Issues with Lightsaber Colors

Jemfisto

One of my pet peeves about SWTOR has to do with the lightsaber colors. For blue, purple, and red the lightsaber seems fine. They are sleek and looks how it does in the movies. However, with green and yellow (and others) sabers the lightsaber appears to become much thicker and worse looking. They appear to be more layered and the green has a yellow color inside the blade. The difference causes me to not use my preference which would be yellow, but to instead go with the colors that make the blade look better.

Here is the sleek looking blue lightsaber : http://www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/ss/gu_1-4/ss06-1600x900.jpg

Here is the fat looking multi layered green saber: http://torwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/swtor-2011-12-14-23-30-06-331.jpg

Ironically, a screenshot (probably from BETA) of what a green lightsaber should look like : http://images.wikia.com/swtor/images/7/75/Ss03_full.jpg

The contrast between the sleek blue blade and the fat yellow one : http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE4cwBunCt06CPOvLFFJ3jcEYgK6TLYBOHXI8Af5JsJtjnjRrMRClKqfXULw

PERFECT orange saber from beta : http://imgur.com/DCXaF

Consular class showing the perfect green blade in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEOcZTOrRqw

Not a top of the list priority issue obviously, but I notice you guys like to make aesthetic improvements in the game in the big patches, so mabye this can be solved. As a roleplayer and big star wars fan, it bothered me to the point of creating a thread.

Thanks for reading!

Post thread creation additions:

Many Beta testers have given feedback that a beta patch changed all of the lightsabers from their correct form to the new, worse form. Even the red and blue lightsabers were changed but they weren't made any thicker or had the color changed that much. To view all the lightsaber colors in their correct form, watch the class progression videos. (except for the consular video, as this was made post lightsaber change!!) This shows all of the lightsabers how they are supposed to look, with a white core and the color radiating around it. This also gives me hope as changing the colors back to this should be a quick fix as the models are already in the game!

Edit: This thread has exceeded my expectations and it shows that I'm not the only one noticing this issue. Hopefully Bioware sees this! Keep bumping the thread if you support this to make sure Bioware knows what we want.

:csw_yoda:Fix them, you should :wea_03::csw_bluesaber:

Edited by Jemfisto

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that IS annoying. I haven't used a green or yellow saber before, so I haven't noticed, but I'd like to sport a pair of greens when I start a sentinel, and I certainly don't want them to look like that!

I totally agree. It's the same for me except for the yellow saber. The blade is so thick and odd looking compared to the blue which looks great. Its unfortunate.

To each his own. I have the yellow one on my Juggernaut and I'm completely happy with it. Suits her much better than any other color. Might just be that she's a Juggernaut and likes the fatter-looking saber to beat people with.

I understand your opinion, but I feel like all the colors should have uniform blade shapes. It just seems very odd to me that different colors mean different blade width's/layers or whatever.

I actually prefer the coloration on the green/yellow/orange sabers too... it's always sort of bothered me how most of the white core sabers just sort of instantly switch from white to blue or red, whereas the green, for example, fades from white to yellow to green... It looks more natural to me. Just sort of personal preference I guess.

I have made this same complaint and suggestion myself. Nice to see others feel the same, my thread was ignored so I didn't think anyone cared.

Would be nice if they would let us pick our own lightsaber sound effects as well. Hate how some of these lightsabers sound different than what I grew up with. Even swinging them sounds different from saber to saber.

I would like to see these Lightsabers look and sound more like they do in the movies. These blurred out lightsabers that are hard to tell where the blade starts and the glow begins have to go. It's the very reason none of my Jedi use a green saber even though it has always been my favorite color in the movies. It just doesn't compare to the blue in game. If they fixed it, I would actually start using green. Like you said, Red, Blue, Purple look great. Orange, Yellow, Green, White and Light Blue are hideous.

Edited by Wraiven

I actually prefer the coloration on the green/yellow/orange sabers too... it's always sort of bothered me how most of the white core sabers just sort of instantly switch from white to blue or red, whereas the green, for example, fades from white to yellow to green... It looks more natural to me. Just sort of personal preference I guess.

I understand your point of view, but you have to keep in mind, Lightsabers were *never* supposed to look like that to begin with. It was never like that in the movies and it kills immersion for us. It's poor work on the team that does the Lightsaber effects and it needs to be fixed.

Edited by Wraiven

Quote myself on a similar thread yesterday

I started to believe i was the only one seeing that and thinking it was a problem with my graphic card.

Since we're about true colors, I'd also like :

• A true Orange without the same problem green has (yellow layer)
  • A true Purple like this one or this one instead of a purple with a magenta layer
  • A true Magenta. The Magenta code is R:255 G:0 B:255 or #FF00FF, like this. Magenta is not the Pink you gave us. (Evidence #1 #2 #3). Use paint or whatever drawing software you want, take the color of the glowing pink, look at the RGB code, the green part will always be around 90-100 and the blue below 200. THIS IS NOT magenta. Look at the purple with magenta layer that i talked above, do the same Paint thing on the layer, you'll get an idea what magenta look like : the RGB will be something like (250;50;250) it's not perfect but way much better.

