am i missing something about slicing?

LilTikiBoy

So from what I've managed to gather on this forum is that they made the gathering skill slicing require you to gather stuff instead of run missions like a mission skill to make a profit and somehow this is stupid? Am I missing something or are you guys all just to lazy to go gather with your gathering skill?

What your missing is it made the skill pointless as unlike the other skills when running missions you get nothing back but credits (ok you got a 1:100 chance of a plan/mission item) or a useless item that worthless depending on mission run.

Ok we can unlock lock boxes in the world right but these nodes are damn rare and only give a tiny amount of credits 300 credits for a skill 200 box. That if you manage to fine one that not bugged and your lucky if you can find more than 2 that you can open a day on most worlds.

Lets take a look at the other gathering skills I want metals/bio parts right all I need to do is wander of to where theres a lot of robots/beasts and kill them (there's no shortage of them to farm) and I will get ~2 bits per kill (now that the same as doing 1 gathering mission).

The fact is I never seen a gathering skill return less than 2 parts so that says the price of those mats is mission/2 or 47 credits each for the baby mission. <- Note that means that your Mats have a base price built into the game. As such you mission runs never return a lost you got 2 bits that are worth 47 credits each (that the minimum they should sell for on the GTN really it should be more IMO).

What do we slicers get? a box that gives us less credits then the cost of our mission, or an item that no one would buy. And the plans/mission items if we where to sell them at the price we need to sell them at to cover our cost would need to sell at 3k+ each and no one would pay that for them.

Edited by Kotli

What your missing is it made the skill pointless as unlike the other skills when running missions you get nothing back but credits (ok you got a 1:100 chance of a plan/mission item) or a useless item that worthless depending on mission run.

Ok we can unlock lock boxes in the world right but these nodes are damn rare and only give a tiny amount of credits 300 credits for a skill 200 box. That if you manage to fine one that not bugged and your lucky if you can find more than 2 that you can open a day on most worlds.

Lets take a look at the other gathering skills I want metals/bio parts right all I need to do is wander of to where theres a lot of robots/beasts and kill them (there's no shortage of them to farm) and I will get ~2 bits per kill (now that the same as doing 1 gathering mission).

The fact is I never seen a gathering skill return less than 2 parts so that says the price of those mats is mission/2 or 47 credits each for the baby mission. <- Note that means that your Mats have a base price built into the game. As such you mission runs never return a lost you got 2 bits that are worth 47 credits each (that the minimum they should sell for on the GTN really it should be more IMO).

What do we slicers get? a box that gives us less credits then the cost of our mission, or an item that no one would buy. And the plans/mission items if we where to sell them at the price we need to sell them at to cover our cost would need to sell at 3k+ each and no one would pay that for them.

I get what you are saying, and I think they need to up the amount of slicing nodes, but sending companions on slicing missions should not be the best way to make money from the skill. The best way to make money from a gathering skill should be to gather them out in the world. The missions should only be moderately profitable if at all. I have both slicing and bioanalysis and bio missions rarely give me enough product that I could sell them and make a profit., but I have many more gathering nodes than my slicing does.

Bioware could fix the slicing nerf by simply adding more nodes to gather from. Then time spent gathering would determine your profit just like all the other gathering skills.

the problem with this is if you have slicing and another skill lets say underworld trading

you both can do missions and both get rewards, but now the reward for slicing is less than what you paid for it, where i know the high end underworld trading materials sell for rediculous amounts

slicing has no purpose as it is, it doesnt help your other crafting skills like all of the rest do, it was meant as a way to print money without having to do the crafting, that was the tradeoff

now its good for losing money

I get what you are saying, and I think they need to up the amount of slicing nodes, but sending companions on slicing missions should not be the best way to make money from the skill. The best way to make money from a gathering skill should be to gather them out in the world. The missions should only be moderately profitable if at all. I have both slicing and bioanalysis and bio missions rarely give me enough product that I could sell them and make a profit., but I have many more gathering nodes than my slicing does.

Bioware could fix the slicing nerf by simply adding more nodes to gather from. Then time spent gathering would determine your profit just like all the other gathering skills.

