These 4 threads all ask the same questions,can we get answers?

Kianabamin

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=850584 M1-4X and Theron question

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=852317 4X and Pierce and future companions question

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=851489 Why am I gathering allies/companions?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=852364 I Don't Want You as My Companion

Will we be stuck if we don't complete companion quests?

If so, are you going to fix the game so we aren't REQUIRED to do these to continue?

Is there any GOOD reason why anyone would want all these companions anyways (other than a title?)

Thanks!

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuck how? When? Where?

If so, are you going to fix the game so we aren't REQUIRED to do these to continue?

Obviously you are not going to be required to have certain companions, since not every player will have every companion.

Is there any GOOD reason why anyone would want all these companions anyways (other than a title?)!

Yes, because you want them.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Stuck how? When? Where?

Obviously you are not going to be required to have certain companions, since not every player will have every companion.

Wow, you missed the point.

1) Stuck as in, will Theron ever give me another quest since he is still waiting on me to finish the M1-4X quest.

2) Currently I am REQUIRED to complete the quest for some companions I don't what if I don't want the quest stuck in my log or flashing as an alert. So while I am not REQUIRED to have the companion I am currently REQUIRED to complete the quest (no option to kill or deny the companion) to get rid of it so that Theron can give me another quest down the road (see #1)

3) Nope, don't want them all. Can't stand some of them. Would like to kill many of them.

Stuck how? When? Where?

You're right when it comes to an individual companion. If I don't want Xalek, then I can simply ignore the quest. The problems arise with a companion like Lokin. If I want Lokin, I have to recruit Qyzen before I even get the opportunity. If Lokin was my favorite companion that I wanted on all my toons, I am also required to obtain Qyzen on every toon (quite the grind).

Being able to reject a companion to progress on to the next one in the cycle is important if this will continue in the future.

Wow, you missed the point.

1) Stuck as in, will Theron ever give me another quest since he is still waiting on me to finish the M1-4X quest.

2) Currently I am REQUIRED to complete the quest for some companions I don't what if I don't want the quest stuck in my log or flashing as an alert. So while I am not REQUIRED to have the companion I am currently REQUIRED to complete the quest (no option to kill or deny the companion) to get rid of it so that Theron can give me another quest down the road (see #1)

3) Nope, don't want them all. Can't stand some of them. Would like to kill many of them.

You will be likely stuck with the quest in the same way that if you accept a story arc quest you are stuck with it as you can no longer abandon those types of quests.

You missed the point entirely.

PRetty sure it was right on point.

In a class arc, you are stuck at a point, and cannot advance.

Likely the same situation with companions. You are stopped at the one, and cannot get the next without getting the one.

Um, no, the op was talking about having quests in the log that the op does not want, as well as other things. Thanks for playing though.

No, the Op was complaining about having to complete a quest for another unrelated quest to start, not about it merely existing in their quest log. I have seen complaints about wanting to clear the companions quests so the icon doesn't light up, but that's not what this is about.

Um, no, the op was talking about having quests in the log that the op does not want, as well as other things. Thanks for playing though.

Right, but to that point, we need the ability to not want a companion unless they are going to be required on down the line. If a certain companion is going to be required down the line then it better not be something like M1-4X who requires everyone (Except Commandos) to do PVP.

If I am not required to have the companion, I should not be required to do the quest line and there should be a way to "Complete" the quest without having to "Get the Companion".

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=850584 M1-4X and Theron question

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=852317 4X and Pierce and future companions question

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=851489 Why am I gathering allies/companions?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=852364 I Don't Want You as My Companion

Is there any GOOD reason why anyone would want all these companions anyways (other than a title?)

Thanks!

Yes, you will be stuck on that quest if you don't complete it and will not get any quests later from that same quest giver. This is based on the requirement to get the Lokin quest being locked behind completing Qyzen, as they share the same quest giver.

Its not broken. Any changes depend on how much the community complains, drops subs, and other data in game, such as lack of people doing the required missions, thus showing its an unpopular feature. Most might actually be fine with having some stuff behind a content type wall. Its not a huge hurdle whether it be Qyzen's jaganath hunt, which I disliked a lot, or Peirce/4x's go kill the other faction in pvp quest.

