This game badly needs mods and macros.

Zingas

I sorely underestimated just how poor the UI would turn out. It is so uncustomizable it isn't funny. Health bars, buffs, debuffs, and the power bar are all WAY too small. You can't move or resize anything, I HATE having the chat box up the top.

Not having a damage meter or even a freaking combat log is ridiculous. Why shouldn't we even know how much damage we're doing? I want to know what the best rotation is for my character and I have absolutely no way of working that out.

Macros are a staple in every MMO, how can you just not have them? There's a nice focus target but it's practically useless without focus macros.

These should be top priority for the next patch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss this topic.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things in mind when responding:

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Thank you!

I for one enjoy that the game doesn't have most of the macros that exist in other games.

Why give players macros so they can spam one button for their damage abilities instead of thinking? Or spam macros that auto-target for healing instead of thinking? This ruins the skill-based aspects of games if you ask me; players should have to think about what to do, and develop the reaction time to do it. The less automation there is in playing the higher the skill-cap and the greater depth of gameplay.

UI modifications would be nice though (particularly customizable ability bars). Although, I can see an argument against this as well; standardizing UI options levels the playing field and makes balance easier.

Edited by DecimaPoiuytr

This games UI was made with flash we aren't getting any mods soon. I have friends who work at Curse who had a meeting with SWTOR devs a couple years ago to start implementing a team effort for UI development and approaches and they flat out said no we are not allowing it. They seem to not have the pulse of the community or just have the most arrogant development team ever thinking we can agree with all their decisions.

I think they have a pulse in the community. That is why they havent allowed it.

Whoever is in favor of addons is just beeing selfish and they know it. It will bring nothing of positive to the game. Stop thinking only of whats good for you only, and think about whats good for everyone playing the game.

I'm all in favor of UI improvements and Bioware is working on it. Gladly we dont have a lazy developer like blizzard, so we really dont need addons to come and ruin the game balance and design.

Edited by Nemmar

Of course people are right in saying that mods/macros aren't a necessity. When you think like that, then neither are mounts/sprint.

I still find it odd that so many people are against this. There's no way that Bioware wouldn't implement these features. Unless of course the Hero Engine can't support it.

What's wrong with mods? Why are people so against them? They have made every MMO I have ever played better. Who cares if it makes it easier to play the game. Don't use them if you want a challenge. Macros too. Some nice focus targeting macros would make play 100x more enjoyable.

What's wrong with mods? Why are people so against them? They have made every MMO I have ever played better. Who cares if it makes it easier to play the game. Don't use them if you want a challenge. Macros too. Some nice focus targeting macros would make play 100x more enjoyable.

So WoW was the only MMO you played? Because the ones I played (LotRO, RIFT, EVE, ST:O, UO, WAR) only allowed a very limited modification to the game, if they allowed it at all.

I for one enjoy that the game doesn't have most of the macros that exist in other games.

Why give players macros so they can spam one button for their damage abilities instead of thinking? Or spam macros that auto-target for healing instead of thinking? This ruins the skill-based aspects of games if you ask me; players should have to think about what to do, and develop the reaction time to do it. The less automation there is in playing the higher the skill-cap and the greater depth of gameplay.

UI modifications would be nice though (particularly customizable ability bars). Although, I can see an argument against this as well; standardizing UI options levels the playing field and makes balance easier.

I really feel like the people that are against macros and add-ons have a huge misunderstanding as to how the average player uses them. Most macros aren't cast sequence macros. Most macros aren't auto-target macros. Both functions can be blocked in the API and be made a non-issue.

You're saying no to things without having all the information.

I really feel like the people that are against macros and add-ons have a huge misunderstanding as to how the average player uses them. Most macros aren't cast sequence macros. Most macros aren't auto-target macros. Both functions can be blocked in the API and be made a non-issue.

You're saying no to things without having all the information.

Depends how the game implements them but you are correct for almost all games.

Macros are like...a really really easy scripting language, and seeing as how people trouble with differentiating between CSS and HTML (and why use both), I'm not surprised ppl don't understand what macros are.

If someone could create a "one size fits all" macro for damage or tanking then you would have to talk with Bioware for making such an easily mind-numbing character.

Also; macros do not auto-acquire a target and heal them. At least, the marcros that I know of. There are marcros that heal on mouseover (Using the current person the mouse is over as the target) but auto-targeting? Yeah, no.

