1.3 Character specific legacy perks

Iwipe

Too bad the increased sprint won't make it heh. Not that I'm surprised it got cut heh.

All in all I'm dissapointed with the legacy system implementation. I expected a seperate progression system. I dunno, get a point every legacy level and spend the points on your "legacy spec".... but it turned out into a glorified credit sink. Sad. Could have been so much more.

I'm actually glad they didn't go that way. Age of Conan did this for the post-50 game, and it basically ruined everything. For one thing, it made it so that even some borderline hardcore gamers couldn't really effectively play more than one character anymore. It compelled a lot of grinding, and unbalanced a lot of endgame combat even more than it was already getting unbalanced by gear. I don't know...I'd rather just not see a game developer even attempt that.

While I'm underwhelmed by some of the legacy features, I'm willing to condede they might just not be for me. I am loving the hell out of the mailbox I have on my ship on live, as well as the astromech droid. Hell, I even bought some of the emotes. I'm definitely going to grab the convenience perks in 1.3, as well. So I think it's a good model. Nothing in there throws off game balance. It's all just stuff that's nice to have while not giving you any specific advantage over other players who haven't played as long.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experience buffs are only useful when leveling. They should be as useful to everyone, regardless of whether they are leveling 8 characters at the same rate or 1 character exclusively.

I disagree, I think that the game should be taken at normal rates until you have several alts that have been through the content.

I now have 4 level 50s (3 Rep, 1 Imp), and I really don't want to do much on the planets again for my 4th Rep. I might even only want to do some of the planets on my future Imps. Thus, at legacy level 35, I feel that the legacy levels 20, etc. for the highest exp boosts make sense.

Given how long it takes for Corellia to load on my computer, I would purchase it just so I get 1 loading screen instead of two.

This is exactly it for me. I don't like the long load times that make me miss PvP queues. It takes me 10 minutes just to get through the load screens, which is ridiculous.

Analysis:

I am extremely disappointed with the credit costs on the exp boosts, as I feel that should be so much smaller since it is only per character. Let's put this in perspective.

Repair droid for all ships: 1,000,000 credits (125,000 per character)

Warzone training dummy 500,000 credits (62,500 per character)

Mailbox for all ships: 500,000 credits (62,500 per character)

The Convenience tab fits this scheme well, with 50k startup cost for the Field Repair Droid, a 60k TOTAL cost with the Field Mail Droid, and a decently priced 200k cost for the Field Respec (which will also cost money after that).

The Speeder Piloting seems a little steep, considering that it is not THAT useful of a bonus after the first rank. The first rank is very affordable, and honestly, I will pay it.

The Priority Transport is very skewed towards the ridiculous though. For one, they should not have shared cooldowns. They are all for entirely different purposes. If you were to have a port to Ilum dailies and Belsavis dailies, then they could share the Black Hole cooldown. I also think that the Outlaw's Den should have its credit cost eliminated upon reaching Valor rank 50 or 60. I was really hoping for a pass to Outlaw's Den like the Fleet Passes you can buy from the Security Key Vendor. And the cooldown should be 1 hour on the Outlaw's Den pass, because there is absolutely no incentive to go there (thanks to completely dead open world PvP). I have traveled there on several occasions to pick up the chests, and it has been completely empty. Having a 1 hour cooldown will let me go check it several times a day to see if someone is there. It will be really annoying to use the 9-hour cooldown skill to get there and have no one to fight and nothing at all to do.

The Legacy of Leadership and Legacy of Crafting are good prices for what you get.

The Advancement perks should be halved in price. I already (with 4 level 50s) cannot afford some of the LEGACY-WIDE features. I have legacy level 35 for goodness sakes, I should get something for that without paying all of my expenses. I want to PvP and raid, not spend 8 hours a day running dailies. With my new Sage, I don't want to run planet quests anymore, I can practically quote them. I want to have fun with my class stories and level through PvP. Instead, I have to go play my 50s and get money for the perks. Kinda annoying.

Other than the stuff above that was opposite the current values, I am looking forward to this!

Okie, here is my constructive criticism.

Number Uno. The big thing:

Stop complaining!

The legacy system is something that Bioware give us and reading this thread its "underwhelming" there and "all to bad" there. BW won't listen to that cause it's not constructive. The "if I add up all the rank 5 blues it would take to cover the 15% it costs XYZ and it costs 250k (way more) to get the bonus" is constructive. That's the type of arguments we need.

