel Shop should be Free ( bound if collected by subscriber for some items ) ) to subscribers.. everything else is okay...[[ yeah yeah insert flames here ]]

I dont get why peopel complain about bioware... really..

Edited by Prysha

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.... I dunno how i feel about this. I've gotten a few warning and I read the PM scratching my head asking my self: "What?!". There are some really sally-ish people complaining or whomever is watching the forums has never experienced real life conversations. Don't get me wrong, there are some obvious trolling posters/threads here, but don't yell/disagree/infract/ban me because I disagree with a design direction choice. I'm a paying customer, if I don't like the dish you served me I'm going to complain, I'm not going to sit there and eat and ask for seconds when I'm paying for it. . You all need to man the heck up.

I'm 40+ years old, I'm retired army, sometimes I expect people to have thick skin when I offer criticism whether they like it or not. I'm not out to be a dick but I like to point out what I see is obvious. Having a forum where the Ministry of Speech is watching everything we post to make sure Bioware approves the smurfs are always happy disturbs me. Why even have a forum when all you want to hear is happiness? Hell, hire a prostitute if you want sweet talk.

Why should we care about providing feedback and constructive criticism? Everytime you have announced the balance changes on PTS, those were always final and got roled into the game, no amount of feedback made you change anything.

And now you are going to ban us as well? Ok...

Edited by NoTomorrow

I do want to respond to a few things here, but for posters who feel this way, I think the only real proof will be in actions, not in more words.

We do hope the forums will become more constructive as we increase participation, and it is our full intent to be more involved here. We will post more, but we will expect community members to respect each other (and yes, to be civil to us as well).

Generally, as I mentioned before, we give plenty of warnings before someone gets banned. We won't notify in the case of every thread that we remove (especially threads that are really just spam), but in the majority of cases, we contact people when we remove entire threads. We also issue warnings before infractions, and we know that everyone deserve a chance to learn the rules and become comfortable with them. We're not frothing, ban-hammer swinging maniacs, but we do want to see more constructive discourse and much less "haters vs fanboys" and personal attacks.

As I also mentioned before, our intent isn't just to ban anyone who has something negative to say about the game. I think a quick look at first page of General Discussion at any given time will prove pretty definitively that we're not just trying to remove every single thread that says something negative about the game. However, we DO want the people who insult others and who can't discuss topics without resorting to personal attacks gone. We want the people who think it's entertaining to make people angry on the forums gone.

In short, if you WANT to follow the rules and share your feedback and criticism, and can do so without attacking others or being rude, you don't have anything to worry about.

Now, for our end of the deal, we know what we need to do, and that's get out in the forums more. We will be doing that, and we do hope that it has a positive impact on the forums overall.

Ever since F2P launch I've been very critical of customer service of this game. I even made a forum signature for the first time in my life for that purpose. Why?

Because I've lost any respect for you as CS representatives or the work you've done. I am not a hater even though I know I represent one if we use forum terminology. I simply don't see any reason to not bash you since I see your work as un-professional and many times insulting with the amount of ignorance you've shown so far.

My vocal and harsh words have resulted in 3 infractions and partial forum ban so far.

But now you say you want to turn a new page. Great! I welcome the day when I will feel the need to deleted my sig.

Reading the OP of this thread got me worried, as it reads as you want to turn this forum into something that was happening (or maybe still is) on GW2's forum. That one was managed as a nazi camp forum with deletion of almost any thread that wasn't either praising their game or had overwhelming amount of suggestions. Because you see, being constructive is not something that is black/white. Even a criticism alone can be considered constructive enough, if you read it as such. Which means that everything we'll write here will be evaluated by one of you. That by itself is not a problem, but your views about "constructive" could become one. I will let myself be surprised, so let's just wait and see how this will turn up.

I welcome your desire to better this forum and it's importance with all my heart. But it is you, CS dept, that will have to do most work. Because you will have to earn our respect back. Not us.

You are professionals and do not have the luxury of being offended, angry or insulted. Sorry, I know how harsh that sounds , but it's the direct result of financial system you implemented. Simply put, we pay for your professionalism, so we can expect more from you than you can from us. Sad , but true.

You made a promise to work more and harder. To "get out in the forums more". Now, a promise like that should not have to be made in a first place, but let's forget that. Prove it to us by actually participating in our threads, discussions and ideas more. And do it in all sub-forums, not only in CS one. That alone will help a lot.

Long overdue imho. Proven fact that less then 15% of the player base actually reads the forums in just about any MMO. Its been this way forever. After being here since launch I've probably made less then a dozen posts here due to having to wade through a bunch of garbage to get to any substance as most posters are bashing...something or someone and not adding anything. I enjoy this game just fine with what little gaming time I have, and don't make it my lifes drama to come here and make a soap opera out of a video game. I unsub from time to time quietly as the game changes and I dont agree , and have never felt the need to come here full of self entitlement and rage over it. There are many many here that need to think about this.

Gl with this endeavor.