Depends on what you consider a "GOOD reason". From what I can tell thusfar (we only just start recruiting companions for the alliance at the end of chapter 9), the only reason is RP, or titles, or just to say you have that companion. Given we have only just started recruiting companions, we don't know what side stuff or benefits they may provide in future releases and content. I'm sure they could simply answer your question with Yes without giving any spoilers, but you'd still have the question of "are they GOOD reasons?".

Yes, you will be stuck on that quest if you don't complete it and will not get any quests later from that same quest giver. This is based on the requirement to get the Lokin quest being locked behind completing Qyzen, as they share the same quest giver.

Its not broken. Any changes depend on how much the community complains, drops subs, and other data in game, such as lack of people doing the required missions, thus showing its an unpopular feature. Most might actually be fine with having some stuff behind a content type wall. Its not a huge hurdle whether it be Qyzen's jaganath hunt, which I disliked a lot, or Peirce/4x's go kill the other faction in pvp quest.

Depends on what you consider a "GOOD reason". From what I can tell thusfar (we only just start recruiting companions for the alliance at the end of chapter 9), the only reason is RP, or titles, or just to say you have that companion. Given we have only just started recruiting companions, we don't know what side stuff or benefits they may provide in future releases and content. I'm sure they could simply answer your question with Yes without giving any spoilers, but you'd still have the question of "are they GOOD reasons?".

It seems fairly silly to require you to complete an entire chain of companion quests in the future to obtain one companion in a game that advertised choosing your companions as a key feature. Not to mention it's a game where they know players have multiple characters and would have to do this multiple times for 1 companion that happens to be the 5th one in the chain. And you can't refuse some companions, so if you want Lokin, you have to obtain Qyzen whether you want him in your alliance or not.

It seems fairly silly to require you to complete an entire chain of companion quests in the future to obtain one companion in a game that advertised choosing your companions as a key feature. Not to mention it's a game where they know players have multiple characters and would have to do this multiple times for 1 companion that happens to be the 5th one in the chain. And you can't refuse some companions, so if you want Lokin, you have to obtain Qyzen whether you want him in your alliance or not.

Yeah I agree, but for whatever reason that's how they set it up. Essentially, Ayro or whatshisface gets so offended you didn't recruit Qyzen that he stops tracking down recruits for you, so if you want the guy to stop pouting and give you future recruitment opportunities, you'll have to go recruit the guy he wanted you to. That's kind of how I rationalize it while playing the game. But yeah, I wish it was different and I could actually tell Qyzen to get lost and still get lokin. All my characters have a know track record for being able to fight and have in fact killed more worthy jaganath targets than that lizard can even count. The best we can hope for on an answer for that is "we'll look into it".

I will be very unhappy if future companions are gated behind M1-4X or Pierce. I would rather forgo those companions altogether than subject myself to PvP. That would be unfortunate though, because why should I be locked out of getting future companions back on characters that used to have them already? That would be very poor game design. I would also say that this is not a PvP game, and that most players don't come here to PvP. This is a PvE game that happens to have some PvP. I think we can all agree on that, correct? Therefore, a lot of players would be alienated by that decision.

However, I would be fine with it if you could chose to refuse the companion (like you can Xalek), which would then "finish" the quest, allowing you to continue with future companions quests.

I will be very unhappy if future companions are gated behind M1-4X or Pierce. I would rather forgo those companions altogether than subject myself to PvP. That would be unfortunate though, because why should I be locked out of getting future companions back on characters that used to have them already? That would be very poor game design. I would also say that this is not a PvP game, and that most players don't come here to PvP. This is a PvE game that happens to have some PvP. I think we can all agree on that, correct? Therefore, a lot of players would be alienated by that decision.

However, I would be fine with it if you could chose to refuse the companion (like you can Xalek), which would then "finish" the quest, allowing you to continue with future companions quests.

Well it's a safe bet that we're stuck.