Okie, now for my reflections (aimed at Bioware, hope you read it):

Want constructive criticism?

Read below:

A search on the suggestion forums for the term "legacy" in the title, returns 500 threads.

So as a try to concatenate the most asked or discussed ideas here's... one more topic ;)

1. Before anything else the most asked and viewed topic is about allowing players to change their legacy name.
  2. Then, not so surprisingly the second one is to part surnames (or last names) from the legacy feature.
  3. Going on we dig into the alt as companions at level 50

And don't forget to turn off the legacy creation name screen popup.

Now specifically about the legacy trees the requests are:

1. More links types:
    • Adopted sibling (for if you are not making characters of the parents)
    • Aunt/Uncle
    • Cousin
    • Twin
    • Mentor or Master
    • Slave (could add a strike-through for former slave, for Inquisitors especially)
    • Alias of
    • Unaware of Existence
    • Friends (vs Ally)
    • Enemies (vs Rival)
    • *Or (better?) a blank field filled by the player

[*]Not limiting link as (Adopted)Child for the links in the middle of the legacy tree (ie: not flat legacy)

[*]Keeping dead (i.e.: deleted) characters in the tree

[*]Cross server Legacy

[*]Link legacies to characters of others players

[*]More than one legacy tree per server, with ability to link them

[*]Add companions to the legacy tree

Interestingly enough players want to use the Legacy feature between their characters for sharing:

1. Cargo hold/Secret stash
  2. Credits pool
  3. Holocron unlocks
  4. Codex entries unlocks
  5. Social ranks
  6. Valor (since it is now purely cosmetic and has no impact on stats)
  7. Titles
  8. Achievements
  9. Crew Skills (Send other character companions on crafting missions)
  10. Gear
    • Heirloom for leveling
    • Wardrobes for look

[*]Space ship chassis

[*]Legacy Unlocks: choice of smaller fee for individual characters or more expensive for legacy-wide.

[*]Quick travel points.

[*]Reveal know maps

Now about the new stuff, players are suggesting, new:

1. Titles
  2. Gear & droid skins
  3. Weapons & Crystal colors combinations
  4. Body customization (Hair / face / jewelry / tattoo...) for characters and companions
  5. Character species
  6. Crafting recipes
  7. Speeders (single player, multiplayer & character + companion)
  8. Pets
  9. Armor decals
  10. Emotes
  11. Titles (ex: title for getting all the datacrons)
  12. More character slots
  13. Multi-Pet: bring out more than 1 pet at a time.

For convenience features we have the following entries:

• Travel
    • To space ship porting
    • "Home Point" bind option for quick travel ability
    • Speeder speed increase
    • Faster Quicktravel cooldown

[*]Manage our emails with our datapad from anywhere

[*]Access to the GTN with our datapad from anywhere

[*]Companions send (or pickup) mail packages from the space ship for the player

[*]Companions sell items for the player, both to traders and the GTN

[*]Increase duration for listing GTN Items (ex: 5 days, 7 days, 10 days)

[*]Increase max number of Items for sale per character on the GTN (ex: 25, 50, and 100 )

[*]Discount for Credit Deposit on Item Sale (ex: 10%, 20%, and 30%)

[*]Check mail on other characters

[*]Being able to use crafting-restricted items

[*]Reduced money sinks fees (1)

[*]Use the Ship Holoterminal to have all your level faction fleet dailies and weeklies to save time on the fleet

[*]Being able to change a BoP item into a Bind On legacY (BoY)

[*]Legacy Name as a pre-title.

[*]Manage crafting & missions for all companions through a centralized UI

[*]Manage all companions and character gear through a centralized UI

[*]Queuing a character for any instanced content while playing an alt solo

Then it seems players see the legacy as a nice way to unlock some major changes to their characters after character creation

1. Name
  2. Specie
  3. Body features
  4. Sex

On the companion system:

1. Players have requested to be able to change their companions name with a nickname.
  2. It seems sharing companions between alts is really looked after. (ie: playing Mako with a Sith Warrior or why not a Smuggler.)
  3. Being able to use 2 companions at once, mostly was requested to solo some instances.
  4. And finally really being able to edit the companions body through a character creation tool
  5. Customized companions should have the portraits change to the new customization

About classes now while dual specs are in the works AC to AC respec was requested and, once again IMHO would work well along the legacy system. Now to promote alt playing, this could be limited to players with already 4 capped characters or say 2 capped and a high level of legacy + a gold farmer fee :p

Note about the 1.3 speeder begin available at lower level, (LEGACY SPEEDER LICENSE) I'd suggest to lower it by 5 to 10(max) levels for each capped alt instead of lowering immediately to 10, depending on how much points or credits the player spends on that unlock tree.