I welcome your desire to better this forum and it's importance with all my heart. But it is you, CS dept, that will have to do most work. Because you will have to earn our respect back. Not us.

Actually if you want to take a properly mature attitude you would declare a clean slate now you have seen this, accept that your previous criticism has been listened to and see what happens. I disagree that they have to earn our respect back, especially if you see the amount of stuff they have to put up with from other people it is more like we as a community have to earn back their respect.

Personally I should say that I wasn't around on the forums at the time this thread was made, but there are still lots of trolls around so it must have been awful previously.

Actually if you want to take a properly mature attitude you would declare a clean slate now you have seen this, accept that your previous criticism has been listened to and see what happens. I disagree that they have to earn our respect back, especially if you see the amount of stuff they have to put up with from other people it is more like we as a community have to earn back their respect.

Personally I should say that I wasn't around on the forums at the time this thread was made, but there are still lots of trolls around so it must have been awful previously.

I understand you point of view but don't agree with it. They posted this in August when I quit for few months. Came back with F2P launch and what do I see? Even less of their efforts.

CS in this game, be it forum, ticket or phone support is an insult to what customer support should be. Maybe it's the incompetence, not enough employees, not enough desire to do proper work or some other reason. But in any case it's on them to improve it. How can we improve something which we already pay for if this "something" is out of our control?

They are professionals (getting paid) and do not have the luxury of having an "attitude" like we do. Sad, but true.

And right now they are professionals that are doing very poor job.

Glad to see an effort 'cleaning' the forums

BUT

Please keep in mind that even in a constructive and civil conversation, people will get offended as that is the nature of human beings having different opinions. The people who get offended over nothing, are just as bad as the people trying to offend them by cheap shots like calling them names or attacking their sex etc.

Freedom of speech requires sacrifice. It guarantees us the right to speak our mind. It DOES NOT guarantee us immunity from getting offended. I hope you keep this in mind, when you go out doing whatever it is you're doing.

It's your forum, you can police it how you want.

With that said...

1) Since I've been subscribed, communication on this forum from 'staff' has been mostly M.I.A. This can be a huge instigator for negativity. It enforces those who believe you either aren't listening or don't care. For either of those perceived conditions, people are going to ramp up their criticisms or complaints with hyperbole because they think it is the only way to get 'staff' attention. More, much more, communication on the part of BW would go a long way to alleviating griping. Adults can tolerate an answer that isn't particularly to their liking. We can deal with "no" a lot better than we can deal with silence. Many complaints on this board are the same complaints that we've seen since day 1. Address some of them! Tell us "No, we are not going to implement chat bubbles!" or "Yes, we are going to add chat bubbles!" An answer, any answer is far better than silence.

2) Tied to #1... when communication does come from 'staff' it is often of the "Press Release" variety. Example... Makeb... No mention at all was made of the fact that this was supposed to be a free content expansion. A simple "We're sorry but the scope of this expansion is now such that we must charge a nominal fee...." The actual communication we got was composed of A) Pretend the previous information never existed and B) Horribly vague advertising. An opportunity for 'good news' was blown and instead it became a lightning rod for criticism. In summary, more communication, less bending of reality. We aren't stupid. Stop treating us like we are.

Really? It's no longer allowed to post a list with things I do not like, unless someone over there judges it as ''specific enough'' or ''useful''?

That is indeed new, never seen this in any of the games I played before.

Thank you for the warning!

Actually, I've seen this in every game but this one...until now.

A ranting post about "PvP balance sucks, I hate it, go suck it BW" is a post about a dislike without being specific or useful in any way. These types of posts are quickly deleted over Blizzard and SOE boards to name just a few but seemed to stick around here without action.

However, a post that states what is imbalanced with examples and without insults is specific and constructive.

Basically, if you have gripes you need to present them in a manner that is useful to those that can do something about them. And if you disagree with someones gripes you'd better disagree in a non-insulting way instead of disparaging them.

The only problem I have with their forum policy is that "constructive feedback" is at the discretion of the mod who happens to be online at the time. More times than not any comment that's not positive about the game will be deleted...I understand there are a lot of trolls and mean people on the forums but sometimes they go a little censorship crazy. You'd almost have to go to a 3rd party forum to openly discuss this game without fear of being hit with an infraction.

Wow someone necro-pulled this post. Everyone jumped on it. READ THE DATE OF THE POST!!

Why would that make a difference? They made a "promise". And they did it several months ago. Not several years or decades.

So ... in those few months they managed to bring low quality of their CS to even lower level. To level where it is almost nonexistant if you take this forum as a reference point. Has their forum usage improved in this time? No. They still think that the only subforum they are required to appear in is CS subforum.

So, please tell me why shouldn't we point that out?

Besides it's not like the posts in the CS forum actually accomplish anything as 90% + are variants of "known issue" or "investigating" and there isn't any follow up or progress on the issue reported.

Unless of course it affects the Cartel Market when there is at least a chance they will attempt to fix it (emphasis on attempt).