Since we now know you must get certain companions to get Lokin.

This was a really stupid idea BW. You tell us we can get "Some" of our companions back, but then you make it difficult for some, painful for others but worst of all, you make it mandatory :mad:

I guess Choices Matter is not applied here.

Edited by Kianabamin

Well it's a safe bet that we're stuck.

Since we now know you must get certain companions to get Lokin.

This was a really stupid idea BW. You tell us we can get "Some" of our companions back, but then you make it difficult for some, painful for others but worst of all, you make it mandatory :mad:

I guess Choices Matter is not applied here.

IF they make it mandatory. There's nothing indicating that you must get peirce or 4x to proceed in the game, or any of the companions that follow from the same quest givers. If that is in fact the case, then they will likely change it. At least only my main will progress to that point. As of now it all comes down to "I want to have so and so, but I hate what BW has required me to do to get that person." That may not be popular (could be that most shrug and do the required stuff like I did to get qyzen just so I could get lokin), and maybe even be changed, but its not mandatory.

You're right when it comes to an individual companion. If I don't want Xalek, then I can simply ignore the quest. The problems arise with a companion like Lokin. If I want Lokin, I have to recruit Qyzen before I even get the opportunity. If Lokin was my favorite companion that I wanted on all my toons, I am also required to obtain Qyzen on every toon (quite the grind).

So? They wrote the story and that's how they decided to make the story go.

Being able to reject a companion to progress on to the next one in the cycle is important if this will continue in the future.

You are free to reject Qyzen now.

It's Mandatory if I want to clear my quest log and not have a notification of a Alert.

Yes, but you don't have to clear your quest log and have future notifications. Its just something you want so you can enjoy the game better. You can presumably keep on keeping on with the game. If it turns out that you cannot progress in the game, then that's mandatory.

So? They wrote the story and that's how they decided to make the story go.

You are free to reject Qyzen now.

That's a dumb reason to do or not do something.

And to my knowledge, no, you cannot refuse the Qyzen quest, it just resets it for you to come back later and start it without allowing you to get the Lokin quest.

That's a dumb reason to do or not do something.

It is a fine reason. It's their story. If you don't like their story, don't play it. Just like if you don't like a particular novel, don't read it.

And to my knowledge, no, you cannot refuse the Qyzen quest, it just resets it for you to come back later and start it without allowing you to get the Lokin quest.

The game does not take control of your character and force you to do the Qyzen quest. Don't want to do it? Don't do it. It's not like there's a shortage of companions in KotFE. You only need 7 (at this point).

• Dev Post

I talked to Matt about Alliance, Companions, and your questions specifically related to accessing future Companions. Between this thread and the ones linked in the OP, I think there are two main questions you are looking to have addressed.

Will I need to complete currently available alert Missions to unlock future alert Missions?

As of right now, the answer to this is yes. Inside of each Alliance Companion type (Military, Underworld, etc), the Companion recruitment alerts are very much looked at like a Mission chain. Generally, you must complete one alert Mission before you will receive the next. Note that you only need to complete the Mission itself, not necessarily recruit any Companion associated with it. There may be exceptions to this later on, for story reasons, but this is the general rule right now. It is worth noting that this is something the dev team is talking about, so it could change, but this is how it works right now.

Will I need to PvP for future Companions / Will I need to unlock Companions like Pierce to access future Companions?

The answer to your question is maybe. We are open to the possibility of future PvP related Companions/Mission content which could require the completion of M1-4X/Pierce's Missions. That said, we would not likely have PvE related content require it.

I think that should answer the primary questions that you have! Let me know if anything requires further clarification. Thanks!

-eric

Will I need to PvP for future Companions / Will I need to unlock Companions like Pierce to access future Companions?

The answer to your question is maybe. We are open to the possibility of future PvP related Companions/Mission content which could require the completion of M1-4X/Pierce's Missions. That said, we would not likely have PvE related content require it.

-eric

Excellent news Eric! Thank you for asking and please tell Matt I appreciate him not backing down on PvP requirements. I appreciate the team trying to expose players to PvP.