Before leaving, IMHO the PORTABLE MAILBOX and maybe even the REPAIR DROID features looks like very much Wowish without making it better. Replacing these with the companion item transfer trough the ship and UPS to the player house (space ship) would be a SW improvement to them and a nice topping.

=========== ===========

I'd like to apologize in advance for all the great ideas I missed. As you can guess I did not read all the 500 topics. Still it would be my pleasure to add future entries posted here.

The Legacy is really a feature where TOR can shine, still I'd like to point at some major issues in the first iteration.

- The first being making the legacy a gold farmer dream come alive (2)

- The second being implementing features going against the lore by many players, and as such dividing the population in two opposed factions... but not in game!

- The third being penalizing players that already level characters with new species unlock as no specie switching yet.

(1, 2) Some data on the in game wealth:

......=> Credits distribution is roundly

• [0 - 400k[ = 80%
  • [400k -1M[ = 4%
  • [1M - 10M[ = 15%
  • [10M & >] = 1%

Finally I hope in the future The Legacy system will be less restrictive from not imposing a legacy name to obliging all characters to have (even not displayed) a same legacy name nor being tied one to the others.

P.S.: Gear customization and management

Btw, someone pointed out something that I didn't notice before. the Priority transport: Fleet vanguard vessle actually shares a cooldown with the emergency fleet pass (18 hrs) and ports you to the vessel for operations supposedly.. Not too bad for 50k I gues.

But the rest of them don't? Hopefully?

If they do then all the Priority transports pretty much became useless to me =/

I can give a pretty good review of the char perks:

I purchased "all- max ranks" of the advancement perks on a brand new level 1 toon.

I only ran my class quest. It started out as the usual finish at lvl 7 on the first planet. So I went to Coruscant and at lvl 10, I purchased rank 1 speeder training and the portable mailbox.

I ran about 4 wz's and 1 esseles flashpoint after lvl 10 and now I'm lvl 13 and have completed the prologue and have my ship..

I expect to now run the Fondor space mission to probably lvl 15 or so.

The exp for pvp seems the best of the advancement perks sofar, I highly recommend this one.

As far as the others (non advancement), the speeder training is great, it's awesome to have one on Coruscant.

The portable mailbox (rank 1) is also good and the 2nd rank of the companion sell junk is also good.

The enhanced lvling experience seems decent, posibly a bit expensive for those who do not know how to make money in an mmo, but for me at least making money in this game is really easy ( i also have max rank rocket boost and unity on all toons and my inventory has 8 rows on this new toon).

My main goal for this experiment was to lvl without doing the other quests ( just my class quest and some pvp added in plus a little space combat + misc). It seems to be working. I also like the adaptive armor ( been wearing a full suit since lvl 10) but that' another post I guess.

-Dein

Edited by Dein_Cathair

• Dev Post
Anyone know if the legacy perks for earlier speeder training grant you the speeder training as well?

The speeder perks grant the ability automatically when you purchase them, no trainer necessary.

As for costs and benefits, I appreciate the constructive and comprehensive feedback. I'm re-evaluating the numbers and seeing what can change (for example, I'm dropping costs on the companion affection perks and boosting the modifiers). Prices and benefits are not set in stone at this point, so thanks for helping test and evaluate them!

The speeder perks grant the ability automatically when you purchase them, no trainer necessary.

As for costs and benefits, I appreciate the constructive and comprehensive feedback. I'm re-evaluating the numbers and seeing what can change (for example, I'm dropping costs on the companion affection perks and boosting the modifiers). Prices and benefits are not set in stone at this point, so thanks for helping test and evaluate them!

Please for the love of all that is HOLY severely lower or REMOVE the credit requirements. The legacy "Perks" (they were referred to as "Rewards" at one point) should be just that. I have payed hundreds of dollars towards this game, I have played hundreds of hours. That should be enough.