You are looking at the worst case; I'm looking at combining skills and shortcuts together so it makes my job a little easier. Friend-or-foe selections for example: Why would I try to guard an enemy and taunt an ally? Why not combine the two via a macro so the same short-cut guards my target if it's an ally but taunts it if it's hostile.

It's one less short-cut I have to remember and still requires "thought" to be used.

Edit:

As for mods; they are tools and nothing more. Highly useful tools that should be used.

Bioware can create a million billion different types of UI's and there is still a chance that what they do isn't what I'm looking for; why can't I make my own UI and tailor it to exactly what I want? It saves Bioware the time and effort of making a million billion UI's and I'm happy because I get exactly what I enjoy out of the game.

DPS Meters: There are actually several barriers of entry into raids and one of these are in fact DPS. With one Heroic there are bosses with 2 minute enrage timers. If you can't beat em' in that time you are unlikely to beat the boss at all. A DPS Meter will help the person know if they are even capable of taking the boss down.

Threat Meters: Since when is more information a bad thing? You never want to grab agro off a tank and some fights threat is dropped so many times it helps to know when you don't have any of it.

Edited by Chasted

If someone could create a "one size fits all" macro for damage or tanking then you would have to talk with Bioware for making such an easily mind-numbing character.

Also; macros do not auto-acquire a target and heal them. At least, the marcros that I know of. There are marcros that heal on mouseover (Using the current person the mouse is over as the target) but auto-targeting? Yeah, no.

You are looking at the worst case; I'm looking at combining skills and shortcuts together so it makes my job a little easier. Friend-or-foe selections for example: Why would I try to guard an enemy and taunt an ally? Why not combine the two via a macro so the same short-cut guards my target if it's an ally but taunts it if it's hostile.

It's one less short-cut I have to remember and still requires "thought" to be processed.

If all they do is make the game a little easier then why do we need them....if the game is too hard to play without them being a little easier then the devs need to change the game for everyone, not allow after market software that imbalances things even a little.

If all they do is make the game a little easier then why do we need them....if the game is too hard to play without them being a little easier then the devs need to change the game for everyone, not allow after market software that imbalances things even a little.

It depends; it's something that is offered to everyone is it really an imbalance or an old individual refusing to change and learn to adapt to his surroundings? (Edit: I feel like I still play really well without macros however I can't help but feel like it could be easier to play well with them)

And maybe I used the word "easier" incorrectly; would the word "convenient" fit better? It would be much more convenient to combine skills together that naturally have two completely different targets but serve the same purpose (Reducing incoming damage to my allies).

Or helping combine skills together that have the same short-cut but with one variable being changed (Ctrl, shift or nothing for an example)

Edited by Chasted

Of course people are right in saying that mods/macros aren't a necessity. When you think like that, then neither are mounts/sprint.

The only way that statement works is if sprints and mounts are not part of the game as downloaded and can only be used by people who go to hardcoregamerneeds anedgeover others.com and download it.

Comparing an after market hardcore download addon to a game feature like sprint or mounts is absurd.

The mount or sprint is a part of the developed game and is factored into the overall game experience for all players.. And all players can use them if they wish by downloading the game.

Add ons and other after market "Helpers" are by definition not part of the games design and there fore much harder to factor in overall as a variable for the game users a a whole.

Bottom line....add ons give an advantage to people looking outside the game design as an

edge. If add ons don't help people play the game more effectively , then why do some people want them.

Edited by DevonDs

I would be happy with a more customizable interface. The way Rift did thier interface was borderline perfect. You could move your bars where you wanted. Size them how you wanted. If nothin else give us something like that so people can at least set thier bars up how they like them. When you've been so used to seeing your screel look a certain way for so long.. TOR take a bit of getting used to for us coddled players.

I sorely underestimated just how poor the UI would turn out. It is so uncustomizable it isn't funny. Health bars, buffs, debuffs, and the power bar are all WAY too small. You can't move or resize anything, I HATE having the chat box up the top.

Not having a damage meter or even a freaking combat log is ridiculous. Why shouldn't we even know how much damage we're doing? I want to know what the best rotation is for my character and I have absolutely no way of working that out.

Macros are a staple in every MMO, how can you just not have them? There's a nice focus target but it's practically useless without focus macros.

These should be top priority for the next patch.

Once again....no, it doesn't need any of that.