What if Star wars Galaxies would be reopened?

DarthPeterNorth

I'm not a fan of the EMU because the system is PreCU which wasn't all that great...

The Initial Combat Upgrade - before the New Game Engine - maintained the non-linear advancement system, streamlined the combat situation will cool downs and a GCD rather than a queue and script, it removed the grind for crafting but maintained the unique crafting qualities, and it offered a huge sandbox of experience enhanced with a unique flow of development.

I loved the game CU to NGE and I will miss it.

TOR so far has done a brilliant job engaging me within the story and the visuals. The voice acting is excellent and the writing is intriguing and compelling. I'm very much enjoying the core of the game. If some details can be altered - chat bubbles, chat window/tab mechanics, combat logs, macros, responsiveness, crew skill elements, shadows and textures, and custom gear models or an appearance tab - this game could be the Star Wars adventure we've been waiting for since the NGE.

Edited by Jerig

No. It had its time. And it passed. Nostalgia makes things look better than they actually were.

I'll give you that for the feelings about the people, the initial experience with an MMO, and discovering the sandbox - but the mechanics: Custom decorated housing, Non-linear progression, Percentage based crafting performance tied to purity of sample resources - those aren't wrapped into the nostalgia blanket. Those are GOOD mechanics and were implemented VERY well.

No. It had its time. And it passed. Nostalgia makes things look better than they actually were.

I agree. And it's not even nostalgia exactly. It's that people forget the most important reason SWG pre-CU had such a positive effect on us: It was because of where we were, as gamers. We expected much less from our MMOs back then.

I remember shortly after launch, my big goal was to get to that cliff above Mos Eisley. I found the cliff and watched the Suns setting. I was happy.

Then I went into the cantina and saw aliens sitting around. Stormtroopers at the bar. People were RPing all over the place.

I just leaned back and said, "I ***ing LOVE this game."

I got my missions and ran into the desert (this was before mounts). I was in awe. I was actually walking across the deserts of Tatooine! The fact that the mission was "kill x" in the middle of the desert had no bearing on my enjoyment of the game.

Today, MMO's have evolved, but - more importantly - gamers have evolved. Above isn't nearly enough to elicit that feeling of pure joy it elicited in us back during Pre-CU.

So I think if SWG came out pre-cu, there would be a large amount of people that would flock to it, but I do believe all but the most hard-core supporters of the game (and the GCW era) would end up right back here.

Played SWG for 7 years and until the very last day. I loved every stage of it. Wasn't one of the crybabies to quit because of the NGE. I enjoyed NGE as much if not more than the rest(probly do mostly that I was best in NGE :p). To answer the thread, yes I would go back in a heart beat. SWG, even on the very last day and after 7 years of playing, still had so much to offer that I had not yet done in the game. They were also pretty good about adding updates every month or so consistently.

If it was reopened I would be resub right away. Playing this game has made me appreciate galaxies a lot more as the unique game that it was. With a modern game engine, better graphics and a bigger dev team there is no telling how great it could be. Even with the small dev team towards the end they managed to come up with great additions like atmospheric flight.

I loved SWG, but I probably would not return unless they updated the graphics engine and eliminated rubber-banding PvP.

I remember the game with such fond memories, I would not want to ruin it.

Went back to play X-Wing -vs- Tie Fighter about 10 years after it came out, and the poor graphics just killed some of the great memories I had of that game.

I do wish that BW had implemented some of the concepts in TOR though, like:

• OW-PvP
  • Crafting
  • Entertainers
  • Space Combat
  • Player Housing/Cities
  • Player/Guild owned faction bases

Just to name a few.

I would have a sub to both games probably. Many of the systems in SWG were unique and available no where else. These games are so different I am still surprised they closed SWG especially considering some of the godawful MMOs that are still alive.

Not really. How is it "nostalgia" when the game hasn't been dead for a whole month yet? I'm pretty sure people can still remember the game as it was 3 weeks ago lol.