My continued subscription and game play should be payment enough for these perks. I'm not asking that something be "given" to me. I'm not being "lazy". Again. I've payed HUNDREDS of dollars on SWTOR (not FREE) and I've played hundreds of hours (not LAZY). That should qualify me for most of the perks alone. Requiring MILLIONS of credits on top of that is just really really frustrating.

Thanks in advance :D

I noticed they removed the Sprint upgrades from what's currently shown on 1.2 Coming Soon Legacy Panel to what's in 1.3. I understand they improved upon the quicker travel by allowing speeders at level 10, but I was still hoping for the Faster Sprint. Places like EV where you're moving large distances between trash pulls and can't use a mount, I find this ability to be very helpful. I assume not all future Operations will be outdoors; and therefore, you can't use a mount in them... ? If so, I'd recommend putting the Upgraded Sprint back in the game system.

Edit: I also feel the Legacy Upgrades, (Lets use More experience for Space Missions) should be for all characters. I thought the whole point of the Legacy System was to bring all your characters together...? Allowing this would make people want to level more Alts, since it'll reduce time spent grinding the same missions on each planet.

Edited by Jaspless

The cost on the Mailbox and the repair droid are a little steep, since its per character. i would suggest you lower it for the repair droid to 300k total for all 3 upgrades. and the mail droid drop it by 30k. now if these benefited you across all characters then the cost would be inline. since you only have to buy it one time.

I also like to add that the higher your legacy level is the cheaper things should be to buy. I'm currently legacy level 50 I have done the grind to level 50 5 times i have done the grind to legacy level 50. why must i do the credit grind on top of all that. if this system is truly about leveling alts. shouldn't you get some sort of discount for your efforts?

Edited by Snakeyees

I've payed HUNDREDS of dollars on SWTOR (not FREE) and I've played hundreds of hours (not LAZY). That should qualify me for most of the perks alone. Requiring MILLIONS of credits on top of that is just really really frustrating.

I think there should definitely be more perks earned by legacy levels, but how much you've paid is irrelevant. These are perks specifically for time spent playing the game. These aren't veteran perks for having a sub or anything like that.....that's something more like the tauntaun pet they gave out, not a huge list of perks like this. But definitely agree that legacy levels should lead to more automatic locks and/or reduce the price of the unlock based upon how high the legacy level is.

While I can understand why some perquisites make more sense to offer on a character-by-character basis (for example, one might not want all of his characters to benefit from increased experience gain), there are other perks that for the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody wouldn't want them for all of their characters. Mostly, I'm talking about the Convenience features, which are:

• the field repair droid
  • the field mailbox
  • field respecialization

I guess the idea is they can offer these things at a lower cost if they're granted character-by-character, but we all know these costs are more or less completely arbitrary anyway. While it's not a big deal to log in to each character and purchase these convenience features on each one, I still think they should simply be placed under the "Other" section of the "Global Unlocks" category. If you think any of these features is a good idea, you think it's a good idea for all of your characters.

Just my two cents on that.

Or just give both options. Have one price for per-character, and then, say, three of four times that cost for legacy-wide. That'll make both the single-char players happy and the alt-o-holics who make more than 4 characters happy.

My overall feel on looking at this is the costs are too high for single character unlocks. I am also disappointed that the crafting unlock appears to be for augments only as I was hoping for general mission crits so it would help with getting the crit missions to find new schematics.

Wow, I hadn't even noticed that. Considering 1.3 makes augment crits *considerably* less useful, makes me less annoyed that I'm going to have to go out and kill things to be a better crafter.

In fact...didn't they originally say these rewards would be awarded with legacy levels, OR with credits - not both?

Nope. In none of the examples I remember them giving were items awarded with legacy levels. They were all "level to 50" or "complete class quest", or somesuch.. Don't believe legacy level was even mentioned. (I even seem to remember some puzzlement as to what the point of legacy levels was)

Or just give both options. Have one price for per-character, and then, say, three of four times that cost for legacy-wide. That'll make both the single-char players happy and the alt-o-holics who make more than 4 characters happy.

Yeah, I'd be fine with that. I actually think they should do that for a few of the character perks. Instead of making you buy them for eight separate characters, maybe offer them as a legacy-wide perk, as well, for a cost equivalent to, say, the per character cost X 5.

Well a couple more observations regarding cost:

All really do seem reasonable *if* you do not necessarily pick the final perk in each category.

They are not for for new players as you need a legacy to obtain them and are not really expensive. They are meant for new toons on exp accts in many cases imo, although not necessarily.