If you want a rapid glimpse of what look like each color : here (thanks dulfy to have put them all in one pic)

PS : I do not own any of the screenshots linked, I googled.

Edited by Altheran

Your screenshots are all in different hilts. Try the same exact color crystal in the exact same hilt and see if the color actually changes the blade or not. Seems to me, the hilt is what controls the blade varient, not the color crystal.

I was going to say, I have noticed the layer thing with Orange blades, but have not noticed Yellow or Orange being too "thick". If anything, I've noticed normal Blue blades being too short and thin in all single-handled lightsabers. Try using a plain Blue crystal on a Body Type 3 Jugg once, it looks ridiculously short and skinny.

This leads to an interesting thought though: In the movies, previous games and books, not only did some color crystals define how thick/color/length of the blade, but so did the type of handle used.

The person above me mentions this, and maybe you should try different handles.

I use an Orange crystal on my SI PvE saber, and it looks like a normal blade, only "Orange".

I agree with everything in this thread. I feel like all of the blades should be consistent with a white core and the proper colored glow without the lighter shades added in. what gives?

Has BioWare ever replied to any of these threads with an answer? There has been quite a few (especially about the green) and I haven't seen any dev responses.

I really don't see a problem with them, but i am not one of those type of people that needs to have everything perfect and whatever the problem, no matter how minor it is, they blow it up into something a gamestopping problem would be.

You know what the solution is right? don't use green or yellow?

I would say none of the people really bothered by the green or yellow really use them. It's incredibly annoying when you can't make your character exactly how you would like it. Which is kind of the point of having the different colors.

It takes away from the experience. Obviously not in a huge way, but it is bothersome for people that really wanted to use any of the colors that were mentioned in this thread.

I would say none of the people really bothered by the green or yellow really use them. It's incredibly annoying when you can't make your character exactly how you would like it. Which is kind of the point of having the different colors.

It takes away from the experience. Obviously not in a huge way, but it is bothersome for people that really wanted to use any of the colors that were mentioned in this thread.

Oh, i get it, don't get me wrong, i do get what you mean, but i personally gave up trying to get my characters the way i want them to be a long time ago, i have even started to avoid grouping up as much as possible, while leveling up, because all people do is try to force you to space bar through everything and rush through things, it just ruins the fun for me. - which is why i think EVERYTHING pre-50 should be solo-able, to avoid any of this 'SPACE BAR PLZ' crap.

Quote myself on a similar thread yesterday

Great post. It only shows that they have the proper colors in the BETA, but for some reason decided to make them how they are now. Is it so hard to ask to have regular sabers white core, and one color without all this layering of different colors??

Just would like to note that I added a video of the Jedi Knight progression showing him fighting a Sith with a yellow saber that looks much better. (Why did they make the lightsabers look worse!! so frusterating ) Edited by Jemfisto

Just would like to note that I added a video of the Jedi Knight progression showing him fighting a Sith with a yellow saber that looks much better. ( Why did they take so many cool armor sets out of the game from Beta??? Why did they make the lightsabers look worse!! so frusterating )

Agreed. So many useless changes made...and for what? Did they think none of us would notice the difference? Pretty bad when SWG could get it right...a game older than dirt, yet this game *had* it right at one point then messed it all up for who knows why.

Annoying and frustrating indeed.

Agreed. So many useless changes made...and for what? Did they think none of us would notice the difference? Pretty bad when SWG could get it right...a game older than dirt, yet this game *had* it right at one point then messed it all up for who knows why.

Annoying and frustrating indeed.

The fact that this game is newer actually probably makes coding and coloring and such a whole lot harder, not easier. A refined and more exact system means that it's harder to make things exactly how you want them. More options equals more difficulties. (Compare writing a novel to writing a short story; the short story can get a lot more things right a lot more of the time because it's a lot more condensed and therefore is a lot easier in certain ways. Though short stories can be very hard to write well, of course, it's still easier to write a masterful short story than it is to write a masterful full-length novel.).

Edit: Still, I wish we had a more refined yellow/orange and a better color for green. Holy crap I hate the greensaber.

Edited by Flyceratops

*raises hand* I think I said earlier that I used the yellow crystal on my Juggernaut. I *like* it. It gets a really cool lighting effect from one of my skills and it's nice and wide to better beat people with it.

Great post. It only shows that they have the proper colors in the BETA, but for some reason decided to make them how they are now. Is it so hard to ask to have regular sabers white core, and one color without all this layering of different colors??

I don't think you understand how these things work. If you put a white core with a green glow... basically you've got a white saber with a green glow, not a green saber. It has to do with how the light on your monitors appears to your eyes. And different monitors have different results. It could be that these colors are all the same (in the coding, ie no change in width, but they *appear* different to your eyes because of the colors used. It's just that the yellow shows up more vividly on a monitor than green. Warmer colors tend to stand out more than cool colors do and they have a tendency to "pop."

Then again, I may be wrong.