Or the lack of nodes could be due to slicing being such a popular crew skill because it used to be free money with 0 effort. Now that a lot of people are dropping it I bet you'll see more nodes because their not being taken as often.

now its good for losing money

maybe the mission part, but its not a mission skill, its a "gathering" skill.

Edited by LilTikiBoy

Or the lack of nodes could be due to slicing being such a popular crew skill because it used to be free money with 0 effort. Now that a lot of people are dropping it I bet you'll see more nodes because their not being taken as often.

because all of the other harvesting and mission skills require so much effort and skill that slicing is obviously missing

because all of the other harvesting and mission skills require so much effort and skill that slicing is obviously missing

None of the other gathering or mission skills generate a net income from their missions.

Edited by Weeblie

As a slicer pre nerf, I found plenty of slicing nodes questing through Dromund Kaas through Alderaan (L26 BH). I haven't looked since the nerf, but I would bet that most of the slicers pre-nerf were spending most of their time running missions and skipping the relatively low rewards on nodes. Now since the missions aren't lucrative, they are all competing for those same nodes.

They require you actually find somebody to buy it off the GTN, or craft it into something that sells.... which isnt much from what ive seen. So the fact that slicing was pure profit without even having to move your character. you guys are all complaining about the "Mission" side of the "Gathering" skill. Sorry if i dont feel bad that you actually have to go out and work for your money now.

They require you actually find somebody to buy it off the GTN, or craft it into something that sells.... which isnt much from what ive seen. So the fact that slicing was pure profit without even having to move your character. you guys are all complaining about the "Mission" side of the "Gathering" skill. Sorry if i dont feel bad that you actually have to go out and work for your money now.

this is where your totally missing the point

the way the skill is now, its absurdly weak to have slicing, maybe before it was OP because of the ppl farming high level lockboxes with impunity and low respawns along with the missions, but as it is now you can send your pet to lose you money, or you can farm the boxes which return so little money its not worth it

why would you want a skill that barely pays off and only when you find lockboxes while your out questing when you could have any of the other skills that give you mats you can sell, or create items, or whatever, from missions, along with the same type of harvesting nodes you find as a slicer

people complained that slicing was OP and needed to be balanced, now that it was nerfed into oblivion, people dont seem to care so much about balance as they care that everyone else isnt getting something they werent

and just because you got mats instead of actual money, there is still plenty of value to those items, just because you dont sell them or whatever doesnt mean that you didnt profit from it

now all slicing missions for lockboxes just lose you money basicly, what the hell is the point to that?

Edited by Homegrownn

this is where your totally missing the point

the way the skill is now, its absurdly weak to have slicing, maybe before it was OP because of the ppl farming high level lockboxes with impunity and low respawns along with the missions, but as it is now you can send your pet to lose you money, or you can farm the boxes which return so little money its not worth it

why would you want a skill that barely pays off and only when you find lockboxes while your out questing when you could have any of the other skills that give you mats you can sell, or create items, or whatever, from missions, along with the same type of harvesting nodes you find as a slicer

people complained that slicing was OP and needed to be balanced, now that it was nerfed into oblivion, people dont seem to care so much about balance as they care that everyone else isnt getting something they werent

and just because you got mats instead of actual money, there is still plenty of value to those items, just because you dont sell them or whatever doesnt mean that you didnt profit from it

now all slicing missions for lockboxes just lose you money basicly, what the hell is the point to that?

You are the one missing the point.

1. Slicing is a gathering skill, not a mission skill.

2. Slicing was previously overpowered because of the missions, and not because of the lockboxes scattered all over the world.

3. Sending your idle companions out on missions is most definitively not sustainable on any of the other gathering skills. It's cheaper to simply buy the materials from GTN.

4. Statistics show that slicing missions, except for the lowest level ones, are profitable despite the nerfs.

Edited by Weeblie

You are the one missing the point.

1. Slicing is a gathering skill, not a mission skill.

2. Slicing was previously overpowered because of the missions, and not because of the lockboxes scattered all over the world.

3. Sending your idle companions out on missions is most definitively not sustainable on any of the other gathering skills. It's cheaper to simply buy the materials from GTN.

4. Statistics show that slicing missions, except for the lowest level ones, are profitable despite the nerfs.

i <3 u