One example also really comes to mind, that's t he companion affection one based on conversations. I also took this one to max at lvl 1.This one alone will save me a ton of money in the long term. On the live servers I've used gifts to take multiple 50's companions to max because it's not possible imo to even come close to doing it w/o them. Even with the costs associated with the perk, it will save me *millions* of credits in the long term. I've not purchased the one based on giving gifts as I've not given any to the toon I'm taking up to chapter 2, as its not really needed.

Edit: for the record, 18 hrs /played and almost lvl 20 with all advancement perks at max. that included 6 fp's done today LOL

Edited by Dein_Cathair

I think there should definitely be more perks earned by legacy levels, but how much you've paid is irrelevant. These are perks specifically for time spent playing the game. These aren't veteran perks for having a sub or anything like that.....that's something more like the tauntaun pet they gave out, not a huge list of perks like this. But definitely agree that legacy levels should lead to more automatic locks and/or reduce the price of the unlock based upon how high the legacy level is.

I completely agree. I used the real life money to illustrate that we wouldn't be getting something for free. I'm tired of hearing that QQ on the forums, "OMG you just want everything for free!!! UR so layzee!!!!!"

My continued subscription and game play should be enough to unlock these perks. It takes a WHILE to get to legacy level 10 or 20...

I completely agree. I used the real life money to illustrate that we wouldn't be getting something for free. I'm tired of hearing that QQ on the forums, "OMG you just want everything for free!!! UR so layzee!!!!!"

My continued subscription and game play should be enough to unlock these perks. It takes a WHILE to get to legacy level 10 or 20...

I agree. All legacy perk should be free as a reward and incentive to keep playing once lvl 50 is achieved.

As it is Bioware are just trying to control every facet of the game and in doing have forgotten that most their Ops are cleared in within a few months.

Making certain perks charcater specific is just an abvious attept to bleed credits from people who level alts. I mean who doesn't most of the content on alts in an effort to skip parts the planets ? It's really quite pointless and they should be legacy wide.

Edited by EzoEo

The entire legacy system is a bit underwhelming if you ask me. I haven't purchase a single Legacy thing because of the absurd costs. Bioware was so proud presenting it, but to me it was a major disappointment seeing the money costs.

This would be me as well. My legacy is only level 7, but i haven't bothered buying a single perk. The prices are ridiculous, and the buffs decidedly "meh".

This would be me as well. My legacy is only level 7, but i haven't bothered buying a single perk. The prices are ridiculous, and the buffs decidedly "meh".

Now that you mention it, I also do agree with this statement. The whole point of gaining legacy abilities is by leveling your Legacy... not by having to spend millions of credits on each ability which only works for one character.

Okie, here is my constructive criticism.

Field Respecialization:

Notes/reflections: I love you, I love you, I love you! But seriously? NO cool down? I would actually suggest a 15 minute cool down to prevent switching spec super fast. Maybe even 30 minutes. But sure. I'll take no cool down if you insist. :D

Cost: OHHHH, cheap! This will be on all my chars.

Legacy level: *gasp* 10? I thought this would have like 30 or 40. I think 10 is waaaaay too low. Double it. At least.

I believe you still have the pay the normal respec fee. This legacy makes so you don't have to return to fleet so no cool down required.... Thoughts on the cost now??

Legacy level 29 and I haven't bought any perks. Was considering buying some of the new ones for 1.3 but if they remain character specific that's out.

Part of the problem with character specific is that if you're leveling a class you've never played before. You have to make a big investment for those perks, which is a gamble. You may get to level 25 and realize you don't like that class at all and don't want to finish leveling it. And now all of those perks credits are wasted. I'd rather just level without them and spend the credits on things when I get that character to 50, if they make it to 50.

If they did away with the legacy system (and my 29 levels of it) tomorrow, the only thing I'd miss would be the multi-class buffs, which wouldn't be a terrible loss. I just don't have enough credits to even touch the legacy system.

I don't think it’s that bad, maybe it should 150K vice 275K for all of them. I just joined the PTS, and my main hasn't been copied yet. Over my weekend, which is Thursday and Friday, I managed to get to 25 with a new character on the PTS. That's without any help from my 50s, or my friends, or any Legacy perks. Yes, it’s been monotonous to grind that fast, but it really isn't that hard. If I had 30% warzone only, I'd probably be in my 40s right now on a live server.